Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This speech from Picard about technological advancement is awesome.

I love how he says "A bigger hut, a better bow"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VitalSigns posted:

Also the Borg Queen tries to tempt Data with poo poo the Borg don't even care about, like physical sensations, and sexy times, she just makes no sense. Like, is she an ant queen banging all those drones all the time? Or does being in the collective just feel like a constant orgy and that's why everyone who is assimilated surrenders immediately because it just feels that awesome to be a Borg. Which come to think of it might have been a more interesting horror than what Trek actually did, if instead of feeling repulsed and violated because he was forced to help the Borg against his will, Picard admitted that being in the collective was the most amazing incredible experience ever, betraying the collective was the hardest thing he's ever had to do in his life, and he has to struggle with this constant craving to get back in there and become Locutus again.

You mean like in the Nexus?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So now Klingon names use Vulcan rules?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Duckbag posted:

Also also, there's a reason it's called space opera.

Um. I didn't think that's because it's a reference to soap operas though? More like actual operas?

Like how "soap opera" was a derogatory term referring to a story sponsored by soap commercials

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just watching it again and

Holy gently caress but Galaxy Quest is a great goddamn movie.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it's not even really trying and Quellek's death scene actually makes me tear up

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sir Lemming posted:

My own spergtheory is that the replicator makes the most crowd-pleasing (across multiple species, no less) version of whatever you asked for, unless you can tell it exactly how to change it to suit your tastes. Which of course isn't necessarily easy, and is somewhat akin to knowing how to cook. So the average person probably won't know how to tell the computer to improve the food, and will just complain about it instead. On the rare occasion that they can eat something prepared by an actual chef, it's amazing by comparison.

You know what would happen in real life is that everyone would be giant babies and would pitch a fit if they got a meal that was even slightly different from the one they'd been getting in the replicator for the past fifteen years. "My grilled cheese sandwich usually has this little char pattern in the bread that sort of looks like a smiley face! This one has the char pattens all wrong!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What about the blood pie

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powered Descent posted:

I think I once read that they originally came up with the idea of a French captain as a nod to Jacques Cousteau.

And rumor has it that they were originally going to have Stewart do a French accent for the role, but it was so atrocious they told him to just speak normally.

Not surprising. Love the guy but Patrick Stewart can't do accents to save his life.

He read The Last Battle for a series of Narnia audiobooks and it is absolutely dreadful. He did the Calormenes as some kind of horrible cockney, and every single other character made me cringe in its own special way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arglebargle III posted:

Nah it's been obvious forever

I noticed it B-4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powered Descent posted:

Okay, be honest, everyone. Show of hands. How many of you have ever said this line to yourselves, even semi-seriously?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man we gotta repost all those Hugs Boson gifs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gonz posted:

Saw this today at the Hallmark Store.

Fuckin 4-footer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And now no one wants to repeat it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Worf just lost to his most fearsome opponent yet: a barrel

FAPPO!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If we're gonna do that we may as well talk about the transporter being used to copy rather than destructively move data/people, and about pooping in the holodeck

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gammatron 64 posted:

Stuff like gruesome violence and people swearing feels so weird and out of place in Star Trek. Which isn't to say it doesn't happen. There's that TNG episode "Conspiracy" which has a gigantic WTF moment you all know about. Before Discovery was out, the instant I heard they were like "well, this Star Trek is going to be darker and it'll have gore and f-bombs!" I was like "uh oh."

When people do swear in Star Trek, it's usually played for laughs because nobody swears in Star Trek. I'm one of those guys whose favorite movie is The Voyage Home and not the Wrath of Khan or Undiscovered Country (but they're up there.) I also remember being a kid and seeing Data go "Ohhhh poo poo!" had me laughing my rear end off because I didn't expect it. In retrospect I'm not sure if that was supposed to be funny or not, because Data was the comic relief of the movie, but the Enterprise was crashing after all...

It's certainly not uncommon to have moments of character-based humor during tense action sequences. See Bones' quips while they're loading the torpedo tube in WoK for instance.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WampaLord posted:

Fun fact, that repairman would go on to play Tuvok, a Vulcan! :eng101:

Also I think he was in Star Trek 6.

Let’s not forget his most memorable role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3iFJpGJiug

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WampaLord posted:

Yea, me too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMP5OKXrwCQ

Look at this CW poo poo. LOOK AT IT! EXPERIENCE BIJ!

Is the entire show shot by a guy running in circles around the principal actors with a camcorder on his shoulder and ducking and dodging baseballs getting thrown at him by the director, or is it just this scene?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even if you don’t know how evolution works it has got to be bonkers to believe that different individual people evolved separately from different ancestor animals

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VitalSigns posted:

The use of the transporter is Star Trek is often insanely reckless.

Like tons of times they'll beam over to a damaged or ancient ship without wearing space suits even though the atmosphere could fail at any moment.

In an episode of voyager I watched recently they beamed to a mining ship that they knew was full of toxic gas in some places that could flood everything at any time and no one wore a space suit :psyduck: and of course someone got horribly injured from exposure to toxic gas I forget who.

IS THERE AIR???

YOU DON’T KNOW!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey, there's always Babylon 5, where future comedy is Penn & Teller as vaudeville slapstick artists.