Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Namaer posted:

Why is it an assumption in Undiscovered Country that peace with the Klingons means that Starfleet will be obsolete? The Federation is still hostile with the Romulans, not to mention all manner of hostile probes rolling up on Earth every few years.

SYMBOLISM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I challenge anyone to come up with a better Kirk moment.

If you ask me i's tied with "KHAN!" Although I guess that qualifies as more as a "Shatner" moment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Insurrection was on BBC America last night and somehow I never got to watch it in its entirety before.

There are better movies than Insurrection, but I somehow liked it as much as First Contact. Gonna have to buy the DVD with the Frakes/Sirtis commentary, I imagine, from what everyone on SA says about it, that it's basically got a life of its own and I could probably just listen to the movie while surfing somewhere and still be entertained..

Timby posted:

The commentary is exclusive to the Blu-ray, I believe. And anyway, it's pretty amazing. Sirtis is clearly shithoused about a third of the way through.

As for the movie itself, it's an odd duck. It's a product of a writer who was mentally checked out from Trek, a star who had a level of creative control that he really shouldn't have, and a director who isn't particularly talented. With the cast it has, it should be so much better, but it's just so ... neutered. Nothing of consequence happens outside of Riker and Troi getting back together.

The commentary alone has been uploaded to Youtube so if you don't have the commentary on the disc you can just sync that up and play them together.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm honestly surprised they settled and allowed them to do anything. Didn't CBS pretty much have them by the balls after everything that came out during discovery?

CBS/Paramount themselves put out those new fan film guidelines a while ago (http://www.startrek.com/fan-films) so it may be legally tricky to say "No, you, specifically, can't do anything" when CBS/Paramount already said "If you're going to do something, this is how you can do it" to people in general. CBS/Paramount, at that point, I guess maybe would have to prove that this specific production planned to do things the production knew would negatively affect the brand in a meaningful way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MorgaineDax posted:

I posted this in the GBS thread, but I haven't seen it here yet, and it deserves to be spread. It's my favourite quote from the 50 Years books.

"The Dominion what?" -Rick Berman

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MorgaineDax posted:

Bingewatching Voyager leads to major whiplash sometimes.

Pathfinder: "Barclay, you can't avoid real life relationships by going into the holodeck to make friends that are programmed to like you! It's not real!"

Then the literal next episode.

Fair Haven: "Janeway, you have to avoid real life relationships by going into the holodeck to gently caress an Irish rogue that you reprogrammed to your exact specifications! It's totally real!"

That episode would have been better (but still not good) if it just treated the holodeck like the fucktoy everyone knows it is instead of the other characters being all weird about either Janeway loving with a sapient being (which the Irish guy isn't) for her own pleasure or telling her to treat it like a real relationship (which is isn't). Janeway wanted to get laid, just let her get laid.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey they actually managed to remember to put in a couple DS9 shots.

No I'm not bitter about how DS9 is treated why do you ask.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Not enough Akira hate in here.

Reminder: as designed it was supposed to be both a fighter carrier and a heavy assault ship with fifteen torpedo launchers :jerkbag:

While I do indeed hate the designed-by-13-year-olds "blueprints" of the Akira class (though it also says something about me when I even know about them) I still like the look of it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of BSG's problems with its spiritual stuff can be solved by removing all references to any kind of Cylon plan. As soon as that word shows up you start setting up expectations of explanations because how could the Cylons have a plan if they didn't understand it?

Also Kira is great. She isn't at her best in the first season though. Either through acting, direction, or both a lot of her anger comes down to just yelling a lot but then you have moments like that time she knocks Damar right the gently caress out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

It's the title of the first book my favorite Trek book series. Granted, not a high bar.

As far as Trek novels go New Earth is indeed pretty good. The last book kind of goes to some kind of strange places for Trek (though it has been a while, I might like it more if I read it again) but the first 5 are some pretty good TOS adventure.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess I'm going to have to break my crowd funding rule and back a flexible funding project on IndieGoGo.

Edit: I hope James Darren sings a song in it.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 9, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pacra posted:

They only get a month to raise 150k? :pwn:

Million dollar projects aren't out of reach of crowd funding, although IndieGoGo doesn't have quite the reach of other crowdfunders unless it's a huge project.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Data Graham posted:

At a certain point I feel like every actor who goes to cons would want to just wear a t-shirt listing all the FAQs about them that people ask them on panels.

But keeping up image is part of the job, so

I think it's the actor who played Biff Tannen in Back to the Future that carries around a print-out with all the most common questions and answers on it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Saw the episode about Nog dealing with his war wound.

I'm glad they got around to making a serious Ferengi episode and a PTSD episode. I'd say the way it was handled was really well done and using the holosuite addiction as a metaphor for the various other addictions people get into I'd say was well done. It's also pretty trippy to see that punk kid from Season 1 grow up into a proper Starfleet officer who ended up losing his leg in battle.

Aron Eisenberg and Nog are, in general, an underappreciated part of DS9. He never got a ton of main plot work, or at least the main plot work where he is the main plot, but he was always great when he did. "Valiant" RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUAD may not on many favorite lists but that isn't because of Eisenberg. "It's Only a Paper Moon" sits entirely on his shoulders and he handles it as well as any of the main cast would. And it's not just the late seasons either, he has a great scene in "Heart of Stone" before Nog joins Starfleet which shows that he had those kinds of chops all along https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcATQUFsz68

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MorgaineDax posted:

$160,389 USD raised by 2099 backers
108% of $148,978 flexible goal

We did it, nerds!

They should take all the extra money and throw it at Avery Brooks until he agrees to do an interview.

Edit: Like, even if he doesn't want the money, just annoy him by pelting him with rolled up dollar bills and only stopping after the interview.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 10, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I considered throwing in for that shirt because it does loving own but it would probably be too easily mistaken for an actual Che Guevara shirt and I'd rather not have to explain the difference because I'm an awkward nerd.

Maybe I should frame it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

showbiz_liz posted:

I do kind of want a real answer to this question but on the other hand, lol

Ferengi screaming. A joke and also not!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

From what I recall Vic appeared in like 8 episodes (when was he introduced, season 6?) and didn't sing an entire song in every one so the complaints about him always feel really hollow and whatever the reverse of rose-coloured glasses are. The one in Paper Moon is a montage so that's gets a pass (and, you know, the episode is "It's Only a Paper Moon"), you hear him sing in AR-558 but that's a recording Bashir puts on, and if you object to an Avery Brooks/James Darren duet then you're just crazy. So that's 5-7 episodes, assuming I forgot some, where you here a minute or two of singing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

gently caress yo frames

Resurrection or not I always figured the cylons in the final basestar to bite it must have been like "Oh come ON."

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 17, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Given what Patrick Stewart wanted Picard to do in the TNG movies I wonder how much he would have loved to play a Sisko-equivalent in DS9 - punching super-soldiers, gassing planets, blowing up all the ships. Frakes directed at least a few episodes of DS9, not to mention Defiant, so I wonder if they'll interview him too about his brief time on DS9.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tunicate posted:

For best B5 experience, just watch the G'kar and Londo episodes, skip everything else

You don't really need to know the story about JMS-the-elf-Jesus, or JMS-the-guy-who-bangs-an-elf

That's most of the episodes though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I'm watching DS9's Soldiers of the Empire. Worf has just started singing and the rest of the Klingon crew rolling their eyes at this is hilarious.

The "conclusion" to that ship and its crew is easily one of my favorite episodes of DS9.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember watching Lexx on Space in Canada because the parental guidance promised my puberty ridden brain nudity but I don't recall a single (understandable) instance.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They should rent some costumes, hire a high school play set team, buy some model minatures, and film their own with a iPhone camera.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Someone check if it works for seasons and/or individual episodes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ikasuhito posted:

Indeed not, your much easier to provoke.:smug:

The problem with that is that it you're provoking the Sisko.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, Martok's wife is amazing. I love how Worf is basically all "just do whatever she says" when Dax knows the only way to earn her respect is to stand up to her.

Sort of. Dax stood up to her but was such a know-it-all about it and refused to follow any tradition that the only was she was accepted at the end was to bow down to the matriarch. ...which isn't the best message in a marriage episode now that I think about it but whatever, Klingons.

Basically stand up to Sirella but do whatever she wants anyways because otherwise :ese: just with a Klingon hat

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I describe Star Trek 5 as a collection of some amazing, truly great, Star Trek moments but absolutely nothing leading to those moments.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I still like DS9 but my god did I hate the wormhole aliens.

They opened season 6 with a deus ex machina and it just sucked the tension right out of the rest of the war. Oh gee, this is really exciting, what if the Federation loses the next battle the consequences will be...uh...Sisko has to go ask his mommy to magic the bad guys away again, I guess?

It's not a Deus Ex Machina. There was no problem that the writers had no way out of they needed to solve with divine intervention. They had set-up everything they needed to solve the problem without anything to do with the wormhole aliens. All they needed to do was have Rom disable the phasers 1 second earlier like a typical resolution. But they didn't. Sisko went into the wormhole to plea with his actual gods (at a cost) to defeat a group of beings who want everyone around them to think of them as gods so they'll be left alone. It couldn't be a more appropriate way of kicking the Dominion off the station.

Also it's shown that the wormhole aliens have little direct influence outside of the wormhole itself outside of the orbs, which don't really manipulate anything permanently. So unless the entire war was going to take place inside the wormhole that's a silly complaint. Plus the minefield itself was basically magic anyways, just dressed up in Star Trek technology.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 27, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tunicate posted:

The wormhole aliens are just another jumped-up alien race. They're no more gods than the changelings are.

Yes, I know. In the framework of the show however they most certainly are, at least in their little domain of the galaxy. "You want to be gods, then BE gods." Yes both of them call themselves gods and both groups who wield enormous amounts of power. But only one of them wields power entirely of their own. With a wave of a hand one saved the galaxy from the other and the only thing the changelings can do is run away, close enough for me.

This isn't to say that anyone who doesn't like that ending has to now, just that in a storytelling sense - structurally, thematically, in line with characters - there isn't anything wrong with it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

My DS9 watch continues with 'Who Mourns for Morn?'. Quark has just encountered two aliens from the Goodfellasian system, and they're fantastic. :allears:

There's nothing in here but worthless gold!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't remember that part. I thought it was the Romulans using some kind of mind control device on him.

Haven't watched it in ages, granted.

After Riker figured out the first illusion was as such it was "revealed" that he was in a Romulan holdeck but things were still off so eventually he figured that illusion out too and came back to the real world.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Odo is a credit to his people.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Don't say transporters" is like the first thing you need to do when talking about any kind of Star Trek technology.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Quadralithium ore and biomemetic gel can't be transported, sooo...

Come to think of it, can latinum be transported? You'd think not, but then of course Voyager transported omega particles ugh

I think that was things that can't be replicated, though I guess it is kind of a form of transportation. Replication is the second thing you don't talk about when talking about Star Trek tech though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Duckbag posted:

This would be a ridiculous and stupid approach because the old station name would still exist on lots of records and documents and be used in common speech and would cause lots of pointless confusion. Which... sounds like what the navy would do to me.

Maybe he made a typo.

1701 was probably taken aaaaages ago.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Sounds like getting between the primary and secondary hulls of the Oberth class. Who the hell thought turbolifts running at 45 degree angles were a good idea?

Probably the descendants of the people who built the Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Timby posted:

Because Drexler is not a good designer. He's a fan of Gabe Koerner's hideous concept for a rebooted 1701:

I think this would be a lot better with different paint and/or lighting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Oh. Yes.

Trip report: DS9 season 1, episode 9 "Move Along Home."

Someone please tell me it only gets better from here. How did these shows survive? I realize television has always been mostly a wasteland, but were we that desperate?

TNG seasons 1and 2 say yes, we were.

Anyways if you get to the end of Duet, one of the final season 1 episodes, and still think the show needs to get better than you are beyond saving. There are still bad episodes to come after that but it's one of the high water marks of the entire series and shows exactly what DS9 was capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I had to look up the Storyteller, and I am glad I forgot that episode existed. What a snorefest.

Voyager encounters a planet where culture is based entirely on games. While introducing the Aliens to Poker, the aliens catch Tom Paris cheating they force him to play one of their games. Janeway, Torres, Kim and Kes find themselves in a bizarre maze full of strange people and traps. Neelix incessantly bothered Tuvok while he tried to figure out what happened to the crew.

Did...did Voyager copy Move Along Home?