Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was you, two months ago. I'm starting S6 soon but compared to other shows I was watching from start to finish, Voyager has been exceptionally slow because it's so bad at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Logically, yeah, but in terms of making a Star Trek show, that would have required one of the core cast to be a science officer for the pilot, to be moved into a pseudo-doctor role for the rest of the show - in practical terms, using an important cast member as a holographic doctor achieves the same thing and gives you ~hologram!~ shenanigans on top.

Using Paris as a "nurse" briefly makes some sense if you're just fresh out of options, but bringing him back in that role after Kes "evolves" is dumb. They totally should have used someone else at this point, but then you'd need a recurring role (because the doctor has become such a fixture by then so he and sickbay showed up every 2nd episode or so) just for that and why do that if you just want to use the same ten or so people for everything, right? :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Voyager may be better on average than Enterprise, but their worst episodes are no joke the most awful Star Trek I've ever seen.

I just watched the episode Spirit Folk (S06E17), aka. Fair Haven Part 2. Of all Star Trek holodeck and Voyager episodes, this is easily the worst one. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I also liked that they ran out of technobabble so we have another case of "deciwatt" holograms. Oooh, all those... tenths of watts :laffo:

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 29, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Longbaugh01 posted:

Well A. They wouldn’t know what they were missing anyway and had a full galley and Chef.

B. Voyager already ran out of enough power to use the replicators by at least episode 3.

I think my point has been missed that there is no sense of being in this fairly dire predicament. It’s not just about homesickness and missing people, it’s about being in a completely uncharted, and probably dangerous, area of the galaxy without any hope of Federation support (yes I know they gently caress this up later), yet there being no sense of this among any of the crew so far. I know it’s a Star Trek show, and I know it’s early, but you really should feel what the stakes are. And yes you could argue that both previous Enterprise crews were in similar circumstances, but they had the means of support, replenishment, and shore leave on safe and official facilities.

Basically what I’m saying is that nothing about Voyager has impressed me so far in comparison. Interesting set up premise. Poor execution. Thus far.
Oh I don't think people missed that point, because that's the main criticism of the entire show. They waste a good premise almost instantly and then go on making TNG Mk.2, just with a blander crew. Every episode in which they encounter something that should have consequences (major obstacle on the way home, but also magic technology that could bring them home faster) almost everything is reset to how it was before that episode, with few exceptions. There's one short arc hinting at what could have been in a later season, but IIRC that also gets resolved and reset after the 2-3 episodes it lasts.

There are a few fun episodes in VOY but overall it's just a great example of how to waste a potentially great setup to make something safe but average instead.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The plot of Voyager is mostly garbage (especially compared to DS9) but the crew gets better once 7of9 shows up, I liked most of the Seven and Doctor episodes but they don't come until later in the series. The beginning was particularly dire.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The 37s was pretty awful but you should watch it just for the amazing ending :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Don't forget THE CITIES!!!!
Haha that's the part I meant :laffo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Kazon have interstellar spaceships and are a major threat in that corner of the quadrant but they somehow can't make water out of some of the most common elements in the universe.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Major threat to Voyager a few times, for some reason.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Longbaugh01 posted:

By the way, besides BOOM SALAMANDER SEX the thing that struck me as the dumbest was just its treatment of how evolution works.
There will be more of that in later Voyager episodes :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you're at the point China is sinking US aircraft carriers you're not that far from nukes and Clancy chat.

But one step closer to Star Trek :thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

If you can find and watch Blunt Talk, Stewart is basically playing a comic exaggeration of himself there.

That show should have gotten more seasons :colbert:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's just like fear of flying, of course it would exist.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

Like everything else in Voyager, the Kazon ran headfirst into the tension between doing something interesting and still being able to write bog-standard TNG episodes.

Low-tech, lovely, rival space gangs could have had some cool possibilities, but not as generic adversaries. Instead of sticking with the idea that Voyager wildly outclassed these dudes and writing to that fact, the writers just kept coming up with increasingly stupid ways for Voyager to get its rear end kicked by the dumbest species in the quadrant.
Even lower-tech idiots who don't know how to replicate water could have been a credible threat to even less developed races in that sector of the delta quadrant, and possibly even to a single Voyager cut off from federation supplies and support, but they did it in the absolute worst way possible (those incredibly stupid ways how Voyager keeps getting its rear end kicked across two seasons) so the budget Klingons quickly went from funny to irritating to me.

I just looked them up on Memory Alpha again just to see what sort of ships they got to use and :laffo:...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Honestly Voyager isn't even that bad. Like at least its loving Star Trek. I don't what the gently caress Discovery , Enterprise , and Picard are.

The only problem with Voyager is that Neelix is on the show and goddamn Neelix is the worst Star Trek character.
It's not actively bad like much of the new Trek shows, despite some dumb plotlines. It's just really boring a lot of the time, and disappointing because they squandered nearly every bit of potential of the show's premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Oh, I know, I've read Kevin J. Anderson's Dune stuff. :v: (Although KJA's writing made so much more sense to me when I learned that he doesn't actually outline his work, he just records his string-of-consciousness ideas for a story, and lines of dialogue, into a tape recorder while he's doing something like hiking, and builds a book from there.) I just think that Zahn has a real tin ear for dialogue and it's his biggest weakness as an author.

Edit: Just take a shot every time Zahn has a character say "Point" in response to someone saying something in the Thrawn books, any of them. You'll need emergency transport to the hospital due to alcohol poisoning by three-quarters of your first book.
Now I'm angry at this guy and his terrible books again, thanks :argh: