Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Pararoid posted:

As much as people tell me there are good shows being made at the moment, I seem just to watch Star Trek and Stargate on loop. In general I each episode seems relatively fresh to me when I come back around to it every few years. I can't be the only one.

Nothing wrong with that :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I was so sad when that comic turned out to be based on a lie. Why you gotta be like this Roddenberry :smithcloud:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I'm a little baffled as to why the TNG crew got movies besides "successful tv show." Otherwise we should have gotten the DS9 spy thriller we deserved :(

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Is this some Bush did 9/11 poo poo?

I don't remember forcing Saddam into service to help us design superhuman anti-terrism weapons.

Well 9/11 WAS the first instance of fire melting steel :smuggo:

But yeah apparently the screenwriter is a total creep that thinks Bush did 9/11 for TEH OIL or some poo poo and he got a gig to put it on the silver screen.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Just finished a rerun of The Most Toys. I think this is my favorite Data episode because he tries to ice the villain at the end and then lies about it with no regret.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Sash! posted:

But he's from Starfleet and I have it on good authority that they don't lie

Are you going to trust that hew-mon propaganda?????

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Science fiction writers often don't know anything about science.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
How successful is under 2.0 these days?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I really wish Gene had started a cult.

I bet this was one of the greatest regrets of his life.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Gonz posted:

The new show starts in 5 months, and Fuller & Co. haven't mentioned the new cast, or definitively when the show is set.

What the hell kind of production is this?

It's probably bad.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Tunicate posted:

He kept getting told to make the music worse because if it was too good it was too noticable.

It's a sad day when the staff feels threatened by a composer.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
So on thread's recommendation I picked up a copy of the Gene Roddenberry biography. Pretty fascinating stuff but geez he was a piece of work. He was a real spoiled brat about women and suffered Impostor Syndrome to the point that he flat out couldn't produce anything without riffing off someone else's writing. It's sad to see how he fell apart at the end of his life but still, wow. :stare:

:rip: Gene.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're saying she will be a Lt. Commander

lol the Axanar supporters are freaking out because apparently this may be set right when that show would have been going on?

Good, Axanar should suffer.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The Orville is an open-faced cheese and tomato pie with Italian seasoning, but do not call it a pizza

It's a calzone, a pizza that's slightly harder to eat.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The devolution episode is lit, cat iguanas rule!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

What the gently caress is happening

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
After everything that's come out I wouldn't be surprised if all the Star Trek actresses had horrible experiences on set.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Windows 98 posted:

Riker cooking the gang an omelette like a smug rear end in a top hat only for it to turn out terrible was really enjoyable

the best owns are Riker's self-owns.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It's a scaaaaaaaaaaaam

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
lol, wrong thread, but I will contribute and say that weirdly enough many time travel episodes on Trek manage to be good and interesting. Time's Arrow is weird but delightful.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Mark Hamill is correct when he says that TLJ Luke's characterization is driven by the needs of the plot. There's no way the suicidally earnest paladin from RotJ would behave the way he does in TLJ but they needed to make a movie set 30 years later with new stars so Luke's character has to change.

Maybe the reason fans don't like new entries in 40+ year old series is that they're bad.

Are you trying to say resuscitating elderly brands isn't a good artistic decision?????????????

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
IMO the main problem with Luke's characterization in VIII is that it's really loving stupid. Just really loving stupid. I don't care about the accuracy of it, it's just pants on head retarded to have Luke Skywalker creep into his nephew's bedroom like Uncle Badtouch and have his entire subplot hinge on that event.

Star Wars is loving dumb.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 24, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Timby posted:

No, it's pretty clear, from various interviews. Fuller:

- Wanted a single-season-story / anthology show
- Came up with the Klingon War concept and a broad arc for the series, which may or may not have been thrown out
- Went with the McQuarrie design
- Wrote the first two episodes
- Edit: Got loving fired because all he could come up with in more than a year was two scripts

And that's about it. Berg and Harberts were quoted in interviews saying that they saw the third episode as "their" pilot. And that language really further explains the 15, instead of 13, episode order.

oh jesus christ Fuller should know better than that

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

Going by memory of the Trek thread, there's also
- Lying to Tony Todd; telling him he was working on an official Trek thing. And then of course he got mad and quit after learning it's not. But they still promoted the project with him part of it.
- It seemed like at one point Peters was hoping CBS/Paramount would settle by "purchasing" Axanar and official-izing it; and give effective creative control of Star Trek to him. The gently caress?
- Yet still managed to convince a bunch of toxic Trek fans that CBS was the bad guy here. (If you look at the official Trek and Discovery facebook pages, there's typically plenty of dumb pro-Axanar comments.)

I haven't followed it too closely, but this is supposed to have a lot of critical reporting of it.

The Axanar scammers can choke but it makes me wonder how far they're willing to take this scam. Seems pretty obvious they'll steal the money and not produce much.

Paramount needs to clean this shitheel out. gently caress him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

"I liked it!"

"Would you watch [Discovery] again?"

"No!"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I'm starting to think this Gul Dukat fellow might not be all that great

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It baffles me that Star Trek does in fact have a gritty and horrifying backstory that includes 2 nuclear holocausts and that there aren't any screenwriters or directors bright enough to take advantage of this, mostly because it would be a nice way to show why the Federation's utopian optimistic vision is actually super important and that that Earth had a very good and desperate reason to want it. The series finale would be humanity shedding our foibles and making that desperate attempt for a brighter future.

First Contact is great because it actually showed the first contact, and that humanity is actually capable of greatness even when kicked down. Do that for a show, have characters actively doing the right thing even when it's hard.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 10, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

That's a thing with trek, we usually are only exposed to a society's military and ruling elite and don't see the actual normal people, so it's hard to get a good feel for what the culture is actually like or how much diversity is there. I mean if an alien startrek depicted earth right now they'd think our culture was entirely focused on the corrupt amassing of wealth and power backed up by vast armies of hired or conscripted killers. We'd be a lovely one-note species centered around short sighted greed gained through horrific oppression and exploitation that made the ferrengi look nuanced. Then later in this alien trek's version of DS9 they'd introduce some human dissidents who think destroying the planet for short term personal gain is in fact bad, some human scientists who are genuinely curious about the cosmos and expanding our knowledge for reasons other immediate than wealth or power, and all sorts of every day civilians unhappy with the status quo and wishing they could live in some sort of peaceful utopia.

Then some people would complain that this series painted the 100% evil horrific genocidal humans as too nuanced and made excuses for their terrible actions. That it was confusing that there was that human politician character that was pretty charismatic and often made a good case for how he was simply doing his best within the confines of a flawed system, but if he was actually good like he said why did he keep doing bad things???"

not an empty quote

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
no you guys see DS9 is too problematic to be True Trek

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mike the TV posted:

Even so, dozens of crew died in that specific episode when the Borg sliced open the Enterprise.

Didn't he also bring them back because he felt sorry for Picard?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

skasion posted:

Then why not jettison the whole franchise and sell a new show?

because then you have to make an original IP instead of making money off creative bankruptcy. There's no point in originality when you can point at something beloved and say "THAT'S SO STUPID" and people eat it up and even join in saying that the beloved thing is stupid and worthless.

Star Trek is not the first to undergo this.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
<rant>

the problem with Discovery is not that it throws continuity out the window, the problem is that Star Trek is dead and should be remembered, not hauled out of the grave. It's insulting to see a sooper srs!!!!!! grimdark show making :cry: faces and call itself Star Trek because that's just a GoT rip off that's wearing Star Trek's rotting flesh as a suit.

It would be nice if we got a Star Trek show that encouraged optimism and a bright future for humanity. Star Trek can have dark themes but the whole point of the show is that it's humanity at its best after putting aside the conflicts of the past and triumphing against our fallen nature.

But we're not gonna get that show because everyone has engorged themselves on :lost: and BSG and Game of Thrones and they want more stupid grimdark poo poo. So Star Trek is dead and it should stay that way.

</rant>

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Tighclops posted:

I don't think it was necessary to spoiler that since it's arguably true that the things that once made Star Trek fun and good are now found in various other projects, and that's ok to be tired of a decade of edgelord boohoo bullshit permeating everything

I spoilered it so that people could scroll past it without having to skim my venting if they didn't want to see it, I was attempting to protect the eyes of readers!!!

Edgelord Boohoo Bullshit is now the name of my new rockband btw.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

How the hell did Tasha Yar get into Starfleet Academy? We saw in that episode with Wesley and the blue dude that they only accept the very highest scoring nerds. If Tasha spent her whole life running from rape gangs and scavenging for cat food, how the hell could she be in a top percentile in warp physics or neutronium engineering?

She aced the physical test by out running every man on the field

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

your party...so hearty!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The Finers Arts: The TV IV: Star Trek: Troi and Geordi enter the Holodeck with chips and suspicion

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I remember the Vulcan officer from Lower Decks was fairly chill and didn't lose his temper, but it's been a few years since I've seen it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Well, over on Disco, the Enterprise showed up, and she's got a lot more blue glowies and speed holes in the pylons.

I'm sure the writers will be mature with their fans-

https://twitter.com/karterhol/status/952263180952141824

Never mind.

The sad thing is, most of the redesign, like the slight extra detailing and metallic hull, could've worked. If not for the aforementioned glowies and holes. Which weren't at all necessary to make it more modern.

Anyway, this is going to be a hot button topic in Trekland now, I'm sure.

Twitter is cancer and twitter users are metastasized tumors.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

MikeJF posted:

That's one of the show's creatives.

Ah yes starting fights with your target audience, that'll work out well! Just ask Stargate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

What happened with Stargate?

It was a long time ago so my memory is fuzzy...but my experience in the Stargate fandom was that the creators and the fans had a really toxic relationship that started with killing of Daniel Jackson and way past that into SGO. I remember Joe Malozzi (sp?) getting involved in backbiting on social media when that was taking off. Pre-twitter days though so good luck getting details and admittedly my memory is bad.

Anyway the creators got too involved in addressing the fans via cons and in the shows and it brought the quality of the shows down quite a bit.