Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

This is really excellent. "Basis of Proof" in particular is exactly the kind of story I'd like to see on Discovery.

Go figure, the comments are a mess in the most predictable ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Soylent, cricket flour, and plankton loaf: foods of the future.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Forget Arrested Development and edit the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme into this scene instead. No quotes required.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Thankfully, there will be all kinds of concertos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cXWrdHshE

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

James McAvoy as Picard, Tom Hiddleston as Data.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

greatn posted:

Beverly fucks all her patients, and Rikers body fucks all crew members, so it was unavoidable.

Sci-fi doctors seem to have a bad habit of getting involved with their patients. I can't remember if that happened with McCoy, but Crusher certainly walked that line a ton, Bashir went full teenager for the mute girl, even the EMH fell into that trap somehow. On Babylon 5 Franklin unfreezes a lady from a century earlier, who just lost her husband, and is leaning in for a kiss like one act later. C'mon dude.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Also holy poo poo Archer does get captured a lot. It honestly seems like every 2nd or 3rd episode is just him getting captured in some form.

Captured or beaten up or both, yeah. Archer's theme song should've been "Tubthumping."

I kinda like that though. 22nd century Starfleet probably had no reason to think, "hey, maybe we should put our captains though combat training" until guys like Archer kept getting clowned on. By the 23rd century they've finally upgraded to judo chops and double axehandles.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

I've been away from the thread for awhile, but I just wanted to say that I hope that The Greatest Generation podcast is a mainstay of talk/recommendations in this thread now... it's the best.

I occasionally think about changing my username to Drunk Shimoda.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The Prophets taking Jake instead would've worked for me, tying back into the penance they had planned earlier which was aborted when Kai Winn hosed up their Reckoning. Then Sisko could've stayed with his wife and newborn, but he'd still "know nothing but sorrow" because he lost Jake.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Dukat's conversation with Weyoun about making your enemies realize they were wrong to oppose you in the first place probably also applies to his personal life.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Mokotow posted:

CBS seems to be backing the gently caress off from maintaining their own streaming service; they just announced a partnership with YouTube and their new TV-streaming thingy, having sold Star Trek right to Netflix. What a clusterfuck this'll all be 5 years down the line.

Now toss international rights on top of that clusterfuck. :canada:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

MorgaineDax posted:

I love Bashir and Siddig, but he had some really bad line reads in the first season.

Peak Season 1 Bashir was that time he got possessed by the serial killer dude and proceeded to devour every piece of scenery on the show.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Drone posted:

Unpopular opinion: I sorta enjoyed Star Trek: Legacy on my Xbox 360. Buggy as gently caress interface though, and awful multiplayer.

The parts of Legacy that worked were pretty decent, but it really needed another six months minimum to polish out the rough edges and maybe kill some of the bad ideas, like that awful Stargazer mission.

Not quite Star Trek, but if anyone's looking for a Captain Sisko simulator, try Halcyon 6. It combines XCOM-like starbase and crew management, turn-based RPG combat in space and on the ground, and some vaguely Star Control exploration and questing. I like it a lot and it would probably be eating up all my free time if it weren't for Civilization VI and Overwatch seasonal events.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Have you ever seen the back of a bar of gold-pressed latinum... on synthijuana?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Gambit in general is pretty bad. I dunno what there was about it that needed to be a two-parter either. It's probably the worst of those in TNG, or tied with Descent.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The Space Nazi episodes are worth watching because they're probably the goofiest poo poo in the series, like a step away from the Calvin & Hobbes "t-rexes in F-14s" comic at one point. Also there were gangsters, and gangsters in Star Trek are always hilariously bad.

It's the most ridiculous ending possible to the Temporal Cold War story, which is more than the arc deserved and probably the most that could be salvaged from the Season 3 cliffhanger/"gently caress you" from the outgoing showrunners. That said, you could edit the ending of Storm Front Part 2 over the ending of Zero Hour and it would line up just fine, all you'd be missing is the fate of Daniels and the Suliban and I don't think there's a shrug emoticon big enough for that.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

No casting announcements for those on the path to Kal'Hyah.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I like how they keep referring to ships and shuttles as various old cars, especially the rounder shuttle from the first couple seasons, aka "the Toyota Previa of shuttles."

I still enjoy Mission Log but I agree that they're in a bit of a lull. Maybe it's just the relative weakness of the episodes they're covering right now. TNG Season 5 drags a ton in the middle, at least for me. Still over a year until they hit DS9, too. :psyduck:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Question about The Greatest Generation to those who have listened longer: do the hosts actually dislike Mission Log, or is it a joke?

Maybe it was a little of both at first, but it's probably just a joke now or they wouldn't have turned it into that west coast/east coast hip-hop gag.

The Post-Atomic Horror has also poked fun at Mission Log on occasion, so maybe it's just a fairly common thing for the comedic podcasts to take shots at the more analytical ones, like how just about everyone busts out an NPR voice once and a while.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I also skimmed through the episode titles and summaries on Netflix and now I REALLY want the Greatest Gen guys to do Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise.

They mentioned DS9 recently, I think they said they're either going to cover it after they're finished with TNG or follow the airdate order and jump back and forth between TNG and DS9 until TNG ends and DS9 takes over.

Regarding Hard Time, maybe it also works as a companion piece to Babylon 5's Passing Through Gethsemane. Two very different takes on the future of criminal sentencing, both kind of horrifying in their own ways. And to keep it light I've been trying to force together a Chief O'Brien version of the Dusty Rhodes Hard Times promo but it's not quite happening (daddeh.)

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

That's exactly the kind of thing I'd build in a Star Trek version of Kerbal Space Program. Ten seconds after launch the warp core would explode from the strain and send every nacelle flying off in a different direction.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Complete this duty roster update and take it to Lt. Worf.

[TIP]: Try not to make him angry.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Michelle Yeoh seems to be the first name attached to Discovery, but this still needs an official confirmation, at least regarding her exact role.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/788489-michelle-yeoh-star-trek-discovery

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Come explore this... new frontier.

The safe word is 173467321476Charlie32789777643Tango732Victor73117888732476789764376.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

Things turned out alright for her, from what I understand:

Well, at least for a while.

She had that sweet Quiznos sponsorship going on, which is nice.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

At this rate Discovery will just be Michelle Yeoh and a cast of muppets.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This is godawful. Sounds like the Baywatch Nights or Melrose Place theme. That backing track is just poo

It's definitely lacking in the requisite meedlies, squigglies, and jugga-wuggas.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

The latter plays a mycologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qoWoKpkzM confirmed.

Looking forward to seeing how they handle the Spathi.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

For now, let's just remember the happier times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cCTgRax94o

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

If that episode had been a season finale instead, maybe it could've almost-kinda-barely worked as sort of a poor man's "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" but even that is a huge stretch. At best, it's a worthless, unnecessary, throwaway epilogue to Demons/Terra Prime, the real finale.

I probably farted out my dumb headcanon in the last thread but let's just say that 22nd century records in general and the NX-01's logs in particular are a mess of lost/destroyed/redacted/rewritten information and that Riker's holodeck LARP was mostly full of misleading or outright false history that still hasn't been corrected or declassified two centuries later.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Spoeank posted:

Ro Laren as captain can only end in disaster

I'm With Her.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Starfleet should've just called in Data to phaser another aqueduct or two. Seemed to work pretty well the first time, and the Cardassians were just as capable of frying all their asses from orbit as the Sheliak.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I like the implication that Kirk is just one burnt tomato plant away from becoming Eddington.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I think I screwed up somewhere

Man those cities from The 37's really were something.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

If they never found the wormhole, Sisko wouldn't have had his come to Jesus moment that helped him get over the death of his wife, so he and Jake would've gone back to Earth as he intended to do originally and Starfleet would've given the post to someone else. Maybe someone we saw later who was working elsewhere in the sector on similar issues, like Cal Hudson or Admiral Nechayev. DS9 would then become a possible Maquis-friendly port via Hudson or the Non-Stop Nechayev & Kira Power Hour where they take turns tossing Quark out of airlocks.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Fully functional and programmed in multiple crossfit techniques.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I like how in Star Trek it's impossible to have a private conversation unless you're completely alone in a room.

And even then, the computer is listening. :tinfoil:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I forget the Magnificent Feregni is so good. I like how at the end they can't turn off the remote control Vorta so he keeps walking into a wall like a glitchy game character.

Bethesda must've based their NPC pathfinding for Skyrim on The Magnificent Ferengi's Weekend at Bernie's technology.

They just left him there, right? I wonder if like ten years later when the Cardassians finally get around to reclaiming the station if they'll find a skeletal Vorta still bumping up against that same wall.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

That's the kind of weird inexplicable poo poo I'd expect to see at a yard sale, or on a bad Etsy page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Phlox could still be alive too. :getin: