Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but for UK goons, Netflix now has TNG, DS9 and Voyager. TNG is the HD remaster.

I watched a few first season episodes and I've never heard anyone talk about Patrick Stewart's comedy chops in The Naked Now. Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Timby posted:

Probert I'll give you, but Drexler's work on Star Trek was primarily on the graphics side. The only ship he ever actually designed was the NX class (and the NX refit he proposed was loving hideous).

Any images?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Bucswabe posted:

That's a fair point. I think it just struck me because it's the only time I can think of where they used a Captain's Log in the middle of an urgent crisis situation.

Encounter at Farpoint

Edit never mind

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 10, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

A long time ago in a faraway trek thread, somebody wrote an ending to Voyager where Starfleet is all "Oh Good, you're back. Sorry about the mess, the Federation just got through a devastating war. Yeah, earth was attacked and everything."

That is my Voyager ending

Has anyone read Homecoming and The Farther Shore? They're the Voyager sequel novels. In the first one it tells how there was like a collective shrug from everyone in the Federation when Voyager got back because it was like 100 people who disappeared one time and everyone is like, 40 billion people are dead.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Zurui posted:

They made a Voyager continuation? What is it even about?

Don't pretend you don't want to see how Seven and Chakotay work out.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching the first episode of season 2, The Child, and it's already got clearly better cinematography, lighting and sets. So that's cool.

Where Silence Has Lease is one of the best episodes of TNG's entire run.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Zesty posted:

From the script:

Worf and TWO SECURITY MEN bracket the very feminine and graciously endowed Transporter Commander B.G. Robinson. Everything she has two of are perfectly matched, coordinated, and move with a wonderful grace that is called "woman."

Please tell me you made that up :roflolmao:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Zesty posted:

The ship cleans itself.

Yeah what did Riker mean when he said the ship will clean itself?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I watched Vanishing Point last night on the basis that it at least sounded interesting, if a bit derivative of older Trek episodes.

Jesus Christ, Enterprise could not get more bland if it tried. Everything is so flat and lifeless, from the visuals to the (Berman-mandated) shite score, the performances of the actors, the execution of the story itself...

Everyone involved just seems bored.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I couldn't bear Enterprise season 1, and watched episodes of season 2 as goons recommended season 3 so I had to get some setup.

What's the pilot called? Cause all I remember about him from season 3 is that he concentrated really hard on pushing the buttons and didn't do much else.

He makes Harry Kim look well-written.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Watching Night Terrors, I love the episode even though it's just everyone talking slowly, the score really gives it a great atmosphere.

Also, Remember Me was ace.

I miss being 7 and watching those episodes for the first time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

only the lower stream tho

edit: this has been your weekly reminder that it is now canon that klingons have two dicks

Huh?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Smythe posted:

they have 2 dicks.

Citation needed!

What about female Klingons, two doots?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

The only part of ID I really remember was when the evil black ship blasts the gently caress out of the Enterprise so hard it knocks it out of warp. That was pretty cool as Trek battles go.

The movie grated on me because some things make no sense. Common for Abrams' movies.

I could rant about ST09, but sticking with ID, one thing that annoyed me was the proximity of Earth to Qo'noS. The Enterprises gets between them in about 5 minutes. Never mind the loving super blood that that writer is so fond of. Or the transwarp transporter nonsense. Or Scotty meeting up with Kirk at a random vista to tell him about said transporter.

I have to disagree with the negative comments about the main cast though, I think they're great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Some people have really bad network latency.

Just reverse the polarity on the ODN relays and route it through the main deflector dish.

It'll take 8 weeks but I know you don't have 8 weeks so I'll do it for you in 2.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Happy First Contact Eve everyone. Anyone got any plans?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, I was gonna make that T’Plana Hath cake with fondant Zephram like I do every year.

Cellular peptide cake for me, in the shape of Beverly Crusher. And don't spare the whip.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pastamania posted:

Also, they do it because they think your you're stupid.

FTFY.

I hate fight choreography that has one person against many foes, most of whom stand there doing nothing but waiting for their cue to attack, and it's so obvious.

Like Batman should be dead a thousand times. Rey, too, in The Last Jedi. Or in the Picard trailer, the fight on the steps looks awful.

https://youtu.be/Ja8cHYtF8n4

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

marktheando posted:

The separation scene just goes on forever and ever, feels almost TMP like.

More season one thoughts, I know Worf never really stops being kind of an idiot, but he's practically a comic relief character at this point. Growling at Q and he was about to shoot the view screen in Farpoint.

https://youtu.be/edflm7Hh3hs

Engage

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I said come in! posted:

How many shuttle craft does Voyager lose in total? So far by episode 5 of season 4 it is up to 3 shuttles. How does Voyager replace these things?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Watching TNG Time Squared. God I loved these kinds of episodes. Same for Where Silence Has Lease.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Seemlar posted:

They're all physical sets, they don't use greenscreen CG rooms.

There's a thing here about how some of the set changes for season 2 were because of filming issues - https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/27/star-trek-discovery-analysis-a-closer-look-at-new-and-redesigned-uss-discovery-sets-for-season-2/

Am I reading that right, the only way to walk onto the bridge was via the ready room in season 1?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Wasn't there some dumb comic or something where there was a risk of them assimilating a Q?

I believe it was in one of the post-Voyager or TNG books. The Borg have a Q on the ship and they're apparently analysing the invisible magic warp Q particles. I don't think they did anything with the information in that book itself but maybe in sequel novels.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It tries really hard to be All Good Things without realizing that the wink-and-nod future stuff needs to be balanced with the present. They spend more time showing you this supposedly awful future for the characters that the actual present becomes an afterthought in their own finale. And then when you finally do focus on the “real” crew they’re just handed a solution to their problems in the most anticlimactic way. It’s written as if the writers were told a week prior that the show was ending and rushed to come up with an easy fix to get them home. It’s so lazy.

The also seemed to forget that it was their last season, so plot threads were left hanging like old men's balls, swinging in the wind.

They spent one of their last few episodes, Natural Law, with the kind of filler you'd expect in season 1. One of the older Trek threads summaried Voyager as 7 years of wasted potential that "ended with a slap in the face." Sadly still true 18 years after it ended.

gently caress me, I feel so old. With the balls to prove it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ThinkGeek Star Trek Enterprise Pizza Cutter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FQDWP0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HQvsDb05DC3HH

If you're not cutting pizza with this you're losing at life.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm extremely comfortable with losing at life, if using that ridiculous gimmick tool is the criteria for success.

I was only playing :eng99:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Tell that to the Xindi

And Species 8472 :agesilaus:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

There is no printer too big for Geordi to carry.

LOL I just got this!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I didn’t know that the original intent of the S1 episode ‘The Neutral Zone’ was for the Federation and the Romulans to join together to fight the Borg (who we find out down the road were responsible for taking out outposts on both sides of the Neutral Zone).

I don't get this. Did the Borg wipe out the Neutral Zone colonies, then clear off to the Delta Quadrant, then come back after they saw that the Enterprise had holodecks or something?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

-Enterprise had one cool season, which is more than Voyager ever achieved.
-It's really eerie how Trip looks like a young George W. Bush. It may just be me, but between the two main stars being white male Americans, and the two token minority characters barely getting anything interesting to do, the show really seems to have been pandering to the early 2000s Republican middle America, even before 9/11 and the Xindi arc.

Voyager season 4 would like a word.

In Enterprise, was Mayweather the pilot? I think in season 3 he had 3 lines. All he did was look intensely at consoles. They really just gave up on characterisation in that show.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Tighclops posted:

I genuinely hate those stupid Irish holodeck village episodes, I still can't believe they made two of them

It's analogous to Code of Honour to a certain degree. But yes I can't believe these actually escaped whatever poo poo filter exists within most humans.

I'm re-watching Enterprise Season 3. Some awful filler but it's reasonably decent overall, except that poor Travis gets to do and say gently caress all².

I only watched about 8 episodes total from Seasons 1 and 2 - most of them were loving shite. What's Season 4 like, apart from the finalé?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Season 4 is mostly multi-part episode arcs and a lot of stuff that connects to TOS. It's somewhat divisive but most people seem to think it's the best season, which I agree with.

I want to skip the WW2 arc, doesn't seem interesting. The next few OK?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Can we talk about how loving amazing some of the scores were in TNG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFdpXa4XpM

That's from Where Silence Has Lease, one of my favourite TNG episodes because of the soundtrack and its incredible atmosphere. I watched this episode as a 7 year old kid back in the day, and it felt so unnerving. There will never again be this kind of Star Trek episode, where weird poo poo just happens - like Time Squared, another Season 2 quality show.

Also, there's this loving masterpiece from The Best of Both Worlds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZ7E2WC3RI

Never again, sadly. I've read that Rick Berman actually directed the score composers to make the music as bland as hell in the Voyager days because he found some of it distracting. What a dipshit, if true.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

davidspackage posted:

That one has been slightly ruined for me. I immediately see a horse playing the sax in my head.

Canonical.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

skasion posted:

Whoa, I didn’t realize this was actually out there.

https://youtu.be/jzpeulsbv8o

Sounds like what ought to play when Picard rises up from within the Enterprise in his mecha.

Haha holy poo poo that's pure Galaxy Quest there.

Regarding the next movie, I hope to God JJ isn't directing. Most of his movies have no logic to them and it's just poo poo happening just because. The best thing about them is the Pitch Meetings.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Picard costs $8-$9mil PER EPISODE.

I don't disbelieve you, anywhere you heard about the cost though? Surely season 2 must have been a shitload cheaper, since most of it was just money saving present day stuff?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Penitent posted:

Is Boothby going to somehow return?

Somehow, Boothby returned

Cloning, secrets only the Sith knew.

Attack of the Clones.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I watched Voyager Endgame yesterday for the first time in years, and jeez Louise it ends even more abruptly than I remember. I think there are literally 90 seconds of screentime with them back at Earth before the end credits roll.

One thing always confused me - how did they end up inside the Borg sphere? The editing is just really confusing and makes no sense.

Another thing I've thought of recently is the CGI in Enterprise - I'm not sure if it's art direction or lighting or whatever but it seems often worse than DS9 and Voyager, which hold up reasonably well for 90s TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

Considering how in PIC S1 the Soong colony was hidden away in a badly explored sector right next to a major fleet base considering how quickly they got there, there could be a position for Nova-class small exploration ship that just scans and checks the nearby uncharted systems and fills the gaps in the star charts.

I think the more likely occurrence is that those ships in the Picard season 1 finale traveled at the speed of plot, rather than anything more carefully considered.

Other great examples: in Star Trek 09, the Enterprise arrives at the Narada about 15 seconds after the rest of the fleet, which is already in ruin.

And Into Darkness, why, Kronos is a mere 2 minute jaunt away!