Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nessus posted:

The thing I wonder about is the more alien aliens, which presumably exist but are - for budget reasons - rarely seen. Like some of those dudes have to be in the Federation, even if they're veiled by the production budget.

That was a good thing in Beyond, there were a lot of background aliens in the Enterprise crew.

Babylon 5 is good go watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The first season is rough (but very much rewards a rewatch), nobody will deny that. Keep going.

Londo and G'Kar is probably my favorite TV character arc ever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Q_res posted:

I'm currently watching Legend of the Rangers

:chloe:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dr. Can't Act was still in soap opera acting mode in the beginning. Also he was more or less 100% deaf and thus memorized not only his own lines, but everyone's, and lip-read his way through scenes. He's actually doing a hell of a job.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I had no clue at all about the Betazoid eye thing until someone in the thread mentioned it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Please don't doxx me

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's no suggestion humanity's problems disappear overnight. Troi tells Cochrane that war/poverty/etc are gone within a century, but that's plenty of time for Q's courts and whatnot.

I believe the NX-01 launch is just a couple years after the last holdouts join the United Earth government, and that's like... 2140s? Or I might be thinking of the Earth Alliance in B5. :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I always figured they had giant solar stations with antimatter generators to provide all the fuel. Antimatter's a pain and expensive to make but if you're just drawing the power from a star who cares.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I figure antimatter is just for starships since you need a lot of energy density there, planets/stations use solar and fusion.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Computer, create a cat able to defeat Data

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gonz posted:

The Amazon exclusive also features a Lil' Ship, but it's not quite as Lil' as the Wal-Mart ones:

Those are some real derpy nacelles.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Balance of Beams
The Room with an Unlocked Door
David in the Dark

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Delsaber posted:

That's exactly the kind of thing I'd build in a Star Trek version of Kerbal Space Program. Ten seconds after launch the warp core would explode from the strain and send every nacelle flying off in a different direction.

I was going to say that looks like my Kerbal spacecraft design philosophy and I don't see the problem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Redshirt the Roguelike would be tons of fun.

Oh man I want this to be a thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I forget if I ever posted the USS Derp from Chinese Toys-R-Us but I ran across the pic again so enjoy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Wait why are there vegetarians when food is replicated? I get it when you're killing things but it's just reconstituted atoms.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tunicate posted:

The replicator creates a full living cow, then recycles everything but a steak.

That's the particularly erotic chapter in my journal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Having known people with mental illness of various forms and severity I can't think of a single one who wouldn't immediately jump on a cure if such a thing existed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Duckbag posted:

Miri's got a bit of a bad rap, but I think that's mostly because the "planet identical to Earth" part is ridiculous

One of my favorite things ever was finding out that actually physics predicts this, the problem was just that it's too close to Earth. If the universe is indeed infinite then there must be an infinite number of exact copies of Earth, because there's only a finite number of ways that matter and energy can be arranged and therefore everything will repeat itself infinitely.

However, all that would be so far outside the observable universe it would (presumably) never be possible to detect it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Duckbag posted:

Well no, we could find Earth 2 only a few stars away, the odds are just astronomically against such a thing happening (also the star would presumably have to be just like ours and we would have noticed that). That's really the point of the whole "infinite universe" thing -- even the things that seem stupendously unlikely will still happen somewhere as long as they're not actually impossible. Of course, we don't know how infinite the universe really is. It may be infinitely large, but not have infinite matter. The whole thing's a little unclear.

Yeah true, I phrased badly. It could happen but the realistic odds are if the infinities are true the Earth copies aren't going to be anywhere we'll ever run across them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I liked the bumbling around loving up in early Enterprise. Archer got command because his daddy built the spaceship and Starfleet had no idea what they're doing and wouldn't listen to the Vulcans because SHUT UP DAD, I CAN DO IT MYSELF

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

Having watched Our Man Bashir, the climax being "Yes Bashir will destroy the fake Earth to save real people" felt like a writing misfire over the much more interesting "Bashir will stone cold murder Garak to complete a mission."

I love that Bashir being willing to murder Garak to achieve his goals is the most proud we ever see Garak being about anyone.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I rewatched it recently and really the CG is only super rough in the first season. By three I think it still looks good. It's not BSG but it's not bad.

It has a really distinct look too, lots of color.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This is the best still image in all of TNG

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Why do the Bajorans even have the Book of the Kosst Amojen anyway.

A blank book full of evil that you can only read if you're the Kai with the fresh blood of an innocent monk you just slaughtered? Why... would you have that. Even if there's important tips in there to defeat evil, only one person on Bajor can read it and in order to do it they have to be evil already!

Sounds pretty metal to me I'd keep it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I also don't think Data would make a good captain. Executive officer seems like the best role in the command department.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What a moran

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Voyager has a really nice theme song and opening credits.

Shame about everything that happens after that's over.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TheBigAristotle posted:

Has anyone played Star Trek: A Final Unity? I just installed it today but only had time to play for a few minutes. With full audio and different dialog choices and poo poo, it seems promising.

I remember it being really good and by far the most Star Trek of any Star Trek game, but I was also ten the last time I played it.

How did you get it working? I've always wanted to replay it but modern computers just say "gently caress this noise" and no emulators or workarounds I've ever tried do anything. Best I managed was to get it to start but without audio and everything running too fast.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

Wouldn't DosBox be enough?

It didn't work in DosBox. Maybe with a more recent version, I haven't tried in a while.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Judging MST3K by anything outside of the movie is weird.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You're going to need to bust into his room constantly screaming KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN until he learns the error of his ways.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm with thinking Bashir's dad is what a lot of people would be in a post-scarcity society. You don't need a career to survive so why not just pursue whatever interests you at the time and change to a new thing once you're tired of it? That's what I'd be doing, sounds like the best kind of freedom.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Did they add scenes to the remastered version of All Good Things? I'm watching it and I don't remember some of these. Like there was just one with old Q talking to Picard on the Pasteur.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

remusclaw posted:

Do we ever meet any male Betazed?

Yeah. There's a few on TNG and one on Voyager.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Her ability would be incredibly useful in a harder setting. With truly alien aliens instead of a galaxy of mostly foreheads-of-the-week, someone who can shortcut through the social/cultural/biological differences in emotions and their expressions to understand how a member of another species is processing a dialogue under the surface would be pure gold in dozens of scenarios.

That would be cool and give her something actually useful to do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

I kind of feel the writers were a, worried about telepathy short-circuiting plots

I'm sure and it's a totally valid worry, which is why they shouldn't have done it in the first place.

In a rare instance of this, Voyager had the best Betazoid.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

My favorite episode of hers is the one where she gets altered to look like a Romulan.

Also the sort of situation where her abilities would be really useful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't understand why they think audiences couldn't keep up with a post-TNG era Trek but somehow are able to handle endlessly rehashing a show that wasn't that great and went off the air in 1969.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

You should have seen the arguments back when Voyager premiered over how unrealistic a black Vulcan was...

Hmm yes a species from a planet with biomes ranging from "desert" to "extremely desert" definitely should not have dark skin that makes no sense. Everyone knows white people do great in harsh sunlight.