Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

FrozenVent posted:

Hopefully the cargo owners will offer the terminals some guarantees to get the ships unloaded.

On the other hand, those ships are getting arrested wherever they dock, so I can see how nobody would want to be stuck with them around. Definitely sucks for the crews though - best case scenario, they're out of work and owned back wages.

Can definitely suck for crews. I've only recently learnt of the yellow fleet.
Also wasn't there also a few ships stuck in ha long bay after the USA blocked it with minefields during the Vietnam war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

A few pages back, but if you're in Australia and got the "not available in your region" problem , missed this or couldn't be bothered searching for it, it's on ABC2 tonight here.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

MullardEL34 posted:

My problem with Cigarette taxes is that some municipalities go so absolutely crazy with them for ideological reasons that they actually encourage smuggling and organized crime. Someone did a study a few years ago and came to the conclusion that something like 60% of the Cigarettes sold in NYC carried fake tax stamps and were smuggled from out of state. For every smuggled pack sold, NYC lost it's entire potential tax earning. Sin taxes are okay, but there has to be a point when you have to stop and think, "we don't live in a walled city, things can come in from outside. Does taxing this legal product at a rate drastically above neighboring cities/states actually encourage black market activity or cause us to lose revenue on this product due to smuggling and enforcement? Does it fund criminal enterprise?"

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/smuggled-untaxed-cigarettes-are-everywhere-in-new-york-city-6717621

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/10/news/companies/cigarette-tax-new-york/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Smokescreen

Sin taxes often end up a ridiculous money grab by the state. Take Australia for example, a pack of cigs costs $30. Not worth it. So people often go for chop chop or think they may as well smoke weed, which is illegal. So how many people might have their life ruined in the short term by being caught with weed or dealing with illegal tobacco suppliers when they otherwise wouldn't have if cigs cost $15.
On top of that the government gets addicted to the money. They raise so much they get to spend on non-health related government costs they are going to be hosed in their finances when all the smokers die or switch to illegal sources, they are being too greedy.
Booze is also extremely highly taxed here, you can't get a bottle of whisky under $30, or a carton of beer for under $40 (except cheap euro imports that are almost undrinkable, anything decent and/or even cheap lovely domestic is over $40). But here's the thing, home distillation is legal here (up to 5L of wash I think) and of course home brew is legal too. You can walk into a home brew store and buy a small still under 5L, or buy a legal reflux system to bolt onto your own 30L pot and ignore the 5l rule for spirits and of course brew your own beer.
But the government keeps raising these sin taxes for easy money and ignores the fact that some people will want to smoke and drink and if you push them too far they'll leave the tax system entirely and perhaps do more harm to themselves or society than they would have done if taxes were kept a moderate %.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Dudes I'm gonna legit miss the Obamas.

Sucks that we in Australia had to put up with John Howard for 4 elections/11 years, but you guys have to boot out a good president after 2 terms.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

HBO put up tonight's Last Week Tonight episode on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSDUsMwakI

the last 5 minutes are very cathartic

For people not in the USA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njl2EC6PXds

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Genocide Tendency posted:

Speaking of New Zealand..

Do they have wallabies there?

I want to move somewhere. But if I have to live in upside down world, I want to know I can have a cool pet to make up for having to relearn gravity.

Its pretty much there or British Columbia.

poo poo no. Do you think the aussie rugby team would be called the wallabies if NZ had them too?
Heaps of them in WA though. Bush wallabies, rock wallabies, banded wallabies plus tammars, quokkas, quolls, numbats and bilbys.
Best get them all before the snakes do though.

ded posted:

I dunno I think Aussie cattle (or whatever they are called google is giving me all sort of poo poo) dogs are cooler.

Blue heeler
I had a heeler mongrel as a family pet when I was a kid. Less like that one though, more of a kelpie x heeler. So it was smaller and had more black and brown patches.
E: heelers are larger cattle dogs and come in blue (white/black) or red types. Name is due to the fact they bite stubborn cattle on the heels (they have been bred to have pretty blunt teeth but a huge mounth/jaw)
Kelpies are smaller sheep dogs, narrower jaw.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 12, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Honestly all the other options would be more common. Gated up, locked up, dogs everywhere. Being a meter reader would suck and not because of spiders.

E:
NZ is killing or deporting back to Australia their wallabies :sadwave:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brush-tailed_rock-wallaby

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 12, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
People are scarier. There's less of them here...

E: I like NZ too, for a lot of reasons, a hell of a lot of reasons.
But if you think Australia is expensive have I got news for you.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 12, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Russia Today
Surprised you haven't heard of them. They're an english language Russian propaganda news corp.

I think one of the Australian TV channels even has them on :lol:
E: yep, ch44, the local community TV channel.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 25, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Can any gippers suggest to me why the don is pro israel?
Is it just to be contrary to the outgoing dems? Or is he just sucking up for some personal business reasons?

Doesn't make sense otherwise as pre election he wanted US partners to be more accountable. While we all know Israel is the opposite to that.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 29, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Just do the preferential system like Australia where you can vote for whoever to make clear your distaste of the two major parties, but in the end your vote isn't wasted.
That's the only way a 3rd party has even a chance for a seat in government as a rep or senator, and the two major parties get to notice they aren't getting first preferences from where they expected (E: and hopefully learn why and can address those issues).

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Zeris posted:

This was an electoral college pun and I am sorry to you all for not making it clearer
Don't feel bad, I got it and I'm not american.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Welcome to 2017 and el grande cahuana my poor unfortunate friends

• Locked thread