Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NutritiousSnack posted:

This is where we differ because I think if this fails to hit above 160-170 million but hits around 150 million, we are done with this iteration of Ghostbusters. Either Feig quietly gets the boot and another director signs on and GB 2 is made into a very different film or they reboot it again or try to do Ghostbusters 3. I agree if it hits around that magic number, Sony is going to be desprate enough to try again, but no one is going to be dumb enough to finance the same bomb all over again.

I have seen alot of poo poo on twitter showing to massively empty theaters. no one is interested because either all the controversy or because it looks like/is a lovely cash in. the humor is mostly sandler tier. at best it will break even. especially since their is no Chinese audience to cushion the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

That goon-run offsite archives search mysteriously went down for good a week after kiwifarms started using it to dig a lot of neil's problematic posts up after he suddenly thought that he could organize a mob against jontron for some gay reason

who the gently caress is neil? and why hate jontron enough to organize a mob against him?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

The huge egomaniacal tool who made bustin, and he went after jontron because he said the dreaded retard-word despite his posting history as trapezoid consisting of very healthy retard-usage

lol thats retarded. wtf

eSports Chaebol posted:

he also made the Potter Puppet Pals and hyakugojyuuichi that crazy flash video from the newgrounds days and also got permabanned for being a weirdo but yeah he's pretty much the longest-lived memelord in human history

seriously. so basicaly he found the religion of Idenity politics and let it into his heart and became a massive oval office. thats sad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's kinda funny, but that really is Sony's best bet. They can try to get in on the animation market, sidestep the feminist backlash of Tatum' Busters movie, and clean their hands of Feig or addressing this movie again or the "cultural wars" or whatever dumb thing SRS/Pol are steering up online and get to start all over again.

this. they will just forget this film ever existed and probaly try a sequel or another reboot, then go fulltilt with the animated shows/movie. what sucks is the tatum movie will probaly be even worse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Hilarously this was the worst case scenario for everyone. Sony is going to take the lesson "women aren't funny from this" but that GB is a valuable brand despite it. Instead expect animated retools or a "smarter" GB 3 soft reboot or some other dumb poo poo with Sandler type comedy and one of the two is going to break over 200 million and make us all suffer.

thats what sucks the actress are funny in other stuff(well jones act is "walking minstral show" and McCarthy is hit or miss) the problem is 3 fold. 1. get a different director. feige isnt good at this type of comedy or action plus him constantly dumping on the audience because he wants to #1 "progressive" is retarded. 2. get better PR and advertisements" and 3. get better writers. also if you make a male ghost busters reboot. dont do a loving stoner flick. hire actors who can act in both comedy and action. i would probably have chris pratt and Oscar Isaac because they can be good in anything and will bring an audience.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

It depends on the movie. all the stars wars figures were picked clean for weeks before the movie. plus you can get better Ghostbusters figures online.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

nobody would be crazy enough to believe that their movie could match the hype of star wars..right?

maybe. who knows. the problem is the toys are boring, the original ghostbuster figures(cartoons too) made a poo poo ton of different weird ones and tons of ghosts. the new ones only have like 3 loving ghots. the rest are boring main cast figures. as someone said in the twitter comments "kids don't want to buy frumpy looking middle aged women figures wearing road construction outfits"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ok seriously. they have the worst PR ever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

CineD goons have written similar things unironically

It's likely to flop or break even not just not bomb. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it dropped to fourth after Lights Out and ST Beyond if it dropped to fourth

pretty much. it picked a bad month to come out. plus word of mouth/various reviews/the retarded PR campaigns didn't help

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Grimace posted:

They've been acting like it's a huge surprise, too. Feig and McCarthy would say things like, (paraphrasing) "people critical of Ghostbusters probably have no friends and are basement dwellers." Talking down to potential audience is not the way to get them in seats.

this. ivory tower making GBS threads on people(mra shitheads or not) is a loving terrible way to get support, especialy when its a meh remake. talking down/shaming people over realy dumb poo poo is retarded. parts of the left should have learned this by now, especially since the moral majority loving made it an art form. if the new left were smart, they wouldnt try to loving emulate them.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 17, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's what bugs me as a feminist and lefty is them making this the hill to die on. most of the people who think the movie is mediocre or bad aren't mras, they're people with taste. they're playing pretty much right into the mras hands when they start pretending that the original movie wasn't that funny or that this movie is way funnier they just look pathetic cuz everyone knows that can't be true.

To be fair. alot of these dips probaly didnt like the first movie, not to mention the second. if the movie had been my type of humor, i would go see it. its not and because the awful PR and bullshit zealotry. i wont see it. If its not kids cartoons like steven universe or something that only says the themes and messages they like and approve of. its evil. same thing goes with the alt-right and the christian right. I am not a giant fan of dude like sargon and others but i can see where they sorta come from. they are pissed that questioning things and interprating stuff has been thrown out the window by the parts of the left. the problem is they think the other side of the poo poo coin is somehow different. its worse probaly.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 17, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Secret Life of Pets involves the torture of a prisoner, one of the heroes (a hawk) having to visibly resist eating the rest of the cast the entire time he's on screen, a domestic terrorist cell of abandoned pets dedicated to murdering humans, the leader of which hijacks a bus and purposefully rams occupied vehicles on a bridge with it while the protagonist works the gas pedal, the repeated brutal beating of several humans and a one-sided obsessive relationship being treated as romantic. All, of course, played for laughs. Like, dark stuff in kids movies is great, don't get me wrong, but they didn't do any of it well. It just felt kinda schizophrenic. I guess I'll check out some reviews and see if I'm just crazy. At least the animation was colorful and fun and nice to look at.

Ghostbusters was just too safe. There wasn't even a scene of anyone getting ghost cunnilingus for christ's sake.

yeah. i saw that in the trailer. I wondered why the bunny sounded like some 1960s/70s black power/liberation/days of rage leader. do the police shoot him in the head at the end or something?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

No. Kevin Hart's bunny gets captured by a little girl while fleeing the aftermath of probably injuring and killing dozens of humans on a bridge and instantly becomes a traitor to the cause because all pets secretly want to be owned.

Lol. thats kinda hosed up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sony's president of marketing and distribution Josh Greenstein has gone on record saying that they're "ecstatic" with Feig's Ghostbusters and they're planning on making a whole bunch of sequels

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ghostbusters-box-office-1201816000/

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/18/movies/ghostbusters-is-no-2-behind-secret-life-of-pets-but-sonys-giddy.html?_r=0

lol. greenstein sounds like such a lying whore its not even funny.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I hope it fails, hard, if only because Harley Quinn casually carrying a baseball bat over her shoulders fills me with rage every time I see it now. Based on the previews it looks like she does that A LOT in the movie, and the concept art for the movie has her in the same pose. It's like they built her character around her carrying a baseball bat over her shoulders.

I want to like it, but the joker looks so dumb its not even funny.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

that, plus while casting Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn was a good move, it looks like she didn't even try to replicate the Harley Quinn voice, which is one of the things people remember most about the character

well. i dont think she can even do the voice. they hired her because she can play it "physically"

wonder how will smith will do in it? he looks good in the deadshot outfit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol. the "social progressives" wont go see the movie, just like they wont buy your games, trying to dovetail your ad campain and articles exclusively to them directly and making GBS threads on everyone else will only backfire. its the same with the right and trying to get voters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEKreyTkvA

they hated it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

not to mention the great filmmakers are mostly old and i can't think of any young up-and-coming directors that are vying to take their place. all we've got are directors who pigeonhole themselves into certain movies like Paul Feig and Michael Bay, or directors who are profoundly unspectacular as the guy who calls himself McG

also i completely forgot that The Thing was remade. was it PG-13 like the Total Recall reboot? gotta love watering down a movie's content so it can make the most money possible, meaning that an R rating is as enviable as an NC-17

the thing remake/prequel was actualy alright. and it was hard R.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

natetimm posted:

Milo Yiannopopopolous got in a Twitter fight with Leslie Jones from the new Ghostbusters and it's super gross, hella racist, and makes me feel really bad for her. Milo's bullshit wasn't the worst but the people who flocked to the drama made it way more depressing and extremely inappropriately racist. Way over the line, even for my usual tastes of internet tomfoolery. This summer feels like the US is going to explode if people can't find a way to start treating each other better and stop fighting like slavering dogs over petty bullshit.

milo is self hating gay guy who will probaly be found dead in a hotel somewhere in decade or so. I am not a fan of jones but she went through a bunch of underserved poo poo from dickheads. what sucks is the alt-right runined critisim of the movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY172rzvbWE stupid fucks like david aurini and milo are the problem.

Drunken Baker posted:

I can't believe people are still using the, "How about you see the movie before criticizing it!?" argument.

It's a Fieg movie about ghost fart and queef jokes featuring an almost entirely ad-libbed script. That'd be damning enough even without the trailers, clips and leaked script.

pretty much, a smarter script and a different director would have saved the movie easy.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Angry Birds succeeded overseas, while Ghostbusters has less momentum over there and less access to foreign markets too

wasnt that movie not even that bad. yeah it was a dumb kids movie and both the retard right and the retard left saw aniti muslim/anti immigration poo poo in it.

natetimm posted:

It sucks that some people don't really understand internet troll culture and this will end up being seen as something even worse than it is. There's a group of people bound and determined to constantly say the stupidest, most edgy and offensive poo poo possible wherever they can get away with it and it's just making things way worse. They happily troll any side of a social conflict for the reaction and it's such a small payoff for the immense tidal wave of bullshit they're going to end up causing overall. There's going to be more censorship, witch hunts, and extreme partisan crap because of them and they will emerge relatively unscathed for their trouble. Lowest loving common denominator loving it up for everyone.

agreed but with the current political climate being lovely as it is on both sides, I can believe a decent amount of the insults are genuine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

People have pointed out that there was a lot of ad-libbing in the original, but like you say, there's a strong scrip there with strong characterization for the actors to work with so they're not breaking character (or in the case of SPY) breaking the core world the film is set in.

there is add-libbing in almost every movie, some of it works(the "i know" line in empire and bunch of others) but it needs to be in servece of the characters/story. it needs to make sense, not break the forth wall. as they said in the RLM review. its basicaly an inverse force awakens. it did everything wrong that force awakens did right.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

Sorry pal, we can't have deeply flawed and interesting characters that feel like real human beings anymore.

pretty much. those have could have "problematic and pernicious underlying messages and themes"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Germstore posted:

yeah it is real :sad: how Milo tries to suppress his homosexuality

I never said he suppressed it. i said he hates himself. he has basically said he lives the way conservatives believe homos live. fast and loose and all that poo poo.its why he doesnt believe in gay marrage and stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cowman posted:

Milo also got permabanned from twitter thanks to this latest tirade of racism and sexism against Leslie Jones.

lol good, that dudes a oval office.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cowman posted:

Milo also got permabanned from twitter thanks to this latest tirade of racism and sexism against Leslie Jones.

lol good, that dudes a oval office.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

thats literally his whole job, and they banned him for doing it

hell, the thing he got banned over wasn't even savage (from what i've heard), all he said was "everybody gets hate mail"

of all the dumb poo poo for him to get banned over, that was it? Unless i'm mistaken

true. but i think he probaly said kinda racist poo poo to jones and sorta "encouraged" his followers as well. but again twitter is poo poo swill of hypocrisy and shiftiness/shittyness.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Germstore posted:

So is milo being held responsible for chan trolls, or did he actual make overtly racist tweets?

he encouraged it to an extent and said some pretty lovely things. but i wouldnt say fully responsible though.

XK posted:

I found an archive link for where the twitter abuse came from. Some of the poo poo was brutal. Looks like 8chan is who was actually behind it.

:nws: https://archive.is/PMB1k

It definitely only got as bad as it did due to how she responded in the absolute worst possible way.

yeah i can easily believe that. it sounds like she was sorta trying to rile up some more tweets/reddit posts for the movie "progressiveness" to look good and basically hosed up and kicked the hornets nest too hard. yeah, she is a lovely idiot if that was real DM(her talking about helping feig get more idiots to get pissed off) but i kinda feel bad for her. no one she be exposed to the full net that quick.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

max4me posted:

Maybe I am old fashioned but the last big movie that had "real" controversy, which served it well was the passion of the christ.

Everyone had to see it so they could tell their friends, family, and coworkers what their hot take was.

I kept finding it odd how a bunch of people who would never watch a scary movie or horry movie basically went and saw a snuff film.

pretty much. that was the last movie with any "real" controversy surrounding it.

most of it now are just run of the mill "think-piece" poo poo.

hmm. might be interesting/cool. id have to see who they pick first. if its loving jones, i am out. if they can hit the weird corny tone and get a good actress. i am in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

If it's a sequel it's fine. My main gripe would be if it was a full remake because the forties was the era where while we fought a war we had several race riots.

this. its a sequel. it takes place during the cold war or something. maybe she uses the jet pack to kill charlie in vietnam.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so it barely broke even, if that. my guess is feige is gone. they may try to do another sequel/reboot though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

So apparently the plans for a Ghostbusters sequel have now changed to "animated sequel".

Goddamn, that must loving hurt.

EDIT: link - it's worse than I remembered. The sequel is totally dead. The animated movie is a spinoff

"One of which is getting animated show Ghostbusters: Ecto Force, which was announced earlier, out in 2018 and planning an animated movie for 2019. Both are being steered by Ivan Reitman and his Ghostbusters-centered group Ghost Corps."

Ghost Corps? Sounds like some of the early plot ideas. Would laugh like a loon if it turns out a better movie than GB2016.

hahah. nice. eat poo poo sony. you picked all the worst possible choices when making a movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

loquacius posted:

No but seriously fire Zack Snyder

Paul Feig appears to be facing some fallout now and his career is hurt if not crippled, and that's great, but Snyder needs to follow suit and fast

Is he? i kinda hope so. he comes off as a stupid arrogant prick who doesnt know how to make a real comady movie that isnt 1.turn on camera, 2. let actors/actress do whatever. plus the dumb PR poo poo. gently caress him.

loquacius posted:

The best Snyder movie is Watchmen, and even that one feels like they should have picked someone else to direct it

Like, it's a decent movie because the source material was so good and Snyder wasn't quite able to gently caress it up, but not for lack of trying

this. he is best when is basicaly copy pasting someone else work. he is the opposite of bay who is ok when he does his own thing.(cept for pearl harbor)

Android Bicyclist posted:

Make the loving donuts, Kevin
An Open Letter To Warner Bros CEO Kevin Tsujihara About Layoffs, Zack Snyder, and Donuts

TL;DR guy points out how the guys at the top keep their jobs even when they gently caress up while the plebes at the studio get laid off.

he isnt wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

loquacius posted:

I found the article I was thinking of

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/16/pennywise-costume-stephen-king-it-movie

Some of the aesthetic decisions made sense -- this one actually made it sound kinda cool

but I still didn't like it and this quote sums up why

In other words he's just kind of a generic-type monster who chose clown-form for ICP Hot Topic reasons

yeah. i can see what they are trying to go for and like some of it. If it doesn't suck, then kudos to them.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, it seems like using the clown completely misses the point of the whole thing if you're setting it in a different time and place. Children and adults are probably just as easy to scare, but children are much easier to handle if they fight back or try to flee, I guess. You'd think adults would taste better. They've had a lifetime of fears and anxiety and have even likely experience some form of existential dread or crisis. Some of them even have deeply ingrained phobias and anxieties that you could exploit to get them to reach a fever pitch right before you feed. Kids would be like eating tatertot casserole; quick, it will technically feed you, really bland, depressing to anyone watching you eat it.
from what i remember of the book. children are easier to hunt and track,eat/kill and their fears are simpler and easy to morph into. adults have more complex fears. its like the T1000, it can only do simple poo poo not super complex poo poo.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Excuse you but it's the clown movie. Did you not see how badass and scary and grimdark the clown looks? Do we need to market it more? Pennywise merchandise months before the movie is even done? Maybe entire trailers based around the clown.

IT was the clown movie, we gotta remake it with the clown. I don't want to hear none of this shapeshift or from beyond billions of years bullshit. That clown is badass. No way is our focus on small details because they are memorable going to make the entire thing terrible.

- Hollywood Executive

I've been trying to think what catchphrases IT has and it's mostly "We all float down here" so expect that to some sick music while the clown is leading a demon army or something equally as idiotic.

to be fair when i was a kid, i was terrified of pennywise and chuky. Now being on the internet/liveleak/horror movies/video games have desensitized me and probaly alot of other people on here to most horror stuff(at least the basic types)

• Locked thread