Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I just watched the Killing Joke movie that Azzarello's credited for writing (the parts that aren't verbatim from Moore, obviously). No thanks.

Good lord, I've never seen such a blatant example of the road to hell being paved with good intentions. I understand wanting to address the criticisms of how Babs is treated in the original book, but, frankly, this is a case where they pretty much needed to let it stand on it's own, warts and all, because every step they take to try and 'fix' things just makes the whole endeavour come off as about 5 times more sexist. Because the issue was Moore was too SUBTLE about the sexual assault elements of the story, so let's have generic mobster #3 try to drug and rape Batgirl. Let's then victim blame Barbara AND have the well-publicised super-creepy fight/sex scene with Batman.

Oh, and it must've taken Azzarello all of 20 seconds to write Sassy Gay Friend.

Good god, I only watched the thing because Amazon had it up for their 99p rental thing over the holidays, but jesus christ...

The parts that are just the book's story are well done for what it is, and Hamill and Conroy do a good job with the dialogue, and hell, Tara Strong does what she CAN with what they give her, but gently caress, I'm not even sure anyone involved with the production, not Azzarello, not Sam Liu, not Dini or Timm have ever even MET a woman after that.

Oh, and the 'stinger' is the most eye-rolling thing I've ever seen.

Cross-posting from the DC thread, because I forgot this one even existed but I needed to vent about this piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's less about the spinal thing for the Lion Tamer and more that Jericho's working with much bigger guys in WWE than he did in the WCW cruiserweight division. Because WWE now has a lot of smaller guys, he'll break it out on them sometimes as a 'super' version.

DDTs aren't banned, though piledrivers that aren't tombstones done by the Undertaker and occasionally Kane have been. John Cena and CM Punk got in a poo poo-ton of trouble for doing one about 5 years ago on live TV. It's kind of hilarious to watch because Michael Cole shits himself when he realises they actually hit it instead of just reversing out of it like usually happens now.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xGvevIW1ZE

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 22, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Did they? I knew it was a pretty big deal, but the idea of John Cena getting in trouble for literally anything is surprising to me.

I think they were both going to get fined for it, but Cena paid both, I want to say?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Batman & Robin is one of those movies that benefits from the YouTube generation, where you can look up edited highlights, because big stretches of it are dull as gently caress.The fun parts are a lot of fun, like every moment John Glover is on screen, but then there's poo poo like the streetracing subplot and the entire third act which feel like they take 6 hours.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress it, this is technically comics related and it looks like it might actually be good so, for your approval, a trailer for DuckTales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LNgU4e1rE

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ufarn posted:

As has always been the case, DC should just give Lauren Faust a big bag of money and let her do whatever animated project she wants.

DC just don't like success.

Faust IS working with them, though. She's doing the DC Super Hero Girls series based on the doll line.

On a different note, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKSU82afy1w

I don't think it's disputable that this is on-topic now. The titles are LITERAL comic book panels, and that shot of the pirate ship is right out of the Barks comics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Catfishenfuego posted:

Watching Gods and Monsters and Flashpoint Paradox in the same night made me realize that every alternate universe/timeline story in DC comics is really similar.

Yup, it's always Superman, Batman and/or Wonder Woman are assholes and so the world is a horrible shithole dystopia.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do dig Kraven's goofy laser-tipped spear, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Sue Blu still active? Her and Romano feel like they were in charge of the booth on literally every cartoon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Schway

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I still have no idea how anyone can look at the BTAS Catwoman, and the TNBA Catwoman and think the latter is anything but a massive misstep. Like, how did it even get past the design phase? "She's the sleek, sexy burglar who's the Robin Hood to Batman's Zorro, and her original design reflects that by heavily referencing the Batsuit in it's aesthetic... I know, let's make her a goth in a bad homemade onesie!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't it take a lot of work for them to even have the suits allow that 2 second Nightwing cameo in the proto-Birds of Prey episode?

EDIT: Speaking of, I'm watching the Batman/Harley movie and... it's pretty decent so far? Even the scene with Harley and Nightwing hooking up feels mostly in-character, given that they're going with something in-between the DCAU and modern comics versions of the characters.

Hell, even the stinger would make a decent gimmick for a run on Harley's solo title, her being a celeb shrink in the Dr Phil mode seems like good fodder for gags and stories.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 11, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I'LL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH.

GET BACK HERE SHOCKAHHHHHH!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheHan posted:

Thirding that I'm really enjoying this new Spider-Man show. It's refreshing to have a Spidey show that remembers being Peter Parker and having a cast of normal (albeit very smart) people is what makes Spider-Man interesting.

Also Venom is from space, which is the superior origin.

Almost all of those smart people are characters that have spider-powers in the comics, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's kind of like if they did a Batman cartoon about Bruce Wayne at prep school and his friends were Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, Kate Kane and Terry McGinnis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Well obviously.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pre-med or criminology I think are the common ones that get used.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tangentially, I just saw a clip of Gotham that affirmed what I've been saying for YEARS and that's that Alexander Siddig is the perfect casting choice for Ra's. Like, it's eerie how much he looks like he stepped off the page, it's like Oldman in the Nolan films.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Seriously. I've avoided it so far but siddig as Ras is hard to ignore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjkZw17sjxg

Here, this is the bit I watched.
I haven't watched ANY of Gotham since like the third episode, but I do have to credit them with apparently making a show that's unafraid to have Ra's al Ghul pretty much appear unchanged from the comics. Just straight up "Yo, I'm an immortal warlord king from the middle-ages and people think I'm a demon in human form. 'sup?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, it looks like they're going the '"well, he has to learn all this ninja and detective poo poo some time, let's have it be on-screen" road.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You're right, his dad didn't take 80% of his screentime. I think this bold new take might work, thoHuh

I wasn't aware that 4-5 issues out of like 50 is 80%. But I never did higher math.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Beast Wars is this special category of show like Sailor Moon that I exclusively watched at six thirty or seven in the morning on WPIX every weekday and just exist as some weird half-dream.

Then I have to advise you that yes, all the Sailor Scouts did die in the first season finale, and Dinobot was totally contemplating ritual suicide in that one episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sailor Moon basically has the Cosmic Cube, so she uses it to banish the villain and essentially rewrites reality so her friends are alive again, and they (and she) don't remember ever being superheroes. She immediately gets her memory restored at the start of the second season and then spends several episodes trying to avoid restoring her friends so they don't have deal with being under constant threat of death and let them have normal lives.

Also somehow this splits her boyfriend into two dudes, one of whom dresses like a racist Arabian prince stereotype.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

You misspelled Uranus, tho?

My favourite moment in the series is actually the third season finale, where Sailor Moon ends up fighting the two more 'edgy' members of the team. They're refusing to listen to her because they're the tough gals that know how poo poo REALLY works and murder is definitely the only way, and this wuss probably isn't even a real moon princess anyway, so gently caress off. And then she kicks both their butts, including dodging every single blow from the one that is A) the hand-to-hand expert and B) the one with wind as her element, so being super-fast is her 'thing'.

That season is absolutely worth revisiting. The drama stuff is great, and the goofy poo poo is BANANAS. The lead director that year was the dude that ended up making Revolutionary Girl Utena and a bunch of other sapphic-themed animes, plus there's a bunch of the classic Japanese fantasy mish-mashing of Western cultural concepts and mythology.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Beast Machines was such a damned disappointment. Beast Wars was one of my favorite shows at the time so Machines kind of hurt. I didn't know that there was a planned third series.

Well, there was for sure a planned toyline, called TransTech, which as stated would've been back to the traditional vehicle forms. It was very ambitious from a toy-design perspective, and I'm not sure the cartoon got very far beyond loose design sketches.

War Planets/Shadow Raiders (the non-war title for this one is better, really) was pretty great though. A lot of the series is about politics, honestly, but in a way where kids can understand it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toshimo posted:

What was the lame rear end knock off transformers where they didn't turn into planes or cars or dinosaurs, but instead turned into regular loving rocks?

Rock Lords, and they were so lame they didn't even have their own cartoon show, they just guested on the GoBots.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

They also made Raptrap totally useless in battle so all he could do was run and hide and turned Rhinox into a villain.

Yeah, the problem was that the show sort of implied that the writers didn't understand the previous characterisations... except that it was the same writers from Beast Wars. If you pretend it's not meant to tie into Beast Wars, it's a half-decent show. And as a bonus you can also forget how they literally redid Blackarachnia's character arc again, just that she was trying to redeem her boyfriend, instead of the other way round. (Fun fact: Her design was LITERALLY based on a stripper from a club near the Mainframe offices)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Beast Machines had different writers, actually. The head writers of BM were Bob Skir and Marty Isenberg with the series treatment being done by Marv Wolfman, while Beast Wars was led by Bob Forward and Larry Ditillo. They were told by Hasbro and Dan Didio, then the head of Mainframe, not to watch earlier episodes initially.

Huh, I was sure Forward had worked on BW as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Evil!Rhinox acts exactly like Rhinox did when he got infected with a virus in season 1, so personally speaking, after having his personality warped and disillusioned with everything it doesn't really feel that out of character to me.

That doesn't explain Rattrap going from being the cynical ne'er-do-well commando to a literal coward and the comic relief.

hup posted:

For some reason I want to say Dan DiDio is who turned the kid sidekick in Reboot into a bootleg Cable

Hey, Matrix was my poo poo as a kid, and that was when they did crazy poo poo like the superhero episode and the Prisoner parody (which goes way further than most lazy parodies of the show from The Simpsons and such)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Plus, there are very few comic plots where the hero has to get stronger to defeat a powerful enemy. They usually have to learn to fight smarter, fight as a team, or find the macguffin. Wolverine isn't going to go to Japan to learn the drill claw technique to defeat Sabertooth, no matter how awesome that'd be.

He could at least send Colossus to some baseball lessons, pick up some new pitches.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Peter bumming money off children, 10/10 much accurate, very canon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume this means Zooey Deschanel as MJ? :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, DC starting their own streaming thing got a new run of Young Justice. Maybe Disney will greenlight more Gargoyles for their thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

What hurts the most about EMH dying was that they killed it in favor of something that was more in line with the movies only to deviate completely from the movies by the second season, thus defeating the purpose. With where things ended up, they could have just changed people's costumes in EMH and called it a day.

But kids are too dumb to follow story arcs! :downs:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, an animated TMNT show has never run less than like 5 seasons. The last one started in like 2011, the one before than was in '03 and ran until '09 and the 80s show ran for 10-ish seasons. It's not like they're cancelling these things without giving them a chance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's the weird situation with the '03 show where they had a whole season in the can, the network told them to scrap it, retool the show and set it in the future, and then told them to scrap THAT and just do more modern day NYC stories.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The IDW books have an equal amount of ninja stuff, alien/interdimensional sci-fi and the turtles being the pawns of ancient gods. (One of whom is the Pied Piper and another got it's rear end kicked by the Ghostbusters)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And one episode ends with Surtur forging his sword in a straight rip of the "DOOM! DOOM!" panels.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're including almost literally everyone from the OG She-Ra cartoon and toy-line, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

What's Hordak without Skeletor to bicker with?

I mean don't get me wrong, this show looks neat and I'm obviously not the target audience. I'm just being a big nerd.

Let Shadow Weaver be a bit snarkier and boom, you're done.