Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

posted this in the other thread, but I will never understand why cel-shaded CG with an artificially lowered framerate is a thing. It still won't pass for actual 2D anime, so you might as well keep the framerate up and take advantage of the strengths of the CG medium.

It's how all animators in Japan are taught. Their whole production process relies on animating on 2s and 3s.

For comparison, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl-ZBNmAokI is CG anime done on 1s vs 3s. The one on the right has less frames, but looks way better than the one on 1s because they just don't have time to polish full-frame-rate animation. If the frame rate was higher it would just look floaty and lifeless.

[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gotham by Gaslight is a sad reminder of how far the animation quality has fallen in DC movies. The backgrounds are fine but the way the characters move is just ugh.

Batman Ninja will be a breath of fresh air with a Japanese studio behind it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Recently rewatched some Justice League Unlimited. Man was that show good. Task Force X is a good version of Suicide Squad told in a quarter of the time. Also the animation in Dc was way better back then. Things really moved well and there was a great sense of kinetic action through cuts. The recent DVD stuff doesn’t come close

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

REally? All the animation in JLU seems pretty solid whereas Superman had a lot of stiff animation aside from the episodes that TMS did when they owed the Korean studio a favor. Part of the reason Worlds Finest looks so good is TMS animated all 3 episodes and it is just beautiful. Whereas JLU doesn’t have really standout episodes but everything moves pretty well. The action scenes in that Task Force X episode are just great.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cartoons generally shy away from continuity since they want to be accessible and the first two seasons of Justice League did that by sticking with two and three part storylines. But then in Unlimited they were like “Nope, time to do seasonal arcs that call back to events that happened 10 years ago in a different show. It was so rewarding as someone who grew up watching Superman to have the finale of that series play a big part in the Cadmus arc. And then all the callbacks in that final Batman Beyond centric episode. They really pushed the idea of a shared universe to the limits.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I preferred when it was all just rampant innuendo in the tv series. That’s a lot more fun.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Batman season 1 was rough. Season 2 has some good episodes and the Dracula movie is silly fun.

Long Halloween would be amazing animated but it would have to have magnificent animation. Probably only a few Japanese studios could handle the style and without the style it’s hardly the same piece of work. Tim Sales art does so much for the atmosphere.

Thinking about it made me remember this fan trailer for Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth
https://youtu.be/36-G8fFFJJk

The amount of work that must have taken, and it was made back in 2007. Yet the CG has almost crossed the uncanny valley, the music and voice acting choices are perfect, the atmosphere is great. Too bad its not at quite as clear and high a resolution as it would be if made today.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 5, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I remember it being decent.

The second part of the Death of Superman thing is coming out, The Reign of the Supermen. It looks to be decently animated but its from such a schlocky storyline.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Came across someone on Twitter credited as the Supervising Director on an Invincible animated show:

https://twitter.com/chriscopelandrt/status/1042811776927055873

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand how people are still trying to adapt that comic. Like, for the first 6 issues it seemed like it was Spider-man for the new generation, and everyone wanted a piece of it, then a planetary genocide happened with guts flying everywhere, and it only got more unmarketable from there.

I think we're at a place in pop culture where it wouldn't be a huge issue. They could just tone down the violence a bit. A ton of anime marketed as Netflix Originals has horrific violence along with fun shennanigans.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched Batman Bad Blood and was pretty impressed. Not only did it predict most of the Incredibles 2 plot, but it had better fight choreography than most of the DC movies, though the drawings were a little inconsistent during dialogue scenes. Made me wish for this to be part of a continuing set of Dc movies instead of a bunch of mostly unrelated one-offs.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I loved Superman TAS as a kid and the rewatch on DVD was great too. The highlights are the premier episodes, Worlds Finest, and the finale, but there was a bunch of real winners like The Late Mr Kent (the detective figuring out his secret identity as the gas chamber begins to fill is as dark as anything in Batman TAS) and the Supergirl intro episodes. Also that one with Braniac trapping Lex Luthor in the basement of his own building, that one is incredibly tense. It's funny that they were even able to retcon it into a plotline of Justice League.

It also has more of a narrative throughline than Batman or Batman Beyond. It slowly works up to Dark Side throughout the show, setting up the kind of continuity we'd see in Justice League.

Also probably the best depiction of Lois in any medium.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It was all flat colours because they had basically no budget. Batman Beyond moved fairly well for tv, although they didn’t get any episodes animated by TMS (aside from Return of the Joker movie) so it didn’t have standout episodes like Superman or Batman, Static Shock had a mid budget so it moved okay but a little jankier, and Zeta was just a mess.

Though I think they put more effort into the episodes where Batman shows up because this one has pretty smooth animation. Kinda funny that Batman is the only character with shadows.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4FTeJAYPLHc

Ccs fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 27, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m rewatching the Harley Quinn show and it’s really such an amazingly well put together series. The first episode is probably the weakest but the second episode crashing the Bar Mitzvah is incredible, and it just gets better from there. Also James Adomian as Bane is inspired, he does the best Hardy impression with just enough added wheedling and whining.
The voice acting is so on point, which is refreshing since every take on Harley Quinn outside of her original DCAU voice actress I’ve heard just doesn’t work. But this VA nails it, as do every other VA, especially Ivy’s. But they’re all so great. I was questioning if Harley is supposed to be Jewish or Italian. The episode with her family makes it sound like she’s the child of a stereotypical east coast Jewish mother and stereotypical east coast Italian father.
Also I found the art style very reminiscent of Cory Walkers art, but more expressive. That same appealing economy of line though. The cyclops in a latter season 1 episode looked a lot like Allen the Alien.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

There's been Jewish gangs in the north-east just like Italian, Irish and pretty much any other minority that've been persecuted, wouldn't be a stretch for Harley's dad to have come up in one of those.
Also, as much as I largely agree about the pilot, the gag about Costco slays me every time.

Yeah, it's just that her dad specifically goes to an Italian mob for a loan. That and how he's dressed and talks makes me think he's Italian. I would've thought Harley's mom was Italian too except she drops specific references to goys and being a jewish mother.

The pilot is still good, just not quite as great as the second episode, which is excellent.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I really appreciate how Harley Quinn was willing to do the Kite Man plot without having Kite Man be bad/in the wrong/jealous and just getting the confidence to say he deserves better and leave a toxic relationship.

Yeah they really threaded the needle at the end there. Great stuff.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Watched the first episode of Invincible. Very true to the comic. Gore isn’t much beyond big blood splatters but the sound effects make them more disturbing I guess.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

stratdax posted:

??

You did see the fight at the end? Or did you stop it the second the credits came on. Because if that's what you're describing as not much beyond blood splatters....Yeesh.

There was some crunching sound effects but otherwise it’s just like a bunch of garish red coming out of everyone. I dunno, I watched stuff like Dorohedoro on Netflix recently which is a cartoon that goes way harder with the gore.

Nanigans posted:

I don't think there's a trailer yet, but they're adapting "The Long Halloween" now. It's my favorite Batman story, and I know 90% of these DTV movies have been awful but...maybe this one will be okay?

Oh god I want this to be good so badly but I recently watched hbomberguys discussion of the animated Killing Joke and it reminded me the people adapting these things have no goddamn idea what they’re doing.
His video is an excellent overview of all the reasons it didn’t work: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRDiUD1a8c

Ccs fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 2, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The thing with Long Halloween is we already have a wonderful example of how it could be brought to life in animation, with the heavy black shadows of Tim Sale’s art intact. If they went with this kind of style:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ox73d17Sv8

Actually this is an even better clip. Some the dialogue isn’t great but the music and style is totally on point:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qkwDCV41zN8

But that’s probably not going to happen. Instead we’re going to be getting a very watered down version, outsourced to one of the second rate studios that DC uses for their animated direct to video projects.

So we'll probably never get imagery as powerful as this which was one of the main strengths of The Long Halloween. The tone Sale’s art created was incredible.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 3, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

RIP Dwayne McDuffie. Not his finest writing....

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wait did they have this idea way back in Batman Beyond or they just designed two parents as redheads and gave their kids both black hair? Unless there was some crazy planning ahead at the start, that is a pretty funny design mistake.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s no Tim Sale art style that’s for sure. Shadows need to be all black, a void needs to be swallowing half the screen. Movement is also very minimal.

Plus the way Sale did faces is really great, this has none of that. Oh well, can’t say I expected any different.

Let’s just take a moment to appreciate Sale’s art.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 7, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

catlord posted:

I absolutely love heavy shadows like Sale and Mignola (and to a lesser extent, Kirby) do. I would love to see it in motion, but I'm also not sure how well it'd translate over? Still, they could at least try.

Check out this clip from In Darkness Dwells: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qkwDCV41zN8

Of course that’s from Madhouse, one of the best animation studios on the planet (or at least it was back when that was made.)

Also anything from Takeshi Koike like Fujiko Mine or Redline.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I feel like every franchise only gets one anime compilation film. Star Wars is getting its due soon. You'd think DC could drop the cash to get an anime studio like TMS to do all their animated adaptions but I suppose they've figured out the less competent studios elsewhere are a better deal and most people don't notice animation quality enough for it to matter. Gotham Knight was ostensibly connected to the Nolan Batman films so I think that's why it got the bigger budget.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Invincible’s quality is a function of the amount of footage they had to get through. I’m not necessarily expecting the visuals to improve by leaps and bounds in subsequent seasons but I expect the first did well enough that the next ones will be a bit more polished.

Anyway yeah the new DC shows looks good, though something about groundbreaking animation techniques in an article about Batman made me worry they’re gonna try cgi to get texture on the characters and it’s gonna look all janky.

Anyone seem that Zima Blue short from Love Death Robots? A Batman series that looked sort of like that (appears to be traditional animation but with a lot of texture on the faces somehow) would be amazing. Might be bank breaking though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m trying to watch this Long Halloween animated adaption and it’s almost good but just too padded out and lacking the tone of the comics by half.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

X Men 97 should be interesting. I never watched the original and don’t really have a desire to because of how shaky the animation is, but the new series should have better quality.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That Fatal Five movie was weird, seeing Justice league unlimited coming back from the dead 15 years later with more violence and cursing. Would have been cool if they’d continued with those characters. Was the Martian girl in anything else in this timeline? Is young Justice canonical to the DCAU?

Other than Batman Ninja I have not been able to get through any other recent (ie past 10 years) DC animated movie. I got 5 minutes into red hood before the bad joker turned me off. Long Halloween just reminded me how much better the comic was. Superman vs the elite was just weird. Justice league dark had terrible animation.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

That sums up pretty much every single DC direct to video animated movie except maybe Batman Ninja. If Killing Joke had actually tried to emulate Brian Bolland's art, or Long Halloween and Tim Sale they would have been so much better.

Yeah, at least if Long Halloween hadn't been so afraid to use actual black. They made the shadows a bit darker but it doesn't capture how much black there is in that comic.

I thought they were attempting Tim Sale's art style and just failed, but then I saw that Long Halloween is considered part of the "Tomorrowverse" series of DC Animated movies, which have a unified art style.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Worlds Finest 3 parter is also technically part of Superman's series instead of Batman, and its amazing. Best teamup ever. That scene where the two meet is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJURV-vbQEU

The episodes of Superman I think are really worth watching are those animated by TMS (there's a list here https://dcau.fandom.com/wiki/TMS_Entertainment,_Ltd. ) They really did a great job on elevating tv animation. You can feel a real difference in the quality of the acting and action in these episodes. And the two parters Apokalips...Now and Legacy are both worth checking out just to see how Darkseid brings the series to a climax. Sadly those weren't animated by TMS so the animation is only serviceable.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ahaha Watchmen is gonna be so terrible, they'll use modern color styles instead of trying to fit the comic, then they'll rush through every plot point, hit a few iconic panels but probably not be able to capture them properly (like how they messed up Long Halloween) and cash the check.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It doesn't look like a cheap show, so its cool that its managing to keep a good quality on a tight budget. then again anime is known for that, but i assume at least the stateside crew is making more than $3 an hour anime wages. Who knows what the rates at studio mir are, but i work with lots of korean animators who now work in canada for a reason.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

eternaldough posted:

I really liked/like The Batman cartoon from 2005(6?4?). The theme song from the first two seasons I thought was the coolest thing in the world. I honestly was really against the second opening because it was so different and I didnt want to accept it, but its honestly really good too. All together I also just really like the look and feel of everything, and Catwoman's design in this show is my fav of all her animated appearances.

Also the dracula movie is so silly but I love it a ton. Wouldnt mind making it a halloween staple 🧛‍♂️

As a hardcore DCAU fan I was bitterly against the first season of that show and gradually warmed to it, eventually watching all of season 2 through 5(?). It was pretty good, had a Jackie Chan adventures feel to it because of some of the same ppl who worked on it. One of the most unusual takes on the Joker. But hey, you're not gonna do better than Mark Hammil so gotta try something different.

The Dracula Batman movie was fun.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Back when they got Telecom or MOI Animation to work on their movies, the DC stuff looked nice. I'm not sure who they're using nowadays but its stiff as anything.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I tried watching season 2 of What If but didn't manage to stay invested. My interest in Marvel stuff this year is just nothing

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

mllaneza posted:

BTAS talk always puts me in mind of the movie poster gallery some mad artist made,

https://imgur.com/gallery/1HArE

Wow. Part of me feels this is unnecessary since every episode already had beautiful title cards. But this is pretty great.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's an interesting graphic novel called Pyongyang about a Quebecois animation director sent over to North Korea to guide the animators works. Before Flash/Toon Boom became common in the industry, which combined with tax credits in Quebec allowed productions to be animated domestically again, there was a lot of outsourcing to Asia including North Korea. It wasn't without the knowledge of the producers in that case though.