Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'll forgive any and every error in The Movie, because the "Normal View" song is the single funniest thing ever committed to film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I like that he's wearing yellow, since Joel and Mike wore the other two primary colors. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but I'm digging it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Frankenstyle posted:

Now that I think about it, it's weird. I like Joel better, but if I did a top ten they'd definitely all be Mike episodes.

That's not weird at all. The Joel years are rougher. They were still finding their feet and figuring out what worked and didn't work. By the time Mike stated hosting they had become more of a well oiled machine. Writers were just much better polished after half a decade of riffing.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Watching Killer Shrews. I love Crow's continued wearing of the slacks throughout the episode.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Glamorama26 posted:

Is he wearing slacks?!?!

Joel gives them to him as a gift in the opening sketch, and he wears them in the rest of the host segments. I have no idea if he's wearing them in the theater, as there's no way to tell.

If I recall correctly he wears them a few times in later episodes, whenever he's supposed to dress nicely.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 22, 2016

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Crow's Trumpy voice makes the episode for me.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

If this is legit the voted order it's neat they're alternating hosts.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

gently caress I forgot how great their horror at the sex scene is. I'm dying here.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The worst "lead" to ever appear on MST3K is hands down Ross Allen from Catching Trouble.

Yeah, but all the animals were likable.

I nominate I Accuse My Parents. Everybody's terrible in it, except maybe Hamburger Sandwich Man.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

That's why it's a "maybe". If he was just a nice guy who fed a troubled teen he'd be a good person.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Merlin's Mystical Shop

"So Billy, by this time a kid had thrown a chicken while an infertile couple looked at a store." is in my Top 10 riffs of all time.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I think I'm cursed to hear this as "cah-vay" in my head for the rest of my life.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cave Dwellers

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I can't think of any black & white sword and sorcery films they watched. The only other bat-wing helmets I can think of are Deathstalker (which you already said it wasn't) and Quest of the Delta Knights.

That's Deathstalker. Delta Knights you can see four and a half minutes into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvPzxC_HpPA&hd=1

EDIT: Forgot about Viking Women. If it's B&W it's gotta be that.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 4, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

I've always found The Movie to be pretty accessable.

Agreed.

Space Mutiny seems to be a popular recommendation, but when I tried using it the seemingly seven hour long intro sketch turned some people off. A flaw in the SciFi years.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I would assume opening theme and no plot, same as the Joel years.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with RP1 and I never understood the following it got.

Because geeks think "literally just listing things that are generally liked by geeks" is the height of entertainment.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You said "funny" and "Xerox" so I'm using it as an excuse to post this video.

https://youtu.be/PZbqAMEwtOE

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Bill was nothing like Trace, yet his Crow was still awesome.

Bill wasn't "nothing like Trace" though. Yeah, they weren't identical, but they were similar enough to be two people doing the "same" voice. Like two people playing Santa.

Kevin and J. Elvis, on the other hand, had completely different takes on Servo, so it's apparently tradition for the Servo voices to make zero attempt to ape each other.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Also, I guess when you think about it, isn't Cambot the only one going through the elaborate doors that go into the theater?

Mike runs through them once.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Watching Santa Claus Conquers the Martians with the wife, and one of the running gags is Joel and the bots making up gibberish names for the martians. I just caught that one of the made up names is Rimjob.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not sure we need a backstory that can't just be covered in the opening theme.

In the not-too-distant future --
Next Sunday, A.D. --
There was a guy named Jonah,
Not too different than you or me.
He drove a shuttle through outer space,
Helping people all over the place;
He was lured to Moon Base Thirteen,
And captured by Mad Scientists
To use in their evil scheme.

We'll send him cheesy movies,
The worst we can find.
He'll have to sit and watch them all,
And we'll monitor his mind.
Now keep in mind he can't control
When the movies begin or end,
Because he used the extra parts
To make his robot friends.

Robot roll-call:
Cambot
Gypsy
Tom Servo
Crow!

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts,
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax
For Mystery Science Theater 3000."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

2. Holy poo poo do I love Kinga's Robot Monster henchmen.

I can't unsee the batch on the tall one, though.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whoa, lets not get crazy here. The 90's films are Grade-A enjoyable schlock. It's the Millennium films that suck.

How dare you, sir!

Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-out Attack is the best thing that ever happened to this blighted Earth.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/d_o4yFjSWUw

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I have decided that Trace Beaulieu is the best cast member. Clayton Forrester is my favorite villain, Crow is my favorite robot, and he is my favorite Crow.

Discuss.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Just read through 15 drat pages to make sure nobody else mentioned these subtle references I dig.

1) "Push the button, Max!" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Igz5SfBCE&hd=1

2) Jonah Heston - Joel chose Robinson as his character name to ape Swiss Family Robinson/Lost In Space. I assume Jonah's character's name is a Planet of the Apes reference.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Maybe I missed a conversation, but I don't think anybody's mention something that I noticed in the opening sequence.

During the line "an evil woman trapped him on the dark side of the moon" the number displayed on Jonah's computer monitors is different every episode. It isn't the episode number, because Loves of Hercules (episode 8) it was 005, and Yongary (episode 9) it's 008.

I wonder if there's any hidden meaning to those.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

It's supposed to be refills of the liquid movie.

This isn't true. Joel had only said it's "the payload" and refused to specify further.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm 5 minutes into Wizards of the Lost Kingdom and what the gently caress is going on? There's a gargoyle screaming in pain while a yeti makes Eegah noises.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's possible some explanation was cut from the episode. I'm assuming they still edit these movies down for MST3K, because the episodes are only 90 minutes, including skits, commercial breaks, and opening/closing credits.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Good Lord Almighty, I want a t-shirt with the logo for the Moon 14 dinosaur barbeque joint.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I went back and watched The Movie and it's a lot better than I remembered. I like Mike's hamster wheel thingy.

The movie is amazingly solid, and one of my go-to introductions for people who've never seen the show before.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Joel/Mike & the bots weren't nearly as active in the theater as Jonah and the bots are, right? Even excluding Servo flying around it seems like they're doing more while watching the film. Which catches me off guard because I tend to ignore the silhouettes when watching the movie.

Oh yeah, they're all about the props. They take out umbrellas, fly drones, ride horses, etc.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm still not sold on The Mads having an entire crew full of goons helping them out. That and the house band make the whole thing feel way too big. It should just be Kinga and Son of TV's Frank, with Pearl's clone showing up occasionally. I also vastly prefer the old "revolving moon" commercial cuts over the weird new "recap with house band" bits.

I'm ok with it, because the whole concept of Kinga's experiment is ratings and franchise building. Like, it wouldn't make sense for Clayton to have had a band any more than it would for Victor Frankenstein, but Kinga absolutely would have budgeted a house band a commercial bumpers into the experiment supplies.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

Loves of Hercules. [spoiler]Hercules' penchant for just lifting heavy things and walking around with them.
[/spoiler

I loved the wormy sad little voice they used talking as him whenever he did that.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I genuinely wish I could watch a big budget Hollywood movie that was mostly intended as a serious genre piece that out of nowhere just has a huge monster stomp his way into the movie during like the last fifth.

Best possible thing would be a secret District 9 sequel where the prawns invade halfway through some big budget romantic comedy.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm like five minutes into Wizards of the Lost Kingdom...is this a sequel to something or something?

Nope!

ala Pod People and Cave Dwellers it just has a random different movie at the beginning.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Brain Guy's makeup looks way too severe.

The first time Kinga talks to the head Observer the two behind him have shoddily applied makeup with normal skin showing through, and are just holding their brains without dishes and keep fumbling with them. It was so weird I expected them to turn it to be fakes.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The closed captions try really hard in this video.