Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Is this going to be available only in the US? No idea how US Netflix works (if at all) in the UK -- will be gutting if there's no way to see the new series in the UK (and I'm not into dodgy streaming and that...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

According to the Hollywood Reporter article about the deal, it'll be on Netflix in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the U.K.

Thanks for the info!

To coin a phrase: 'Huzzah!'

or, 'ATCHKA!'

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I just finished watching Riding With Death, flipped channels and stumbled across an episode of The Love Boat. And who was there? Yep, Ben Murphy.

This post is missing its :smug:

Squirm was the gateway for Mr Boods -- being British, he doesn't know/recognise the usual made-for-TV actors that show up in many of the shows. But even he knows, nobody is that Southern.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

In this household, 'Are you in Europe? Do you need an adaptor' is in almost every day use, delivered in the same flat tone as in the sketch.

And if your hands were made of metal, that would mean something.

Also, if we're making a party mix tape, I think we need look no further than Pod People -- 'Idiot Control Now' and Joel and the Bots' take on Trumpy's Magical Things are essential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX48Mlxa4gs

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 25, 2016

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Davros1 posted:

The secret government Eggo Project

Eggs are complicated. They should cost $100 each.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

The Ape of Naples posted:

A Million Bucks!

I do love how Depressing Dad come back in Teenage Werewolf as pretty much the same character.

You'd be depressed, too, if your pet pig was smarter than you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTEcL7bw6U4

I love the depressing ones like High School Big Shot and Teen-Aged Crime Wave. My mum and Terry are the same age (b. 1929), so it's weird ever to think of my mum being that young (she was a bit of a hell-raiser, but as far as I know she never held a simple farm family hostage at Thanksgiving).

Speaking of actors who died shortly/tragically after their films -- Kim Milford (Laserblast) died of complications from heart surgery; Rainbeaux Smith (Billy's girlfriend in the same film) of complications from heroin addiction...and then poor John Reynolds...

I enjoy trying to find out stuff about how/why some of the films were made -- the nuttiness behind the scenes of Teenagers from Outer Space is more entertaining than what made the screen (although it's one of my faves, being the first one I saw in its entirety).

ETA -- whoops, my mistake -- I got Malcolm Atterbury (Marvin's dad) mixed up with Hank Patterson (Fred Ziffle).

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 26, 2016

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

We've gone through a lot of MST3K here, but I've never wanted to show Mr Boods Diabolik, because it's 'the last one.' (I know, there's loads of Rifftrax, but I've had a hell of a time getting him to get into them).

Earlier today: We have to get Netflix this autumn. No arguments.

Him: Why, what's up?

Me: MST3K is coming back.

Him: Consider it done

:allears:

The answer, my friend, is blow it out your arse.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Richard Kiel's smoooooth delivery in Human Duplicators is one of the best things in the world.

Dolly....pretty dolly...

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

One of my all-time favorite riffs is just the deranged laughter in response to that mechanical reindeer, because really, how are you supposed to respond to that?

Similarly, Tom Servo's perfectly-timed scream in the "buzz off, kid" scene in Mitchell.

For me, it's Tom's 'End. End. ENNNNDDDD' in Batwoman. Until we watched that one, no one in this house realised that this cry of despair (especially during particularly crap Top of the Pops and Eurovision acts)* was not original to me. Tom's meltdowns are some of my highlights (as are when you can tell the guys are genuinely busting each other up, like during Laserblast.)

Any time Crow suffers a freakout and falls apart, catches on fire, etc., is Mr Boods's fave.

*Hey, I like to watch old TotP on BBC Four; bite me.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

BooDoug187 posted:

Sorry, back in Da Nang there for a minuet!

I always liked the little dark riff like when they would freeze frame on a person's face or have some kind of cast call at the end of the movie and you her Servo say "Died in Vietnam"

I like whenever someone looks down the barrel of the camera, and Mike/bots will say a variation of 'And what do you, the viewers at home think?' (There's a great one in Alien from LA) We do it every time anyone in a film or show happens to look at the camera and you know it's unintentional.

Command Ant posted:

I can't say "onions" properly because of Track of the Moon Beast. Every time I want to order onions on something, or God forbid if I'm actually describing the ingredients in something and it has onions in it...

I adore the stew recipe...it's perfecting the little :sigh:. The few times in my life when I've been able to fold that riff into a conversation are the ones I'll cherish when I'm wasting away in the shed with the other grandmas.

Also, the reveal of Crow's Jack Elam impersonation...the eyes...I learned about 25 or so years ago now that man is a feeling creature never, ever to eat or drink anything, even now, during an episode.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

CommaToes posted:

One of the hardest I've ever laughed at this show was in an episode of a movie from the 50's where the lead character was in a band and I kept wanting them to mock his pants, because they were way too high.

And they just left it. They didn't mention it at all.

Until the host segment where Joel just sang "Hike your pants up, to the sky" over and over in a rockabilly style.

I don't know why, but the absence of a joke for a long period of time just makes the payoff better.

ninja edit: found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgzBc-8g4u0

And in real life, Dick Contino was best known as an accordian player; he was drafted, but allegedly went AWOL rather quickly on because he missed his mum.

Want some? [slap] [thunk]

ninja edit -- Oh wow, he's still alive, and the MST3K version of his film apparently boosted his image in the music business :unsmith:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Contino

Still has that Dudley Do-Right smile at 85
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1sRA2Wi0kA

This makes me happy :buddy:

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 28, 2016

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

I got this and thought it was good, but Frank will veer off the topic of the movie he started with. I don't mind it, but it's something to be aware of.

I'm about half way through; I deliberately didn't look at the table of contents to be surprised as I reach each new chapter. It's true he wanders about quite a bit, but h's pretty funny.

Also, he thinks if there were Beatles' films and Hermans Hermit films and a DC5 film* in the 1960s, that there ought to have been a Kinks' film, so that makes Frank all right by me :colbert:

The most terrifying sentence (for me, as a :corsair: whose kidhood was the 1970s -- I remember when The Incredible Melting Man was on general release and my mother being adamant that no way was I allowed to see it) in the entire work, though, is when he remarks that we're now just about as far removed from the first episode of MST3K as they were from the 1950s films they riffed :ohdear:

*The Dave Clark 5 one is called Catch Us if You Can (it had a different title in the US), and Frank's right, that is is really good.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, times have definitely changed, but this is still a bit misleading. It's true that the black-and-white films they were doing were usually only 30-40 years old, but they feel much older because of all the things they didn't have -- color, modern sound and lighting, swearing, blood, decent roles for women and minorities, extensive editing, etc. The end of the Hays Code, the collapse of the studio system, and the rise of the "film school brats" and the modern blockbuster meant that the late sixties to early seventies saw the most radical transformation in the history of film since the end of the silent era and there's been nothing like it since. If you went back 30-40 years in the 90s, it meant descending into an era where just about everything (except, sometimes, the works of a few truly innovative filmmakers like Wells, Kubrick, and Hitchcock) feels slow, drab, stagey, cheesy, and cheap. These days, going back 30-40 years to the 70s and 80s gets you dated styles and grainy picture (like in Mitchel), as well as lots of cheap/bad looking special effects, somewhat fewer roles for women and minorities (though the difference isn't nearly as great as four decades of "progress" would suggest), and a certain New Hollywood stateliness to the pacing, but those differences aren't nearly so stark. Sure we have CGI, superheroes, and frenetic Michael Bay pacing now, but that's nothing like realizing that The Beginning of the End was made less than 20 years before Jaws.

Heh, I just meant in terms of time & feeling :corsair:, not themes (but you make a valid point!) Any day now I'll be hiking up my trousers and talking in earnest about springs whilst wearing a hankerchief on my head.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

There's a distressing lack of Pumaman here.

Mr Boods was flicking the the selection of episodes on offer last night, and asked, 'Is this one about a pyuma-man any good?'

I may or may not live with Donald Pleasance. He's definitely not funky and owns no silver muu muus, though.

Myself -- Puma Man, Night of the Blood Beast (so many Steves), both Bryant Halliday films, Melting Man, all brilliant.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I was living in Minneapolis (my first and horrific year of grad school; thank gently caress they threw me out) and caught occasional bits of the show on its backwater home channel -- my roommate and I would hit up KTMA because it showed a lot of rebroadcasts of childhood braincandy stuff, much needed to wind down after the departmental bollix and stuff we were slogging through. It reminded me of when my oldest brother and I would watch monster movies on Saturdays when I was growing up, and he'd make fun of the films to keep me from being scared (he's about 12 years older than I am). Joel and Trace Beaulieu are pretty close to my brother(s) in age, so a lot of their riffs on older shows and films, toys, and products reminded me of growing up with much older siblings and their tastes/inheriting their toys, even though I'm way younger.

Don't recall any one particular film from there, just the comforting goofiness, then got chucked out of UMinn, moved across the country, didn't have cable TV for a year or two, and then ended up with a roommate who sprung for cable that included Comedy Central -- took a little while to realise the adverts they had were for the talk-to-the-film puppet show from Mlps (CC had a way of advertising some shows that made their super obnoxious and not at all what the show's premise was), and realised during a compilation thing my roommate was watching that Teenagers from Outer Space was the same show, albeit with changes, that we'd been watching a few years prior. So I guess that would have been around 1992? that I rediscovered it, and eventually managed to catch up with the previous couple of years since they were showing older complete episodes every night and then the new ones on Saturdays.

I distinctly recall working in the library on my work-study project, bored out of my mind, and thinking, 'gently caress this, I have a new MST3K on video, I'm outta here' (and I had the theme song stuck in my head, which didn't help my concentration).

(Even though I didn't have a very good experience at UMinn, the Peter Graves :smug: riffs always did make me laugh. I have no idea where the natatorium is.)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Aw, sad to hear that the Master is away, but I'd like to think that Torgo's been watching the place for him in Second Banana Heaven all this time :unsmith:

Meanwhile, I'm upstairs working, hear the postie come to the door with a big package for Mr Boods, hear a lot rustling and unwrapping noises, then:

Noooooo springs! [whistle]

More rummaging noises.

No....springs? [whistle]

Still more rummaging noises.

Ahhh, goddamnit, Coily, you bastard.

[Apparently he just got a shedload of parts for his mountain bike, and one of the smaller packages was smashed and torn open in transit.]

I love Squirm as well, right up there with one of my all-time favourites. We've been watching a heck of a lot of MST3K the past few days to cope with current events.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Track of the Moonbeast this evening. How I love Johnny Longbow and his stew. I even like his slide show.

♩♪♫♫California Lady ♪♫

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cW6rZSruo

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

So re-replying to this post because Joel actually explained how to get the KTMA episodes if you didn't back the Kickstarter. Basically you go to https://mst3k.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/68623 and the $40 buy in gets you a bunch of stuff and the lost episodes.

Cheers for this!

Meanwhile, trying to decide this evening between Jungle Goddess and Rocket Attack USA. Help me.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Aw, we meant to do a post-Christmas stupor/Boxing Day Rifftrax-a-thon, but they've all been pulled off Amazon Prime (there were about 20 of them there, including Kingdom of the Spiders -- a twofer for me with William Shatnering it around and then seeing a childhood pal appear in the film; she lived in Camp Verde at the time).

Still, got a copy of Growing Up with Manos: The Hands of Fate: How I was the Child Star of the Worst Movie Ever Made and Lived to Tell the Story from Father Christmas and that :black101:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

MrSlam posted:

*Eyes pop out of head*
IM BLIND!

:geno: Help me. :geno:

SirPhoebos posted:

Narrator: :geno: "THERE IS ONE WORD IN NUCLEAR PHYSICS MORE FEARED THAN ANY OTHER,"

Joel: :v: "Oops!"

This exchange and 'The answer my friend, is blow it out your arse' never fail to catch me off guard and make me laugh like a loon. (That and the increasing gastric noises supplied for the Fat Man in Overdrawn at the Memory Bank)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I haven't revisited Diabolik in years because it made me sad that it was the last one. :gbsmith:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Annnnd I will be staying out in the States from early April through to the 25th with someone who has Netflix, but absolutely hates MST3K.

Still, I have the entire week after I get back home off on leave, as it's the last week of spring break :dance:

Davros1 posted:

The ending was perfect though.

And at last I'll be showing that episode to Mr Boods, who's said he'll subscribe to Netflix specifically for the revival, followed immediately by the first new episode.

:ohdear: that is, if UK Netflix is carrying it...

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

:sever:

As for other viewing options, if you backed the kickstarter to the tune of 85 bucks or more, you get to download the entire season. So if you know someone in the area who threw a silly amount of money at our favorite puppet show, you have seven weeks to goad them into hosting fourteen viewing parties (or a single, rather long party).

Heh -- I was run off my feet at the time of the kickstarter (and financially compromised at the time) and didn't get a chance to do any proper contribution sadly. No one else I know is into the show.

Yeah, this person is someone I went to grad school with, so she's my age (:corsair: 52), but she's always hated it as too lowbrow and that. Meh. She's a good pal, though -- she's not keen on the whole puppet thing, but likes to trash talk trashy films -- she's got Amazon Prime, so might persuade her to try a Rifftrack.

Diabolik900 posted:

It is. Netflix is confirmed to be carrying the new season in what they consider "the English-speaking territories", which are specifically the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and Ireland. I don't think there's any official word on availability for non-backers elsewhere though.

Ah, brilliant. I'll probably avoid this thread between the initial launch and when I can see the episodes because I'd like to go in blind and fresh, if that makes any sense!

Seeing the screenshot above of the launch date sent a happy shiver down my spine. Because Mr Boods has never seen most of the episodes, it doesn't feel as if the show's ever gone away as we've spent the last couple of years watching an episode or so a week as time allows (and we've been doing Rifftrax on Amazon Prime as well), but the launch date really hit home that the last time there was a new MST3K was a completely different life ago for me. I've marked it on my calendar!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Bobo was meh for me up until he plays the lawyer in Mike's crimes against humanity sketches.

"Shut up, boy, I'm defending you.'

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

brocked posted:

Danger! Twist tie!

The film time I saw this one, my ex and I spent about a month going 'Danger! [whatever we happened to see/have at hand at the moment]'. It's worth reviving if only to baffle my colleagues.

Speaking of Rifftrax, Mr Boods was sifting through them last week on Prime while I was reading a book, so it came as a wonderful surprise that Boy in the Plastic Bubble is currently on offer. I actually let out a small shriek of joy when he asked, 'Is this one ok? It's got John Travolta in it!'

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

A couple of years ago, Boy popped up on a movie channel. I've been working on transferring the Rifftrax audio to it since it's crystal clear as opposed to that recorded-on-SLP-mode version we got from Rifftrax. It's tricky since the newer version was broadcast at a slightly different speed than the riffed version.

The crap/dreamy picture quality (made even worse when played over a PAL tv system) added a bit to my nostalgia, as I remember when the film came out (in those heady days of sixth or seventh grade and Teenbeat and that) and a couple of my pals swooning over it.

We had to pause it at the Arby's riff as it caught Mr Boods off guard; sadly he's never seen Welcome Back, Kotter and had no idea that Travolta did anything prior to Pulp Fiction and Grease...(same issue comes up in Village of the Giants -- they all known Ron Howard as Richie Cunningham over here, but trying to explain all the Opie (and Music Man) references...

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

There's like 15 years between those movies.

He knows Grease from being a pre-teen with a younger sister when it came out. Then he picks up again with Travolta's output with Pulp Fiction. I didn't quiz him further on his ignorance of the rest of Travolta's output in between because it could have led to a dark confession about Moment by Moment. There's some things you don't poke with a stick.

He did appreciate all of the Scientology riffs, however :tinfoil:

[He's not seen Saturday Night Fever -- I did ask about that. But then again, he's just not got the time to scroll up every classic cinema.]

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

One of the greatest moments of my life was when I actually got to take a flight to San Francisco International Airport.

Pro tip: never respond to a TSA guy's questions with 'The answer, my friend, is blow it out your arse.'

He will NOT reply :smug: My airport, my way.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

The actress who plays Debbie in Manos is the daughter, not grand daughter, of the actor who plays the Master. She got the best wages out of any of the cast, being given a bicycle for her contributions. The actress wrote a book about the entire experience which is a fun read!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

The best reaction had to be Miles O'Keefe. He called Best Brains right after Cavedwellers aired to ask for a copy. The guys were crapping themselves thinking he was going to be pissed and come to kick their asses.

Don't forget Beverley Garland -- she was a huge fan and helped out with some of their bumpers and specials.

We've been watching Rifftrax lately as a bunch are free on Amazon Prime. Zindy the Swamp Boy is....unexpectedly dark.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well that is a lot of Keefe.

If only there were a quantitative unit of measurement to work out just how much Keefe it is....

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Natalie from Werewolf has the same accent as Tommy Wiseau. I think she's secretly his cousin.

:geno: That is abasahlootely fascinating

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

On a related note, there's also a fair bit of Rifftrax movies available on Prime Video now, too. They're part of the Prime subscription IIRC, so you shouldn't need to have a subscription to an additional channel to watch them.

Crikey, yes -- Mr Boods and I watched Guy from Harlem last night.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

:smug: My airport, my waayyyyyyfuckinghell wha's that guy doing on the runway :stonk:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40571913

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I love San Francisco International :allears:

That 'answer my friend' line and all of the Fat Man's gastric noises from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank never, ever fail to make me laugh.

Also, I use 'he's a made for TV hippie' in real life as often as possible.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

He's just a lonely boy.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

We've been working out way through the rival (just have two more to go) and loads of Riffrax (as they are on Amazon Prime), but last night went for Time Chasers.

Hi, I'm Bob Evil.

Patrick Brantseg's 'Dude' factory worker is one of my favourite host segment guest-characters.

I also like the aerial dog-fight over colonial-era Vermont where you can clearly see traffic, modern housing, and at one point a parked-up tractor trailer.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

TL posted:

I’m hoping Riding With Death, as its very seasonally appropriate.

Turkeys HOOOOOO!

I have to teach on Thanksgiving, but I will be sure to keep my patent papers at a slight angle nevertheless.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

We'll have a turkey update. :v:

Cheers -- I knew I could count on all of, since you're all quite a gal.

(I love Riding with Death.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

business hammocks posted:

In case you were someone who turned it off already, they announced a season 12.

I wasn't able to watch the stream (even though by the time I was finished with teaching it was before midday over here), and woke up this morning to see the title change on this thread.

Never before has HUZZAH been so appropriate.

Any screenshots of the buff Joel? Asking for my good friend Abby, cos she's quite a gal.