Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I still wonder why not have new bots instead of recasting Crow and Tom again, but I trust Joel knows what he's doing, and excitement is winning out over doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I tried to use Hobgoblins to introduce my wife and it took her two years to give the show another shot.

My fiancee absolutely cannot stand Mike, to the point that she won't watch any episodes with him hosting. She hadn't seen the show before I introduced her to it, and didn't know Joel vs. Mike was a thing. :shrug:
The first episode she really liked was Pod People, so add that to the list of good introductory episodes, I guess.

Apoplexy posted:

Monster A Go-Go is literally the worst thing I've ever seen, up to and including Mr. Hands, 2girls1cup, 1guy1jar, and Batman vs. Superman.

It doesn't usually get cited as their worst movie, but for me it's Lost Continent. A whole lot of nothing padded out to feature length by more nothing. It's an offensively boring waste of film, and provided so little to work with that not even MST3K could render it watchable. Rock climbing!

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Mad Monster and The Corpse Vanishes were from 1942. Parents was 1944.

And if we count shorts, I think the oldest thing they riffed was the Phantom Creeps series (1939) in Season 2.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 25, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I can't recall any MST3K movie I've unironically enjoyed, but I remember thinking the guy who played the villain in The Rebel Set gave a better performance than the movie deserved. Also the mummy from The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy could have been convincingly creepy in a less awful movie.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

FlavoFibe posted:

and like people have mentioned 12 to the Moon is so sincere it's endearing.

I watched this episode for the first time yesterday, and thought it was an honest attempt at a realistic space travel movie until they reach the moon and all the goofiness starts. So much mockable stuff in that movie, from the plainly visible set lights on the lunar surface to the only Asian member of the crew randomly being able to translate moon runes. But that overly earnest utopian sci-fi tone does make it rather likable.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 26, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Neptune Men's definitely not a favorite of mine. The tone of the show was generally a bit more mean-spirited later on, but that's the first episode I recall seeing that just struck me as weirdly hateful.

The only one of the set I'm sure I haven't seen is Escape 2000. It sounds promising (and not remotely similar to the film I imagined from the title).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I guess I shouldn't be surprised there are issues with Rocketship X-M and Diabolik, as all the other "plot-relevant" episodes have been out for a while now. It's a shame about Rocketship X-M in particular, as that was the first episode I ever saw, and it's still one of my favorites. An official release of that episode would be an insta-buy for me.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

CBJSprague24 posted:

A couple Decembers ago, I couldn't sleep and turned on AMC at 3am to find the movie Santa Claus, a 1959 movie that probably sucked then and sure as poo poo was nightmare fuel in 2014.

Fortunately, I thought of an old show I watched in the early 2000s and figured they'd done it. Sure enough, MST3K riffed it, and it's the only way to watch it without being uncomfortable.

I'm glad to see this is coming back and I'm hoping the classics wind up on Netflix, too.

One of my all-time favorite riffs is just the deranged laughter in response to that mechanical reindeer, because really, how are you supposed to respond to that?

Similarly, Tom Servo's perfectly-timed scream in the "buzz off, kid" scene in Mitchell.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Fezz posted:

I have a soft spot for Moon Zero Two and Untamed Youth. The last four of the season ate probably the best ones.

Women of the Prehistoric Planet is a quality episode. Plus it's essential viewing for longtime fans, as it's the origin of "Hikeeba!" as well as Mike's first appearance (as the Isaac Asimov Doomsday Device).

I remember Robot Monster as being the best episode of the season, but it could be a case of the movie being ridiculous enough to compensate for the weaker riffing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I just (re-?)watched Project Moonbase. It's no better or worse than your average Season 1 episode, but one of those ones that seems worse because it's so mockable that you start counting the missed opportunities.

Best moment is a riff that's almost too dumb for MST3K, but had me laughing like a moron anyway.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I just rewatched Wild Rebels, and that's a really fun one that's even better than I remembered. I love how the running joke in this sort of film is reducing biker gangs to a bunch of adult children with goofy nicknames, and Wild Rebels Cereal is a standout sketch in a season that featured quite a few of their best. Also I forgot they were still figuring out Gypsy's character at this point, and this is probably the first episode where she has more to say than "Richard Basehart" (in a voice considerably different from what Mallon would end up using).

Also, what was up with the biker film kick they were on in Season 2? I'm not complaining as they're all great episodes, but I don't think there was ever another case where they really pursued a specific non-sci-fi genre like they did here.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Oh yeah, he was the arms dealer in The Living Daylights!

Looking at his filmography, it's... actually kind of shameful that that's the only non-MST3K film I've seen that he's in.

DivisionPost posted:

Joe Don Baker had a GREAT small role in Mud as a local big shot looking for revenge against Matthew McConaughey.

Mud is actually pretty drat awesome in general and worth checking out.

Added to the Netflix queue. Thanks!

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 12, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's everyone's favorite short?

I have to go with Last Clear Chance.

Why don't they look Paul....why don't they look?

Catching Trouble, but only with the following Catching Ross skit. It's cathartic.

On its own, it's a toss-up between Mr. B Natural, Here Comes the Circus, and Posture Pals.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Sorry if this is technically off-topic, but I had to share—I recently stumbled upon Just Imagine, and I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that begged so badly for the MST3K treatment. It's a sci-fi comedy musical from 1930 (!) about the far-off year of 1980, and is just the right mix of endearing and painfully bad. Highlights include a baby vending machine, a song in which the main character wishes for a woman just like his grandmother, and (of course) scantily clad women on Mars. I'm actually surprised this isn't a widely-known camp classic—it's an utterly bizarre mix of '50s B Movie and vaudeville revue that shouldn't exist, yet somehow does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eldqx1MChyc

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

SirPhoebos posted:

Holy poo poo, if they're doing Wizards this is going to be The Best Thing Ever :swoon:

If it's an accurate list, my assumption would be it's another serial reedited as films. Not that it doesn't have its mockable moments (because oh boy, it does), but Ralph Bakshi's Wizards is probably too good for MST3K, an unlikely choice for their first animated film, and wouldn't sustain two episodes anyway.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I started watching MST3K for the sketches when I was a kid, but grew more interested in the films as I got older. The first episodes I saw were from Season 2, which I feel was an especially good season for sketches—off the top of my head, there's Funny or Not Funny Floating, Creepy Girl, Mr. Hoover's autopsy, Wild Rebels cereal, and everything from Godzilla vs. Megalon. I even kinda love the infamous "Joey the Lemur" sketch from King Dinosaur. Joel flubs his lines, it's totally incoherent, it airs before the part of the movie it's even referencing, and it's not even a lemur—it's a kinkajou.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Burkion posted:

I got into MST3K because of the Godzilla reviews, though I never got to see those until much later. I had read and heard about them, and being a huge Godzilla fan it got me to look into the show as it was airing on SciFi.

I also got into MST3K style riffing on terrible fanfiction back in the day, when I had naught but dial up and those were easy to find and pass the time with.

So many lovely anime fanfiction, so many

I remember one of these for a really bad piece of interactive fiction, Detective. I never liked MSTs, though—nobody ever got the voices right, and why couldn't they just make fun of something without copying the show? But that's just fanfiction in general, I guess—those who can, don't.

My mom got really into MST3K when it aired on Comedy Central, and I used to stay up late and watch it with her starting sometime in 1993. The first episodes I saw were season 2-3 reruns, and Rocketship-XM was definitely my first. I know I watched Mitchell and The Brain That Wouldn't Die when they first aired, because I remember the Joel/Mike switch clearly, but neither of the movies made any impression on me. Most MST3K movies didn't until I was older. I continued to casually/occasionally watch until it was just reruns on Sci-Fi, and finally became a real MSTie after I discovered BitTorrent in 2004.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Ring of Terror has got to be a contender for least likable cast. I guess the fat guy could be an exception, but he's more pitiable as his whole character can be summed up as: "Haha, he's fat and can't stick to his diet. Look at him eat! And also his girlfriend is fat."

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Paper Kaiju posted:

SAAANDSTOOORM

It's been a long time since I saw either episode, but I remember being a bit disappointed that they built this up as worse than rock climbing! And it really wasn't. Lost Continent was just the worst.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

OldTennisCourt posted:

Going in on this topic, what's everyone list of hardest MST3K episodes to get through? Aside from the very early stuff where you could argue the show was finding it's footing, I've ever watched the KTMA stuff for that reason.

Most Season 1 episodes probably qualify because of the weaker/sparser riffs, but I'm lenient with them because I never saw or even knew about them until after the show ended, and they're just generally interesting to me. That said, everything before, say, The Crawling Hand is particularly bad.

Ring of Terror is one of my favorite episodes, but the strange decision to put the short after the film, as well as the serials just generally being the least interesting shorts, makes me not want to finish it.

I've always felt Cave Dwellers is a dull slog of an episode, and I've never understood why it's such a fan favorite. I tend to feel this way about most episodes where the film is just hard to follow for whatever reason.

And, yeah, Hamlet was maybe a bad episode on a conceptual level. And there just weren't a whole lot of laughs to be wrung out of a dull TV performance of Hamlet.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

OldTennisCourt posted:

Wasn't the major issue with Ring of Terror that the film was absurdly short and that's why they had to cram in a second short at the end to pump up the running time?

It's weird they put it at the end since there was a previous episode with a super short movie where they just had two shorts back to back at the start.

Ring of Terror had only one short, though. They just decided to put the short after the film for some reason, that one time.

Besides the Season 1 episodes where they doubled up on Commando Cody, the only episodes with two shorts were Teenage Caveman, The Unearthly, and The Beast of Yucca Flats.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 23, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The whole movie does feel like a really weird bait & switch. Like the producer wanted a fun action film about a new motorsport craze, the director wanted a gritty revenge film, and they tried to have it both ways. I don't think there's any evidence that something like this happened, but it's the only possible explanation that makes any sense to me.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, the Sidehackers director later made a movie about cockfighting called Supercock.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It's a different dynamic between the host and the bots. Joel's kind of a father figure to the bots, Mike's more of a bro. The tone is a bit less sarcastic and more whimsical with Joel than it is with Mike, though that's very generally speaking and it's not super clear cut. I have a slight preference for the Joel era, though there are great episodes in every season.

The main problem with Season 8-9 is a lack of variety, as the Sci-Fi Channel required that they only riff sci-fi films. This also prevented them from doing a lot of shorts, which were one of the most fun parts of the earlier seasons.

The biggest jump in quality was between Season 1 and 2, so I'd recommend going back to Season 2 and working your way forward. Or skip around, going with whatever films sound most interesting to you. The biker films and "troubled youth" films are some of my favorites, and I'd recommend Wild Rebels or I Accuse My Parents as a good episode to jump into the Joel era with.

Or if you want to stick with sci-fi/horror, try The Unearthly. It's a fun movie, and one of the few episodes where you get two shorts.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 2, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

2DCAT posted:

I wonder if there's beer on the sun.

This, "he's a Cabbage Patch Elvis," and "every frame of this movie looks like somebody's last-known photograph" in a three-way tie for the most perfect MST3K riff.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
So that Facebook conference was completely improvised? I'm really impressed by how well they have the characters' personalities down, and they have great chemistry.

Baron did seem a little subdued compared to the previous Servos, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I know from seeing his standup that he'll be able to pull off the theatrical/hammy side of Servo when it counts. Plus the guy's natural speaking voice just isn't as "big" as Kevin's or Josh's, and it's hard to fault him for that.

Hampton is instantly and completely recognizable as Crow, though. Wow.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Clouseau posted:

Anything that isn't the screechy voice Josh used in the first half dozenish KTMA episodes for Servo is unacceptable.

I just saw this recently on the scrapbook tape, and oh God, I'm glad they had the sense to cut that out. It's like a terrible Kermit the Frog impression. Even though Baron doesn't sound particularly Servo-like to me yet, I'm glad he's not trying too hard to do "a voice" and ending up with something like that.

Also I have to say I was just delighted to see Waverly. He has the same homemade charm as Joel's other creations, and I still remember wanting the show to introduce a new bot back when I was a kid. The Nanites don't count.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 8, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Burkion posted:

The Trump jokes are shockingly more relevant than ever

There's a great one in Wild Rebels, when they're doing a "talk innocently about everything in the background of the scene but the giant Nazi flag" gag.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 13, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It's going to actually be strange to have an entire season of MST3K just readily available to watch in its entirety, a thing which has basically never happened.

I might skip around like I always have, but I feel like I should watch the season in order now that it's no trouble to do so. Regardless, I'm totally psyched to finally be able to watch this when I get off work in a few hours.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I feel like everything falls flat when they cram riffs into every available silence. The action sequences in Reptilicus and the beginning of Cry Wilderness are particularly bad in this respect—they need to slow down and actually let the jokes hit.

Two episodes in, and I'm finding more to like than dislike, though. I feel like Reptilicus was definitely the stronger of the first two episodes, and "Eww, he's purging." "Bulimicus!" gave me the biggest laugh so far. Sometimes it's the little things.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I honestly wonder if it would have been better with Baron as host and Jonah as Servo. At least, that's the impression their voices are giving me so far.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I was trying to pinpoint exactly why I felt Cry Wilderness was kind of a weak episode, and I think it's that—like Manos—it's a special movie that really needed the riffers to react with more anger/stupefaction/despair, and they handled it too casually.

Their reinterpretation of the woman with the weird hair as "The Braid Lady" was a great bit, though. Didn't go overboard mocking one distracting detail, funny even if you didn't recognize it as a Twin Peaks reference.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh my loving god I died at the censorship in Avalanche. That's the kind of gag they never could've done before and it's BRILLIANT. Please give us another season, Netflix. TIA.

When I checked on Netflix it was only at 3.5 stars though. What the gently caress is that bullshit :mad: People hating 'cause it's different? I will say I have a reasonable amount of trouble differentiating between Crow and Servo's voices now, and I don't usually have trouble with that kind of thing.

I don't think Netflix star ratings actually mean anything. It's what it thinks you will rate it based on your previous ratings and viewing history.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

General Dog posted:

Looking forward to the Starcrash episode. Starcrash is a pretty good movie straight-up, shame on anyone who hasn't seen it before this.

It'll be the first movie they've riffed that I've already seen. Looking forward to seeing how they react to robot Yosemite Sam.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I feel like everything falls flat when they're forcefully cramming jokes into every available silence. The action sequences in Reptilicus and the beginning of Cry Wilderness are particularly bad in this respect. They need to slow down a bit and actually let the jokes hit.

Two episodes in and I'm finding more to like than dislike, though. I feel like Reptilicus was the stronger of the first two episodes and "Bulimicus!" gave me the biggest laugh so far. Sometimes it's the little things.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I feel like everything falls flat when they're forcefully cramming jokes into every available silence. The action sequences in Reptilicus and the beginning of Cry Wilderness are particularly bad in this respect. They need to slow down a bit and actually let the jokes hit.

Two episodes in and I'm finding more to like than dislike, though. I feel like Reptilicus was the stronger of the first two episodes and "Bulimicus!" gave me the biggest laugh so far. Sometimes it's the little things.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Edit: This is what I get for trying to post from my PS Vita like 18 hours ago.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 15, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Time Travelers is another one of those wonderful cases where they sum up all the movie's problems in a single riff—I can't remember the exact wording, but it was something like, "At what point did this stop being a movie and start being a promotional video for technology that doesn't exist?" The android-building scene might be my favorite bit I've seen from the new cast so far. But when the film gave them another long dialogue-free space to fill (the music scene), I still felt like they could have cut 1/3 of the jokes and ended up with a better result. Sometimes it feels like they're not letting the audience appreciate the inherent ridiculousness of a scene.

I'm not finished with Avalanche yet, but so far this episode feels the most like classic MST3K in some intangible way—maybe it's just that the jokes aren't coming quite as fast, and there's more of a more relaxed feel. Also I was kinda feeling like Felicia Day as Kinga was my favorite of the new cast before now, and "Our Love is on Wings You Can't See" just confirmed it. I love when MST3K does characterization through song, and this felt like her "Living in Deep 13."

I'm still waiting for a sketch where Tom or Crow is the focus and am kinda concerned that there hasn't been one yet.

Also Steve Franken (Danny in Time Travelers, Henry in Avalanche) is giving me a severe case of "he looks so familiar, but IMDB confirms I haven't seen him in anything else, so who is he reminding me of" syndrome.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 20, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

He kinda reminds me of the pilot from San Francisco International, but his face is neither as large or as troublesome. Still kinda got that same creepy quality though.

I haven't seen that episode yet, so that's not it. It might just be that he has a little bit of a Tim Curry look to him.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Alohaaaa! :classiclol:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Out of the first four episodes, I want to say Avalanche is the best overall, though it still had some weak bits. It exceeded the unwritten limit for both the number of fart jokes and musical numbers in a MST3K episode.

Josephine surviving the avalanche, deliriously playing the piano in the wreckage, succumbing to hypothermia, being revived through CPR, and then dying anyway when her ambulance careens over a cliff and explodes in a massive fireball was a much more satisfying payoff than I expected from a movie that managed to not be exceptionally bad until the final act. I think that left me more awestruck than anything in Cry Wilderness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I'm definitely seeing an overreliance on using movie sign to abruptly end host segments. That was absolutely a thing in the earlier seasons, but it never seemed like the norm. It kinda feels like they can't figure out how to properly end a skit now.

EatinCake posted:

Anyone know they filmed these in the episode order? A lot of the critiques so far have revolved around Reptilicius being the weakest, and them finding their voice & timing later on,

but maybe it's just that the viewer adjusts to this rhythm for the show by episode two, or that the viewer gets more accustomed to the new voices.

I'm curious about this too, but it's not like the bad rhythm is a consistent problem even in Reptilicus. It just feels like they scripted too many different jokes for certain scenes (particularly action scenes with little to no dialogue) and decided to cram them all in there instead of cutting a few and having it feel a bit more natural. And it's also a case of the jokes not playing off each other—like someone put it before, a thing happens, and all three say something different in response, leading directly into the next riffable moment with no pause, and it's kinda exhausting and doesn't give you the chance to even react to what you're watching.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 21, 2017