Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's the best 3DS Sonic game? Everybody talks bad about the Sonic Boom games, Lost World looks terrible, and I already have completely exhausted Sonic Generations on PC. Is the 3DS one a different game, or just the same game with trimmed down content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Stink Terios posted:

All Sonic games on 3DS are poo poo, except the ones which are ports obviously.

Uh, the Boom ones might be ok actually.

OK so I'm supposed to buy Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Barudak posted:

Id unironically buy a game that was nothing but Knuckles hunting levels and then a full two albums worth of new Knuckles Raps.

https://sonicisreal.bandcamp.com/track/pumpkin-hill

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Is the Windows version of Generations decent?

Yeah, it's a fine port. Play it with a controller, obviously.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sonic wouldn't drink because it would make him slower, obviously.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

So where Sonic Mania is attempting to encapsulate everything good in 2D Sonic games Forces is trying to capture everything good in 3D Sonic games.

Good 3D Sonic stuff being butt rock and nothing else.

fishing mode

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hillbilly Sonic!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

My act is in the nude with blue body paint, and you don't want to know where the rings go.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

True widescreen, 60fps, smoothed sprite effects, uncompressed video cutscenes, achievements, unlockable Tails, a choice of both soundtracks.

Sonic 1 & 2 both have similar improvements, and are easily the definitive versions of each game.

The Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 on steam are Taxman versions? Wowza. Buying.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

My Windows 95 and 98 backgrounds were MSPaint drawings of Sonic that I drew by myself.

I spent endless hours in Sonic Jam running around seeing all the concept art and Japan-only trailers and unused ideas.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Secret City Zone

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Sonic is a franchise of cool sounds, like hitting robotnik in 3, sky sanctuary teleporters, bouncing on mushrooms, the cannons twisting in carnival night.
I was thinking about the best sonic sound the other day but i cant remember it now and its driving me mad!!

The ticking noise of the machinery moving back to original position in Sandopolis Zone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Did I just see sonic charge up a spin dash in mid air and then release it automatically when he hit the ground

That's the drop-dash.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Wow. Looks like some time was spent playing Sonic R to tune the special stages. That looks great.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I was fine with Big the Cat's sequences, but I also owned a fishing controller and a couple of the Sega Fishing games both for Saturn and Dreamcast.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Don't stop I'm so close.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sonic Mania & Knuckles!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I don't have a problem with local multiplayer, I have a problem with only local multiplayer. If there are both options then I take back my post.

There's been dozens of local multiplayer only PC games in the last couple years, it's having a huge renaissance. Have your drat friends over.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Kikas posted:

At least we're getting the Sonic 1, yay?

I haven't seen this specific news, what's happening?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

Should have given out CD for free instead

T-mobiles giving everybody free CD next week anyway.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Overbite posted:

I was playing adventure 2 earlier and that game is trash, everything about it is trash. The movement, camera, music, voice acting, level design, game design, all of it is bad and dumb.

As mentioned, the Chao Garden is great.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

360 and PS3 were extremely capable of large game patches, why not distribute that to users after launch?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Super Mario 3D Land was basically Sonic 3D Blast but good.

Maybe it's time for Sonic 3D Blast Mania?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Zelder posted:

You and your wife don't share... single player games?

Maybe his wife's PS4 is in his wife's bedroom.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Oil Ocean's boss loving sucksssss

If you'd just played Sonic the Hedgehog 2 thousands of times in 1993 then you'd be able to beat the oil ocean boss solely by muscle memory on your first attempt, just like I did.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

After seeing Forces is bad I bought a used copy of Unleashed instead because I had never seen or played that.

Which is worse?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Just get a PC copy of Generations and grab the Unleashed Stages mod for it. Ports all stages into Generations complete with a custom made white world stage select and even has the night stages thrown in just because. You get to play the kickin' rad Unleashed stages without the rest of Unleashed.

Is this the one that has the giant GUN truck lurking in the Jungle?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

That's the one. It's seriously a top-notch mod and I can't imagine the work that went into porting stages from a console game to PC, especially with such a high quality and with such smoothness. It's one of those testaments to how the insanity of the Sonic fandom sometimes gives us really awesome poo poo.

I have Generations on PC already, but I think I'm going to get the real Unleashed experience. Maybe the highs will feel higher if they have some lows in between.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

lets hang out posted:

It was cool the way they couldn't figure out how to make a stage that doesn't hit you with instant deaths constantly so they just spewed like 50 extra lives around the stage. Game design.

I remember SA2 having stages kinda like that if you were going for the fastest times. Final rail or whatever?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Keiya posted:

Which Unleashed? There's two totally different games by that name.

I got the 360 one. Apparently the PS3/360 one is worse, and the PS3 is the outright worst of them all?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

a.lo posted:

FINALLY MY BRO GOT OFF

I wish Sonic was my bro.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm a terminally broke-brained Sonic fan who finally picked up a Switch recently. I loved Generations and Mania, how bad is Forces really? It's $10 on sale right now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm the guy who was asking if Forces is worth $10. Should I play Lost World instead? I never did. WiiU or PC?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

One minor-ish thing I really loved about Mania is how good the remixed tracks for original zones sounded. Sharper and clearer without compromising the originals at all, IMHO:

So many things about Mania are better than the old games, but don't feel any different. It actually makes it hard for me to go back to S3&K because Sonic Mania plays how I remember S3&K playing when I was a kid, but the reality is rougher around the edges.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Kurieg posted:

I mean after this happened to you, wouldn't you?

loving hell. I’ve got to read this comic. Is it on any subscription service?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mania 3D blast could be amazing.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

In my eyes Sonic 2s biggest flaw is there aren't three rings placed at the start of deathegg zone so theres zero leeway to make mistakes or learn which parts of the boss sonic kill you snd which don't. Never had the patience as a child to beat even silver sonic, let alone the final boss iteslf. As an adult I never had the motivation to go and beat the game fully either.

The Sonic Jam Sega Saturn ports had rings on Death Egg Zone on "Easy" and I think "Normal" difficulty, which let me as a child get good enough at Sonic 2 that I was able to beat it on a Sega Nomad a couple of times on longer flights.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 22, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Beasteh posted:

idk why metropolis zone felt it needed an entire exta act either its just tedious bullshit running on those big metal nuts and dodging exploding stars

I really enjoyed Metropolis Zone. The music is great, the big nuts are another momentum-based challenge, and it's hard in a way that doesn't involve any bottomless pits.

I found Wing Fortress zone hardest because it's really tough to do as Super Sonic, due to him sliding around more, and it's one big bottomless pit. I'm surprised to see people griping about Aquatic Ruin, because it slides by incredibly quickly unless you're constantly falling down into the water. You can beat the whole pair of levels while barely skimming the top of the water.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

CDSONIC
the hedgehog

-

So I finally got around to beating Sonic Mania, and after running through Green Hill Act 1 like twenty-or-so times, I got all the Chaos Emeralds.

Am I wrong in thinking that Sonic Mania is harder than the classic Sonic games? I know the Encore DLC adds a new campaign that's far harder, but the boss encounters in Sonic Mania seem unforgiving in some instances. I dropped the game for a time after getting a game over in Oil Ocean, and when replaying Studiopolis, I had trouble jumping over rockets in the Act 1 boss. There were probably others, but I'd have to go back and replay it to remember.

I have a hard time getting emeralds in sonic mania, and I even had sonic R on Saturn and was able to get 7 emeralds by aquatic ruin every time I played sonic 2 as a kid.

I'm just bad at chasing eggmans emerald stealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Has anybody actually played the "At the Olympics" games? My 4 year old is going crazy for Sonic, and that looks like it could be a really silly fun time, or it could just be an absolute cash-in slog.