Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
It's in one of the recent IDW comics as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

We could do an all-girls cast 2D game with Amy, Surge, and Tangle. Whisper too if you are creative enough to adapt sniper as an interesting mechanic for speedy platforming. I mean, Fang got away with it.

Now I'm thinking about how cool playable Surge and Tangle would be.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
I don’t miss a lot of the old Archie stuff but I do miss Nicole and Shard. As far as I recall most of what made the Archie characters awesome was the writing that Ian did after he took over so I don’t see why he and Evan can’t recreate that magic. Belle is certainly not it (yet anyway) but reformed robot or computer learning to be human are concepts they can nail if they try and hopefully they’ll get around to it eventually in IDW. I’d love to see it.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Larryb posted:

Much like Forces and Frontiers, Superstars is getting a comic prologue (not sure when it’s supposed to be out though as I can’t find any listings for it):

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1705975683703570507

I think it's online only and spread out over a few weeks:

https://twitter.com/SpiritSonic/status/1706001699834638698

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

acetcx posted:

I think it's online only and spread out over a few weeks:

https://twitter.com/SpiritSonic/status/1706001699834638698

The first 4 pages are up and the art is pretty great. Between this and the animated short I think I might be starting to like Fang now?

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1706338012526006754

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

The last Frontiers update is supposed to drop today. Not sure what time, though.

People seem to think around 5pm pacific 8pm eastern based on this tweet:

https://twitter.com/moq_46/status/1706821393915253240

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

The Colonel posted:

got to the dlc last boss and i'm struggling to beat it because you need to lock onto a specific part of it that the game won't let me manually lock onto so i just have to wiggle around hoping the autolock will lock onto it during a time sensitive segment where you only have a few seconds to do that. cool

I haven't gotten there myself yet but I saw someone complaining about it on reddit and it was suggested that locking on to the first part then using R to dodge helps you lock on to the second part.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
SRB2 Kart is also tons of fun with friends and there are lots of character packs and map packs available, many of which are even good. It's a very good game but probably only worth playing multiplayer - I can't imagine racing against bots being much fun.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Directly from Iizuka, apparently back in August: https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2023/08/02/meet-trip-the-first-new-sonic-character-created-by-naoto-ohshima-in-decades

quote:

"When you look at her, obviously she's covered in armor, and the reason why she's covered in armor in the game is the base of her character is a sungazer lizard in English," Iizuka says. "In Japanese, it's more direct – it's literally 'armored lizard' in Japanese. But the sungazer is that animal that was being referenced for the deign of Trip."

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Someone uploaded a 2 hour YouTube documentary a week ago about SatAM and more specifically about the writer (Ben Hurst) and his attempts to get a 3rd season made. It drags pretty hard at times because the first 60% is mostly just forum posts and emails being read by a pretentious sounding voice actor. The last 40% though is really interesting - it's a synopsis of Hurst's plans for season 3.

The season was going to focus on Nicole and her backstory. She would have been a real person/mobian who had her mind uploaded to a computer, killing her physical body in the process (by Robotnik of course). The plot gets a bit awkward and twists itself up trying to figure out how to get Nicole into Sally's hands and explaining why Nicole doesn't seem to remember who she is. Long story short, she discovers she has mind control powers, concludes that saving the world from Robotnik would result in everyone losing their free will, and engineers a plan where she ends up in Sally's hands and then wipes everyone's memories of her, including herself. The season would then focus on her and Sonic rediscovering her past. Awkwardness aside I think there was a ton of potential there and I would have loved to watch it.

The documentary depicts Nicole using her design from the Archie comics. I looked it up and that design premiered in #151 in July 2005 while Hurst had been planning a 3rd season since the show ended in 1996 up until at least the late 2000's. Presumably he had something in mind for her but the documentary doesn't mention it at all, not even whether she would have been a lynx. I really love her reboot design from the comics and if season 3 had been made that version of her probably wouldn't exist so maybe there's a silver lining to this whole thing.

The last thing I want to mention is that the documentary depicts Hurst as a bit of a failure, a man who struggled to get his dream project off the ground but found himself turned down over and over. I hope that's not the full story and that he had other successes and didn't let this consume him because otherwise it's a pretty sad story.

Check it out if you're interested. I recommend watching at least the "Ben's Conclusion: The Beginning" segment starting around 1h15m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNJpExBkhZk

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Larryb posted:

Apparently there were plans to introduce Knuckles and give Tails a bigger role as well

Yeah they mentioned both those things. They were going to have a whole storyline about Tails growing up and become a real member of the freedom fighters rather than just some kid. And for Knuckles he was going to appear but how much was unclear - they quoted a few different people involved in the show and their answers varied wildly. I think it's mostly accepted that the red eyes that appear at the end of season 2 belong to Naugus but the documentary plays a clip where someone from the show, I forget who, says it was actually Knuckles.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Larryb posted:

Really? I could have sworn it was confirmed a while back that the eyes belonged to Naugus

Ah yeah to be clear Hurst definitely said it was Naugus but I guess not everyone involved in the show was on the same page.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Yeah IDW Sonic is excellent. They're bringing back Surge and Kit in another issue or two and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. They pages they've teased so far show Surge hanging out with Amy but a reformation that sudden doesn't seem likely so I'm sure she's up to no good. I really liked those two the first time around so I think it'll be fun.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
A new Sonic cartoon in that style would own. Such a cool intro.

Infinite also owns and I'm sad he's probably not coming back. What a waste.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Sonic Symphony is a hell of a good time. Something kind of wild about a theater full of people just going absolutely apeshit over these dumbass hedgehogs. I doubt I need to convince anyone here but definitely check it out if it comes to your city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
I feel like moving to UE5 would be a positive step for Sonic team not because of anything the engine can do in particular but because Sonic games really don't need a custom engine and using a premade engine should hopefully mean quicker dev times or less buggy games or both. Or maybe I'm just being optimistic but I remember scratching my head at the emphasis that was placed on the HEDGEHOG ENGINE back in the '06 days and being like wait what is so special about this engine?

I'd play a Heroes remaster, hell I'd play any remaster if I'm being honest, but I'm more interested in the idea of them switching to an off the shelf engine than in Heroes itself.

I wonder if UE5 would have helped the godawful pop in on Frontiers too.