Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/771200439186448384

SO PRESIDENTIAL!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Johnson's gonna surge all over and make this one sticky election.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Donkwich posted:

Is it atheism when you believe you are a god?
Technically it's considered Satanism

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jesus Christ NYT

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

size1one posted:

What does this even mean? Resident Alien cards already have fingerprints and photos on them. Resident aliens are supposed to carry their cards at all times.

edit: resident alien cards are "green cards".

There is no way in hell I'm taking my green card out of my house unless it's to an airport.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nachos posted:

Most people won't watch and the media is guaranteed to cover this as an actual speech with content and not as complete farce

computer parts posted:

Believe it or not, your paranoid cynicism is not reality.

As you were saying?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

:barf:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've seen more Gary Johnson and Jill Stein ads in the wild (as in not shown on a pundit's show) than Trump ads, and I live in Wisconsin.

:wtc:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Even CNN isn't buying that poo poo gently caress nyt.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Of loving course.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gently caress that writer and whatever editor let that go to press. That article is outright fiction.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

neoliberal posted:

The Alt-Right is heavily linked to New Atheism so there's also that. Donald "I've never felt the need to ask God forgiveness" Trump is an Atheist i'm 100% sure.

Most atheists I don't think believe they are God.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The bar is set so low for Trump it's melted into the molten core of the Earth.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Pretty disheartening 'effort' from nyt there, making every caricature and cliche of the lamestream media into a perverse reality.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is this a real campaign ad?

They don't call em lolbertarians without a reason.

Donkwich posted:

The curve that Trump is being graded on is so obnoxious.

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 1, 2016

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Donkwich posted:

He didn't literally put the president of Mexico in a chokehold. What a quality candidate! Meanwhile did you hear that Hillary deleted an email she sent to an aide about how to program her DVR?! #benghazi

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Trump tied his shoes and ate his entire breakfast today.

How Presidential!!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Meanwhile the headlines on other news sites

NBC News: Trump Recommits to Mass Deportation in Fiery Speech
Washington Post: On immigration, Trump talks tough in Arizona, speaks softly in Mexico
CNN: There will be no Amnesty
CBS News: Trump doubles down in immigration speech: "Mexico will pay for wall"
ABC News: Trump Slams 'Open Border Policy' in Long-Awaited Immigration Speech, ANALYSIS: Trump Lands Back Where He Started on Immigration
Huffington Post: DONALD GETS DARKER
Washington Times: Trump still plans to build border wall, Mexico’s Pena Nieto says he won’t pay for it
WSJ: Trump Vows Deportations and Stands by Wall Plan

So only the New York Times and the usual alt right websites are sucking Trump's dick atm.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 1, 2016

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Haha, they already slightly edited it; took out "a stark turnaround from the deportation force and other severe tactics that helped win him the Republican nomination," added a whole new paragraph:

"Yet the juxtaposition of Mr. Trump’s dual performances was so jarring that his true vision and intentions on immigration were hard to discern. He displayed an almost unrecognizable demeanor during his afternoon in Mexico, appearing measured and diplomatic, while hours later he took the stage at his campaign rally and denounced illegal immigrants on the whole as a criminally minded and dangerous group that sows terror in communities and commits murders, rapes and other heinous violence."

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That article is real bad but iirc it was published before Trump's speech tonight

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

gently caress that writer and whatever editor let that go to press. That article is outright fiction.

Hey if they report that this is going to be a 1984 blowout for the next two months who is going to read/watch the news ads?

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shillary posted:

Hey if they report that this is going to be a 1984 blowout for the next two months who is going to read/watch the news ads?

Does this belief by the media have any basis in reality? I still want to watch what happens in this election despite it being one-sided.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/771203356089921537/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

rscott posted:

That article is real bad but iirc it was published before Trump's speech tonight

That one, maybe.

This one?
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/771193422010920960

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh no, it wasn't.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

lol

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

iospace posted:

That one, maybe.

This one?
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/771193422010920960

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh no, it wasn't.

The one talking about the "jarring" change I skimmed over at work but that second one lmao what the gently caress NYT?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

As you were saying?

Yep.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So when does the September thread go up?

Also, Arizona now officially has legal weed and minimum wage on the ballot for November. Both are known to boost democratic turnout. :getin:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
NYT offices right now

"Abort pivot! ABORT PIVOT!!!"

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

I honestly regret posting that specific tweet, that person's being way too forgiving and giving the NYT the benefit of the doubt

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

i am harry posted:

There is no way in hell I'm taking my green card out of my house unless it's to an airport.

The chances you ever have to show it, other than while passing a border, are slim but the law is very clear about it.

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-8289.html

Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act posted:

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Donkwich posted:

Does this belief by the media have any basis in reality? I still want to watch what happens in this election despite it being one-sided.

Obviously this means nothing statistically but I know several people who say they are not really following the election because it looks like "a blowout". I think that a significant number of white people treat politics like a sporting event since no matter what happens it won't really affect them.

size1one posted:

The chances you ever have to show it, other than while passing a border, are slim but the law is very clear about it.

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-8289.html

Well considering the "border" can officially stretch up to 100 miles inland, I would keep it on me.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 1, 2016

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Donkwich posted:

I was wondering why Trump said the Democrats were the "party of opposition". Apparently in his prepared script he was meant to say "party of oppression", but misread the word oppression.

:downsbravo:

Is it atheism when you believe you are a god?

That's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

Kro-Bar posted:

https://twitter.com/Green_Footballs/status/771182652472762368

I loled at this just because of how small Pence's name was. Which made me think: When was the last time Pence has been in the news at all? Did Steve Bannon just lock him in a hotel room somewhere?

I'm glad that guy un-lost his mind :unsmith:

"Trump didn't do anything obviously stupid" actually is news, though? :confused:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Munkeymon posted:

That's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

I'm glad that guy un-lost his mind :unsmith:

"Trump didn't do anything obviously stupid" actually is news, though? :confused:

Except when he lied about not discussing the wall

Also, making Rudy wear a hat that said "Make Mexico Great Again"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pack it in, Clintonailures.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Pack it in, Clintonailures.

Darn she will only get 350 instead of 370 EVs noooooo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol @ NY Times

How do you gently caress up an article on a speech?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Like, those aren't qualities you need to be President. Those are bare minimum requirements for working retail.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Wikkheiser posted:

lol @ NY Times

Easy. When you've got a predetermined narrative and you already decided what the speech will say before it's even happened so you can fit it into said narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wikkheiser posted:

lol @ NY Times

Jeet Heer thinks they may possibly have been given one version of the speech, a more Conwayesque one, and Trump at the last minute switched to a Bannon-style speech. A stretch, yes, but given how dysfunctional the Trump campaign is, I wouldn't put it past them.

• Locked thread