Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://samuelwhitefield.com/1811/four-issues-to-consider-before-you-vote-trump-what-is-really-at-stake

They know enough to know what Trump is saying and doing is wrong, and yet they are still supporting him.

Why? Because we are never compelled by our ideals like we are by our loves. And when you look at Donald Trump through the shared loves of the evangelical Culture, he starts to make perfect sense.

Evangelicals don’t believe in Donald Trump as much as they love Donald Trump and all that Donald Trump represents. Watch these rallies and you will quickly see they have nothing to do with inspiring ideas and hopeful policies; they’re worship services. And standing on the stage before the great throng of longing souls is the manifestation of their common love feeding their hungry hearts with his nonsense.

Holy poo poo

God drat.

quote:

Christians who argue that sometimes it takes a personality like Trumps to “tell it like it is” or “get things done” should remember that in the Bible, every time the Lord uses someone like Trump to “fix” a nation it is a judgment on that nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

potato of destiny posted:

Well, it's the first day of a brand new month, and that means it's time for Trump to burn down his entire campaign again.

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/760267388575113216

I initially read this as 'Trump ate Brooklover first'. Which is honestly pretty plausible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean he's also an rear end in a top hat with terrible opinions and no political spine, on top of the Forrestal. He might be a "war hero" but that doesn't protect him from political criticism nor does it absolve him of the deaths on the Forrestal.

Isn't that one of those chain email legends?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CarterUSM posted:

For most damage control, yes. When there's an existential threat to the ship, though, you're expected to pitch in wherever possible. The Forrestal had most of its flight deck firefighters killed or incapacitated by the bomb explosions. A few other pilots jumped in and either took command of teams or aided firefighting/DC teams to control the fire. McCain helped a few crew toss bombs overboard, and then went to the ready room (note that he wasn't the only pilot to do so, it's not like he sat there all by his lonesome watching the fire on the monitors). The Forrestal fire was a legitimate threat to the seaworthiness of the ship. Between the explosives cooking off and the potential for blast holes in the flight deck to access the hangar deck (with more aircraft and fuel), it was essential to get the fire under control, or lose the ship. I'm not faulting McCain for his actions (and yeah, my initial post was too harsh in tone...I'm a former sailor, and damage control was drilled into me pretty heavily), mostly saying that he followed basic protocol, but certainly could have gone above and beyond in the face of what was happening.

Mind you, I don't know whether those other pilots who chipped in more were quite as injured as McCain. Apparently, he came out of it with some fairly unpleasant burns and shrapnel wounds.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/762695048551071745

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/763148505812705280

:munch:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

Okay. Honest question here. Has Trump made one good decision during the general election? As far as I see it, the "moderate" tones Manaford fed him were the only thing keeping him alive. The only way to run a worse campaign would be to formally endorse Hillary. And even then 35% would vote for him.

Booting out Corey Lewandowski.

For all of ten seconds.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, what's a good way to explain how hilariously awful Breitbart is to people from outside the USA who've never heard of it? I keep thinking 'tabloid-style conspiracy-theorist website with a history of lies and bigotry', but that doesn't really capture the enormity.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the Republican Party in its current state is essentially locked out of the presidency by how disconnected its base have become from the wider electorate. Assuming it doesn't make some sharp readjustments during the Thousand-Year Hillareich, when does this also start applying downticket? As in, how long until they start finding it structurally difficult/impossible to take the Senate? I imagine that the House can hold out for a while thanks to gerrymandering, but the Senate doesn't have that protection.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Well Trump is about to go full Nazi and every single GOPer is going to be tied to it with chains. They will either get torn down by Trump for disowning him or by HRC for not.

Will it work against all of them who are fighting for their seat? Doubtful, but lord I don't envy them. If last night's speech was any indication, Trump's about to go full Jim Crow except this time the police will be a protected class with tanks and machine guns and total immunity from prosecution or discipline in all endeavors

Oh, I can see how this election will go badly for them, but I'm talking long-term structural. Like, when do they start losing on demographics?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Sniper Baboon sounds like a good Metal Gear boss, but I don't see how it makes you long for more nonsensical conspiracy theories exploiting an attack four years ago or the cherry picked Bible passages that conservatives use to justify their awfulness.

Nanomachines, son.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/769168756539088896

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lotka Volterra posted:

Loling @ "African-American leaders of many different countries"

She's talking naturalised first-generation immigrants. It's a reasonable thing to say for anyone who isn't on as rabidly anti-immigrant platform as Team Trump.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CelestialScribe posted:

It is legitimately amazing people in this thread don't want to face the reality that most of the National and state polls show a swing towards Trump.

It isn't likely. But it is entirely possible he wins. The polling shows this. Why is this so hard to accept?

Clinton has 269 electoral votes already in the bag. The only thing this swing is showing is that the election has potentially moved from 'Trump will be utterly pulverised' to 'Trump will be defeated'. He has pretty much no path to victory, and is still lagging well behind in the polls.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

The big difference is that the Republicans then start whipping out lighters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Why would I want to educate myself about something I don't care about? As long as it's not in my face, it's not an issue. What would I gain out of devoting time and energy to this task?

Because you react in incredibly stupid and unpleasant ways when someone has the temerity to be openly religious where you can see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

I don't see how saying, "I don't like a thing" is incredibly stupid and unpleasant.

It becomes it when you can't provide a good reason for not liking a thing (stupid) and will nevertheless keep going on about your dislike for it ad nauseam (unpleasant).

• Locked thread