Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycophobia
May 7, 2008
What are my best options for putting roms on my NES, SNES and Genesis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Thank you.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I love the way SMRPG and the DKCs look. DKC3 in particular is beautiful, esp. the backgrounds

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I wanna play mario rpg again

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nullsmack posted:

To be honest though, the processing power in most of the early consoles was pretty gimped. Doom required a special coprocessing chip to even be possible on the SNES. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the N64 Doom though, what about that?

It's a completely different game

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I might be moving in the next month and even though there are no stairs or elevation changes of any kind I might not bother trying to bring my bigass Trinitron with me. I might just get a PVM later. gently caress moving that huge thing. Moving it one ROOM over nearly killed us.

leaving behind my 36" trinitron on my last move was a sad moment indeed...but i lived upstairs and that fucker was like 300+ lbs so gently caress that lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I posted about this in some imp zone thread but basically the contiguous nature of the SMW world, where you can go back and forth and take shortcuts through Star Road and stuff, made a really big impression on me as a kid, whereas SMB3 was just eight separate maps you go through in sequence. It seems like a small thing but being able to walk through Bowser's lair by finding a secret in Donut Land blew my mind when I was little. SMW is just chock full of all sorts of cool secret poo poo. I also like cape Mario better than raccoon Mario. Not to mention better graphics, sound, etc, but I will say SMW does lack some of the level variety of SMB3. Overall, SMW wins out for me easy, though I could probably go the rest of my life without playing either of them again lol.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training posted:

SMB2 USA isn't a Mario game .

It's reasonable to consider it a spin off at this point, I think. It's a quality, Nintendo-made game with Mario characters in it. However, it is definitely not the sequel to SMB.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

That means Super Mario Sunshine isn't a Mario game either :colbert:

...?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i dont get the mario sunshine thing. someone pls explain it to me

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Kid Fenris posted:

Super Mario World has more secrets, but I think the hidden things in Super Mario Bros. 3 are neater, or at least they were back in the day. World's extra stages and alternate routes seem formalized by the time you've figured out that red dots denote levels with multiple exits. SMB3's secrets are weird and unexpected: the coin ship, the Hammer Suit, that part of 1-3 where you duck into the background and it feels like you're breaking into the game to find a warp whistle. That hits harder, in my opinion.

that's the thing: these secrets are random; they just pop up like its a board game. whereas smw's secrets belong to the world you're traveling in. basically in the long run it contributes more to an immersive game world to be told that you can explore and find hidden routes than it is to just randomly collect all the coins in 1-4 and have a bonus game pop up.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

It was originally an internal demo made by an experimental team and had no affiliation with Mario. It was just a fun game where a dude would use water to wash off inks and stuff. Then everybody played all the demos, decided that was the most fun demo, and decided to make it a Mario game.

That was pretty early in development, but still. Its a silly no true scotsman argument.

Dude just wait 5 minutes so I can post already

oh ok my bad. i thought you were talking poo poo about mario sunshine. i didnt know that, cool.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

al-azad posted:

I want to add that SMW is 9.95 (minus 5th of a point because it has like 5 tilesets). SMB3 is just perfect 10 therefor better.

It's ostensibly Super Mario 64, a game with one of the most diverse move sets in any 3D platformer, and they bolt on a new mode of transportation just for the hell of it. The best levels are when you lose the pack. Everything else is too big and uninteresting with weird floating platforms and impossible architecture (I mean, more so than your average Mario game) that exists only to justify FLUDD.

Mario Galaxy is the fixed Sunshine.

what the gently caress is this poo poo. oh whoops i forgot i was in Games lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

I remember having a lot of fun with Sunset Riders on SNES. Never played the Genesis version.

that's cuz genesis version SUCKS!!!! also wtf I was literally about to start playing Sunset Riders on my SNES. solo of course.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

What do you think is the best Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game on NES, and in general?

I go with Manhattan Project, but the arcade ports on NES and SNES are cool too! Hyperstone Heist on Genesis looks pretty cool, haven't played that one.

Manhattan Project is the best NES Turtles game, and Turtles in Time is the best overall. Hyperstone Heist is cool because it's basically a compilation of the two arcade games (i.e. what Turtles II for the NES and Turtles in Time were based off of).

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
god Sunset Riders is hard. gently caress chief wigwam

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

fishmech posted:

I'm just going to guess at what you want to ask, and the answer is probably: "you downloaded a very old romset from before the format changed and are trying to use it with modern mame" or "you downloaded a modern mame romset and you're trying to use it with older mames, especially the ones that get used on things like the raspberry pi because they ran things faster but less accurately, and are thus good for slow devices."

The formats changed somewhere around MAME version 0.140 and the current releases are 0.187. For getting an old romset to match your old versions, look for something like "mame 0.130 roms" and for new romsets for the newer versions, anything from like 0.175 up should run fine, and obviously the latest and easiest to find will be the current 1.87 (1.85 for the Software List CHDs which are the old MESS CHDs).

and what if you guessed wrong bitch lol. wouldnt you feels stupid.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

dishwasherlove posted:

I know I'm a decade late but I only got around to playing Outrun 2 on my Xbox and man is that a great game. Loving all the SEGA games that ended up on this console.

I semi-recently bought Outrun 2 as well, and yes, it owns. I've been able to clear the A and B routes so far but I haven't yet picked it back up.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Altered Beast is a good game

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

It's a game, but let's not say things we can't take back.

(I appreciate it, but I'd hardly call it good in 2017)

It was fine in 2015 (I think) when I picked it up and got the 1CC in a couple of days. I'm not calling it great or anything but it was a fun little game. One day I'll sit down and properly play the arcade version cuz I know that's definitely way better.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Speaking of Sega arcade games, I've been playing Alien Syndrome the past couple of days and gently caress is it hard. The fact you can only shoot in eight directions with no strafing makes enemies and projectiles super dangerous, and the timer is a bitch too.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Is there some kind of detailed ranking of Terriers I should know about?

E: Also, is there some kind of detailed ranking of Tetrises I should know about?

1. TGM3
2. TGM2
3. TGM

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

Everyone forgets about Tetrisphere smh

tetris in name only, much like Attack. though i did learn from the latest sdgq that it has a really good soundtrack

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

tetrisphere owns but yeah it's really not actually tetris

which is good because it's better

you dont know anything

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I just wanna say that M2's PS4 port of Battle Garegga is perfect and I can't recommend it highly enough. More than worth the trouble of getting a Japanese PSN account and a 5000 yen PSN card from Play-Asia.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I remember being in awe of Spirits Within when it came out but I don't really remember anything about it now. A good movie, still...?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

It wasn't a good movie then. I saw the opening matinée and left disturbed at what an incoherent mess it was.

Spirits Within has a bad case of anime plotting and stinks of Japanese producers controlling the international release. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen (I've seen a lot of terrible films) but it was memorable as a train wreck.

to be fair I was like twelve when I saw it in theaters

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I just saw the cgi and was like "god drat. gently caress"

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
You don't have to call me a loving idiot you know....

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
holy poo poo

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I seem to recall John Romero saying it was how fast he could personally get through the levels

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Went to the last retro game shop I knew of that was somewhat local to me and found this gem:

It was a bit higher than I was considering at 190, but comparable complete sets on eBay are showing for upwards of $200+.

This is probably the only game I would consider buying complete due to personal reasons, but I am super jazzed to find it!

cool

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Just got my new Vectrex Multicart 3.0 from http://www.vectrexmulti.com and

Yeah that's the good poo poo.

cool

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Or just buy a regular TV like a person who doesn't have brain problems

i need scanlines on my old games.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
granted you can simulate reasonable looking scanlines with emulators nowadays

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

repiv posted:

CRT shaders really start to shine with a 4K display, and 4K TVs are pretty cheap now. Why settle for CRT sizes that actually existed when you can simulate a giant one? :haw:

the eventual availability of high refresh rate 4k monitors with gsync/freesync ease my anxiety that working CRT monitors are eventually going to become really hard to find at a good price

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

cough Jet Set Radio Future cough Panzer Dragoon Orta cough Breakdown cough Ninja Gaiden Black cough MechAssault cough Crimson Skies cough Otogi 2 cough

(the Buffy the Vampire Slayer brawler is also Pretty Good but that game actually runs better on a 360 for whatever reason)

OutRun 2. And probably OutRun 2006 but I've never played it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

God, Sim City 3000 has the best soundtrack of any game ever.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

God, Sim City 3000 has the best soundtrack of any game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVYs-VB55U

• Locked thread