Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I hope this isn't a huge :can: for this thread but I expect it's probably the best place to ask and the OP says it's ok to talk about emulation here: If I'm using an emulator for playing a game on a 1080p LCD display, what (if anything) can I do to reconcile the fact that the setup isn't capable of displaying things that were meant to look a certain way on old CRT televisions?

Take for example an SNES game I'm playing called Dragon View, which uses the SNES hi-res mode to show vertical bars of fog to give a semi-transparency effect when the system is connected to blurry rear end TVs with blurry rear end composite cables. Normally I'm fine using raw output instead of filters of any kind, but this is really hard to look at:

I know the answer is "shaders and/or filters," and that's fine. In fact there's one that's specifically for blending SNES hi-res mode displays that I've been using:

The problem with that is that it blends all hi-res mode displays and this happens :gonk::

That leads me to the problem I'm running into with this setup. Obviously the above only works as intended for certain SNES games and if I want to see the same effect in the hundreds of Genesis games, for example, that make far more use of the technique I'll have to pick something else. I've also tried dithers but they have a lot of unintended effects (e.g. blending the EXP bar into a solid color in Dragon View). I don't really want to have to pick and choose different shaders depending on what game/system I'm playing, especially considering RetroArch's interface isn't really the greatest for flipping through directories all the time.

I guess the question I have is: Is there a single, catch-all way to do this for all games and systems: One that dithers or blends things properly without those unintended consequences? I'm guessing the answer is 'No' but I thought I would ask because I know the emulation and retro gaming scenes are full of crazy people that are dedicated to preserving the authentic experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ptarmigans posted:

A few pages back, My Lovely Horse posted a link to some posts by KozmoNaut going pretty in-depth into CRT style filters.

Cool, I shot Koz a PM. Thanks :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Instant Sunrise posted:

welp. just pulled the trigger on a Super Gameboy 2.

Now to track down a copy of DK94.

A few posts late on this but I have to ask: Is there a way to properly emulate SGB games? Some games, especially DK '94 and Kirby's Dream Land 2, just aren't the same without it.

I know a lot of GB emulators give you the palettes and borders, but that's about all they can do. Google tells me there's some way to get bsnes to do it with command line shenanigans but I've never had any success with that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've only really ever played Gunstar Heroes and Mischief Makers. Gunstar is super fun and I prefer it over Contra and Mischief Makers is one of my favorite games ever.

I heard Wario World is really good too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

Wario World is one of my least favorite treasure games. It just plays poorly in general.

Yeah, I never played it myself so it was just hearsay to me.

Now that I think about it I've also played Sin and Punishment and really didn't like it (:can:). It was the awful controls, mostly, but I played the Wii VC version with Classic and GameCube controllers. Not sure how it is on N64.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Turbinosamente posted:

Sure but just think of all the possibilities.

http://www.i-mockery.com/search-results.php?cx=014535092109957586225%3Ax3k4bfcumts&cof=FORID%3A9&q=wilford+brimley&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&sa=Search

The video game chat thread was only so helpful, so maybe you guys can give me a hand. I'm looking for some good rear end ROM hacks. I don't want anything too hard, I just want a new experience with vanilla difficulties. Any popular game would do really but I would prefer hacks of the SNES, GBA or NES top hits (just not Super Metroid, I have days of hack backlogs for that one).

I gave Parallel Worlds (Zelda: A Link to the Past) a try and it was stupid and awful so clearly reviews on romhacking.net isn't going to be very helpful for me in finding the good ones.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nate RFB posted:

I've heard Brave New World FFVI is pretty solid, and I've always wanted to try that one Castlevania 2 hack (Redacted?) that cleans up the translation, makes it so that the towns people say actual hints rather than BS, and make the text crawl and day/night transitions almost instant.

I keep forgetting about BNW, so thanks for reminding me. I'll check out that CV2 hack as well. For now I'm playing a LttP hack called PuzzleDude's Quest.

Edit: Nevermind looks like PuzzleDude's Quest doesn't work without an emulator that's a million years old and dead. Moving on to Goddess of Wisdom!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 20, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ballz posted:

I have a few recommendations!

Metroid - Rogue Dawn
Just came out about a week ago, and it's the most extensive hack of the original Metroid ever produced. New graphics, entirely new music (which is actually really good), a save feature, much larger world to explore, etc. It can get kind of NES Hard as you get further along, though, so it might not be for you (counterpoint: suck it up). I'm playing through it now, it's great.

Castlevania II Re-translation
I think this is the hack that Nate RFB was talking about. All new translation with about a half dozen patch options to customize your experience.

Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past DX
It's still A Link to the Past, just now with some bug fixes and new bells and whistles attached, especially if you take advantage of MSU1 and get the CD-quality soundtrack

Hallow's End
It's a hack of Earthbound with an all-new original story. If you want more Earthbound, this might do the trick.

Edit:

Mappers are basically custom chips that came in the original game cartridge, as opposed to hardware on the console itself. A lot of mapper hacks are done just for repro cart purposes -- using more common/cheaper mappers to cut down on cost. More extensive rom hacks might change the mapper to take advantage of new capabilities that were not available in the original game (the above mentioned Metroid Rogue Dawn does this). If it's just a mapper change and nothing else, it's probably not worth your time.

Rogue Dawn looks extremely my poo poo. Thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heran Bago posted:

He's not taking the libretro approach but is coding all these low level emulator cores himself!?

Here's the thing about byuu: he's insane.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Caitlin posted:

I like byuu. He's very nice and also kinda insane with the coding but in a way I respect. :toot:

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't meant to be pejorative :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zamujasa posted:

Especially since you can play ROMs and ISOs legally! You just have to delete them after 24 hours. :v:

Excuse me but you're allowed to keep them as long as you want if you own the original cartridge and system :colbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heran Bago posted:

Or is byuu coming up with a new ROM standard that works on individual electrons and the amount of time it takes for them to get across different PCB revisions?

I know this is a joke but I think I remember reading a byuu blog post saying that he'll dabble in circuit-accuracy in his emulator projects (as opposed to cycle-accuracy, as higan is now) in the near future.

My electrical engineer girlfriend tried to explain the difference to me and it mostly went over my head, but the gist is something about emulating every individual transistor flip in the system/ROM or something. byuu is a bit insane.

Also the USPS debacle just sucks so loving much. Goddamn.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

d0s posted:

I understand the hate for copier headers, but the extensions were just naming conventions that people stuck with and so you had nearly every SNES ROM with one of those extensions, header or not. You had tons of hardware and software that expected those extensions so you would need one romset for use with byuu's thing and one for nearly everything else, just because he didn't like the fact that the extensions referenced copiers

e:

.smc comes from Super Magicom :eng101:

Were these extensions even functionally different at all? I'm sure I remember simply renaming .smc to .sfc and having it work just fine back in the bsnes days. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

I just finished Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. Who wants to hear what I thought?

Tough poo poo, I'm telling you anyway.

I thought I was alone in my hate for Portrait. It's my least favorite of the SotN-likes (second to Circle of the Moon) and especially dull when compared to the near-perfection that the other DS games managed to hit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you think Portrait is an awkward mismash of classic and IGA-style CV then you're not going to like Ecclesia much at all.

The difference is Ecclesia owns it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Silhouette posted:

I bought a used XBox about 10 years ago, and the HDD contained nothing but Madden, NCAA Football and Halo saves, and ripped Van Halen songs.

I remember renting games like Bomberman 64 and Mischief Makers to find files that had all the gold cards and gems and poo poo. I lived in a very small town at the time but never found out who this Nintendo 64 savant was (presumably it was the same person). It will always be a mystery...

Wouldn't be surprised if the fucker platinumed Blast Corpse too, but that game used a Game Pak.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

Maybe it was just a kid with a GameShark. :v:

Actually I did know a couple of guys with GameSharks! The legend is a farce!! :argh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Quiet Feet posted:

Played through both Smartball and Porky Pig's Hunted Holiday this weekend and now love both.

Smartball was called Jelly Boy in Japan and I'm not sure why they changed the name. It's a platformer where you play as a blue blob that looks similar to the slimes from Dragon Warrior. Apparently you're a dude who gets turned into a blob after his sister is kidnapped by an eeeevil wizard. The Japanese version had towns (and cut scenes?) in between the levels to explain what was going on. No real plot to speak of for the SNES version but its cute as all hell. Controls are a little slippery, which kinda fits. This one was developed by Game Freak who I'm sure went on to make nothing of note ever again.

The moon level is adorable. Leave the bunnies alone, you don't have to hurt them to get to the end. :saddowns:. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg86-XRjUE8&t=353s

Bare man rear end in the ice level if that's your thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg86-XRjUE8&t=584s

My cousin used to own Smartball. I love that game and I thought the moon level was really cool with that Mode 7 rotation thing going on. Most of the oddball platformers of that era tried to copy Mario and Sonic, but this one seems to have taken some inspiration from Kirby instead.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did someone say Alfred the Chicken!?

So... who else immediately heard this in their heads when they read this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdr38Z-FdCY

Edit: This is my first exposure to that phone message. What the gently caress :psyduck:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

What I don't get is the hate for DKC3. I'll just chalk it up to fatigue and hate for the main characters.

It's definitely the weakest entry, but it doesn't really deserve the hate. There are the things you mentioned and the whole banana bird runabout. A big problem a lot of people have is that there are so many gimmicks (though I had a lot of fun solving the Koin puzzles) and the soundtrack quality is a bit of a step back from the previous two. I find the platforming a bit more sluggish too.

The game looks fantastic though.

Apparently it was given to Rare's B-team so their best can work on N64 stuff. They should have at least kept Wise around :argh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

If you want DKC3 with David Wise music, play the GBA version.

Wait, he did that? What on earth happened?

E: Actually looks like he was involved in the SNES original's soundtrack too, along with Eveline Fischer. I just can't seem to find info on what tracks he actually did. I just assumed it wasn't him because it was just kind of uninspired compared to DKC2. Then again, Fischer did compose some really good tracks in DKC1 so it's not like she's bad or anything.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 21, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

beepstreet posted:

I've always wondered how Dave Wise and the others decided on the Vangelis and Kitaro kind of styles for the soundtrack. Obviously they were looking to go big epic adventure but holy poo poo.

Wise is/was an actual jazz musician IIRC.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

MrWillsauce posted:

mak0rz on point as usual

This being my "usual" is news to me v:v:v

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

When it came time to port DKC3 to the GBA, they couldn't rely on the same process to convert the music from the original game like they did with DKC1 and 2, and it was going to take longer to make the conversion process work than it would for them to just make new music, so the decision was made to rescore DKC3 and David Wise did that. The soundtrack to the GBA version is completely different.

I knew it was rewritten, I just didn't know Wise was behind it. The music is... much worse and not the kind of stellar quality I expect from David Wise. Aside from his Aquatic Ambiance remix the soundtrack is overall pretty bad. Chances are having to work with the GBA sound hardware (which was notoriously awful) is partly to blame.

Shadow Hog posted:

I don't know which I'd say is better overall, just that this is my favorite track and it wouldn't have occurred had they not completely redone the soundtracks, so some good came of it all.

My favorite part of this is the segue into Sweet Home Alabama.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadow Hog posted:

On the other hand, I must confess some amount of envy that the Europeans were enjoying computers as capable for gaming as the C64 and the Amiga, while PC gaming in the US during the same time period was basically choppy EGA 16-color (or worse, choppy CGA 4-color) until VGA finally became widely adopted (with some exceptions, like smooth EGA 16-color in some of id's pre-Wolfenstein 3D games).

Though at least we had the sense to not try and use one-button joysticks for literally every function in our games, I guess.

My dad and uncle used to run a Radio Shack so one day he came home with a Tandy 1000 HX that I pretty much only used to play old edutainment games. It was only really recently I learned, thanks to people like LGR and DOS Nostalgia, that it was once considered a top of the line gaming PC and now I'm kicking myself for not realizing it back then.

Then again, this was in the early 90's when that computer was considered "Quite Old," but I wouldn't really have anything else to play PC games on for a while anyway.

Oh well, I had a lot of fun playing Treasure Mountain and Reader Rabbit I guess :v:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 27, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fastbilly1 posted:

Treasure Mountain is awesome. The rest of Super Solvers and Super Seekers line is equally good. Midnight Rescue and Gizmos and Gadgets still hold up, and Challenge of the Ancient Empires is surprisingly difficult, approaching it as an adult. Though it is far more of a platformer than an educational experience. Last time I checked, Archeologist dont have laserbeam hats and sneakers with rockets in them.

Yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic when I said I had a lot of fun playing it. I didn't have any of the other games from that series, though. Our schools always had Gizmos and Gadgets and that was just so good.

d0s posted:

I really like the design of the 1000HX and wish more PCs were released in that style of keyboard integrated case. If someone released a case like that now I'd definitely build a secondary low end PC with one

e: by that I mean a normal case with it's own design, not a case designed to look like a C64 or whateverthefuck which is kinda weird to me

Yeah that thing was pretty cool and we had a two-tiered desk that fit it perfectly: computer on the lower table, monitor and printer on top. Then we got our Windows 95 machine with the vertical tower and didn't really have a convenient place to put it :argh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Rufus posted:

Honestly though I should probably put Frankenstein away and just install DOSBOX onto the Win 98 rig.

Why? Doesn't Win 98 have DOS?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well in that case why use a Win98 machine for DOSbox?

Wouldn't it run like crap on an old computer? Would FreeDOS work better?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The novelty of having a bad port of what's frequently considered one of the greatest games of all time probably factors into it too. Doom is one of the most ported games in existence. Collecting ports of it has become kind of a Thing.

As for how many there are: sometimes games just have limited production runs for some reason or another regardless of their reception or popularity, like Symphony of the Night or (famously) Suikoden 2, which are universally considered great.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

Huh, didn't realize SotN was rare, especially since it had a Greatest Hits release, not to mention digital availability on PS3, 360 and Xbox One, as well as the enhanced new dub version on the also-digitally-available Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. Just goes to show that value determinations can be all sorts of weird.

I was referring specifically to the original PlayStation disc. I actually didn't realize it had a Great Hits release, I just remembered reading somewhere that the game is pretty rare. Maybe I'm thinking of the Saturn version?

I know there's several other ports but nobody is going to "collect" a digital version on eBay.

fishmech posted:

The Doom and Doom 2 ports for the GBA are actually among the best non-computer ports of the game, especially before you get the 360/PS3 ports several years later.

In fact, GBA Doom 2 was the only port of the full Doom 2 to a console until 2005's Doom III release for the original Xbox, which included a port of Doom 2. The PlayStation Doom title included most of Doom 2's levels, but in cut down versions with some levels replaced entirely. The only modification the levels get in Doom 2 for GBA is that two levels get split up into two parts, and one other one has some walls added to reduce sightlines.

Right, forgot about this. Good to know!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 28, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

Both are fairly expensive on eBay regardless, the black label seems to be like $70US and the GH is like $45US, which is quite a bit more than I would have expected. The Saturn version being rare would make sense, since it was relatively printed in much smaller numbers by virtue of being a Saturn game, and had exclusive (until the secret PSP version) extra content.

Which reminds me I'm still salty that the XBLA version didn't have any of the Saturn port bonus content :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xawnFEnlk4E

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah, so, I get why the SNES and 3DO ports would be popular. The GBA ports weren't bad though, but there's not much novel to them aside from "not being terrible". Doom allegedly has additional deathmatch levels I guess.

Maybe it's just a Doom thing.

Yeah, that was my bad. I didn't realize they were actually good and I forgot Doom 2 GBA was the first ever complete non-PC port of it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lets not forget the best reason for collecting SNES Doom

Its a RED cartridge man! (Yeah I know there's others)

I know a guy from back home who flipped out at his dad and took a drill to his SNES Doom cartridge and ruined it. I can't remember the whole story, but he was a weird kid. That's my SNES Doom cartridge story.

I have fond memories of Maximum Carnage and its hair metal soundtrack.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kelp Plankton posted:

i think this was his answer

it took him over 90 hours to complete, because you have to learn how to play the piano to finish the entire game

but if you already know how to play piano maybe it's a piece of cake

I've actually never heard of this game, The Mexican Runner, nor NESmania before now but I'm absolutely delighted that someone learned the piano as a consequence of playing through every NES game. I would never have expected it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Monopthalmus posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XmDKPDsaZEo

Check out this condensed version of him beating it if you're interested. Even comes with its own massive keyboard controller.

Yeah I saw that. It's pretty great!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ofecks posted:

From my own personal experience:

Battletoads
Ninja Gaiden
Adventure Island 1
Dragon Quest 2
Ghosts N Goblins

Dragon Quest 2 is pretty easy once you realize the trick to get infinite money

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ofecks posted:

I meant the endgame. I should have specified. It's quite brutal. In a genre that normally lets you brute force content by character training, even if you spend 200 hours grinding to the level caps AND use glitches to get equipment AND get a lucky drop from a specific monster AND win the lottery for consumables, there's still a decent chance the final boss will destroy you. That's also assuming you actually make it there with all 3 characters alive and with enough MP.

I'll have to take your word for it. I played through most of the game without any notable issue but burned out at the final dungeon. I never actually finished it :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jadius posted:

Steel Battalion

Ah Steel Battalion :allears: My brother in law has that game and I had fun playing what little I did. Unfortunately I'm six and a half feet tall and need a goddamn bar stool to play it comfortably.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

worthless. posted:

What's up fellow tall person. I can't comfortably play Initial D at the arcade

Edit: I didn't ask for the new page.

I loved playing the drums on Rock Band. My leg muscles not so much.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/839838589575970816

1.19 gigabyte text file :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

I'm fairly sure it'd be trivial programming-wise to remove a lot of cruft from that list.

That said, even a thousand-fold reduction in size to a few megabytes can still be needle-in-a-haystack.

It logs every instruction at 7 million per second. I'd imagine a lot of those lines are null/idle entries, yeah.

• Locked thread