Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I can't read the thread on my machine, is there a PAL version?

It'll be released in eight months. Possibly quietly cancelled in seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Why would you willingly give up the Most Blinging Wii controller? :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Joke's on you, Nintendo. I bought your Smash Bros Gamecube Controller for the WiiU, and you know what I'm gonna use it for?

Gamecube games :smuggo:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cosmicjim posted:

Nah. I told her what it was when she pulled it up. I'm debating on whether or not I should make her play it next or something else.

Get her to play Monkey Island next, duh! :v:

Also I finished Geist. It's not bad, but it is a hard 6/10. The general possession/impersonation stuff is fun, especially mid/late game when you see Raimi start getting creative with scaring people to make them possessable beyond mere jump scares, but the late-game combat suuucks. The Demon Bosses have far too much health in general, and at the endgame you start fighting other spirits. Those motherfuckers possess you and try to kill you by walking you off a cliff, into gunfire, etc. The only way to get them out is to mash A, and even that requires mashing the poo poo out of the button for a good 5-10 seconds to fill the meter and evict them from your body.

It's worth a look, but you really gotta want to try it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A.o.D. posted:

why do they look like lovely Gobots?

Someone at Nintendo presumably thought whatever it originally was wouldn't sell without the Metroid Prime name slapped over it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Instant Sunrise posted:

And they're selling Metroid II on the 3DS eShop I'm pretty sure.

Yup, it's on the 3DS eShop alright.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schremp Howard posted:

This topic has probably been beaten to death, but is there a reason no third party has been able to make component cables for the Gamecube? I play most of the games on my Wii which is hooked up via component, but I would love to get the Gameboy Player to look even better.

The component video processor is part of the cable, which no-one's been able to replicate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The guy doing the voice sounds like he's going to end the recording with a hammer-click and a gunshot to escape the pain :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wa27 posted:

Sorry but I totally stole your idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wDVCzuwlVk

You forgot to add the hammer-click and gunshot at the end :colbert:

That is a thing of beauty. Sad, sad depressing beauty :magical:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flyboi posted:

But it is!

Not only that but you can even run Saturn games from the vcd card slot!

The PAR 4-in-1 is the best example of the card slot execution because so long as it is inserted it always trumps booting the cd which is how it did the region free booting.

There's actually a cart China POCd to load games from the ext slot but it was abandoned ages ago. There's vids and code of it loading langrisser and I think it was called saroo but it has been a while.

Just out of curiosity, does this mean an SD/USB Drive for a Saturn would be as easy as plug-and-play into the card slot now that the encryption has been broken on it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shyduck posted:

Picked up Mega Man Legends 2 this weekend. It's slightly :retrogames: to begin with but I felt I got a very fair deal, and the disc, case and manual are immaculate. Now I have all the MM PS1 US releases. In fact it completes most of the "major" stuff, now I'm just down to Battle Network, etc.
I started collecting again because I wanted a Saturn again, which as a kid I traded to Funcoland for an N64 which I never got the same enjoyment out of. This was like 4-5 years ago, so luckily I got all the games I wanted before the Saturn market got stupid.

MML2 is one of my favourite games :allears:. If you haven't played before, take the time to thoroughly explore each set of Ruins before heading on to the next story location. Most have a secondary weapon development part in them somewhere, often in a crack in the wall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quest For Glory II posted:

i cant afford retro games right now so i'm just adding more and more games to my amazon wishlist

by retro i mean ps2 generation cause... im not really a collector i just wanna play the games and ps2 games are at least still sub-$20 for the most part.

my wishlist has grown to

henry hatsworth (DS), shining force EXA (PS2), nightshade (PS2), chaos legion (PS2), crimson sea 2 (PS2, this is on PSN tho..), nanobreaker (PS2), musashi samurai legend (PS2), under the skin (PS2), last story (Wii), metal saga (PS2), skygunner (PS2), gungrave/overdose (PS2), wild arms 4/5 (PS2), ape escape 2/3 (PS2), DQ Swords (Wii), dawn of mana (PS2), radiata stories (PS2), 4 heroes of light (DS), radiant historia (DS), bujingai the forsaken city (PS2)

so many obscure action games on ps2 i've missed out on.

also my magazine of choice was PC Gamer with the not-offensive-at-all coconut monkey

For what it's worth, Ape Escape 2's also on PS4 as a PS2 Classic. GG Overdose (but not the original) is a PS2 Classic on the PS3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's definitely still emulation. A lot of the "enhancements" that were reported for some of the early PS2-on-PS4 games were due to inaccurate emulation that just happened to be beneficial to those particular games.

The additional purchase cost is probably because they had to rebuild the emulated version for PS4 really. The cross-buy versions for PS1 and PSN games worked on PS3/PSP/Vita is because it was one standardized version across all three, so it's no big deal to just let people have'em.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gio posted:

Yeah I have someone offering me $40 for Ultima IV b/c the game likely doesn't play, but now I'm pretty positive he's trying to low ball me if what you guys are saying is true.

Pretty sure I'm going to relist these. They're priced high enough now that if they sell I'm not upset. Not sure if I should list it as an auction or buy-it-now. Auctions are loving risky, particularly for something this old and niche, and I don't want to pay for a reserve price.

If you have the full set of feelies and everything but the game working, price it to something reasonably high minus the cost of a basic/disc-only copy of the game. Those will still command high prices regardless of whether the actual game works.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turbinosamente posted:

Oooh oooh I can play this game too! With out looking at any of my lists or shelves I have Dark Cloud 1, Okage, Evolution Worlds, Last Story, Inuyasha and the Secret of the Cursed Mask, Chrono Trigger DS, Glory of Heracles, Legend of the River King, and Legend of the Ghost Lion. And that doesn't include the 3ds RPGS I've got sitting around too.

I just axed Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and though not an RPG all my Warioland games from the collection because even though they are good games and loved by many they didn't click with me for whatever reason. They just didn't give me that gut feeling of wanting to play more of them.

Both of you, go play The Last Story this instant! :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zand posted:

lets talk about mame cabs again

Wow, you can even see it screaming out for an end to its suffering :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Beyond Good and Evil was made free for Xbox One and i haden't played it since it came out. Replaying it again, i forgot that there was a magical time where getting an Ubisoft game meant you were getting something cool and unique. Aspects of that time are still there in bits and pieces int the Ubisoft of nowadays but you don't get anything that just oozes charm and personality like BGaE does.

When's the sequel Ubisoft? Get us another Rayman game while you're at it :(

They keep saying it exists, no really, we promise, even though Michael Ancel keeps getting pushed to other projects.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mace Bacon posted:

I've got some ads for Michael Klim shilling the Gold Game Boy Pocket (which I had!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlYM5XOQEeA

And the gold N64 controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1clExwASZKs

A gold N64 controller will be mine, someday :shepspends:. When I get around to buying one. And then I just need to pray for a Starlight Gold Gamecube controller that doesn't cost triple-digits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Vidiot posted:

I can't believe somebody in the retro gaming megathread doesn't have SMB 1-1 so thoroughly burned into their brain that they don't know that there are two blocks under those question blocks.

Maybe they've just never not used the warp pipe?

I AM THE TOILET posted:

He is a FILTHY PRETENDER and must be brought before the tribunal!

*swipe pan to a darkened room with cloaked figures standing on daises surrounding Kid Fenris*

*a starving man in a loincloth scampers into the room and gently presents a classic NES controller to him*

The Red Eye: If you are indeed a retro gamer... provide us the Konami code.

Kid Fenris: Uh... up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right...

*long pause*

Kid Fenris: ..... A?

*a trap door swings open and swallows him, goofy yell*

People!

People!

We are not savages! We are here to educate, not intimidate. Now, help me book a movie theater and purchase medical-grade restraints so we can force them to watch World 1-1 repeatedly until it's properly memorized. And don't forget the eye drops like last time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doc Morbid posted:

I always knew Dave Lang was fluent in over six million forms of communication.

This is a thing of beauty and let no-one tell you otherwise. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RichterIX posted:

Are multisystem component cables as good as the OEM ones? I lost my PS2 set and the easiest way to get some in a hurry is to buy the PS3/360/Wii multisystem cables of various brands that are floating around at game stores here.

The ones for PS3 work for PS2, they have the exact same socket type.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, if I remember correctly the PS1 Mega Men and SotN got through primarily due to Capcom and Konami also making big-ticket 3D games for the system and Sony not wanting to piss them off.

Capcom yielded to the no-2D thing at one point though, it's why Mega Man Legends exists at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

I should stress Legends is legit one of my favorite games. I always come back to it every two or three years and forget just enough to be pleasantly surprised by it all over again.

Legends is a little iffy for me because of the controls, but you will have to pry my copy of Legends 2 from my cold dead hands. After digging up my grave to get at it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's not Mischief Makers! That's not Mischief Makers at all! :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fleedar posted:

The bivert/backlight mod was a lot of fun so I did another. I want one in every color now.

I... I think your gameboy might have turned evil there.. :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'm more surprised that he's from a half-decent suburb like Epping. The crazy motherfuckers usually come from Geelong or Sunshine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, I'm actually managing to have some fun with P.N.03, despite some fascinatingly tanky controls.

This game also has the silliest jump animation I've seen in a while.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lowen SoDium posted:

Wii style"light guns" have never felt as good to me as a CRT scan based light gun.

Wii-style are more like moving a mouse cursor and clicking rather than actually aiming and hitting a target. It works fine with how it's generally used (a big honking crosshair on screen), but it's not quite as satisfying as shooting a falling leaf or UFO before your friend does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, the whole pack-in game thing is what made it weird to me. I'd try to find some way to weight that into the "sales" numbers.

I'd say it was more the copies that came with a wiimote moving sales, personally. For the price of a new Wiimote a set of minigames alongside one is pretty good value.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
P.N.03's ending is goddamn magical :allears:.

"So I'm a clone?"

"Yup".

"...Are you a clone?"

"I dunno, maybe :shrug:"

"Huh... I'm going home, peace out other Vanessa".

It's also not that bad a game. The controls are clunky as poo poo, but they're at least functional and the boss fights are actually pretty good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrLonghair posted:

There's a bunch of PAL PS2 green-poo poo going on as part of macrovision piracy protection, but I only ever had that trigger trying to play a DVD on my Commodore monitor via RGB Scart.

I'm wrapping up JRPGs on the PS3 and going to dump mine toward the end of the month (need all that extra PSVR money), is there any additional value in an original BLES00372 copy of Valkyria Chronicles?

Doubtful. Especially when the PS4 Europa Edition is all of $40AU.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rirse posted:

Think it got deleted because he hated how the old one was and tried to redo it and it never happened.

No, he definitely started it. I think it petered out around the prison escape, maybe?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

It amazes how such a successful and beloved company can consistently produce some of the stupidest and most poorly thought out writing in the entire industry.

The new expansion pack, Legion, is actually pretty fun. That said, there are some stupid designs and concepts in the new gameplay that people have been telling Blizzard about for months in the beta versions, and it's only now that they're starting to clean it up because now it's several million players saying it and not just the entire closed-testing Beta group.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireMrshlBill posted:

Those games must be it because I didn't play those games back in the day and all 3 of my controllers are still 100%, I'm sure there are other games as well. Heck, I think my wife said they used to play Mario Party growing up and the gold N64 controller she brought to the marriage is 100% as well.

You should really marry someone for more than their sweet blinging retro videogame controllers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

falz posted:

So I decided to go through some of my video game hording clutter and an currently testing a few dozen N64 carts that I'd never touched before. Dear lord this thing has the least appealing graphics/graphical style.

The only game I'd ever played on here was Zelda OOT and I remember really enjoying it, I'm almost afraid to put it in again now. Did the Gamecube re-release disc improve on anything or is it just an emulated N64?

If you absolutely gotta have a less-ugly version of OoT, get the 3DS version. It's superior to the original in every way, save maybe unless you want to do framerate-dependent bug-exploiting speedruns or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caitlin posted:

lol "bougies"

also, I loathe the character design in FFIX. they all look like they have encephalitis.

It's not hard to see why it is the way it is at least. FFIX is has always openly been a homage to the very early Final Fantasies, and the character models are just NES/SNES character sprites in 3D to go with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlphaKretin posted:

The first entry on that list is loving The 3rd Birthday. Do not listen to this list.

E: Sorry didn't mean to be a dick, it just needs to be emphasised that do not play The 3rd Birthday.

It also lists Valkyria Chronicles II. If you like VC1, do not play VC2. VC3's okay though, apparently.

Trails in the Sky is well worth getting on PSP, and you can get TiTS: Second Chapter off of the PSN store.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A PS2. Stick a small LCD monitor in/on the driver-side dashboard for the video output, and wire the guts of a steering wheel controller into the steering column and floor pedals. Then race. :unsmigghh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I once got all ornery about the Guitar Vader song in JSR being the most obnoxious thing in that soundtrack (even moreso than Dragula), made even more obnoxious by its repetition during the "chase the dudes and tag them using the same button as something else" on the Dreamcast... but then I wound up on Gamers.txt in helldump and decided that nobody really cared about what I disliked.

That's because the tedious noise pollution that is Birthday Cake exists in JSRF. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Armored Core has its fans, but I've never gotten into them for whatever reason. So let's throw that out there: if I was to play one Armored Core game, which one is worth trying?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hm..probably AC3 or AC For Answer. For Answer tends to be a bit faster.

My personal favorite is Nexus, but it made some changes to how heat management or something worked that made it a bit difficult, I can't recall. Also I wish more AC games other than Silent Line had first person modes.

Last Raven is also worth a look on PS2. At the very least seconding that Armored Core: Nexus is fantastic and well worth a play, just make sure you get a copy that has both discs in it because the second disc with an entire game's worth of "bonus" content is just tucked in a paper sleeve inside the case.

• Locked thread