Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Or even just look for garage sales on the weekends, you'll see one at nearly any sale with electronic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Yoshi yoshi yoshi.

Yoshi.

Woah woah woah, slow down I'm only up to level 2 give me a minute.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Gotta Protectors loving owns.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

Adventure Island :getin:

You are an evil person.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm not sure if this counts as breaking but there's that bonus disc that came with the Arc the Lad collection with a chess minigame on it. There's a code you can input that will let you look at the file system of PS1 games. It'll let you do weird poo poo like watching cutscenes in certain games (I vaguely remember some shenanigans with Blasto), or letting you skip to random areas in games like Suikoden.

Also of Working Designs, if you put in the making of disc from one of the Lunar games, and wait for the video to load up, and THEN put in the second disc of Xenogears, it causes it to play the ending sequence for that game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I got to unwrap a sealed Saturn game yesterday. :)

For some reason the store I found it in put it's own wrapping over the original seal.

Just Virtua Racing but whatever it was cheap.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Ah I don't remember having to do any of that in Metroid 2 on the gameboy. I haven't tried the remake yet

It wasn't in there originally, and fwiw it didn't have a name until Fusion and only if you did a very specific sequence break as I recall.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I never knew about the wall jump back in the day and would always bomb jump out of that long rear end vertical corridor.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you're not just playing RBI Baseball on the NES then what are you doing with your life?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

The criteria included MLB license, or else I'd have said Baseball Stars straight off. I never played Griffey because I never owned a SNES.

I missed this, or else I would have mentioned that the MLB got the rights to RBI Baseball in 2014 and deliberately made a game that is barely more complicated to control than the NES game. I think most people hate it but I played 2014 and 2015 and they seemed alright to me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh hell yeah, I need to try this out. I wish there was a physical release, though. =[

There is for the 2016 version, which I haven't tried.

https://www.amazon.com/RBI-Baseball-2016-Xbox-One/dp/B01CR385LS

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

"All thirty MLB ballparks"? Was there some sort of rights issue?

I'll be honest and say I know fuckall about baseball and only followed it to this extent because of the NES game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The thing that turned me off repros is getting a bunch of shoddy ones where the label falls off and then the cart doesn't fit together right. For like $60+ that can gently caress right off.

I don't even really have a flashcart because I'll just emulate the stuff I don't have nostalgia for since I'll hardly notice anyway.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They also have much better versions on other systems, they're kind of just a template on the SNES.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, at least feed the beast a Vortex cart or something.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It 8-bit does what Nintendon't.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I'm trying to beat Mega Man 2 for the first time since I was... 6?

I want to go back in time to when Quick Man's stage was being designed and kick everybody involved in it square in the loving balls.

You should go back in time to when they were designing Mega Man X5 and kick them in the balls for re-using that level first, and then you can go back for MM2. You know how much of a bigger pain in the rear end it is when you can control the screen so that the lasers all spawn somewhat differently each time AND they expect you to dash around it all?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

Banned for selling them? Is that an issue?

Banned for taking people's money and not delivering stuff, memory cards being only a part of it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

Tales of Phantasia (GBA).... is it worth playing before others in the series? I am playing Hearts R now on my Vita and really enjoying it, so deciding which one to play next. I have Symphonia Chronicles on the PS3 as well as the Xillia and Xillia 2, plus Zestiria on the PS4 (caught a lot of deals in recent months). Been trying to track down Tales of the Abyss on PS2 and/or 3DS for cheap.

If you already have it don't worry about it. It's not as bad as people say you're just sort of spoiled for choice on versions of Phantasia and other translations (the only one I'd say not to play is the SNES thing since it does the Near Far thing for techs that Star Ocean kept for the whole series and the fantranslation is kind of trashy). I actually like how the GBA version sort of replicates what you'd expect in a cheap SNES era translation.

Just don't expect any version of it to be nearly as actiony as the later games, Phantasia deliberately places you as the one physical character for 75% of the game so most of it comes down to guarding your squishy mages. Also spells pause the game for their animations and it will get annoying.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

d0s posted:

Both of these are me, but for some reason I make an exception for Final Fantasy (up to 9) and other Square stuff like CT/CC or Xenogears. Why that is I really don't know but there is something present in Square games from around the start of the SNES era to the end of the PSX era that makes it possible for me to enjoy turn based RPG gameplay and a focus on story/cutscenes that would have me shutting games by other devs off in the first hour.

It's because they were paced better.

FFVII in the span of 20-30 minutes sets up an exciting infiltration and escape sequence while slightly peppering in commentary on a greater plot and motivations on most of the characters present and by the time stuff actually slows down after the explosion there's a ton of things to be interested about.

Xenogears opens with you in a mech while the town is on fire and segues into you living in that town so you're suddenly interested in how poo poo is going to play out.

Chrono Trigger throws you into the past with time travel shenanigans in 10 minutes.

Most of the ones from that time period aren't actually as long as people tend to remember either, like the first really long RPG I remember playing was Tales of Symphonia.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

e: Pretty excited for Dragon Quest 7 tomorrow, the game I had zero time for on Playstation.

That's a blessing in disguise, because original DQ7 flies right in the face of my pacing argument, clocking in about an hour and half before you get into the first drat fight.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

Check out ChoroQ on PS2 while you're at it. It's a Car-PG wakka wakka

Don't forget Road Trip, where you win races to become car president of the world.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah I don't want to have to keep a spreadsheet or journal.

You don't have to and the people that do don't tend to understand that difficulty curves of a lot of JRPGs are based on you not mastering or caring about mastery of them and tend to call all of them easy.

Why yes if I steal all four items from every boss monster in FFIX I can have superpowered equipment and an overpowered attack in a game that is easy enough that you can just stall for time in boss battles to steal 50 times.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Is MagicEngine the one that had a ten minute timer?

My first time playing through Dracula X was on an emulator with a ten minute timer and also save states, which made the timer pointless. Annoying sure, but pointless.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

So I've been listening to a lot of old retronauts episodes and now I want to go back and play some old Playstation games.

What is the best play to PS1 games on a HDTV? I have a slim PS2 and the smaller, redesigned PS1. I was thinking about just getting a component cable for the PS2.

All PS3s play PS1 games, and you can buy most of the expensive poo poo digitally without breaking the bank.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

My copy of Shatterhand is an old rental copy, so it's got the gutted out box in the proprietary case, as well as a little info sheet on the inside and a giant sticker barcode on the front of the cartridge. It was way too charming to remove.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Man I'm just happy when people keep the right aspect ratio. Drives me nuts to see old games stretched.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jogcon was dumb, long live the Negcon.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

d0s posted:

I wonder if there's ever going to be another good RR game again, last one was 7 on PS3 and that was a barely-updaded remake of 6 with worse music. I seriously think the RIIIIDGE RAAAACER meme killed that series, Sony probably thought people were making GBS threads on the game itself and not the idiotic way it was announced

If that's the case, they clearly only need to announce Rage Racer 2.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

d0s posted:

the music tho :cry: it's like europe's only frame of reference for 80's game music is C64 warbles

I didn't actually watch it (well, try to watch it) until you said this and jesus christ.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Not a Children posted:

I'm in the market for some SNES repro carts. Are there any reliable sources for good-quality carts that hold a save well?

NOT gamereproductions.com, for one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

d0s posted:

It's a dumb nitpick but that interface just doesn't look "nintendo-ish" enough for me, like it's very obvious it's some other dudes making it. There's nothing I can really point my finger to, it just looks like some random emulator frontend or something instead of A Nintendo Product™

It's the icons on the top that look like they came from some ancient failed adventure game. Make me think of Mario is Missing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It... it still happens guys don't give up on your search.

Are you supposed to pair it with the composite cables?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

People tend to forget that up until FFX that VIII was the outlier and everything else was impish little sprites.

And I think getting away from that permanently has more to do with motion capturing actors being easier than hand animating movement since you can't get away with jerky movement anymore.

Like I think FFIX was what they were going for with VII and yeah VII looks worse because it was their first 3D thing but I don't think it was ever supposed to be a realistic take on 3D or whatever.

Zaphod42 posted:

FF8 was on PS1, are you talking about a tech demo or something?

They put a tech demo for a cutscene from 8 running on a PS2, much like how they put a tech demo for the opening of 7 on PS3.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The world map you're right, feels like they were shooting for FFIX. But then the battle screen suddenly got really impressively realistic for its time. The battle screen models aren't that different from the general FF8 models, its just in FF8 they're the same models for battle and overworld. That strong contrast between popeye-arms on one screen and realistic-proportions on another is the real issue, you can't ignore how bad the models look because the game itself constantly shows you better ones.

You're talking about a series that, in the 2D games, would have a monster just be some random sprite on the overworld but would be this giant Amano art in battle.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kid Fenris posted:

But Square could've put Final Fantasy VII on the Super NES, as shown in an early mock-up at Unseen64. I wonder how that would've gone over in America.

Huh, I'm pretty sure a piece of that concept art is just an area in Kingdom Hearts, that's cool.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

univbee posted:

The Final Fantasy Legend games (there are three of them) are a good choice, along with Final Fantasy Adventure if you don't have a Vita to play the remastered version with. FFL2 got a Japan-only DS remake, there's a slightly-screwy-but-serviceable English patch for it. I don't believe FFL1 and 3 have been remade on anything. As a bonus all the FFL games do the whole "permanently choose classes at the start thing" so there's some replayability potential if that's your thing. All four of those games are strictly monochrome-only on Game Boy.

FFL3 got a remake as well on DS, it just came out super late iirc.

Absolutely play the Vita remake of Final Fantasy Adventure though, that game is lovely. I mean the GB version is cool too but yeah.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you're playing Dragon Quest games on GB, then you need to play Dragon Quest/Warrior Monsters.

Those also have remakes elsewhere (on PS1 and again on 3DS) but those aren't in English.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As long as I still get a sick baseline when I pause the game I'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you were disappointed at not traditional Mana games this is another reminder that they remade Final Fantasy Adventure as Adventures of Mana for smartphones and thankfully Vita and it is fantastic.

• Locked thread