Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wow, that's awesome. Is there any way to play Super Game Boy games on an emulator? I really want to play Donkey Kong 94 portably with the border and colors and better sound effects.

I've used VBA-M for this with good results:

ETA:

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I also like Donkey Kong 3.
TICK a ta TICK, ta TICK ta TICK

If I told you how many things I did to the rhythm of Donkey Kong rapping beehives, you wouldn't believe me.

quote:

Popeye, however is a stinker.
You're normally so right about things. Popeye is great. It's a game you can play for a long time if you're skilled but never feel entirely safe with.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Popeye belongs right next to Kangaroo on the junkheap of arcade history.

You're right about Kangaroo, and that brings up an entire category of games both dear to my heart and incredibly frustrating: games I really want to like, but can't.

Everything about Kangaroo is absolutely charming to me. The cabinet art, the bright graphics, the sound, the cute concept... charming is the best word I've got for it, but the game is absolutely no fun to play. I've lost track of how many times I've fired it up in MAME thinking "this is going to be the time that Kangaroo clicks for me" and nope.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

al-azad posted:

No, emulation is great. It's clone consoles that are bad.

I use MagicEngine. Only downside is they intentionally designed it not to read CDs off your hard drive but that's what virtual cd drives are for.

e: Also it's not free but I didn't mind donating to them at all for how user friendly the emulator is.

That thing is still around and they're still accepting money for it?

And being intentionally designed not to read disc images is kind of the opposite of user friendly, and it's loving goofy that people who accept money for a god damned emulator are, out of the other sides of their mouths, probably hobbling its usefulness as some goofy anti-piracy posture.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Captain Rufus posted:

I mean folks know and have said you are all Tsundere and poo poo for me, but I go for Misatos not Asukas. A woman whose idea of breakfast is cup ramen and beer? Alleyway fucks after barfing? NOW THAT'S A LADY!

goddamn it, dude, I legit like you for your genuine enthusiasm and earnest point of view, but come on

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wa27 posted:

This popped up on Youtube: It's a Parker Bros ad for their Atari games from 1982, that aired in theaters before ET. This guy has been uploading all sorts of theater commercials from high-def scans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0i0UKrazow

Is that the first instance of a video game commercial using pre-rendered images to simulate gameplay?

Here's a neat ad for Intellivision that also played in theaters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KvlBGmyyb0

It looks like it uses animated recreations of gameplay footage, but the footage adheres really closely to the actual games.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Kins posted:

the old Iwata Asks interviews

Did Nintendo or an ambitious archivist ever put all of these in one easy-to-read (and/or, ideally, download for offline reading) place? I remember after he passed away wanting to sit down and binge-read through them, but I never got around to it.

Also I am super duper happy to see people loving on Bird Week, City Connection, and Choro-Q. The car in City Connection was an actual little car called the Honda City and it was adorable

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I hadn't seen this before: a former Tengen programmer uploaded video of the prototypes of Peter Pack-Rat and Marble Madness for the PC-Engine, and I'm dying. That hardware and the Atari System 1 look like they'd have been a match made in heaven.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

Reading this has made me curious: is there a single positive thing to come out of Twin Galaxies or associating with them in the past decade?

What happens in someone's life to make them this invested in being the world's greatest player of Home Alone for the NES?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Scurge Hive is a great little game

You can play it on GBA or DS, and you should, since apparently no one else did

Well, bye

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Looking into that Lunar/Popful Mail improvement patch (none of my dumps of Popful Mail work with the patch, alas) got me combing through the Romhacking site again, and I came across a bunch listed as "Improvement" that change the mapper of old NES games. I don't know anything about mappers, hardware, or anything like that, but I am interested in playing improved versions of old games - what is the utility of these hacks, and should I bother?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Animal print underwear is loving tacky.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

The first "platformer maker for people who just want to fiddle" package that I can think of dates to about 1991, though I wouldn't be shocked if someone made one earlier. I'd expect that to be the kind of thing to get ported to the Amiga...

And now I'm thinking about The Adventure Construction Set. A cursory search did not find an archive of ACS games and now I am disappointed.

Spinnaker's Adventure Creator was a lot of fun back in the day:

I'd be extremely surprised if any user-made games for this utility are out there.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bad day posted:

It's incredibly sad that modern branding is so effective you literally have ads in your dreams.

I thought everyone that's ever collected anything with a passion has had the "finding it at a garage sale/in a store/etc" sort of dream at least once.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

What the gently caress? I made that guess specifically so that I wouldn't win! The universe has a perverse sense of humor.

I actually have a bit of free time this weekend for the first time in a long while. I think I might try playing a Famicom Dragon Quest game. Now for some reason I don't have DQ1, but should I go for 2, 3, or 4?

Late on this, but whaaaaaaaat? I didn't realize anyone disliked Alien 3. That's such a solid game! I've only played it on the SNES, but still - it's better than it has any right to be.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I touched it for maybe five minutes years ago and never again but the Jambo Safari game for Wii isn't really a port of the arcade game, is it? I don't even think it was made by Sega.

I never played the arcade game, but a few years ago, I fired up the Wii version on a whim and could not put it down for like two straight days, and then I never touched it again. It's worth a try!

Also, that Quartet cab is gorgeous, and that game has The Best Music.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

And let's not forget the work of heartbreaking genius that is Taboo: The Sixth Sense.

I love Taboo and I wish it had actually come in that black velvet wrapping or pouch like they had originally announced it would. (And it goes without saying that the music is super super good.)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

HAT FETISH posted:

lol that someone thought Xenophobe was a good name for a game. Lookin forward to Xenophobe 2: Racist

That game is great, and that name is pretty perfect for a mostly-goofy game in which a pack of underpowered dorks go up against the dollar-store version of the xenomorphs from the Alien franchise.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Counterpoint: Xenophobe is a bad game in any of its incarnations with an especially terrible control scheme.

I think it's super fun once you learn the controls and what you're supposed to do. They were being a bit ambitious with the context-sensitive buttons, but it really allows you to do a lot of neat stuff. There's definitely a hell of a learning curve, but I think it's worth it - plus, it's got some of the best examples of the house style of Bally Midway graphics/music at that time.

I'm sure playing it in MAME has shaped my appreciation for it, since I'm able to reconfigure the inputs in a way that feels more intuitive. I don't think killing every xeno is possible beyond, like, the first and maybe second bases while playing solo, so my strategy is to Not Get Hurt, find the self-destruct code, and haul rear end to the computer room and just blow up the base.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

lol wtf is "Adventure in the Park"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kid Fenris posted:

This is the best celebrity video-game tweet since Asuka from the WWE talked about her complete sets of Virtual Boy and Nintendo 64DD games.

what

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

In Training posted:

I started playing Digital Devil Saga, pretty wicked so far. Some of the oddest music Ive heard in a SMT game, stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZcHrpX3eQ kinda clashes with the visual tone of the locations but whatever. Its still rad

the level up music in that game is one of my favorite tracks out of any game ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYS8QTjnfg

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

fishmech posted:

In NES and later games become recognizable environments and characters and enemies. Graphics are at a least a bare bar for functioning. Games can be legit good now without also being unusual for their system.

This applies to the Intellivision, I think. A lot of Inty games hold up extremely well, if you take the time to read the manuals, but I get the controller being an insurmountable barrier to entry.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

This is the reason why I don't like games like that. I was born in '87 so by the time I was gaming most arcade games I encountered were the kinds with a campaign and an ending.

I just look at games like that in the same way I do putting on a record I really like. You put it on because you like the way it makes you feel. You let it run its course and if you're still in the mood for it, you play it again.

There's a certain thrill when you're playing an score-based/arcade-style game to knowing that the game you're playing is (or is about to be) your personal best, too, but I'm not one of those 1cc kinda people.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Novasol posted:

tennis hell

Similarly, I recently took a dip into World Court Tennis for the TG-16, because I love the RPG mode in Final Lap Twin and this game has one, too, but my god. Either I'm bad at this particular incarnation of video game tennis (which is possible) or there's something I'm missing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

That's Leon on Twitter goofing around.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

What game is this?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

The second word there appears to be "Cross", so narrowing it down to arcade games released before 2000/01/01, it's one of these:

Battle Cross (1982)
Karian Cross (1996)
Stadium Cross (1992)
Super Cross II (1986)
Thunder Cross (1988)
Thunder Cross II (1991)
Metro-Cross (1985)

...though right off the bat I'd discount it being Thunder Cross or its sequel, because who the hell plays a shmup with a steering wheel? I'm not too familiar with the others - Metro-Cross being the only other one I've heard of, but that doesn't really involve a car.

Yeah, that was my thought, too, only I can't think of / couldn't find any racing games of that vintage with "cross" as the second word. The illustration looks kind of like the one on the marquee from Super Bug, but it's not a perfect match. Then again, this photo is from 1980s Romania.

azurite posted:

I don't know, but is that... carpet on top of the machine?

It looks kinda like tinsel.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

It would actually be a Swedish arcade game that's more or less undocumented except for a couple of flyers.

Son of a bitch, that absolutely is it! Holy wow.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

al-azad posted:

smh if you don't jerk the controller in the direction you're jumping to get extra distance.

to this god damned day and it's so ingrained in me that I don't even think to be embarrassed about it (which could probably be a subtitle for this thread)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Star Man posted:

Random question: who actually liked Dragon's Lair? Was it just the spectacle of the game being a fully animated cartoon that you "played" or did people just loving dread playing?

I did. I had it on the Sega CD and played it so obsessively that I was eventually able to finish it without dying. I know now that (a) what I played wasn't exactly true to the arcade and (b) it's not really a good game, per se, but it was a different time, and I liked the time I spent with it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hexwren posted:

but seriously, why would you code in a checkbox for "show available games" and not have it on by default?

My only guess is that people setting it up for couch or cabinet use might grab full romsets by default (which is what I imagine everyone does), but would rather hand-pick what games appear in the menu so that they don't have to scroll past 18,000 mahjong games (or other games that their control schemes don't support).

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tokimeki Crush no Keith Courage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GutBomb posted:

Bloody Wolf for TG16 is pretty fun. I love that life energy upgrades are called "muscle emphasis tablets". The music is especially good. It's worth buying cheap or sticking it on an everdrive.

T H E P A I N I S G O N E

• Locked thread