Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

If anyone is looking for decent-condition original Nintendo cart connectors for the NES, this guy is selling them for $6 each shipped. I ordered a few recently, and they all loaded up a game on the first try, although they required pushing the tray down of course. I re-bent the pins a bit more and they worked without having to push the tray down: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331701651693?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

In any case, way better than most of the aftermarket cart connectors floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Wanted to say thanks for the EPROM chips, just installed the translated Lagrange Point:

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Djarum posted:

Since I'll have my SD2SNES sometime today finally, what are the best MSU-1 games I should get?

Road Blaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YuWwoeAxCk

The other stuff is really up to personal taste, I'd check out youtube videos of updated MSU-1 soundtracks and see if you prefer them. Were there any other MSU-1 only game projects besides Road Blaster?

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 5, 2016

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

URL grey tea posted:

Think of all of the money you'll save not buying carts.

*continues buying carts*

Well sure, there's still the special chip SNES carts that aren't supported like SMRPG, Yoshi's Island, and the Kirby games, unreleased ones like Starfox 2, translations like Marvelous and.. :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

beergod posted:

But what is lacking about them? That's what interests me.

The OP of this thread posted:

This is a thread about old console and arcade video games. Some computer talk happens here but if you want to get deep into that this thread is probably a better place for it. "Retro games" at the moment are generally accepted to be games that predate the 360/PS3 era, but nobody's going to care if you want to tell us about an awesome PS3 game you found.

A lot of people in this hobby like playing games on their original hardware for various reasons, whether it's accuracy, nostalgia, or simply the fun of tinkering with old electronics. Some people don't really care about all that and stick to emulation, which for most systems is good enough these days. Most of the people in this thread tend to use real hardware and you'll see a lot of discussion about it, don't let it discourage you if you only use emulators, you're still playing the same games.

There are various clone systems out there, licensed or unlicensed copies of old consoles. They all have accuracy issues. If you care enough to ask if you should get a clone, you probably shouldn't get a clone.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

d0s posted:

also I guarantee you that every person with a bunch of real hardware is also emulating like crazy because it's an amazing way to learn about new stuff to play, and when you're constantly switching back and forth the drawbacks of emulation become really clear. it's not really something of "oh I'm above emulation so I don't touch it", I like the real thing because I use emulation so much

Exactly, I was sold on real hardware after years of emulation and not having to fiddle with filters, controller inputs, clock speed, etc. Its nice to have something just work instead of spending more time trying to fix the sound than playing the game. Plus a lot of people have at least one old console sitting in storage and its a good opportunity to set it up again.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 9, 2016

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Looks like game-tech is going to be selling 40 UltraHDMI kits for the N64 on his site at 7pm EST today, one kit per person. Hopefully the site stays up longer than during the initial Hi-Def NES launch.

https://www.game-tech.us/product/ultrahdmi-upgrade-kit-1080p-for-your-n64/

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

I assume a whole big batch came in for a lot of folks, because yeah those long dormant feelers I had placed out looking for UltraHDMI news suddenly came alive. Here's hoping all goes well.

From what I've heard, Marshall's been working on replacing kits from a bad batch for a while, then fulfilling batches of pre-orders from a couple modding sites. This is the first batch in almost a year that is being sold to the general public.

Managed to snag one, at least it didn't take an hour like last time.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

LegoMan posted:

I bought an SNES off craigslist for $60 hoping to relive the glory days of college. My first trip to a retro gaming shop had Super Metroid for 125 dollars. I'm really not interested in creating a wall of games to stare at, I'm just a tired dad who wants to get high in his shed and play Super Nintendo when the kids go to bed. Is there a definitive list of ROMs the SD2SNES cart won't play so I don't waste 200 bux on it before realizing it won't play the games I want to play?

*edit* ok I found this as usual seconds after I post.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips#List_of_Super_NES_games_that_use_enhancement_chips

https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

As far as the games most people care about :

Star Fox / Star Fox 2
Yoshi’s Island
Kirby’s Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Street Fighter Alpha 2 / Zero 2

OK yeah no one needs to play Alpha 2 on the SNES

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Also the reason to pick up an SD2SNES is to play MSU-1 games like Road Blaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YuWwoeAxCk

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Charles Get-Out posted:

I know it's super subjective, to me Link to the Past just doesn't sound 'right' and I bet I'd feel the same way if FF6's opera was in something other than sound chip warbles.

I think my brain just constantly double-takes at how different the music is from when I was playing these as a kid.

The real issue for me is that the replacement tracks feel off as "game music". Some of the tracks have long intros or lead-ins and you have to wait a good 10-15 seconds before the main theme/melody starts, where normally it would start immediately. Or, in the case of some orchestral tracks, they feel slower or less active than the stock music regardless of the higher quality recording. I think you would need to remix and edit the replacement soundtracks significantly to get them to fit as well as the originals.

For a general quality upgrade for SNES audio, there's always the optical audio board mod (stock SNES audio only, doesn't work with MSU-1 tracks): https://store.retrofixes.com/products/snes-spdif-digital-audio-upgrade-board

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 15, 2016

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

So Aliexpress is selling replacement GBA-SP backlit screens now, for anyone who wanted to install one in an original GBA (or just fix their old AGS-101): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-SP-GBA-SP-Screen-LCD-OEM-Backlit-Brighter-Highlight/32622199888.html

Anyone know if these are just new old stock that someone found in a warehouse, or if they are newly manufactured screens?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Djarum posted:

So evidently of you get the light pipes installed on your cart shell (and you should they look great and are functional as hell) they glue on their cart label and then drill the hole for the light pipe so it looks flawless. Problem is for myself is I have access to a printer that printed original screen printed OEM labels in the 80s and 90s. So I wanted to print a label I designed and put it on. I put on my order to not put it on but in the Black Friday rush he didn't get a chance to talk to me about it. He apologized and I am not THAT upset about it.

Getting the glue off of the label and cart shell seems to be harder than I expected. I might just order a replacement shell and craft my own. Again I am the 1% of the 1% so don't take my problem as anything again Stoneage Gamer since they do great work there and have been perfectly happy otherwise.

Tossing the front cart shell in a ziplock bag with some Goo-Gone for an hour usually takes care of most labels.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Here's some old pictures of my PVM-20M2U which I believe is also an 800 line screen. If you open up the second one to full res, you can see the individual lines and how many lines there are per pixel; the yellow border around the character portraits is one pixel wide (You can also see how the lighter colors are bloomed out and merging together because the brightness is set too high):

I've since fixed the bloom and cleaned up the SNES's video signal, but taking good pictures of CRT screens is :effort:

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

RichterIX posted:

Hard Corps is so loving good. I have a huge boner for Konami's "historically Nintendo games but for Genesis!" phase. Well, I don't know if two games is enough for a phase, but they are cool anyway for how Genesis-y they are compared to the contemporary Nintendo games in those series.

Does an NES game that really wants to have a Genesis soundtrack count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZUC49bv2Po

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

azurite posted:

The clicking might be the focus mechanism, as stated, but that should not be happening while the system is off. Is the light coming on too? There could be a transistor issue, but I really doubt it.

For the buzzing power supply, I've been testing this with my PC Engine and Sega CD with success so far. Doesn't get as hot, and no loud buzzing to speak of (unlike the popular Velleman adapter, in my experience). It's also UL-listed, so it most likely won't burn your house down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: It's also worth noting that I've heard the plastic cases shifting as the systems got warm. Maybe that could be what you heard.

Nice, I've been looking for a reasonably-priced power adapter with a right-angle plug for my PC-Engine. The Velleman adapter buzzing is annoying and is a recent development; they didn't do that before. They also switched to a cheaper-feeling plastic housing and switch around that time, but at least it still functions just fine as a power adapter.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

A Yolo Wizard posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m6NBLNLDoFyvwPPTYS8AVPJNTMw1CE-mzberE6Tm9fg/edit?usp=sharing (I guess it was no longer 600+)

There are countless other controllers / power supplies / cabling I've sorted into other bins but thats the meat of it. Also got some random stuff I didn't list like a few unopened everdrives, a ps1 skateboard platform and a super scope with the eye piece missing.

I'll probably add price notes for myself later when I get back to this.

Thats a great collection of consoles too. I'd be interested in some if you parted them out, especially the JVC X'eye, AV Famicom, and SNES-Mini

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 5, 2017

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Yeah, especially if you are only looking to play GBA games on it, its probably worth it to just look for a PAL Gamecube and throw Swiss/Game Boy Interface on it.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

TheRedEye posted:

I do RGB (not component) so I do homebrew loader > Swiss > Game Boy Interpreter > RGB out on a PAL Gamecube, because only PAL supports RGB natively. It works because you're not ultimately spitting out a PAL signal, you're spitting out 240p.

Any recommendations on where to pick up a PAL gamecube in the US?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

TeaJay posted:

The Everdrive N8 handles expansion audio poorly even if you have an AV Famicom, and it's downright terribad for FDS games. I have a patched version of Gimmick and I still don't get all the expansion audio because N8 doesn't support all the necessary mappers.

You can install unofficial mappers to get Sunsoft 5B and Konami VRC6 working on the Everdrive N8. Still no way to get VRC7 working unless you have a Hi-Def NES though:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3245.msg32176#msg32176
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3391.msg32231#msg32231

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I was thinking about a single cable solution for a person like me that doesn't want to have to go buy an SCART cable (or SCART modded SNES) in addition to a converter (which there are a ton of, and you don't ever know if you're getting a good one because even this thread is foggy on recommendations from more than one person) in addition to the converter's power supply, who just wants to play their goddamned SNES on a modern TV without it looking like poo poo?

I've had this thread bookmarked for about two years, now, and a lot of regular posters here get caught up in feature creep and collection building and getting the "best of the best," but forget about two tenents of products: ease-of-use (simplicity), and cost. And I understand that. It's the "retro gaming thread," which in the past 5-8 years, has become synonymous with the "expensive old gaming thread."

Or am I wrong on that count? What the gently caress do I need to play a SNES and my sweet, sweet Star Fox 2 cart on my HDTV without spending, like, $200? Preferably without hooking six things up in-between the actual console and the television. The HD Retrovision looked to fill out that niche nicely.

I don't want a thing I can plug other things into in case I move on to a Genesis or N64 or whatever. I want to make my UM3 SNES look "less poo poo" on a screen. That's it. Is the HD Retrovision really poo poo, as the replies I've gotten imply? Return to Dinosaur Land and Star Fox 2 await.

The irony is that the XRGB-Mini Framemeister is popular specifically because it actually does what you want it to do: upscale analog 240p to 1080p HDMI without sync problems or compatibility issues. Its basically the only product in its price class or lower that works reliably on pretty much any HD display. It has a bunch of extra settings and the ability to load optimized profiles for each console, but the main reason people buy it is that it just works. Pretty much every cheaper option has the possibility of just displaying a blank screen, depending on your TV's scaling and analog signal processing capability.

If you want to spend under $200 to improve your SNES' video quality, have it work 100% of the time, and avoid having to mess with settings or deal with additional adapters/scalers, I'd recommend just picking up a Sony Trinitron CRT off Craigslist. You can get the SNES Retrovision cables for the component ports or just use S-video, you will have zero display lag, and you can even play light-gun games on it.

(My old 27" Sony Trinitron via component video)

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 11, 2017

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

falz posted:

Cool. I have SCART to BNC cables purchased from A Yolo Wizard a while back. I presume that Black BNC connector carries sync. I believe I should be able to connect these to the existing three console->SCART cables I have to make a console->bnc connector. I'm not a fan of that big bulge and extra connector in the middle but if it works its fine for now, and could always be swapped out later.

It looks like I already dumped enough :retrogames: that now I just need that one SCART Male to BNC Male! The one I linked to on ebay was just sorta the first one I saw, it seems like they've sold many so maybe it's ok. Going to grab said cable and report back.

A few days ago there was SCART switcher vs BNC switcher discussion, I really do think BNC is cheaper. There are several of these switchers on Ebay for double digits, at that price one could get console specific BNC cables (~$50/ea?) and still be cheaper than a nice SCART switch + cables.

Speaking of :retrogames:, my switcher plan doesn't leave room for a future Neo Geo purchase, dammit.

Make sure when you get the cable that it is wired so that the signal goes from BNC-SCART and not the other way around. I've tried using a SCART-BNC adapter in reverse and it doesn't work.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Play-Super-Famicom-Games-on-an-American-Sup/

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

There's probably a market for replacement SNES case parts in different colors considering how many of them are yellowed.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Someone make a party SNES with each piece a different color

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Just did a quick picture quality comparison between different RGB mods available on the N64. The THS7314 and N64RGB were run through a Framemeister with FBX's N64 profile. The Deblur on the N64RGB makes it a lot sharper, although the colors still aren't as accurate as the UltraHDMI:

THS7314 RGB amp:

N64RGB with Deblur off:

N64RGB with Deblur on:

UltraHDMI with Deblur on and Gamma Boost:

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 19, 2017

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

I'm glad someone finally made an HDMI mod for the GBA

For actual gamecube games though, you can get a Wii-U for much less.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

GutBomb posted:

I'll just end up ordering the everdrive and a power adapter from stone age gamer because it looks like shipping will be faster than krikzz and they have a 1.2a power supply for $8.

And I do plan on getting a sega cd eventually. I live in Salt Lake City and there's a game shop called The Game Changerz (where I got the genesis) that actually sells retro stuff at decent prices so I'll be back there when they get a sega cd in.

I'd recommend spending a couple more bucks and picking up one of these power supplies for the Genesis; they also work on the NES, AV Famicom, and PC Engine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

falz posted:

Curious what issues you had with this before? I got my cable but I appear to have sync issues. Only had a minute to plug it in so haven't tested much other than two sources (Genesis + Duo) to attempt to confirm that its not the console's fault:

This is my wiring:

It seems like it could be the fault of anyhting between the AV switch and TV I guess? (switch -> new rgb cable ->component converter)

Edit the Switchbox has a "VD" vertical sync too, hopefully that's not reqiured? http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/sony-pc1270.pdf

I'm guessing that the sync signal isn't being delivered on the right pin for the SCART-Component adapter. The console works fine connected directly to the converter I'm guessing? Also is there a sync stripper in any of the SCART cables? Those can cause sync problems with some adapters.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

I still don't understand why they made the max resolution on the AVS 720p; was it really that much more expensive to source an FPGA that could do run 1080p with 4x, 4.5x, and 5x pixel scaling?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Sweet Home, directed by Fujiwara who later made Resident Evil. It's basically the prototype for the Resident Evil series in a lot of ways.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Yeah, don't try to match picture settings between CRT and LCD screens (or even screenshots really), they will never look the same and aren't designed to. If you ran the 240p suite then it should be fine.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Rirse posted:

That looks really good on the right. Yeah I am done trying to match the color. And that last picture I posted earlier of Sonic 2 looks about perfect in my eye so I am not going to readjust anymore at this point.

The CRT on the right looks better because is closer to the camera and takes up more of the picture, so the camera is adjusting the light levels to match that screen. When the LCD is closer it looks balanced instead, and the CRT looks dim and washed out by comparison. The point is that photos of screens never accurately show what they look like in person.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 7, 2017

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Rirse posted:

I have no idea why i thought it was a good idea to compare a lcd to a crt. The 240p test suite was what I used to finally get it configured right, so no more messing with that poo poo.

With that done, what a good colorful game on the Genesis to try out beyond the usual Sonic games?

I usually go with Streets of Rage 1 or 2

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Did anyone ever get those Sega CD patches to work? I tried like 5 different versions of Popful Mail and Lunar Eternal Blue, including the "DarkWater" version and the one from the previously mentioned tropical website, but xdelta gives me the "xdelta3: not a VCDIFF input: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" error message every time.

Here's the process I'm using to install the patch, let me know if I've missed something:

1: Copy bchunk.exe to the same directory as the Sega CD bin/cue files, run via command line using -w to convert it to an .iso file and 3x .wav files without changing the filenames (The DW release comes in .ecm format, so you have to run unecm.exe to convert it to .bin first)

2: Run xdelta, enter in the Unworkingdesigns patch, the created .iso file, and set the output filename to Popfulmailunworked.iso

3: Get "xdelta3: not a VCDIFF input: XD3_INVALID_INPUT"

Also since the MD5 check is useless as the patch notes are from an earlier version, how do I know if I even have the right image to patch?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Yeah it turns out I had the wrong version of the patch (and xdelta, since I used the link in the old patch's readme). Doesn't matter as the new non-GUI version of xdelta also gives the exact same error message in the CMD window. I don't know what you mean by auto-patcher? Is there some way to apply the xdelta patch automatically?

Maybe by next month I'll get to the point where I can start researching what "adjusting the cue sheet" means, what programs you need for that, and what version is compatible with this patch.

Also whoever decided that giant walls of block text (with no line breaks or spaces between paragraphs :wtc:) are still an acceptable format for instructions needs to gently caress off.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

azurite posted:

Drag and drop the bin file onto binpatch.bat, it should patch and spit out an iso and wav files. Burn with the provided cue sheet.

You'll need to view the readme in WordPad or Notepad++. It probably uses UNIX-style line breaks, which Notepad won't handle correctly.

e: fb

Wait, all I have to do is drag and drop the .bin file onto the batch file and burn it with the replacement .cue file? Why does the instructions then say to convert it to .iso and run xdelta?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Well thats much easier to read. I completely missed the Manual Patching separator due to the poo poo formatting, so I thought you had to drag/drop the bin into the batch file, then convert the .ISO file using the instructions under Patching, which included running xdelta. What does "adjusting the cue sheets" require, and did you mean the one included with the patch, or the original one that came with the image?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

azurite posted:

See my edit above. Sorry, I missed that.

EDIT: I meant the cue sheet included with the patch. My original one didn't work after patching. I should really learn to read entire posts.

The worst part is I spent like 15 minutes in notepad trying to make that readme legible and still couldn't navigate it properly. I'll go and install notepad++ so that I won't have to deal with this again in 6 months when some new translation or fix gets released.

Edit: thanks for the cue sheet fix, I was getting a 2 second audio delay before.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

Well, it's a bit late now but I think I've found the reason for why my N64 with RGB was behaving so poorly with my TV. The N64 outputs 59.82 Hz, while the SNES and NES output at 60.09 Hz. In my infinite wisdom I never thought to check into the "Full_status" option see what the input/output streams were actually doing. That 0.27 Hz difference apparently is what was causing my TV to stutter. I don't know why necessarily this matters, especially when the XRGB itself should be outputting 60 Hz exact anyway, but there it is. Conversely with the UltraHDMI it of course does 60 exactly when in 1080p mode and works flawlessly.

Thats interesting; and it might explain why the N64RGB display issue is becoming more common. Something about how the sync signal is generated doesn't cooperate with certain displays. I have a PSOne LCD screen that goes very dim when connected to a modded N64, but it displays fine on my PVM and XRGB-Mini.

TheRedEye posted:

My take isn't much different from some of the others here. I think it's lost in transit and is just going to show up one day without any fanfare, and that he should save the fundraising talk for when it's ACTUALLY hopeless.

Yeah it usually takes over a month for one Everdrive cart to arrive in the states when everything goes right, let alone 100 in an oversized box.

• Locked thread