Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

RIP old thread, you served us well. All hail the new thread.

EDIT: I second the Tetrisphere recommendation. I loving love that game. Every time I show it to someone new it always starts with, "What? What is this. Why would I play this instead of...:aaa:".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Someone is selling a NGCD with two controller pads and SamSho 1-3 for $160 locally. I'm really loving tempted to buy it for some strange reason, despite having a Neo Geo Candy MVS setup. I think it's just the controllers, they look so familiar and yet somewhat alien to what I'm used to.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

d0s posted:

What model is it, there are three versions and the front loader should be avoided Also the pad controllers are really great when they work but their sticks have a failure rate that makes the N64 stick look reliable, so you should be looking into getting normal neo-geo arcade style sticks anyway because there's pretty much a 100% chance the pad sticks are dead or dying

It's the top loader (non-CDZ), and that's good to know about the pads, I didn't realize their failure rate was so high. In any event, I'm going to pass on it, because I can't justify picking it up when I've already got an MVS setup. I was just surprised it popped up for sale in the area, and at a reasonable price. There's a good chance this will drive me to finally buy either the PSX or Saturn port of the SamSho RPG and slog through it once and for all, though.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

d0s posted:

speaking of the samsho RPG does anyone remember the huge drama surrounding the NGCD fan translation that ended with the creator having a huge meltdown, telling the N-G forums he would finish the patch and never release it to anyone but himself, and posting a photo of his dick? those were good times

no, my N64 controller that I've had since launch is still perfectly fine, I also didn't play any of the notorious stick breaking games

God bless the N-G forums, a never ending cesspool of poo poo and drama.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Would playing Pokemon G/S/C via GoombaGBC on the GBA Everdrive result in a working RTC, since the GBA Everdrive has RTC support built in? I played it for a while on the GBED, but it was too much of a pain in the rear end with the RTC not working correctly.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Harlock posted:

Segue into good video gaming podcasts?

Retronauts. For non-retro stuff I really like 8-4 Play, but it relies heavily on you liking the personalities of the hosts.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

falz posted:

Anyone know much info about Neo Geo cabinets? I see one available locally-ish for a reasonable price, it appears to be the one that takes 4 carts. It has a 150 in one multicart in one which sounds sane.

My weird requirement would be to keep it Neo Geo but attempt to easily flip over to something Jamma-ish, perhaps exclusively to play Burger Time on (emulated I guess). I see that there are Neo Geo / Jamma adaptors in both directions, anyone know if you can more or less hook up both at once and switch between with a swtich?

I already have two arcade cabs and cant possibly have more, so I'd purge one (Karate Champ) for this one (which will go along side Star Wars [vector]).

I'm sure you could rig up a switch, but swapping what is installed takes like 1 minute, especially since you're already familiar with arcade guts. I keep a CPS board inside of my neogeo candy, along with the MVS motherboard. If I want to play one or the other, I just open it up, swap the wire from one to the other (I just leave the adapter on the end of my CPS board) and then restart.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

falz posted:

I guess that's not that bad, I'm just tight on space in that rolling the cabinet out far enough to do that would be a chore and would greatly reduce its usefulness.

It seems that MVS and Jamma pinouts are really really similar, maybe I do something weird like get a 2-to-1 jamma adaptor (they seem to exist), wire the OUT of that adaptor to be MVS, wire one IN to be MVS, leave the other at Jamma. Seems ugly but I guess it would work? Sounds like a bit of a mess though.

Ah, yeah, I forgot you'd be dealing with a door on the back. My cab has one on the front, so it's easy to access.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Light Gun Man posted:

I think my Sega PAC is for realz dead now. My Laseractive won't do anything if I turn it on with the PAC inserted. Still plays LDs at least, as long as I eject the PAC.

Oh hey, I have the opposite problem. My PAC is fine, but my Laseractive won't play LDs or CDs and literally everyone around my area laughs at me when I call to ask if they repair LD players. We should combine to form a working Laseractive.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Light Gun Man posted:

I remember getting a quote from a user on digital press years ago on a PAC recapping for 100 bucks. I put it off, forever. If there is a cheap person, hell yeah let me know.

Agreed, I would also like to know of this person. Shipping an entire LaserActive to them would probably cost a billion dollars, but it'd be better than it not working.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

d0s posted:

I think this was it, I remember the hilarious 1995 website http://www.laserdiscservice.com/

This site is everything I'd want a laserdisc repair service to be. I hope the fact that they haven't updated in 3 years isn't a bad sign.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Every one of my TVs looks like poo poo over composite. I have a few CRTs, including a Trinitron. I know what to expect. I just don't have the space or want to set up a CART in my small living room. I've moved on.

My argument is, people poo poo all over the Retrovision cables for :reasons:, but I don't see how it's bad in my use case scenario. (When in stock) they seem much cheaper than a framemeister (JFC $900?), I don't have to hook up anything else, and my component input does show a grey scale picture on the green input (I've had to do that before, setting up a VGA adapter with my PS2).

I'm just asking, is there anything particularly wrong or bad about that cable? Other than it being a single-console solution, I mean. As I said, I'm okay with that. That's all. I don't necessarily want an answer to fit my thoughts on it. If it's legitimately poo poo for a real reason, that's cool, I'll look elsewhere for a solution. And do a whatever SCART and box, even though I don't really want to do that. I'm not "getting mad at the thread."

I kickstarted them and have an SNES and a Genesis one I use with my CDX. I used them both on my Mitubishi DLP and it was a night and day difference. Since moving and having more room, I have them both going into a CRT now and they look magical. The cables are nice, and they're nice and cheap alternatives to dedicated scalers, etc. The only downside I see is that they're heavily targeted (only work on a specific console, etc) but if it works for you then it works for you.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

beaver_cheese posted:

Does anyone here own a Dreamcast USB-GDROM? Good, bad, better alternative?

http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

After 4 bad discs in row yesterday I'm getting tired of burning games. I'm thinking about buying one, but would like to hear any first hand opinions on it. It looks better than the GD-EMU in my eyes, but the ordering system seems a little sketchy. I'm sure it's fine though.

EDIT: Ignore this, it's been a long day and I didn't look at the linked page close enough. I've got the GDEMU, the "old" USB one.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

d0s posted:

I loving love everybody who hacks roms

e: why no lunar 1 tho :( or am i the only one who likes that game

Aside from translation, I don't think Lunar 1 was as hosed in as many obvious ways as Eternal Blue. Was it?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Stone Age Gamer just opened up orders for HDMI-modded Gamecubes for $250. I didn't know that was a thing.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

d0s posted:

Yeah with that game I feel like they just picked the cheapest JRPG out there for them to license and thought "slap a fancy box on it and our nerd fans will buy anything lmao". It's not some horrible kusoge but definitely seems like something that should would have been a barebones budget release, if released here at all. On the other had I'm not a big RPG guy so maybe it has some hidden greatness that I missed because I've seen big fans and it even got ported to the iphone years ago when porting a retro game to the iphone was kind of a big deal

I liked Vay when it came out, but I was also an RPG-starved kid and would play almost any console RPG I could get my hands on. When SoMoGa brought it out on iOS I played through it and it was really only then that I realized how bland of a game it is. It's not terrible, but it doesn't do much to stand out.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/vgm/5994944786.html

Sorry to resurrect the PVM chat, but these just popped up locally and i have no idea how a PGM differs from a PVM, or if this PGM model is any good. These are just down the road from me, are they at all worth picking one up? I'm just using an old non-flat CRT at the moment.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Yeah, sadly the PGMs were all taken. I reached out to the seller right after I posted but they said they got an overwhelming response. I did notice they posted this in the time it took me to get home, though:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/vgm/5995370526.html

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Oh poo poo, the guy e-mailed me back and someone backed out of a multi-buy, so I can snag one of those PGMs if I want to.

edit: But, yeah, it looks like it only does 31Khz, so no 240p I guess. That might make it less worth it for me (I also don't have an xrgb or anything).

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 9, 2017

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

flyboi posted:

I want to hack the game but it's ide and I need more ram so nudie games is about all I can do

Why would you ever play anything besides erotic photo hunt???

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Day one of the Midwest gaming classic was good times

I bought this hat from Windy back when he first sold them. I wore it a bunch leading up to the inauguration, but now it just seems too real.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm late to post this, but I bought FireMrshlBill's PVM last week, and it's been amazing so far. It looks like a loving dream with my HD Retrovision component cables on SNES and CDX. I'm both happy and sad that I foresee myself getting my 64 and NES RGB modded in the near future.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Lower power consumption and a soft reset are enough to get me to double dip for the X7, I think.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I was trying to google this but having a difficult time--do you need to worry about burn-in on PVM's? I figure you don't, but since you do with arcade monitors I figured it's at least worth checking.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm mostly just being overly paranoid about leaving a game paused for 30mins or so without turning the TV off.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

XtraSmiley posted:

I've been doing a lot of traveling lately, and I always stop by the local "retro game" store. Today I'm at Dulles, so I stopped by https://www.estarland.com which was literally across the street from where I'm staying.

What a big store with a ton of new poo poo! I was impressed with the selection, but not with the price. WTH is it with stores charging more than eBay prices? I mean a little bit higher is one thing, but everything was 10-20% or more higher. I mean, WTH? Also, so many people were bringing in used games to trade in while I was there, and getting like 10% of what they could have selling on craigslist or eBay. Are people just that lazy?

Rant over. I'm just made I can't get old games at reasonable prices anymore. Time to order some more flashcarts.

Yeah, like a couple others, this is a local store for me, too. I used to work a few minutes from there and would go by to look around at lunch. I haven't bought anything from there in years (10+ years ago they were in a smaller location in a strip mall and had much more decent prices/import selections). They host some cool swap meet events, but buying actual games from the store sucks. I also loving HATE that they don't price things and I have to use a kiosk in the store to search for games on their website to find a price.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

XtraSmiley posted:

OK, those of you local to that store... any good places to eat? I love Mexican and BBQ, no chains please..

And to make this a retro themed post, what's the biggest change in a 16-bit game in regards to food items? I'm thinking Mystical Ninja, but maybe there were others? (i.e. changing Japanese cuisine into American).

Where are you staying? If you're closer in towards DC/Arlington, District Taco is the best you can get. It's a local chain (started a food truck here, and has blossomed into a couple of locations in the area--the menu is based off the founder's mother's recipes), but super delicious. Texas Jack's is my favorite local BBQ, followed by Dixie Bones, then Rockland's (though I know a lot of people prefer Rockland's over Dixie Bones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I wouldn't recommend paying an arm and a leg for a PVM. Set up craigslist saved searches for a PVM in your area so you get alerts if any are posted and wait for a deal. In the meantime, a 20"-27" Trinitron (or other decent brand AND model CRT) with composite+s-video+component will be plenty. As I said a few pages back, I sold my 14" PVM because I was just using my 27" Trinitron pretty much exclusively anyway (admittedly because sitting on the couch in front of a 27" was much more convenient that the setup around a 14", and the difference in picture didn't make the loss of comfort worth it).

Just get the highest output quality cable for your console and hook it up to that and you will be happy. Yes, you will have that itch for the RGB PVM, but if you really saw them side by side, you would realize your cheap/free tv and not having to mod your consoles (except the s-video on a SNES mini) is a much better value if you aren't a graphics snob. The picture is definitely better on a PVM, I am just saying for most people, dropping <$40 on a TV and $10/ea on cables is a much better value than $300 on a PVM, $30/ea on SCART and BNC cables, and sometimes $100+ on each console mod. That $100 vs $500+ is more than good enough for most.

That said, I still do have my PVM saved searches set up and if one pops up for a reasonable price (especially a 20" or bigger), I will grab it.

The guy I bought my previous PVM from said he had tried selling them for awhile at broadcast/photography club yard sales and classified but no one was biting. He had no idea about the retro game market. So there still are a number of them out there in someone's basement or garage who had no idea that anyone wants them. I just hope they make it into someone's hands and not a recycling center.

I agree with all of this. I bought my PVM (the one FireMrshlBill sold) because the price was right and I had a new setup that had space for a PVM but not space to use my big CRT. I was tired of going up to the top floor to play stuff on the CRT when I could just play on the PVM at my desk while on conference calls, etc. I think PVMs are great and I don't regret getting mine at all, but I think they have a very specific use case that makes them worth it.

• Locked thread