Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I stopped at the local thrift store after work. I didn't think much of it. They're usually OK for some stuff. Well...

:stare:

60 bucks for this whole lot. The SNES games were half off, so 2.50 apiece. I've never had a score like this. I had trouble putting basic thoughts together as I was checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kuros posted:

Hopefully those stickers come off easily. Great score.
Thanks! Luckily they do, I took one off of a cheaper title and then removed it carefully from Peace Keepers. This is a pretty insane feeling. You think the thrift scene is dried up, and boom.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 3, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Patter Song posted:

Those SNES games all complete in box...what the hell.

Stunt Race FX is the most hilarious thing. Prepare for blazing single-digit FPS.
It's quite the variety, and yeah Stunt Race is pretty bad. Ambitious for the day but it doesn't hold up.

I'm still mainly blown away by The Peace Keepers, because apparently complete it's fairly :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Just to clarify how crazy this pickup was for me, I routinely go to thrift stores throughout the Philly area and NJ, and I hardly ever find poo poo when it comes to SNES. They're just constantly combed through and everybody has "a local dealer that we always sell our stuff to", so to hit this big at once just rendered me a bit numb.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Shyduck should talk to Monitor Burn about converting that Stunt Race into a Starfox 2 cart or something, though it might still be better left alone CIB.
I actually already own a loose copy of Stunt Race, so I'll have an extra. Using the cart for a repro might not be a bad idea though.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 3, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

N64 also has a relatively small library (296) so it's still reasonably doable to go for a complete set if that's what you want to do.

Patter Song posted:

Wait, I can sell the Mario Party 1 cart in my closet for $50? Holy poo poo.
Yep. Pretty much anything Mario for SNES on up is money.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I tore the LCD ribbon cable of a GB Pocket while trying to do a backlight upgrade :saddowns:

That film you have to remove first is a bitch and a half.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

^^^^ edit: fuuuuck my condolences

Yeah, if you do it just be very patient. There's not a lot of room to work with due to how the cable is, and it's the most fragile cable ever made.

The rest of the work is pretty easy, in fact I got the backlight working properly without issue. It wasn't until it was fully assembled again and I had game audio that I realized there was a problem. It's like I own a Gameboy themed night light now.

Once I find a cheap enough Pocket, like something beat up, I'll just swap it again so I can tear another cable and scream.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 10, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Picked up Mega Man Legends 2 this weekend. It's slightly :retrogames: to begin with but I felt I got a very fair deal, and the disc, case and manual are immaculate. Now I have all the MM PS1 US releases. In fact it completes most of the "major" stuff, now I'm just down to Battle Network, etc.

Ineffiable posted:

Welcome to the classic feeling of retro regret.

At some point, most of us has sold off various old games just to be able to buy more games (or for other things) and it's painful seeing that if you could sell it today, it would have been worth ten times more. Or that you just wish you still had it.
I started collecting again because I wanted a Saturn again, which as a kid I traded to Funcoland for an N64 which I never got the same enjoyment out of. This was like 4-5 years ago, so luckily I got all the games I wanted before the Saturn market got stupid.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't own anything to play this on (yet), but I had to have it :ussr:

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 23, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

CIB X'Eye :stare:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787634

edit: vvvv ah my bad, I got excited

shyduck fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 24, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

:ughh:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

No idea, I certainly couldn't tell. There was also a copy for $16.99, and the craziest part was all the labels were dated within a 2-day span.

They also had some weirdness going on with their SNES pricing: Mario World for 17 (really good for retail these days) and Mario Kart for 55 (what).

Store was cool, I got MMX6 PS1 for 14, but yeah that stuff was really bizarre.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Video game chat: I found a white PS2 slim at the thrift store today, with white controller. 20 bucks!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Phantasium posted:

Jogcon was dumb, long live the Negcon.
The Negcon is one of my all-time favorite controllers. It's very responsive, easy to use and it's well constructed.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody else attend Retro World Expo in CT this weekend? I thought it was decent. Good variety, but the venue itself was weird. Bad lighting and stuff, but small grievances.

I picked up the following:

Aerobiz (SNES)
Madden 98 (SNES)
TMNT Mutant Warriors (SFC, aka Tournament Fighters in all other regions)
Super Tetris 2 & 3 (SFC)
Ghostbusters (Famicom)
Mike Tyson's Punchout (Famicom)
Exerion (Famicom)
Super Star Pro Wrestling (Famicom)

And to round it all out, my first 32X! Now I just need games for it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

What have I done
ONE OF US

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/hyperkin_supaboy_s_promises_multi-region_snes_gaming_on_the_go

Hyperkin is releasing the SupaBoy S next month. Bigger screen, better battery life, and now supports both PAL and NTSC. The original one wasn't quite my cup of tea, but it might be worth a look.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Favorite bad port has to be SMB Deluxe for GBC. It's SMB1, but they had to zoom it in very close to get it to work right, and it results in a lot of blind jumps and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fpBiykYoAI

d0s posted:

if she's smart it's because that place is a ridiculously overpriced scam house
Ugh yes, VGNY has a lot of cool and uncommon stuff but a lot of their prices are outright ridiculous, especially NES/SNES. I wonder how much of their business relies on NYU students.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 22, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody here have Rockman & Forte for Wonderswan? I'm contemplating buying it and probably will anyway, but I'm curious as to how it actually plays.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

d0s posted:

yes, it stinks

e: get buffers evolution instead
I'll take a look at it, thanks!

Also, do you have any other recommendations for the system that are somewhat English-friendly? Doesn't matter what genre, but I have only one game for it at the moment and I'd like to pick up a few more that I can actually play.

edit: yeah I'm gonna definitely avoid it now, unless it falls in my lap super cheap or something, which it currently isn't

shyduck fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 28, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

I think it's on Amazon Video. I don't recommend watching it, it wasn't all that interesting and the lead has some mental health issues that he should probably address.
I haven't see it, but I've heard it described as a long Game Chasers episode devoid of any charm or fun. Is that about right?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just "watched" that Nintendo Quest doc, as in after about 15 minutes I skimmed through it, because most of it after the intro is just the guy looking through display cases.

Starts off like it could be cool, but 2 days in he's already got 1/3rd of the collection (he has 30 days to complete it). Also in those first days, they were going to homes of friends buying prearranged lots of good games for very cheap, which takes a lot out of it to begin with. They don't really show in-store negotiations. You don't always know how much he's spending nor how much money he's working with. There was some weird scene involving a "rival collector" in Ohio, who seemed to just be some nice normal guy wondering who the hell these people from Canada are. The dad angle was pretty :wtf: out of nowhere.

Also, that same Tod collector is featured in it, and that's where they get Little Samson from.

They showed that cabinet discussed in the ESPN article; Tod has a gray NWC cart (there might've been two actually but I don't feel like looking again) and 4-5 VGA graded boxed NES games. VGA grading is the biggest scam in retro gaming, but when you obviously have money to burn I guess it doesn't matter.

But anyway, overall the Nintendo Quest was actually just as I expected more or less. It seemed like a good premise but it just fell completely flat and never felt interesting nor compelling.

edit: Apparently the money for this entire doc was raised via Kickstarter, and they raised about $17K for the quest itself, for game purchases and travel fees etc. I mean that's cool and all, but that's a lot more cash to work with than I had originally thought, and it's not even his, so yeah great job I guess. None of this outside of Stadium Events seemed all that challening if that's what the deal was.

d0s posted:

I can understand paying obscene sums for like, a game you love that you enjoy playing a lot or have some connection with but I don't think anybody actually finds stadium events fun or has good memories of it, wtf is the point
So you can have the biggest e-penis on nintendoage

shyduck fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 1, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There was one locally owned thrift shop that I got a very nice SNES/N64 score several months back that I posted about here, and they had a trickle of other decent stuff for a bit, including a white PS2 slim with white controller for pretty cheap, but in the last few months they barely have anything anymore. Either I'm getting there at the wrong times or that was all a one time thing.

The other day though they did have a fat PS3, for $75. I very much passed.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 2, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If you still want a Framemeister and want to avoid scalper markup you can get one at Solaris Japan for like $320. The only problem is it is backordered and won't ship until January, but it's better than paying out the rear end on eBay.

I've been meaning to get one forever so given recent developments I just ordered one from here.

https://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Picked up the 8-bit Link amiibo today as well. I now have this, the two Mario pixelated variants, and all of the World of Nintendo 2.5" pixelated figs and variants. I really wish they made more of the WON ones, because they haven't had a new pixelated one in last 2-3 series.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wish I had a good place to display my Virtual Boy without worry about a cat knocking it over

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I sold a copy of Blue with a new battery during the height of Twitch Plays Pokemon mania for something like double what they normally go for, despite the fact that that game is insanely easy to play in much cheaper ways and one of the most common GB games ever.
Same exact thing happened when Pokemon Go launched. Red/Blue were going for 50-60 and Yellow 60-70. After a couple of weeks they went back to the 25-30 range again.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

These are always fun to look at when it comes to wondering how cheap games were: Funcoland circular from June 1999. (Big images, so right click and open in a new tab if you can't read them)

shyduck fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 5, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, Pokemon R/B/Y hitting the eShop probably helped a lot in driving the prices back down
I think it's had a slight effect, but not for this specific case. The eShop downloads were released in February, and prices on the carts remained somewhat steady until Go was released. It was a nostalgia wave more than anything, and I don't think digital had as much to do with it.

edit: I will agree that digital has had a slight cumulative effect on the market, but that spike was something different altogether.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 5, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What do you guys use to inventory your collections? I'm looking for something Android friendly.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I got to see something up close today that I never even knew existed-- an actual Sculptor's Cut box.

They used it on the shelf at Blockbuster stores. Also to my surprise, this one is in very good shape.

Also, today I got handle a Hyperkin Smartboy Dev Kit. It's an interesting device, definitely not without some hardware quirkiness befitting of what is essentially a beta build. As it is, I think it's too bulky and pricey to replace an SP, but we'll see what they come up with.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm hoping my Framemeister ships soon, Solaris had it pegged for a January delivery, so we'll see.

Also holy poo poo someone actually paid $950 for one a few days ago on Ebay

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

A friend of mine got a complete in box JVC X'Eye for 50 bucks at a Goodwill today :stare:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My Framemeister arrives tomorrow. What a time to be alive.

Phone posted:

Unless if you're playing FDS specific games, grabbing (ha) an NES Mini + ROMs seems like the most hassle free way to get an HDMI out NES.
Apparently it's possible to add FDS roms to the NES Mini. I haven't fully explored it yet but it's supposedly doable.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 24, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

Hey just FYI, GameStop is firesaleing PS3s for $40.

If you're looking for an easy way to play PSX games on a modern TV, this isn't a bad way to go.

Also I realize I'm probably opening a can of worms about whether or not the PS3 is considered "Retro" yet.
Welp, tried doing the in-store search for one to no avail. I'd drop $40 for a fat.

Also just for anybody unaware, you can play PS1 games on I believe any PS2, and it does have component output. Unfortunately, game compatibility isn't 100%, but there's only a small handful of titles affected.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

azurite posted:

My estranged grandfather passed away a couple weeks before Christmas and my uncle found these while going through his belongings. It's all in great shape with most of the pamphlets. I have no idea why he had them, but I'll take good care of them. :unsmith:

First, sorry for you loss.

Ghostbusters is fun. It's a bit like the NES version but a lot less soul-crushing.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

2nd and Charles pays off again. I found a suspicious looking NES controller in the back of a rack of bagged up controllers. Turns out they bagged the controller up with Power Grips :toot:

Paid 7 bucks, which is their normal controller price at the moment. This is what they look like for those not familiar:

They go on eBay for $20-30 normally, and they're actually useful.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, this drives me bananas. The first thing I did was to buy an SFC30 and receiver and I haven't looked back. Amazing little gamepad.

I actually just bought two more SNES30s from a goon in SA-Mart. Thinking about buying some SFC colour XYAB buttons and replacing the purple ones that come with the SNES30 just to make everything fit the SFC better.
Can you use two together with a console and two dongles? Like no interference or anything?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Quiet Feet posted:

I should probably just buy Smash TV for the SNES.
You should, it's a really nice port.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I have the NES version on that Hori pad, it's nice. I had no idea they made a SMS version, but given how blah the regular controller is, it makes sense that it's pricey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Does anybody remember ever seeing a licensed Super Nintendo arcade cabinet? There was one at a nearby Burger King growing up. It had 3 console launch titles (SMW, F-Zero, Pilotwings) and oversized arcade-quality controllers.

I'm trying to find any info on it, but either my google-fu is weak or this was extremely obscure.

• Locked thread