Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

d0s posted:

hey if any of you stream retro games post your twitch links or whatever and I'll put a section in the op for people to watch you play video games

http://twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe

Edit: Wow, somehow I missed 7 other pages in this thread.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Ahh, a thrown fit for a king!

Why would you throw this?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh, hey, a new SD2SNES 1.7FW revision: https://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/793

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Caitlin posted:

On the contrary I will tell you a black Duo is just fine as long as you have it recapped. :shrug:

Pretty much, the only other knock someone would have against the Turbo Duo is the AV port being on the side. :psyduck:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Silhouette posted:

The Everdrive 64 v2.5 is $107 though :confused:

The v3 is pretty good though and I'm glad I paid the price.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

find me a flashcart that can play star fox 2

One day, SD2SNES will. One day... :negative:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Didn't the Analogue damage people's carts? I know thats what the original review that was linked here was saying.

It did. The cart slot was exceptionally tight and could gouge the PCB.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

fruitpunch posted:

Speaking of GBAs, anyone know a good place to get an OG GBA with a backlight these days? I see kits to do it myself but I don't trust my abilities in the slightest and i'd much rather either pay for one that's already done, or find someone to whom i can send a GBA for modding.

Not really. Backlight screen supply has been drying up and they have been jumping up in price because of it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Willo567 posted:

I'm considering getting the Retro Freak after hearing all the buzz about it, but I have one question: do I need the original cartridge to download and play the games, or can I play them off the SD card through "other" means?

I believe it's more open than the Retron so you should be able to drop ROMs on it without modification.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

flyboi posted:

How hard is the hdmi mod to install? That is pretty and I want it.

Hard enough that you can't buy it for DIY directly from the maker. Only known installers can buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0eS4Qe2LM

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

flyboi posted:

That's stupid but I digress. Oh well

I get where Marshall is coming from. This thing is pretty difficult to install and I feel like he doesn't want to repeatedly perform customer service for customer gently caress ups. How many times has someone here (including me) posted a picture of a soldering horror show? They're fun to look at but no one wants to support it!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Don't ROMs load a lot quicker on the SD2SNES?

Very.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

MSU hacks are always kind of meh in my mind, because I have yet to hear one that's been orchestrated by a team and instead it comes off of 'Hey this OCremix sounds great shove it in there instead of Boomer_Kwanger.mid'.

Plus the FMV animation is baaaaad.

There's a couple that use Blake Robinson's adaptations and they are consistent. Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid are recommended.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 27, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Curious to hear how this would work on a Mario World MSU hack

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxta_tvvXyg

Edit: Though not everything from xoc_SMW is used technically.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 27, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wizgot posted:

Does anyone think that the SD2SNES will ever get Super FX support?

One day. One day...

:negative:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

Does the SD2SNES board have those two extra sets of connectors on the side that SuperFX games have?

Yes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

They must be trickling stuff out, they put out sealed SNES games a while ago.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Had no idea this was in development:

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/darksofts-neo-geo-aes-a-mvs-flash-cartridges-nearing-release.html

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I imagine some CPS2 board owners might be interested in this: http://arcadehacker.blogspot.ca/2016/09/capcom-cps2-security-programming-guide.html

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I can't imagine the marketing on it did anything to help it when the ad taglines literally said "This game stinks!" either.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I paid for Magic Engine years ago and I'm OK with it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

Doesn't Magic Engine also do PCFX in the registered version?

It's a separate emulator with a separate price (or combo price if you buy both).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SnatchRabbit posted:

Is there a recommended site or friendly goon that flashes roms onto famicom carts? I picked up a copy of Lagrange Point and I'd like to have the english patch applied.

http://www.nesreproductions.com

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Another MSU-1 patch is out. This one is for Mega Man 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poHfFVxmsqs

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3088/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It was literally posted in the previous page...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Trigger warning: https://imgur.com/gallery/n8FKM

:barf:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SD2SNES 0.1.7d has been released: https://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/819

ikari posted:

What’s new:

• reworked the in-game hook code again, squeezing out a couple more CPU cycles – compatibility improved further. The in-game hook compatibility list has been updated accordingly!
  • BS-X: new bsx page file by LuigiBlood!
    1. contains a proper channel map, notably fixes Fuurai no Shiren: Surara o sukue and most likely more games
    2. revives the town :)
  • BS-X: better detection for script-type ROMs (e.g. various magazines)
  • Cx4 SKIP instruction timing sped up a bit. Core felt a bit too slow. (this is a makeshift “fix” until I implement the proper Cx4 instruction timing I recently figured out)
fixes:
  • fixed occasional black screen after soft reset (L+R+Select+Start)
  • in-game hook memory area visibility quirks fixed in various situations, notably fixes BS Kirby no Omochabako: Pinball
  • BS-X: fix PSRAM corruption on SNES WRAM writes, fixes a number of games, notably BS Kirby no Omochabako: Pinball (tough one)
  • PPU2 H/V count odd/even read flag is reset on ROM load, this fixes games that depend on it when run after games that leave it in a dirty state – notably audio glitches and freezes in Super Punch-Out when run after Fuurai no Shiren.
  • SPC Player: Fixed a long-standing transfer corruption bug that occurred because the original bulk transfer routine didn’t account for CPU stalls by HDMA (which is abundant in the sd2snes menu). This fixes occasionally missing instruments, corrupted samples etc.
  • fixed an occasional deadlock on bootup where the menu would hang at the “Loading…” screen.
  • fixed hard freeze when selecting a file immediately after disabling the “Hide file extensions” option
  • fixed persistent hard freeze in recent games list handling when running games with long path names (> ~120 characters)
  • revert DAC I2S timing to pre-v0.1.7c behaviour, hopefully reducing audio glitches for sd2snes Rev.G units
  • fixed corrupted file list display after playing an SPC file with a scrolled file name

cosmetic changes:
  • “Loading” window is replaced by status bar notification to be less disruptive with very short load times
  • configuration settings no longer have the wrong color when changed

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 5, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Awesome! What does "revived the town" for Satellaview mean? You can actually go into the buildings and stuff now??

That's what I took it to mean as well. Unfortunately, I don't have much interest in BS-X stuff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rirse posted:

Oh nice, I got for free today a Panasonic CT-32sl14. For a 32 inch tv it was a pain to carry, but the picture is so nice even on composite. Want to get some competent cables, but having trouble finding where to order them for the SNES and Genesis.

Believe you want those Retrovision component cables?

Edit: These things: http://www.hdretrovision.com

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Djarum posted:

Here is a odd question. Does a model 1 Japanese Megadrive work with a US Sega CD?

I believe it does but, the Sega CD is region locked to only play US Sega CD games. You'd need something like a Mega Everdrive to load a region BIOS or install a mod.

Edit: Looked into this further. Apparently US and European Sega CDs will not work with a Japanese Mega Drive. But for some reason a Japanese Sega CD does not have this check.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 12, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TeaJay posted:

I have the Model 1 (HD graphics!) PAL Megadrive, albeit modded with 50/60 and eng/jap switches. Would I need a PAL Mega CD unit as well, or could I mix and match? It's not totally clear.

I do have the Mega Everdrive though, saved my life.

With an Everdrive, it doesn't matter. You can load up any region's BIOS for the Mega CD. You just need to find the BIOS files.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rirse posted:

Jeez, fifty bucks. Probably wouldn't care about the price, but how fast do they ship?

You'd be spending roughly the same or more for a SCART cable and SCART to component converter (though you'd only need one converter). The cables just cut out the converter since it's already built in. No idea on shipping though I think at least one or two people in this thread have bought them and could probably chime in.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rirse posted:

Rats they are sold out of the SNES cables. Hopefully they don't take a while to return in stock like the Dreamcast flashcart. Speaking of components, has anyone done the N64 mod for RGB yet?

A few of us have including me. It's not terribly difficult. But now there's preassembled circuits for simpler installs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rirse posted:

Is there a easy to see which one you have? The N64 I got as a kid was bought around the time of Shadows of the Empire.

Shadows of the Empire is launch window of the N64. You should have the right one already.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

So then the answer would technically be no.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

xamphear posted:

Who else in here is a PSIO owner? There are a few of us who have managed to get one, right? Well, turns out there's been a wee bit of a situation over on the psxdev forums.

Shadow has been the one producing and selling the PSIO units, but apparently the brains behind the device and code is cybdyn. A few days ago cybdyn posts something vague and poorly communicated (he's not a native English speaker) that basically sounded like "I don't think I'm going to make any more firmware updates for the PSIO." Which is pretty bad, given the long list of compatibility issues that exist with the current firmware. User reaction is reasonably negative to this development, so Shadow says he's going to bring someone else onboard to re-code a new firmware from the ground up. Then cybdyn claims he's not even getting paid for the units that are sold, which Shadow denies and says it's a misunderstanding or miscommunication on cybdyn's part.

The whole situation sounds pretty bad to me, and if anyone here was thinking about getting in on the next batch of orders, I'd strongly advise against it. My PSIO order took something like 6 months to arrive, and the first thing I did after installing it was to go online and order a 12F629 PIC so I could program it as a modchip and then soldered that in as well. There are just a whole slew of games that don't work right, and if firmware development has stopped or has to completely start over... I don't think it's going to be getting better any time soon. It's a real shame too, given how capable the device seems.

If you enjoy drama, follow along here: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=880&start=280

I had an inkling when I followed the project and bought one. I was fully aware of cybdyn's involvement in the project and usually posted here and there. Boy oh boy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

xamphear posted:

Heh.

Shadow is the Aussie, and cybdn is... Belorussian? I think? That's what it says under his avatar on psxdev anyway.

Correct, his forum profile location confirms as such.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Drowning Rabbit posted:

My Wife surprised me this afternoon in my sick stupor with a late birthday present. She got me a SD2SNES! Loaded it up and tried out some Adventures of Batman and Robin, found out I still can't beat the Joker, then had to fall back to my old standby, Donkey Kong Country. This cart is pretty amazing.

Loaded it up with the latest firmware as well.

Load up some MSU1 patches. :getin:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

xamphear posted:

Linking to SNES roms is still okay to do here, right? Rules says old/out of print ROMs are okay to link to. Assuming that's true...

Making MSU-1 patched games is a pain, we should get completed ones zipped up and uploaded somewhere for easy sharing. I've got F-Zero, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Super Mario World I could upload.

Issue with that is that some of the MSU1 patched games use copyrighted music. Chrono Trigger is an example because it uses all of Blake Robinson's orchestrated adaptations which he charges for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pegnose Pete posted:

Framemeister questions!
I have been wanting to do a retro gaming set up for ages now, and while hunting down a BVM/PVM sounds tempting I may just end up going with an XRGB mini.
I have a few questions ...
I will primarily use it to play Playstation 1 and 2 games, as well as SNES/SFC.
I live in Japan and have both a SNES and SFC, but the only Playstation hardware I currently have is a Japanese PS3.
I own quite a few PS1/2 classics on PSN, but they mostly look like garbage on my 1080p plasma.

What I am wondering is: If I connect my PS3 to the Framemeister through HDMI (Or RGB 21, if there is a difference), and set the classics to output at 480p, what kind of image quality can I expect?
Does anyone have experience doing this? Since PS2s are region locked I would have to order a used North American PS2 online and then actually track down games.

Not even mentioning the clutter of having so many game consoles in a small Japanese apartment (It's already pretty bad), the fact that I already own most of the PS1/PS2 era games I want to play on PSN would make this solution a lot easier for me. I'm assuming that PS3 games that render at 720p will also look a bit cleaner through the Framemeister.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your PS3 can't make your PS1 games look good because of your TV, the Framemeister isn't going to help.

• Locked thread