Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

univbee posted:

Nintendo was right.

Well, they would have been if memory cards and games requiring them weren't a thing on the N64. :psyduck:

I get it, though. You could make the per-cart price cheaper if you had the save memory in a separate place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shiiiiiiiiittttt

Fuuuuuuuuucckkkkkk

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cliche Guevara posted:

So what's the deal w that Gamerztek Pi 3 or whatever? $150 but it emulates everything you throw at it until circa 1999. Pretty big deal imo...

http://www.gamerztek.com/product-p/emu64.htm

Idk how much pi 3s are, but you could calculate exactly how much they're charging you for a case and a cheap SNES controller knock off.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Really it's a wonder AM2R survived for, what seven years and two or three demos and actually came out.

Yeah, like how many "OOT2d" projects started and fizzled in that time?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What the hell is that?!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

beaver_cheese posted:

I actually made it myself out of a piece of acrylic. I used a heat gun and a vice to slowly heat and shape it. Not too hard to do and it gets pretty great results.

I also watched a video about using nail polish retail displays for handheld and coincidentally a friend of mine found a bunch in his condo's garbage area later that same night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oreOa_rIUj0

This is beautiful.

Please tell me about that small black box next to the gameboy printer.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wow, that's super cool, but I'm not sure it's worth the money to me. I understand how it could be worth it to others, though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

shyduck posted:

^^^^ edit: fuuuuck my condolences

Yeah, if you do it just be very patient. There's not a lot of room to work with due to how the cable is, and it's the most fragile cable ever made.

The rest of the work is pretty easy, in fact I got the backlight working properly without issue. It wasn't until it was fully assembled again and I had game audio that I realized there was a problem. It's like I own a Gameboy themed night light now.

Once I find a cheap enough Pocket, like something beat up, I'll just swap it again so I can tear another cable and scream.

I'll send you two pockets if you return one modded.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Am I too late for the "best genesis controller" discussion?

Found it at a thrift store, went back constantly in hopes of finding the rest of it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What are some good baseball games? I was playing Cal Ripken Jr on SNES last night, which I think controls well, but doesn't have real teams or stadiums.

Then I moved to Triple Play Gold on the genesis, which has real teams and ok controls.

Finally I jumped to MLB 2k13 on the PS3, which of course has incredible representations of the stadiums and even the fans wear different outfits representing their home team, but you need to take a course on the controls there. Way too much going on there. Compared to the other games I've mentioned this is like the difference between Daytona USA and Forza.

I remember Ken Griffey Jr. on the n64 being good, but I haven't played it in close to a decade, so I don't know of it holds up.

What's good with an mlb license and controls that you don't have to think about?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

Triple Play 99 is what I would suggest. It's got the framework of modern controls, but they're nowhere near as complex or fiddly as what they're like now, and every time you turn it on, you get a lecture on baseball history from Solid Snake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mcsn0M-1NM&t=11s

Thanks! I'll have to give this a shot.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Phantasium posted:

I missed this, or else I would have mentioned that the MLB got the rights to RBI Baseball in 2014 and deliberately made a game that is barely more complicated to control than the NES game. I think most people hate it but I played 2014 and 2015 and they seemed alright to me.

Oh hell yeah, I need to try this out. I wish there was a physical release, though. =[

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Phantasium posted:

There is for the 2016 version, which I haven't tried.

https://www.amazon.com/RBI-Baseball-2016-Xbox-One/dp/B01CR385LS

Not for any system I own, though. =[

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ugh I finally got around to attempting to install my n64rgb and I just found out that I have the smallest video encoder chip, so I need an adapter. Guess it'll have to wait a little bit longer.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Could you rig up some mechanism to allow you to rotate it and lock it into place? Then each player could decide.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah the only repro I would consider getting is starfox 2, but even then it's difficult to justify because it's not that great of a game.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Finally got the Genesis 2 RGB cable I needed for my dbGrafx Booster. You know what this calls for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8QvcB5KOuc(sorry for the shaky, I was holding the camera and the controller)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Things I hate in games: forcing you to replay all the bosses in a row.

This is usually where I stop playing.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This isn't super retrogames related, but I just got this thing and it's pretty cool. Reminds me a LOT of the cybiko.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

When is yours shipping? I know they've had some manufacturing trouble.

I received mine today.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh, how does it feel? I ordered mine really late and haven't received it yet. How is it? I got it because I like the idea of a retro "fantasy console" that you can tinker with. Hopefully it doesn't rile the thread up too much talking about it :)

It's super neat, but in a portable computer kind of way, not like a game system. If you've ever owned or held a cybiko, it feels like what that would be if made today. For gaming/programming, if you liked warioware diy you'll love this.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

Something's not right about that screenshot. How is Mario supposed to hit those question blocks?

By jumping on top of the blocks that he broke

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fishmech posted:

Yes, the original Game Boy screen is 4.7 by 4.3 cm, the Game Boy Pocket is 4.8 by 4.4 cm, and the Game Boy Color one is 4.4 by 4 cm. But it handles low light better and of course it's actually in color, so it's a fair trade off really. What's particularly nice is that the GBC has the least ghosting on screen of any of those three.

The gbc screen is waaay nicer than the pocket. https://youtu.be/kRRKqgoyUn8

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Monitor Burn posted:

Someone asked about old game boxes a while back in the thread; here's mine that survived from the 90's (other than UN Squadron which I found boxed on Amazon a few years ago):

Also, these boxes scuff up very easily. A lot of the wear on them comes from being stored in a shoebox and moved around for 10+ years, so I picked up some protective cases for them, which also lets them sit on a shelf easier.

Only console box I still have is the one that came with the AV Famicom I got from Buyee/Yahoo Auctions. I like that the back is just instructions on how to connect it to a TV:

Also I finished up an Ultra HDMI N64 mod for TheHouseofM, 2D art looks a lot better without the blur filter:

I captured some footage of Mischief Maker's attract mode/intro with 5x integer scaling and Deblur enabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7epF4JMk1w

Woooow that looks super good.

Hey, do you happen to have any of Tim Worthington's "Fine pitch DAC adapter for N64RGB" lying around? I need to get one, but the distance it will have to travel is making me put it off, which makes no sense because now it'll be even longer before I get one. It'd be neat to buy one off someone already in the US.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Fleedar posted:

Did the whole backlight/bivert thing. Looks better than I expected.

I want to frame this image.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

Is $50 a good price for a 3DO 2 controllers, no AV cables and a handful of games?

uhhhhh.....no? but connect me to the seller plz. buy it

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Monitor Burn posted:

I don't, but the DAC adapter does qualify for the budget $5AUD shipping service (as does the N64RGB itself). Do you already have the board and just need the adapter?

Correct. My wife got me the board for christmas, and I recently got around to installing it only to find I have the really tiny dac (MAV-NUS). Oh well, I just need to actually get around to ordering it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Wow a new thread!!

How is that Everdrive GBA?

I just got mine and came across a familiar name while looking for fun romhacks.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1083/

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MrSlam posted:

I'm thinking of getting rid of our ancient TV to replace with a slick HDTV. Problem is I'm also thinking of getting into retro-gaming.

Is the Retron 5 worth it or should I just hold onto an old TV to play Chrono-Trigger on?

I hope the answer isn't 'Go read the OP you jerk'

Do the cheapest thing that's going to let you play games. If you end up liking it more than just a fad, slowly upgrade. If you get the retron, you can start playing right away, you can build up a cart collection, and you can use original controllers. Many people in this thread are hardline against it for purity reasons, but don't let that stop you from playing games. The retron 5 seems like a great way to get going quickly.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Shame you can't upload poo poo to the level servers with that version. Seems like a really bizarre handicap, regardless of their stated intention of making it more about local experiences.

Yeah, I don't get it. Globally, you're likely to see some cool levels. It's going to be a very boring game for people in rural areas.

I've been holding out hope for an update that allows you to bundle your levels as "worlds" or even "games" complete with overworld maps.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wait what? The 3DS version isn't going to have downloadable levels from other users??

Local sharing/streetpass only.

Yeah....

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

SHOTS FIRED

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Some thoughts while I'm sitting at home, sick and playing games.

I really like the bit generations series.

Gameboy games on a TV still feel like gameboy games. The difference in the size of the viewport is really apparent.

I want a new, hd, 2d focused console.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

That axiom verge looks pretty good, too. Nintendo should have let them call it metroid and taken a larger cut.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Axiom Verge is ridiculously good, despite the weird grappling hook physics

If you like watching people play games, the retrorgb guy is live streaming it now on youtube.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Fun games

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Harlock posted:

No one will ever forget 9/9/99

R.I.P. Catfish Hunter

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Because MK3 is old and not actually good to play

Umk3 for the genesis is the definitive MK game.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

From what I understand, this occurs on the Neo-Geo Forums several times a day.

ok FINE I'll make an account there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The local retrogames meetup group closed recently, and I was thinking about starting a new one, but with a twist. It would be specifically a handheld gaming meetup. I figured it would be better since there would be less equipment to haul and you could meet in parks instead of people's houses. I really don't want some of those people in my apartment.

Does this sound like a good idea, and if so what games would be good? Def. MKDS, but I was thinking also the handheld Mario Parties. Multiboot games would be great, so not everyone needs the game.

• Locked thread