Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

A perfect illustration of why the tiger is overrated. A good tank is a tank that is there where you need it and the basement of a residence is not ideal for strategic mobility.

Would you rather have it down in the basement leaking all over the newspaper you put down, or piddling on your expensive rugs?

Besides, basements cure JABOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Monocled Falcon posted:

I want to troll some wehraboos: buy one of those fancy model kits for some obscure nazi tank and paint it up as captured by the Soviets.

Panther or tiger?

This thing, not captured so much as "original Soviet markings", and a datacard with the details of this one.

You can always reverse this as well.

my dad posted:

military-historical complex

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 2, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

what are you shortening to 'op'?

High-low Speed-drag Operator

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Taerkar posted:

No, 93 tons is approaching "No bridge can handle this, and neither can many roads" territory

Much less mud/snow/sand/other places that tanks are expected to operate.

gently caress, how many are you gonna be able to airlift per plane? Or y'all just going to kick back and wait for sealift?

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 5, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Sorry, was tanks trying to maneuver around to shoot each other in the rear end not a real thing?

I'm not being a wiseass here. My WWII knowledge is concentrated mainly in fighter planes, and USMC campaigns in the Pacific.

The extent of my tank knowledge comes from a 1970s Marvel comics series about a Sherman that was accompanied by the ghost of General Jeb Stuart, for some odd reason.

DC, actually. The Haunted Tank

Wikipedia posted:

As the Haunted Tank fights from Africa to the European Theater of Operations, the crew goes through several M3 tanks. When their latest M3 is destroyed, the crew scavenge spare parts and wreckage from a "tank graveyard" to build themselves a new tank, known as the "Jigsaw Tank",[2] which serves them from that point. This tank has a modified Russian T-34 Hull, a Christie Suspension System and a Russian Y2 12-Cylinder diesel engine of 500 H.P. the nearly 15 foot track gives this rolling jigsaw puzzle excellent traction and it is capable of speeds up to 21 m.p.h.

Also mentioned is how, after being equipped with an M4, General Sherman's ghost was assigned to the crew. :gonk:

If you want more factually-correct WWII-era cartooning, find stuff by Bill Mauldin, who voluntarily transferred from quartermasters back to the infantry, so he could keep his accuracy (of art and humor) up.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Legwear ain't poo poo but britches and hose

:vince:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

As a side note I think I found my favorite word, Russian for "infantry who ride on tanks" is "tankodesantniki"

loving trilingual word salad, amazing.

I really wish English did compound words sometimes.

The proper English translation is "ablative armor".

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

What are the odds that the snipers aimed at the loophole were just being nice at the moment and took the coin as an opportunity to remind the enemy what they could do if they chose?

"All right you assholes, listen up! We got new orders from Division, no sniping field-grades *period*. Seems if we do it, those guys will as well and our REMFs ain't happy being team target.

"This means *you*, Wisbouwski! Yeah, I've seen your artwork of the Colonel with the bullseye on his crotch, you're lucky he hasn't else you'd be out there clearing mines with your tongue..."

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Now I want a TV show or something where the main character is a 17th century musician who's lute is also his musket.

Il Musicista, starring Antonio Banderas as a lutist who's also an avenging killer.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Polyakov posted:

With the talk about mechanical fire control i thought id try to outline a basic part of how one works by using a targetting problem to illustrate. (Maths ahead, i apologise if it feels patronising, i tried to keep it as accessible as possible)

Using a MFC required first an observer making an estimate of:

1: Range
2: Bearing
3: Speed

2 and 3 together make up a ships course.

{AND THEN A MIRACLE OCCURS}

Hence you now have a direction and a range to shoot that you can derive from data from your observers.

A mechanical firing computer automates all those calculations and generates a constant solution from the data you put in and means that at any point you can get those solutions, the actual way it combines them is explained the US navy training video i linked earlier, each operation is a seperate mechanical component chained together to get you from Input to Output.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

Even if you could drop all the food how would it lead to surrender? I'm imagining "drop food -> ??? -> surrender".

Thousand-bomber raids of max-load B-29s, round-the-clock.

Frozen turkeys.

Lt. General Lester Nessman, USAAF :smug:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Speaking of, here's Admiral Benson.

I dare you not to think of him sounding like Sean Connery.

Why do you have a picture of Sam Elliot there?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

yes he does-- it's under all his posts, same as the rest of the plat-havers

Doesn't show if you're not plat, through.

Besides, he's a mod now, he can communicate through Divine Decree.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Anzio:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Oh hey, MacArthur discussion

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Hey, remember that discussion a while back about a plan to launch V-2s at sea? Someone decided to do something similar!

A quote so understated you'll cry posted:

While USS Midway was still moored at Norfolk, the carrier’s damage control teams practiced all eventualities of what might possibly go wrong. Based on interviews with German personnel secured during the “Paperclip” operation, it was felt that the worst case scenario was what was termed “IFTC” (Ignition with Failure-To-Clear) when the V-2’s engines would successfully start but, for whatever reason, the missile would not generate sufficient thrust to take off, thumping back down onto the launcher and exploding. The Germans said that this happened numerous times during WWII, usually with negative results to nearby structures or personnel.

Anyone who's seen film/video of IFTC V-2 launches is now going :dogstare: at that "negative results" line.

Yeah, that might be a bit negative. If it's true to the Midway's specs, that's 3.5" hardened steel. :aaaaa:

Looks like I'm gonna be pissing away a lot of time on this site...

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Alchenar posted:

To a degree, but the Korean war is where NATO encounters the AK47 as a standard infantry rifle while our guys are all equipped with semi-automatics and realises 'oh gently caress we need to up our game fast'.

No, most of what was encountered was World War Two surplus, just like our poo poo.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I'm familiar with the propensity of anti-aircraft designers to just glue four of an already good gun together, I just... didn't really think anyone would try it with a 40mm bofors gun.

Next you're going to tell me someone built an over-under 88mm.

Next step is Ontos II using eight GAU-8 Avengers. :ork101:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Tias posted:

Since I know we have some military hardware spergs( God bless every one of you!):

I'm wargaming a battle of the Korean war as a Chinese tank commander, and American GIs are having a lot of luck taking out my T34s. The thing is, they camouflage and then destroy the tank with a side or rear hit from M9A1 rifle grenades at ranges up to 150m! I'm not going to pitch a fit over it, but it seems reaching. OTOH, the T-34 is world war 2 tech, perhaps the rifle grenades are just that bit more advanced for the job at hand.

I mean, one tank, sure, but it's three and counting - Does this seem in line with US. Army training and equipment anno the Korean war?

All of the Steel Panthers rebuilds (SP: World At War (Matrix), SPMBT/SPWW2 (Shrapnel)) have sometimes-odd results like this at times, based on my experience. ("Sure, that one Soviet sniper that wasn't spotted or suppressed will assault that Panther going through his hex... and destroy it. And do the same to two other tracks that followed yeah gently caress you game, gently caress you.")(Happened in multiple games, too. SPWW2 :argh:)

Or the SPWAW Barbarossa campaign I tried, where lucky 60mm mortar hits would make a top-turret hit on my PzIIIs and kill 'em dead. :catstare:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
WTF - WWII Dutch shipwrecks disappearing from the Java Sea.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37997640

Diver Vidar Skoglie says that the wrecks were towed to Surabaya and sold as scraps (site in Dutch).

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, but what do the Iraqis/Afghans do with them? Surely they can't keep them all locked up indefinitely, but there's no enemy nation (that they acknowledge) to send them back to, and the conflict's still going, so what do they do with them?

:commissar:

Actually, sometimes that (if they've really pissed someone off), sometimes ransomed out (if someone is willing to pay), sometimes straight-up released (maybe by friends, maybe by the compassionate, I expect more by "I'm sick and tired of looking at this rear end in a top hat"), and occasionally, uh, just kinda forgotten and ignored.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

JcDent posted:

It was apparently from a Hezbollah column that also included T-54s and Kornet missiles on quadbikes.

Someone's been watching The Delta Force a little too much, I see.

Or maybe MegaForce. :awesomelon:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

M113s are cool though, it's a literal crate full of infantry spam in a can.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

When you think about it, theres not a lot the Nazis didn't ruin.

Bagpipes, I guess? Hard to tell if those are already considered ruined or not :v:

Yeah, they would have managed to ruin bagpipes. At some point, some bright boy would have created an armored vehicle for them, probably converting captured Bren Carriers or Goliaths/Kettenkrads or something.

And everyone knows that bagpipes are traditionally an infantry weapon...

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

How does a city with half a million or more people like Leningrad or Aleppo stay besieged for years without everyone running out of food and dying within 3 months or so?

As someone noted, Leningrad had some supply, but nowhere near enough. Otherwise, your population is dropping due to disease/malnutrition/direct enemy action, so over time you need less food anyway. This is after people are eating tree bark/wallpaper paste/zoo or domestic animals/anything and everything, though, so it's still not good. (Can't remember if Leningrad had verifiable cannibalism, or if was just "suspected but we didn't want to look hard enough to prove it".

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Jews practicing taqiyya pretending to be Christian so they wouldn't get pogromed by [local citizenry].

Ninjews :ninja:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ISIS vs the Afrika Corps

Rat Patrol: The Next Generation

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Aside from drum magazines of the time being agonizingly difficult to reload if I remember right, why on earth didn't they issue them for normal use?

The bren has a quick swap barrel and everything, it seems designed for a much higher capacity than it used.

Probably wasn't reliable enough, plus it's easier to haul/swap out 30-round mags on the fly - if something *does* gently caress up with Can'o'Whoopass, you may or may not have a big box of mags as a backup.

Oh hey, just too late for Christmas-truce delivery...

Forgotten Weapons on the drum mag

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Bond 'dies' and is reincarnated as a Japanese person, just like every goons' dream.

"Boo, Wea Boo."

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Hey, don't let the Royal Navy have all the "fun".

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Israel's first fighter planes were surplus Messerschmitts bought from Czechoslovakia.

And you can still find WWII-surplus Mausers with Star of David stamps because they were cheap/easily available and Israel needed guns.

Can't remember if Cyrano4747 had one of those, but IIRC some TFR goon(s) did.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Siivola posted:

So, uh, spears?

Pikettes

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Scrree posted:

At some point a while ago a 1944-era soviet assault troop manual was posted here, and the main takeaway I got from it was 'grenade every building, grenade every floor of every building, grenade every room of every floor of every building - a grenade is far cheaper than your life!' which I think shows a lot about how terrifying and cumbersome city clearing must have been.

When in doubt, grenade it out!

Words to live kill other people by.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

We've got better gunpowder and stronger guns than they did. I expect Cyrano or somebody can provide actual numbers for a cap-and-ball revolver vs a new 1911, but modern guns can reach higher chamber pressures than the old timers could, which translates to higher velocities and powers.

Pretty much this. Metallurgy (of weapon, projectile and casing) and propellant advances make for sometimes-startling improvements in performance - I have "vintage" (IE, antique) ammo in one particular obsolete handgun caliber that is significantly more piddly than even the not-quite-antique box, and that's (IMO) still perceivably weaker than recent-production examples.

(:clint: .38 S&W, not Special, fired from a 1943-dated Webley Mk IV. "Vintage" is a mixed bag of crusty old pre-WWII manufacture, possibly pre-WWI. :ohdear: Next is early '60s Kynoch .380" Mk IIz, Indian manufacture. The last batch is PPU, don't have the boxes handy but I'm fairly certain they're post-2000. :clint:)

e:f,b but fuckit.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Looks chunky enough that it could load an actual handgun cartridge. Do a hand load with a super high-weight-bullet/low propellant load, market it as a functioning replica.

Argh, the page from some pre-WWII article on a miniature (.22 caliber?) artillery piece for training purposes isn't coming up quickly in Google. :(

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:words:

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Puma puma Puma puma puma puma Puma puma

:v:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Skoal
Kodiak
Cope

You know, dip

You mean "chaw".

:clint:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I've had some pretty powerful flashlights shone in my face because youth and stupidity, and we're probably talking 2000~ and less lumens and they leave spots in your eyes for a few minutes at least. Obviously, depends on exposure and proximity to the light source so it depends.

I'd imagine that if it went off next to you and you were looking right at it, you'd be temporarily blinded at the very least.

Ahhh, you'd hardly notice it, what with being :supaburn: and all.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

everyone who lives does, the unlucky ones are dead

Maybe he meant "dude got laid more than naval minefields"? :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Re: reconchat, for a while towards the end of the cold war the Bundeswehr went gently caress it and decided that it would be conducting its recon with Leopard 2s. Not sure what that was about.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzeraufkl%C3%A4rungstruppe_(Bundeswehr)

Well, it does cut out the added delay between finding the enemy and bringing up forces to fight them.

Heavy Sturm Reconnaissance Brigade, yo! :black101:

Scouting Through Superior Firepower