Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh right yeah, Chillbro Baggins was originally in the market for a Scots sword. I meant there weren't a lot of companies making 1796 light cavs. I think Armour Class makes fine basket hilts?

Comedy answer: http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=501563

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Better hope that nobody cuts the parachute straps like that grunt did to a bunch of hummvees
:stare: Go on.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I enjoyed Dan Jones's Templars.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just to add on that, here's a video Tod going down to the nitty gritty of bow power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdB470lo6nM

A .22LR round packs more energy than any of the bows tested.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEMA people tend to hang in the fencing thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693186

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Has anyone read Orlando Figes's Crimea? Audible keeps giving me credits and I like listening to history.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Biffmotron posted:

I read it and liked it. I'm not an expert on the period, but Figes does a solid job presenting the Great Power politics of the mid-19th century, and the way that the state of the Ottoman Empire turned into a war between Russia, Britain, and France. He's less good on the actual military history, but then the Crimean War was such an omnishambles its not easy to write great military history about it.
Thanks, that might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It looks like someone built some kind of modernist mosque on a submarine.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm currently five pages behind on the thread, but which series is this? Sounds mad.
Sounds like Crest of the Stars.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The phalanx doesn't have musketeers hiding in it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Molon Laboo

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I tried to find out what the original word for "If. :agesilaus:" was, until I realized absolutely nobody would actually get it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Equipping soldiers with both pikes and armour costs money, is my guess.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

remember how heavy your pike was? now do that wearing a breastplate and backplate
The plates are going to fit poorly and hang entirely on my shoulders, aren't they?
:negative:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fangz posted:

A simple cuirass is surely much less expensive than earlier plate armour? You are less concerned about leaving gaps that might be exploited by a melee opponent, and adding points of articulation - what you have is a lot closer to a slab of metal.
Compare the civil war era armour on the left to the armour of Christian I, some decades earlier:

The basic shape of the breastplate has remained the same, Christian's armour just includes more bits.

So in a sense you're correct that the cuirass alone is cheaper, but that's only because you're not buying all the extras.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Instead of getting the Crimea audiobook, I instead got Killers of the King. (The titular king being Charles I of England and Scotland.) I've been listening it for a bit now and the New Model Army's Irish escapades sound kind of, um, horrifyingly brutal. :stare: Am I just naive or is beating a surrendering officer to death with their own prosthetic leg a bit much even by 17th century standards?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Florence Nightingale

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

poisonpill posted:

So this is almost troll-level simplistic but I assure you it’s a real question: is the difference between light and heavy infantry/cavalry just the amount of armor worn? Would the only reason you not field all heavy X instead of light X be cost to field, or were there different tactical reasons to use different troops?
When?

At least in some militaries right now, the difference between light and regular infantry is the amount of vehicles used to support the dudes. Finnish sissi troops for instance ditch almost everything larger than an ATV or a snowmobile, and as a result can operate away from road networks, which is handy when basically everything between Finland and Yellow State is densely forested and roads are sparse. But that also means they have to hump everything they need on their back, which means a lot of grumbling and also no room for body armour or fancy weapons.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/jellevanlottum/status/1034160802041917445

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

JcDent posted:

Ever so slowly, we're inching back towards separating tanks into infantry tanks and cruiser tanks :v:
Germany's already gone back to tankettes!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Post-war research showed that only a fraction of the men ever thrusted their pike at the enemy with the intent to kill.
You joke, but that's literally a thing people believe.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Military History Mk. IV: A Good Piking

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tias posted:

- At what point did sapping start coming into use? I recently saw Stronghold, and it would have me believe peeps straight up warmed a gigantic pig fat bonfire under castles to collapse them.
Happened at Rochester Castle in the early 13th century. I'm guessing the sappers had propped their tunnels up with very beefy timbers since they had to, y'know, support an entire corner of a castle and all. The pig fat would have been to make the fires burn hotter to make sure the timbers burn through. But that's just a guess.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I quit Spec Ops because the main character steers so poorly.

Does that mean I beat the game?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Who's going to pay for this well-constructed armour?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's 100% groovy, but it looks more "sixties psychedelia" than "modern action movie".

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

*posts Bolt Thrower's entire discography*
Actually yeah y'all should listen to Bolt Thrower right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wRTxBhqNuY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

if you find out why 16th/17th c asian muskets look graceful and forwrd-leaning but western muskets look like furniture, let me know
Some random Japanese musketeer claims Japanese guns' stocks are as they are to make them easier to use in armour. Instead of bracing it on your shoulder, you lean it against your face: http://budojapan.com/feature-articles/fire/

I like how the trigger is positioned waaay back so you can actually aim down the barrel without having your face right above the flash pan.