Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Sounds like this

If it wasn't such a lovely outrage-bait kind of story, I would almost feel bad for the amount of scorn and mockery whoever wrote this probably received. But it's probably a tabloid, so they deserve whatever they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GAL posted:

deceiving your enemy is fine (Wallenstein at Nassau Bridge), ambushing them or attempting to ambush them (GA at Luetzen) is fine, attacking from the back is fine (Baner at Wittstock), refusing to take prisoners is a little sketch but not unheard of (Frankfurt-Oder, the battle one of Piccolomini's sons died after). You do what you can to win, they're not robots, like the way weebs think about bushido.

Yeah, this is a big myth about late medieval warfare too. People are somehow under the impression that knights wouldn't utilize missile weapons (why did they spend so much money on all these crossbowmen then?) or that they wouldn't ambush enemies. One big thing I hate is the idea that the custom of capturing people for ransom somehow was a lesser form of warfare. No, a lot of the time, people need to get their asses beaten pretty hard in order to convince them to surrender. There's a lot of guys who get captured just because they're too wounded to keep fighting. Not exactly a bloodless affair.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
Does anyone know what these light cavalry hats/helmets are called?

I think I've seen British light infantry companies wearing these too, and something similar from an American revolutionary cavalry unit (I think Maryland Dragoons, maybe?). Was this an official "light" horse/foot piece of headgear, or am I wrong that it was primarily associated with light units?

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Disinterested posted:

I thought of D when I saw it.

Thanks for the pic (and SeanBeansShako's input as well). I've been taking more of an interest in late 18th century and early 19th European stuff recently. The amount of uniform variation between units in the same army is incredible. How much leeway did a colonel have in determining his own regiment's uniforms? Were there broad guidelines he had to stick with? I'm assuming that you would be restricted from issuing grenadier caps to regular line infantry, but what about stuff like those Mamluk-inspired uniforms that I think some of Napoleon's cavalry started to adopt? European Orientalist trends are really fascinating to me. You find these influences in the oddest of places sometimes.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Owlkill posted:

Sorry to bring something up from a couple of pages back but I've seen this referred to as a Tarleton, I think. Currently reading Mark Urban's Fusiliers, about a British fusilier regiment in the revolutionary war, and he discusses how one of the British generals (Howe, I think) brought in uniform reforms for the light infantry, one of which was the replacement of the tricorn with a "leather cap", I think the idea behind it is it makes moving around/handling your weapon (hurhur) a lot easier than the tricorn that was the norm for British line infantry at the time. I've seen headgear that spans the gamut from being very similar to what you posted but with a small peak right up to ones that look like a smaller version of the grenadier's mitre. Also, for some reason the light infantry at the time were nicknamed the "light bobs".

Here, have a pic:

Thank you, that's good info. I wonder if there was also an element of extra protection to the leather caps. Those caps probably weren't too thick, but it seems like even thin leather would make for better protection than a basic felt tricorn. Was this more or less a British thing? I know that the British developed their light infantry units in response to the pressures of the French and Indian War, which makes me wonder how much of an impact American colonial war had on the British army as a whole. Were British officers in India looking to the American experience? I'm rambling a bit because I changed my MA thesis topic to 19th century British colonial warfare. So I'll be asking lots of questions in here about the late 18th century British army over the next month or so.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

aldantefax posted:

Medieval/ancient history:

Has there ever been a time in history where close combat infantry with melee weapons (I'm thinking swords and other weapons of the sort) were the primary factor in deciding victory as opposed to cavalry, pikemen, archers/artillery/riflemen)? I'm referring to dudes getting in the mix with their arming swords and maces and what not making a sizeable difference. I always considered this type of infantry to be more of a screen to prevent other less armored or mobile targets from getting overrun immediately or to buy time to set up a charge, but I'd like to read about the exceptions.

You're not really going to be able to create distinct categories like this in most of the medieval period. You didn't necessarily have one block of men-at-arms that you labeled the spear guy unit while another block was the designated sword dude battalion. There were organized units, but they weren't distinguished from each other by whether they carried poleaxes or shortened lances. Even archers and people like that with specialized roles would join in the hand-to-hand fighting sometimes. English archers in the Hundred Years War put down their bows and used close combat weapons to help flank the enemy. In Flemish militia groups, pikemen were accompanied by dudes with swords and goedendags/maces. Most sources describing medieval battles mention a huge variety of weapons being used and soldiers routinely carried multiple weapons. The idea that medieval warfare was dominated by cavalry has been pretty thoroughly debunked by now.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

aldantefax posted:

Would that mean that the shield (and the formation dependent on it) is more important than the sword? I know for the Roman shield wall the gladius was designed around the scutum. Or, am I getting that backwards as well? Not actually sure.

I'm not sure where the need to separate these things comes from or what the utility of doing so is. It's not like anyone was fielding armies of men holding up shields without any weapons. These things go together. Medieval people generally weren't as obsessed with quantifying each individual component of your gear the way we do today. The shield and lance (or whatever other weapons) go together. You're not going to come to the muster with just your shield.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

P-Mack posted:

Please explain what "teleology" means for those of us in the cheap seats, thank you.

Teleology, in history, is the idea that history has some definite "purpose" or end-state that we're advancing to. A common example is Whig history, which is the idea that Anglo-style liberal democracy is the best thing ever and all of history is just a progression to that point. Generally dismissed and frowned upon nowadays in the academy, but it's still common to see people talk about history like it's just a big game of civilization. You see this sometimes when people ask why Africa hasn't "advanced" or dumb poo poo like that.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
Isn't the actual utility of chemical weapons kind of debatable? From what I understand, they're more effective if you have a fairly static situation like most of the Western Front and not useful otherwise. So it wasn't so much a "chemical weapons are too horrifying to be used" thing it was "what would be the point of dropping a chemical shell instead of high explosives?"

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

The wifey-poo and I were talking about Game of Thrones last night and we were trying to figure out if it mimics one specific era of time. It seems like it borrows from middle ages all the way up through the Renaissance.

The pieces we could identify were:

Kingdoms rather than more modern democracy
Standing, professional armies seem to be a thing
No gunpowder
Writing/reading is a valued trait and knowledge is preserved in libraries
Castles have more modern designs (for newer ones), but not to the level of star forts

Game of Thrones is sort of based on the wars of the roses (or at least a wikipedia article about it), but it's like most fantasy books in the sense that its setting is a weird mash-up of Pop History's Greatest Hits. So you have the Renaissance Italian city-state knockoffs, your vague blend of English and French culture as the main group, your Mongol stereotypes, and your heavy metal album cover vikings. You're not really going to be able to nail it down specifically beyond that.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

"Near catastrophic retreat and concession of all gained ground along with majority of materiel" is not quite what I'd call a rally.

It really is odd that it's quite so lionized.

Someone already mentioned the Alamo, but an even better example is Thermopylae. Big defeat that didn't accomplish anything, but it's been taught for hundreds of years as an amazing story of "Western civilization."

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

I love all of the statues of William Wallace that just copy the movie. Celebrate your nation by commemorating the time an Australian wiped his rear end with your history in order to make a movie that's mostly about Mel Gibson fellating himself.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

I thought both the Alamo and Thermopylae were supposed to be tactical victories, with the defenders exacting a disproportionate price for what the attackers gained.

In theory you could argue that, but neither seem to have much of a real effect on the subsequent course of the war. Santa Ana's army still outnumbered the Texans by a huge amount, and he eventually lost at San Jacinto due to his own incompetence and poor reconnaissance. The Persians were still marching around Greece, burning cities to the ground (including Athens) and had enough men to put up a pretty hard fight at Plataea a year after Thermopylae, so clearly whatever casualties the Greeks inflicted there couldn't have been too devastating. "Ah, but they inflicted disproportionate casualties!' always seemed like a bit of a cop-out to me in terms of explaining the importance of the Alamo/Thermopylae. Defenders should inflict disproportionate casualties on their attackers, but that doesn't mean we should count them as strategic victories.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

my dad posted:

I thought the big deal about Thermopilae was that it kept the Greek coalition from falling apart because it was a big glowing "Yes, we really will fight to the bitter end for your sake" sign from one of the two major coalition leaders. Was I misinformed?

Herodotus (who to my knowledge is the only major text we have on this campaign) says that wasn't the case. When the Persians were advancing towards Athens to take the city after Thermopylae, they were hoping that the other Greek land forces would come take the fight to the Persians in Boeotia, but the Peloponnesians hosed off back to their more defensible region and built a big wall. They didn't totally abandon the Athenians (the combined Greek fleet assembled at Salamis near the fleeing Athenians), but there doesn't seem to be a great show of Greek unity because of Thermopylae. All of these explanations for why Thermopylae deserves to be seen as a "great battle of history" seem like a real stretch without much actual evidence to show for it. i think the real reason we still talk about it is that the Spartans used it for later propaganda efforts and then it was picked up by later European cultures when they started getting on a real kick about the origins of "western civilization."

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Professor Shark posted:

I just assumed they did it based on movies, I thought it was a way of making sure injured soldier didn't make their way back to the enemy

In general, premodern battle was much more about making the enemy break and run than killing every single one of them. Wounded dudes were definitely killed sometimes, but there wasn't really a systematic way of doing so. Some wounded soldiers would be killed during the battle itself (this famously happened at Crecy), some would be killed as they fled during the rout, and others would be killed later on by the enemy or scavenging locals while the field was looted.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

P-Mack posted:

Especially if you are cutting from the wrist without solid structure. I remember we had a cool post a while back about British officers duelling locals in India and the different cutting techniques leading to very different outcomes upon contact.

Yeah, that was mine. Clothing also presented some issues to British soldiers in India. Quite a few Indian soldiers would wear quilted cotton jackets (sort of like a gambeson, I guess) and there's a lot of complaints about how hard they are to cut/stab through. There's also some issues with turbans/head wraps deflecting blows aimed at the head.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

SimonCat posted:

Supposedly the quilted jackets the Chinese wore in the Korean War were enough to stop US .30 carbine rounds.

This one I don't actually believe. I think it's much more likely that American soldiers were just missing or not getting good shots off in the panic of combat, then blamed their equipment later on.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Alchenar posted:

I think Richard Holmes said that there was a massive debate in British Cavalry about whether a foreswing or a backswing or thrust was best and they couldn't quite work out why they were doing so badly and it seems the real reason was they were all incredibly lazy and didn't ever bother to sharpen their swords.

Well, it's not necessarily that they were all lazy. They didn't sharpen their swords until they were actually going to go on a campaign. If you're going to India to fight, there's no point in sharpening your sword until you're close to action because it's just going to get banged around in the scabbard anyways. You'll see references to a sword being "service sharpened" sometimes in preparation for actually going to fight. Undoubtedly there were plenty of lazy officers/troopers who were idiots and didn't bother even then, but there's also some descriptions of British cavalrymen sharpening their sabers between every engagement during the Mutiny. Later on, there's some experimentation with scabbards to use wooden linings in the metal ones or leather scabbards for Indian service.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's crazy how much naval combat was changed by guns. It's really exemplified when you read accounts of Portuguese ships rolling around to Asia, getting involved in a fight, and then just annihilating everything because their adversaries still are trying simple crash and boarding tactics.

The Portuguese didn't have it all their own way, though. The Omanis threw them out of Oman in the 1600s and then captured a bunch of Portuguese possessions on the east coast of Africa, like Zanzibar. Some of the real colonial dominance and absolute military superiority only started to occur in the late 18th century and afterwards.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
Edit: double posted for some reason

Grenrow fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 5, 2017

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

bewbies posted:

I've had to untangle the stuff from under heavy trucks and that is an absolute nightmare.

This sounds like one of the worst jobs on the planet outside of a sweatshop or a meat packing plant.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Ol' Kaiser Bill really had issues with tact, didn't he?

Yeah, you can't really blame British propagandists for running with something you said yourself. It's more of an own goal than propaganda at that point.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

SeanBeansShako posted:

Now imagine doing that in Asian or African climates.

Just think of the Sikh Army seeing all this happening and wondering 'what in the gently caress?'?

Going back a bit, but this pretty much was the case. Even British officers in Indian campaigns (especially in the cavalry) wrote about how nimble Indian warriors were compared to their British counterparts. There's a lot of descriptions of Indian swordsmen in combat as being really quick, dancing, or "leaping about." Some cavalry officers suggested changing their uniforms and equipment to be more like what Indian soldiers wore so that they could move and fight just as easily. Of course, others said that the Indians moving around so much was a sign of them being terrible swordsmen who didn't understand proper fencing technique, so there's a range of opinions there.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
The turnaround this thread has had from sucking the ghostly white supremacist dick of Nathan Bedford Forrest to raging out about Cromwell is weird. I guess Cromwell should have said some token nice things about how the Irish are kind of okay, actually right before he dropped dead, then people would suddenly view him as a great guy all along.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GAIL posted:

also the terrible nutrition wasn't every place and time in the past but only certain ones (large cities in england during the first half of the 19th century, western europe during the early 17th century, etc). it's entirely possible that your elite bowmen had been well fed during their childhoods, allowing them to grow up into the kind of barrel chested hulks that this job required

I was about to say this myself. Nutrition wasn't going to be a huge issue for a lot of English archers during the HYW (at least in terms of getting calories, not saying they were eating kale and quinoa after a day at the archery butts). A lot of those guys were from the elite of the non-aristocracy. Their parents were more likely to be skilled tradesmen or some kind of small landowners than the stereotypical commoner. A good number of professional/semi-professional English archers were coming from families who had an older son that they could afford to equip as a man-at-arms, but weren't rich enough to buy armor for the younger son or other male family members. The younger son/cousin would work as an archer for a while until he could raise the money to buy a full harness and get a contract for service as a man-at-arms. So these families weren't super rich, but they also weren't hurting to put food on the table.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Disinterested posted:

And much like the crossbow it devalues men on horses in expensive armour who train in murder for a lifetime.

This isn't true at all. Where does this bullshit myth even come from? Crossbows existed for hundreds of years alongside dudes with arm and they didn't change jack poo poo about the social system.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Disinterested posted:

Who was talking about the social system?

Like Gnoman said, that's always the second part of the myth. But in case you'd rather be a pedant: the existence of the crossbow did nothing to devalue the existence of armored men on horseback.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Ardent Communist posted:

Selling grain whilst some ukrainians starved does suck, but it wasn't because Stalin personally hated ukrainians, but because they needed the capital to modernize. I think it's easy to be critical of that, but remember that that country played the biggest role in defeating fascism, sacrificing millions of lives in a war of extermination.

"some Ukranians"

You know, "some Ukranians," just a few million or so. What's millions of dead people between friends?

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Do you mean the real-life person, or how he was depicted in the show? In the miniseries, Sobel is clearly a very effective instructor. He drives them hard and they hate him, but they rise to his challenge and develop as soldiers under his instruction. To the extent of preparing the men for action, he is as responsible for their survival and success in combat as any character on the show. At the same time, he's not really competent to command them in the field. He's indecisive, he doesn't understand maneuver, he can't read maps, etc. The show gives the character a lot of credit as an instructor but none as a leader of men.

IRL, I don't know. The miniseries follows Stephen Ambrose's book pretty closely, and that was all based on first-person interviews, after-action reports, and so forth. I did not read the book; I did watch the series; I don't know how factual any of it is. I will point out one thing I definitely noticed the show failing to seriously address: Sobel was Jewish. I can't believe that his background didn't have a significant effect on his relationship with people above and below him in the chain of command, particularly given the elite nature of airborne troops. For example, maybe the soldiers that Ambrose interviewed all said that he was an unlikable martinet, and refused to serve under him, mainly because they resented taking orders from a Jew, and they later found reasons to justify it. It isn't at all implausible, given the default level of antisemitism of American society in the 1940s.

I don't have the specifics on this, but from what I recall, Ambrose's interviews with people were often fairly selective and he didn't really bother to contextualize those interviews or put much legwork into critically analyzing what people told him. So while some parts of it might reflect views guys actually had, it's questionable whether those perceptions really match the reality of the situation.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Hazzard posted:

Some interesting facts I learnt. In the 19th century British Army, before some reforms, Officers would use any blade they wanted, as long as it had a regulation hilt. This went as far as one officer attaching a 17th century Spanish Rapier hilt to his saber guard. I'm sure Hey Gal will be simultaneously thrilled and horrified to hear it.

Naval officers really liked broadsword blades, we don't know why.

And apparently the Rebel Yell from the American Civil War came from the Highland Cry, which was used in the Jacobite Wars. Can somebody tell me the significance of the Rebel Yell?

Officers actually continued to get their own custom swords throughout the 19th century as well. Remember, officers had to supply all their own equipment. So even though there were plenty of officers who would just go buy the regulation pattern for whatever unit they were in, officers who were more into fencing or had experience fighting in other conflicts (especially in colonial combat in India) would get custom weapons that were often quite different from the regulation pattern. I've seen Wilkinsons that kinda looked like sidesword blades on a saber guard and swords that were made longer and thinner to the point of looking like a rapier. I think establishing the regulation patterns cut down a lot of the sheer diversity of what swords officers would carry, but there was still plenty of customization going on and there weren't any formal prohibitions against it.

EDIT: forgot to mention, supposedly the Rebel Yell was like this fierce war cry that everyone was afraid of. Personally, I have serious doubts that this was really "a thing," given the extensive mythologization of the confederate army. I am extremely suspicious of any supposed links to Scotland, because there's nothing people like more than saying dumb poo poo about the Scottish highlands.

Grenrow fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 20, 2017

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Hazzard posted:

The thing that seemed weird to me about the rapier example, is the blade and hilt seemed like such a mismatch. I think of Rapiers as having very long blades, which doesn't fit my image of a 19th century officer.

Having done taken part in a 30 on 30 melee fight, I suppose representing a scaled down encounter on a battlefield. I don't think it's specifically the yell itself that would scare people, but such an unusual noise, possibly piercing above the general sound of clashing steel and yelling, might instill a fear in someone.

I had a brief readthrough of the wikipedia page and it struck me as something that was more to do with motivating the soldiers doing it. You're making a noise, the men next to you are making a noise. You're all making a noise together and that's something unifying as you charge the enemy.

To use a different example. I think it's very difficult for people to imagine the fear you'd get from an enemy cavalry charge, with many people severely overestimating how easy it is to stay still when you see people running at you. In the melee I keep harkening back to, when it seemed like the whole enemy team was running at us, many people started stepping backwards, with a minority running forwards towards the enemy to meet them.

And this is without anyone even consciously thinking they were going to die, but the animal brain in all of us starts thinking it's life or death. At the beginning of the exercise, we were told to wear light protection, because this was about group tactics and we should pull our blows. Everyone after the first encounter put on as much protective kit as they could, because in the thick of it, we all forgot to pull our blows.

It's not that I doubt that Southern soldiers ever did some kind of war cry, I just don't think it was anything more than the normal concept of soldiers screaming or shouting in a fight. The idea that there was this distinctively blood-curdling yell that Confederate soldiers did which was uniquely terrifying to Yankees strikes me as nonsensical. Seems like a lot of the evidence for it is like, senile old Confederate veterans talking decades after the war (and following decades of Lost Cause mythology being pushed all across the South). Are there accounts of a distinctive war cry being used by Southern units in the Mexican-American War? Seems to me like there ought to be some accounts of this tradition before or after the Civil War, if it was such a well-known tradition.

It kinda reminds me of the bullshit "highland charge" thing. Oh, you mean this special tactic of...troops with hand weapons advancing very quickly towards their opponent? This is such a unique and special tactic that it requires its own name? This dude made a whole career of advancing that kind of mythology.

Grady McWhiney posted:

McWhiney and Forrest McDonald were the authors of the "Celtic Thesis," which holds that most Southerners were of Celtic ancestry (as opposed to Anglo-Saxon), and that all groups he declared to be "Celtic" (Scots-Irish, Irish, Scottish, Welsh and Cornish) were descended from warlike herdsmen, in contrast to the peaceful farmers who predominated in England. They attempted to trace numerous ways in which the Celtic culture shaped social, economic and military behavior. For example, they demonstrated that livestock raising (especially of cattle and hogs) developed a more individualistic, militant society than tilling the soil.

Attack and Die stressed the ferocity of the Celtic warrior tradition. In "Continuity in Celtic Warfare." (1981) McWhiney argues that an analysis of Celtic warfare from 225 BC to 1865 demonstrates cultural continuity. The Celts repeatedly took high risks that resulted in lost battles and lost wars. Celts were not self-disciplined, patient, or tenacious. They fought boldly but recklessly in the battles of Telamon (225 BC), Culloden (1746) and Gettysburg (1863). According to their thesis, the South lost the Civil War because Southerners fought like their Celtic ancestors, who were intensely loyal to their leaders but lacked efficiency, perseverance, and foresight.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

the JJ posted:

It's pretty well attested to in contemporary letters home and the like, and survivors commentaries afterward. I think it's good to be suspicious of Lost Cause historiography, but generally that suits going to happen on the level of interpretation, not fabrication, if that makes sense.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/history/what-did-the-rebel-yell-sound-like/

But I am talking about interpretation, not fabrication. Interpreting "soldiers doing a war cry to get hyped up and scare the enemy as they move forward" as some kind of distinctive Southern tradition is taking a common military thing and turning it into something so unique people are speculating about whether they got it from the Jacobites. Most of these sources I'm looking at about it are from people decades after the fact. It seems like any times Southern soldiers ever shouted, cheered, or whooped, it gets elevated and described as "The Rebel Yell," which is supposedly a singular tradition that was known and performed all across the disparate regions that made up the Confederacy. Again, I'm not trying to argue that there were no Southern war cries or that you can't find civil war accounts of Union troops saying "we were scared when the enemy was yelling at us." But these sources alleging that it's this completely unique thing are all looking like poo poo written or recorded decades after the fact. That video you posted is from the 1930s. Those guys are at least in their seventies by the time this video was made.

Looking at some of the guys on the wikipedia page about it is pretty hilarious. They have some dude named S. Waite Rawls from a Confederate museum talking about it, who has this to say about the Confederacy.

Some fucker posted:

The other thing is to convince the general public that the Confederacy and racism are not synonymous terms. In the past 25 years the general public has been putting those two together. When they come here, we tend to open their eyes.

I look at the virtue, the courage, the self-sacrifice of the typical Confederate soldier as inspiring and uplifting. And trying to cram that person into a pigeonhole of racism is just completely wrong.

The same fucker posted:

The association of the Confederacy with racism “is a new phenomenon, and it’s a phenomenon that will pass,” he said.

Who could have imagined that the Confederate south might be linked to racism? What a crazy recent phenomenon! This is definitely a guy to trust when talking about Confederate history.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Holy crap this is one of the biggest piles of poo poo I've ever read about the Civil War including the Lost Cause.

Imagine living in an era where you could write hack garbage nonsense like this and not only become a professional historian, but a famous and well-respected one.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

"We've always done it that way" is a thing that crops up repeatedly in military history and often requires a resounding massacre of the people who always did it that way by the people who do it the new way before people catch on.

I don't think this is really true. Maybe that's more of a thing in the modern era, but I know that at least in medieval military historiography, the idea of This One Weird Trick For Victory, Knights Hate It has been pretty thoroughly discredited and thrown out the window. The stereotype of the hidebound medieval aristocrat who will not abandon traditional ways of warfare and is punished for his arrogance is pretty much a myth. It's always very convenient to claim that you are a heroic innovator and that anyone opposed to your ideas is merely a stodgy old fool, but I think it's just as often that massive structural forces shape military efforts in particular ways and it's very difficult to alter that quickly or easily.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

bewbies posted:

So, can you fix your priceless katana/rapier/broadsword in most cases? I guess I don't really have a very good handle on how often they were used and how fragile they were/weren't.

I mean, all weapons were to some degree disposable, if you're actually fighting with them If you're cutting/stabbing into bone and parrying other weapons and hitting armor, then that poo poo's gonna break (or at the very least, get blunted) at some point. But you had to do what you had to do. Your sword breaking isn't a big deal as long as the other guy is dead and you're still standing. Sometimes you might have to drop your sword or throw it at someone so you can get away. poo poo happens.

If you were a super wealthy aristocrat, then the issue of paying for expensive swords wasn't a problem for you. If you were a poorer soldier, then you probably weren't using a very expensive blade to begin with. Prices for various weapons also vary quite a bit depending on the time/place. A decent sword in 780 AD is probably much more expensive (relatively speaking) than a sword in 1450. By the later middle ages, you could pick up a cheap/used sword for a few pence. Even the price of a pretty good sword is basically nothing compared to the price of armor and horses.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GUNS posted:

the sword ma guy would know, genrow?

Yeah, most 19th century cavalry sabres were issued blunt and only got sharpened before actual deployment to a war zone (or to India/Africa), partly because it would just be unnecessary grinding on the blade to be sharpened if you were just loving about on parade back in London but also because many (most/almost all?) would have metal scabbards that would blunt the poo poo out of the blade as you rode around. But it's a myth that soldiers didn't sharpen their swords or didn't need to. If civil war Americans were loving around with unsharpened sabres, I would guess that it has more to do with them being really inexperienced with blades and not being instructed by anyone who actually knows something about swords. British cavalry units in India would sometimes just have the local village blacksmith guy sharpen all of their swords before/after a fight, especially during poo poo like the Mutiny.

That has more to do with the peculiarities of 19th century gear and military life, though. I wouldn't extrapolate that to any other eras where swords were more common, especially not medieval soldiers/Heygal's rowdy boys. Those guys were more dependent on swords in general combat, plus they were living in societies where you'd just be wearing a sword as a daily thing and you might end up using it for general self defense and/or thuggery purposes. Look at Chaucer, the sword/buckler combo was like Ye Olde Shotgun above the fireplace back in 14th century England. Those guys definitely knew the value of a sharp blade vs a dull one.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GUNS posted:

and at that time the inside of a scabbard was wood/wood lined with rabbit fur/jacked leather/recycled medieval parchment (in at least one case)

Yeah, some 19th century Brits said that the metal scabbards were lovely and went for wood-lined leather like in the good ol' days. I've never seen any figures for how popular those were, but they were called "campaign" or "field" scabbards so there at least seems to be a general acknowledgement that they were better for combat service. Although one downside to those that your dudes probably did not have is that apparently the wood could swell up and cause problems in a particularly humid environment.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Kanine posted:

cool how nobody actually said anything about the contents of the passage

Would you like to advance some kind of actual argument, or are you just going to passive-aggressively whine when no one reads your out of context screencaps?

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

GotLag posted:

Also, wearing white clothes parades the fact that you're incapable of doing honest work.

Not always true. White is the traditional color of Korean peasant clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Phobophilia posted:

Fraternization across lines probably has a longer history pre-rise of the modern state, considering how easy it is to serve multiple masters, and the fluid level of loyalties. Like it would probably get clamped down in a siege, but in a melee you might try to avoid stabbing the dude you know, or if two foraging parties run into one another.

Not necessarily. Loyalties could shift, but medieval soldiers, even aristocrats who knew each other, were perfectly happy to hack each other down in the melee or in a forage skirmish. Fights between foragers got incredibly nasty, because you often had such small numbers on each side, you couldn't just flee and hope to outrun most of your buddies like in a big battle.