Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Down with the goon guild. let me know when its ready Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Tempus had 16,000 gold removed from his account because he sold a book with a misleading title, if anyone has any spare gold, I could definitely use it towards starting the guild up. Only have about 6,000 out of the necessary 25,000

I got like 5k sitting around doing nothing right now, ill pitch in 3k.

Also: Have you thought of a guild name yet. Ye Olde Goonsquad sounds good..

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Tempus Thales and Dandy Walken i added you guys to my friends list.

Im still playing this and still havent decided if its a game i want to keep on my hard drive..

Also: theres no mail system? Or am i just missing something.

e: name is Gallagher.

double edit: Nope no in game mail system. :sigh:

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 7, 2016

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

Kobolds have been decent experience but their loot is crappy. Just rusty and kobold hammers that weigh a lot and don't sell well.

Well if you kill a bunch of em and sell the loot it adds up quite nicely.

The gold that is..

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

Can you buy (from NPCs) stuff that is better than the armor and weapons you get from pledge rewards? Like Royal Founder, Founder stuff. I haven't actually found a use for gold yet...

... except for repair kits. Where can I get some in the Hidden Valley area?

I bought a nice set of armor (plate) and a copper sword and triangle shield from a vendor. Have no idea what the Royal Founder equipment is like.

Has anyone here rolled full on mage or wizard or something. just wondering what the magic is like here.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

As of right now its possible to max out every skill but it would take ages and ages. When you complete quests or kill a monster, you get experience added to your experience pool. Every time you use a skill, it draws from that pool. Higher level skills either draw more experience or take more experience to raise a level, or both. So if you had no experience in your pool, you can swing your sword all you want, you won't raise your skill in it.

I just noticed that just auto attacking (not using any skills AT ALL) takes away from your pool.
I kinda find that really lame.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

Isn't it raising your innate weapon skills? Like weapon damage, weapon speed, weapon crit rate, etc.? Those are glyphs for the weapon skill trees.

I think your right. Im trying to train for a stealth like character. Can always use more pool points.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

jabro posted:

You know how a lot of people say what they miss in the MMOs today is the community aspect that old school UO had? You're basically playing with the people that made all that possible back in the day.

Agree with this alot.

The game has about another year or two before its really done (HI LUM TELL RICHARD TO PLEASE WORK ON THE COMBAT CAUSE ITS TERRIBLE), but the people are usually cool and will help you out.

Most people ive spoken to in the past 2 weeks get frustrated over the lack of working quests, no mail system and no in game map. Also the schedules of the npc's throws alotta people off (they sleep at night and work whenever they decide to wake up). Nothing like riding into town to try to sell something and the npc is asleep and wont get up.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Lum_ posted:

I said that and got flamed so I won't say that!

He's 100% on story since we kind of need one. Which means that he basically yells at me since I do a lot of the implementation. Our offices are next to each other and I've joked that we're going to put in a glass window in the wall so he can just open it up and yell at me directly.

(refer back to not being done yet)

That's all Richard bringing you that 1999 feeling. Hey, it took a lot to get 1999 instead of 1985 (the conversation system is still 1991ish but we're hoping to bump it a few years soon)

Im not being a jerk or anything but this is what i dont understand. You guys have been writing/coding getting lots of money for over *2 YEARS*. How the hell is the writing part of the game NOT done. Why is the combat still hilariously terrible and the game still runs like garbage?(unoptimized)

Im not sure how big your team is, but thats alot of time and ALOT of money to NOT to have a few basic things ready.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 10, 2016

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

idk why there can't be a button that's just a hotkey for opening the local map if it's in my inventory. I'm learning a new alphabet for you, meet me halfway

Its alotta fun to not be able to read city maps.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Lum_ posted:

Most games take longer than 2 years to complete with larger teams and budgets.

Ouch, your right. I forgot about how long it took WOW and ESO etc.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

A lot of people have skewed perspectives on these games, most MMOs are in development between 5-7 years. It has only been three and a half years.

I'll give it a bit more time and to be fair, Shroud of the Avatar deserves that considering how much I've seen changed between a single monthly release.

You still playing this? I never see you on, unless the friends list thing is broken again :(

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Took a bit of advice from Karl Pilkington, better to live in the hole looking at the palace than live in the palace looking at the hole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4gruB3lH6g

Two properties down from the town square with the bank/all the shops in Estgard. Across from a city lot. Might look cool once it's revamped. Good place for a shop.

We have a new home (I flagged the basement for open PVP)

Congrats!

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

Martin in Soltown is brokus btw.

Hes been brokus for the last 3 months. Gl.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

Oh, Lum: will there be a way to kill Lord British in this game? Via having a sign fall on his head, poisoning his dinner, or pulling a Rainz?

Garriot has already killed himself by making this game.
Another 4 yrs and he might have combat corrected.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

I wouldn't classify it as a trainwreck. At least, not compared to the trainwreck Pantheon's Kickstarter was. If Portalarium continues to patch and update, I think we're going to get a decent to very good game. Eventually. We just got it on a new business model where the developer could keep it in Early Access limbo for who knows how long.

I mean, look at the addon store. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085 . $5 for an emote! A smokeable pipe (10 different designs) for $10! A 3 level, castle-sized basement (castle and castle lot not included) the size of multiple dungeons combined for $150!

Actually they have been really good at releasing patches and taking care of bugs and loading times.
They just need to completely pull the combat mechanics and redo it and optimize the hell outta the game and its pretty much gonna be ok.

Also: i dig the instruments.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

extra stout posted:

I've installed this game again. The intro trying to mimic the old Ultima intro but instead of animating it using blurred out pictures of an actual guy staring into an Alienware laptop with the Alienware logo really up close made me wonder if I really should have deleted a bunch of music and Danish movies to make room for this game. The soundtrack is really good though, I don't remember if we covered this in the last thread: During the kickstarter period Iolo the bard was back and promised to be up for working on the games soundtrack, do we have a listing anywhere of which songs are by him?

Also: Please remove the loving BUY ADDONS NOW button from the main menu until the size 72 font PRE ALPHA text warning is off the god drat client at least. Priorities.

Is it fair to guess I should just use whatever weapon type that is most fun, if a PVP patch is coming and the devs said it has months worth of work needed, it seems fair to assume the metagame for PVP won't even be the same by the time it matters anyway.

Steps for enjoying Shroud of the Avatar:

1) Uninstall game

2) sit quitely at desk.

edit: alex tell me when is a good time to catch you online, ill give you the 5k+ of gold i got so that you you can start the good guild.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

extra stout posted:

Hey I thought we established this is the do not acknowledge the amount of water in this ship thread! Probably true, but I've got plenty of free time for the next couple of weeks and if they ever actually inch their way towards an Ultima-ish game I think it could have some fun. All of the goons who post about how good the game is are always on ESO or WoW though, which doesn't make learning the game any easier.

Please save me your scraps of armor if you're really quitting and want to help a new since the reset character out with some junk tier stuff.

Listen, i REALLY wanted this game to go somewhere.
I have been playing Garriots Ultima and Ultima Online games for a long time.

No one was happier to hear a sort of UO2 was in the making.
And no one was more pissed off when he dropped 45$ on a forever alpha version of the game, that was two yrs into the making and is an absolute trainwreck in terms of combat and optimazation.

Im still crossing my fingers for this game, but its got about 2-3 more yrs in development.
In all truth by the time they get their poo poo together most of the population will be playing another MMO.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

Man, I placed four peppers on a shelf in my basement. When I left the basement and came back some time later, they weren't there anymore. I don't have my peppers. They aren't in my bank or any container. I lost my peppers.

:cry:

Guards!!!

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

hahaha

I laughed out loud at taunt actively making the mob go back to the original target

A little over 10 million dollars raised in funds and the game is still hilariously broken.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Strontosaurus posted:

If you could send a single message to Richard Garriott, what would it be? I've got a direct channel to the boy but we need to be civil.

How many more years until SOTA is outta alpha?

asking for a friend.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

I just logged in to refresh my house. I last played in August? I think. In the fifteen minute journey from Elysium Mines to my house in Estgard I noticed that there are roaming encounters on the world map, moving poo poo around in your inventory makes sounds now, bandits sound different, and women NPCs make weird sounds at random.

Hows he melee combat? Any improvements?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Those numbers look bad.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Gildiss posted:

It looks like Ren fair garbage but then again that describes Garriot and this game.

But you can tune into your favorite radio stations while playing this amazing game.:downs:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

at this point I suspect lum would make more money being an mmo twitch streamer than remaining on board garriott's sinking ship bulldozed castle

:D

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

yoloer420 posted:

Looks like they're testing out a free to play tier:

Now people don't have to spend their hard earned money to see what a steaming pile of poo poo this game is.

Very nice of them.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

extra stout posted:

I try my best to always talk about this scam of a game without insulting Lum because he is a good dude and a good dev, but it is hard since that is his current job and all. I imagine all the defense of this game (by all I mean four posters here and maybe a hundred left on their forums and Steam) are the big money donors still in denial. I only gave $30 and still the game is so unfinished, obsessed with cash shop transactions, and not at all what was promised that I genuinely am not sure if I'd ever buy a game again from the guy who made my favorite childhood game. If only I could get a lawyer for 8 dollars, then I'd still get 22 back.

This.

I'm just really embarassed that Richard Garriot put this game out. I've been a huge fan of him for quite a time and i KNOW he can do better.

Capntastic posted:

Apparently they have never shipped any of the physical rewards yet and basically are keeping the playerbase in suspense about if that will ever happen

:lol:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

CoffeeBooze posted:

So it looks like this game is having a free trial/open beta things that runs until the end of the month. Is there enough game here to make it worth taking a look yet?

No.

The free trial is to open your eyes to what a total steaming pile of poo poo this game is.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Sooooo what, all the money is gone now?

And Garriot is asking for more?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

yoloer420 posted:

I wish it hadn't been an MMO :( I also wish I'd given my money to shards online, that game is looking sweet

I pledged to both SOTA and Shards online.

Shards (Legends Of Aria) has less money and is still the better game overall.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

You can now (or maybe you could, I didn't know) invest in the SeedBundle program, at a minimum of $500, and receive golden armor and weapons in game.

Yea, this will work out nicely. :lol:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Virtual Captain posted:

Oh the whole site is dumb as poo poo, who knows why it's so popular.

Wayback link

I can't stop laughing at the 25 million dollar valuation.

also :lol: @ "what the loving gently caress, richard?!"

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Lum_ posted:

Top 8 List Of Why Lum Doesn't Post Here Any More:

8: Because "I don't post here in any official capacity" is respected about as often as Richard's sartorial choices?
7: Because extra stout mocked me in LOTRO?
6: Low tolerance for being screamed at incoherently?
5: Reddit has new, shinier hatred?
4: goons.txt
3: Because I literally cannot by law talk about anything investment related thanks to SEC rules?
2: Because, surprisingly, many people who post in these threads confuse "working somewhere" with "making all the decisions"?
1: I hate you?

You should tell richard to just sell his house for 35 million dollars and retire.

sit on a beach and take it easy, leave the mmo scene and video games scene alltogether.

i hope you qualify for unemployment.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Did anyone tell Mr. British that people like loot in MMOs not lutes in broken toys?

I don't think no one told Mr. British anything about what people like in MMOs.

Including his own development team.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

TheAgent posted:

I love how basically every question is answered by saying

"and please see our seedinvest site." :lol:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Thursday Next posted:

OK, respect where it's due. This is genuinely funny:

what? link to this please.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So, what is the state of the game now? Is the seedvest drive still going? Will they release how much they make from it? Any news since the seedvest launch?

Theyve raised a hefty $187,057 out of the 2 million they need if im reading the seedinvest page correctly.

or wait they need to raise 25 million?

not sure what the goal is but its not looking too good. they got 27 more days left.

Also: Invest 30k and get the following.

$30,000: Golden Castle

All of the above
Tax Free Player Owned Town Castle Lot Deed
Exclusive Golden Airship (See Gallery)
Exclusive Golden Castle Walls (See Gallery)
Exclusive Golden Clockwork Pet Dragon (See Gallery)
Dinner with Lord and Lady British and other Golden Castle owners at their home Britannia Manor in New York City (travel expenses not included)

:lol: travel expenses not included.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 11, 2017

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

Cool, we get to make an NPC vendor that makes fun of someone that buys a golden airship too.

The dinner with Garriot and his wife sounds cool.

You can sit at a table with other people who were stupid enough to drop 30k on a terrible game and eat roasted quail or some poo poo.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Thursday Next posted:

Gariott could fund this thing pretty easily, if he wanted. $20mm USD is not much of his estimated net worth.

When you consider that he's trying to attract investors with "everything is fine and dandy I promise" it is very very telling that he won't fund a significant portion himself. Unless he already has, in which case they should be crowing about that.

If Garriot is smart he wont use his money to fund this.

I saw he's selling a house in texas for something like 35 million or so.

Makes me wonder if he's gonna use that money to keep this game alive or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Soup du Journey posted:

you think? this seems like a lark more than anything else. i imagine he'll peace out at some point and go chill with his hillbot wife and renfaire-themed kiddos

He just needs to do this.

Retire and leave the MMO scene all together.

He has way more than enough money to do this.