Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

TheAgent posted:

Node, this is your intervention. Stop buying into terrible MMOs by game designers who have no idea what they are doing.

You should have learned with Pantheon.

Honest opinions were for the last thread, this is the good vibes for as long as we can muster them thread. Also Lum is posting again, so even if I can't get into this game I stay we keep the good false hope vibes going for weeks longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I've installed this game again. The intro trying to mimic the old Ultima intro but instead of animating it using blurred out pictures of an actual guy staring into an Alienware laptop with the Alienware logo really up close made me wonder if I really should have deleted a bunch of music and Danish movies to make room for this game. The soundtrack is really good though, I don't remember if we covered this in the last thread: During the kickstarter period Iolo the bard was back and promised to be up for working on the games soundtrack, do we have a listing anywhere of which songs are by him?

Also: Please remove the loving BUY ADDONS NOW button from the main menu until the size 72 font PRE ALPHA text warning is off the god drat client at least. Priorities.

Is it fair to guess I should just use whatever weapon type that is most fun, if a PVP patch is coming and the devs said it has months worth of work needed, it seems fair to assume the metagame for PVP won't even be the same by the time it matters anyway.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

iminers posted:

Steps for enjoying Shroud of the Avatar:

1) Uninstall game

2) sit quitely at desk.

edit: alex tell me when is a good time to catch you online, ill give you the 5k+ of gold i got so that you you can start the good guild.

Hey I thought we established this is the do not acknowledge the amount of water in this ship thread! Probably true, but I've got plenty of free time for the next couple of weeks and if they ever actually inch their way towards an Ultima-ish game I think it could have some fun. All of the goons who post about how good the game is are always on ESO or WoW though, which doesn't make learning the game any easier.

Please save me your scraps of armor if you're really quitting and want to help a new since the reset character out with some junk tier stuff.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I think a lot of it stems from how much pandering Portalarium's done based on community feedback. Read the suggestions subforums if you really want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Most of it is so absurdly off the wall that it makes me wonder if we're even playing the same game. One in particular was a request for animals and zombies that eat corpses when they're idling. If disturbed, there's a chance they might attack you with a severed limb from the corpse. Additionally, he wants mud to be slippery and cause "pieces of cloth or mud" to obscure vision until shaken loose.

Like, dude, I can't even get it to look like the spot I'm swinging at is actually occupied by the thing I'm swinging at.

There has to be some correlation between amount of money given and amount you convince yourself to say you enjoy this game, because despite this super optimistic remake of the thread, I got maybe 40 minutes of play time in in two weeks before uninstalling a third time. There's no way this will be even as functional or fun as some of my favorite games of 20 years ago, everything from the interface, the sounds, the visuals, the PVE combat, the travel system, I mean I cannot find a thing about this game I like.

Sorry folks, I gotta return to finished video games not based on potential in the deadline year + four years.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tsurupettan posted:

hey this game finally went on sale again for half off. should i buy it and play it, or should i buy it and sit on it until it develops more?

I wouldn't buy it again on a five dollar sale. Paladins feels like a masterpiece in comparison.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Anoia posted:

Yeah, I'd pull the trigger then.

This is a common fantasy among those who invest in SoTA, but you must resist it and live a long happy life.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Strontosaurus posted:

If you could send a single message to Richard Garriott, what would it be? I've got a direct channel to the boy but we need to be civil.

Ask him why out of every game I've backed his is the only one I can't get a refund on.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The last SoTA news letter I got said that February would have a short update to the game because....February is a short month. It then listed dozens of new items you can buy for real life cash. I don't know anything, I understand nothing

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Thursday Next posted:

Lum was literally one of my heroes when I was a kid playing UO. It sucks that I'm a dismissible troll to him now, as stupid as that is. Meeting him at a convention was one of the highlights of my silly adolescent years.

Okay well, that, and tweetyrants. Try Being A Guide You Nutless Assmuncher.

I try my best to always talk about this scam of a game without insulting Lum because he is a good dude and a good dev, but it is hard since that is his current job and all. I imagine all the defense of this game (by all I mean four posters here and maybe a hundred left on their forums and Steam) are the big money donors still in denial. I only gave $30 and still the game is so unfinished, obsessed with cash shop transactions, and not at all what was promised that I genuinely am not sure if I'd ever buy a game again from the guy who made my favorite childhood game. If only I could get a lawyer for 8 dollars, then I'd still get 22 back.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I was given an exclusive interview with Richard Garriot. I knocked on his door and he yelled 'GO AWAY I'M BATIN'

I knocked again four hours later and was allowed in, he was doing whatever this is and never answered a question. Sorry I let you down with answers about where the game or physical goods are.

https://twitter.com/CFVRLab/status/840623474951479296

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Woa is that a pet? Looks like it's well done and could hold further accessories too. I'm apparently a loving retard, would you take $30 for it?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Mr. Pickles posted:

May I remind you of the fateful day when they asked for like 200k USD to design elves as a playable race, and their intentions to scam became crystal clear.

Or that video with the robot-ipad-garriott-face...c'mon

It was pretty calculated and cynical from the start if you ask me

I have no clear memory of this so I'm genuinely asking: Did they spend 20k of the 200k to buy pre-rendered elves from another dev and 180k on a famous sword duelists skull to frame in the office, that will go into Garriot's mansion once the office stops existing in two years?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

If the money for the game didn't make it to the game I have some strange feeling that he isn't going to use his own money for the game suddenly

He has enough money to budget an entire staff for years and went to crowdfunding instead

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Holy poo poo everything was an even bigger scam than I posted. No wonder they wouldn't refund me my base copy of the game donation for years, they're full on stealing and can't give back money they already spent. Lum are you still getting paid? We've all been really kind to you but at some point I am predicting you don't have a job there anymore and lose any reasons to defend Garriot and the other less famous weird guy who literally sold his own blood mounted in medieval wall vials

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
They're going full Stalin on the Steam forums. Even intentionally locking but not deleting the mildly offensive threads, then deleting most of the angry threads about the news and pretending they're only locking the "troll posts".

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

DancingShade posted:

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I'm sad but such is life :toot:

In completely unrelated news Secret World Legends is relaunching in a month or something. See you all there fellow bad choices people.

At no point was this pre-alpha test fun

Soup du Journey posted:

also that drat webcam broom that he used to wheel around the office...

when the big man himself cant be bothered to come in to work, you know your goose is cooked. wonder how many times that thing got thrown the finger as it did a sick 180 and peeled off towards some other schmuck's cubicle

I barely remember this movie but I'm pretty sure a regular day at the office was Richard Garriot on the ipad mounted to a robotic scooter because he moved to New York after starting a MMO company in Texas, and he calls them once a day for like five minutes in a sort of greasy out of shape 60 year old men version of Charlie's Angels

Good Dumplings posted:

There's more than one person that spent over $100 on this bullshit? Why the gently caress did you people do this!? Was there seriously no $30 tier?

30 was the minimum for a copy of the game and in hindsight maybe I am a genius because that's the most I trusted the project despite it being backed by the Ultima Lord himself. Others could very easily argue that a genius would never, ever pay 30 dollars for literal garbage.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 2, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Soup du Journey posted:

neither here nor there, but his wife's a real piece of poo poo goldman girl who went all in for hillary. in addition to swedes i really hate unironic manhattanites

Let's not criticize his decision to move to the city for a gold digger, eventually a terrorist could blow up Garriot, and since he legally can't bring his uzi from Texas he would be defenseless and possibly leak out all of the stolen millions of dollars like a sonic the hedgehog bad guy does with those gold rings

Alternatively: Maybe his wife will donate the money back once she takes half of his castles in 1-5 years

holy poo poo forgot about this, there isn't a single comment from "the trolls" that could be called untrue 35 months later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOg3AJXGKgQ

extra stout fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 3, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I got an email actually called email #230 from sota asking me for money for another game and asking me to donate to lgbt suicide awareness month or something

wasnt this a video game we paid for? when did i pay to join a marketing ring

absolutely suck my god drat balls garriot if you bought back the rights to ultima from ea i wouldnt play the next one for free

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Krycek posted:

Between this and star shitizen, it makes you never want to spend money on pre-release games ever again.

Even the game I had the most confidence in, Camelot Unchained, actually hired millions of dollars of seemingly good devs, had an experienced leader who doesn't need the money badly, and I still feel like them trying to keep their promise of having 16 races and 65 classes or some poo poo is going to end up in a lot of refunds (respect that they even offer them unlike Shroud) and a lot of people just forgetting the game, not hyping it up to friends, etc, as it falls easily four years behind release to get all the poo poo they promised in game.

Smartest thing to do is promise not much more than you can deliver and even admit "We're going to launch with 10 races and 20 classes but you'll get the rest later and here's three free months of subscription to compensate!".

It's just too loving stupid to think in a world of 4500 mmos that everyone will remember and trust you to do well with yours once they've forgotten you're even still making the game. Hype and people joining with their friends at the same time is a majorly important aspect of selling an mmo. People buy games that are even marketed as indie clones of games they already own just to try something a little bit new with their Steam friends.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
are you kidding me lmao

banned for a fake reason, the real reason is that i copy/pasted the reddit thread about their upcoming bankruptcy to people asking about if they'll get a finished game or their physical promised 'rewards'

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

HungryMedusa posted:

"to get everyone to not become interested in the game for trolling reasons"

Ha.

I'm sad I lost money on this, but it's pretty schadenfreudy to see how poorly the devs are handling everything.

Also, check out the investor webinar tomorrow!

**Upcoming Investor Webinar**

Join Richard Garriott, CEO and Creative Director of Portalarium, for an Investor Webinar on Wednesday, June 14th, at 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT

Register Here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2735149906524740355

Thanks, I'll be sure to get some questions in. Does ascii art work in Webinar?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Thursday Next posted:

hey let's look at the investor slide deck:

* Ultima Online is twenty years old
* 1MM total players is not that many these days
* No crowdfunded MMO has ever worked

This slide is amazing, and I would like whomever wrote it to be my marketing consultant. It's absolutely brilliant. This slide misses the point by such a wide gulf I'm surprised the author's soul hasn't torn from their body.

I... I love this slide.

UO being the single fact on the entire thing that is worth being proud of is hilarious, *ONE OF US DID A THING IN 1997! THAT'S WORTH SOMETHING, MONEY NOW EVEN.

Thursday Next posted:

HOLY poo poo.

"to get everyone to not be interested in the game"

Is this a joke? Am I being pranked? Where's Alan Funt? What's going on here?

And they accuse you of legal threats in the same breath. That's equally great.

vote this up on steam so a few devs and customers see it before the unpaid forum mods delete it, thanks

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=946158492

extra stout fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 13, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The forums are getting rid of those who ask for refunds, they are being cleansed of all the je-- jerks.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

HungryMedusa posted:

"to get everyone to not become interested in the game for trolling reasons"

Ha.

I'm sad I lost money on this, but it's pretty schadenfreudy to see how poorly the devs are handling everything.

Also, check out the investor webinar tomorrow!

**Upcoming Investor Webinar**

Join Richard Garriott, CEO and Creative Director of Portalarium, for an Investor Webinar on Wednesday, June 14th, at 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT

Register Here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2735149906524740355

Also the one redeeming thing about this project: Who remembers when Iolo played 'stones' for us live on stream? Then read a two paragraph line Richard made him read about how excited he is to join us on the 3D adventure of the future of gaming. Did Garriot end up selling Iolo's hand made (real) crossbows for him on the webstore like he promised? Was he contracted to do the soundtrack for the game, and if so how many tracks do we have access to now four years later?

edit

Don't expect the Webinar to be anything other than Garriot lying about how modest their budget has been and how carefully he has utilized it, hasn't taken a single call or question from anyone who isn't on the payroll, literally mentioned Ultima and being an astronaut for ten minutes

Garriot: "We need to hire new people, not in writing, developing or game design, but now in marketing and sales"

Third obvious in staff question on Webinar and "sorry that is all the time we have and we will not be able to answer anymore questions"

The whole thing was the same pitch from years ago with a few new lies thrown in and a claim that "this game will be able to make 12-15 million dollars a year even if it only makes as much money as Ultima Online did at 10 bucks a month"

extra stout fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 14, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Soup du Journey posted:

i really think it's moved into scam territory with this seedinvest nonsense

It's a scam. When original backers of the game have no way to express their opinion even on the small dying various forums without being policed, you don't need to be an insider to know this is a sinking ship run by dickheads. I'll even go further: Garriot will never actually create anything good again.

His last major success was a lawsuit where he got paid for being fired from an MMO that went offline. Prior to that his last major success was talking about his last major success.

Ultima is still good, everyone here (except the two guys who donated 500 dollars) can piss on this fire as a hobby a few minutes a week for fun, why not? Closest thing you'll get to any justice, as you will not get your money back

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Thursday Next posted:

"While there are certainly problems with the game's subreddit right now, let's not blanket the entire reddit community there as trolls. Yes, this is an obvious problem, and we will be working on turning this around as soon as we can continue more constructive conversations there, but until that happens, it won't help to feed them here.

I'm going to close this thread down due to the turn it took. Feel free to create a new thread with more positive energy on how we can actually make reddit a more constructive place free of toxic behavior."

Suppressive Person, often abbreviated SP, is a term used in Scientology to describe the "antisocial personalities" who, according to Scientology's founder L. Ron Hubbard, make up about 2.5% of the population. A statement on a Church of Scientology website describes this group as including notorious historic figures such as Adolf Hitler.

The term is often applied to those whom the Church perceives as its enemies, such as those whose "disastrous" and "suppressive" acts are said to impede the progress of individual Scientologists or the Scientology movement.

One of the reasons Scientology doctrines portray Suppressive Persons as such a danger is that they are supposed to make people around them become Potential Trouble Sources (abbreviated PTS). Scientology defines a PTS as "a person who is in some way connected to and being adversely affected by a suppressive person. Such a person is called a potential trouble source because he can be a lot of trouble to himself and to others." Hubbard suggested that Potential Trouble Sources make up 17.5% of the population.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

TheAgent posted:

which he is not, absolutely not, willing to do

Mr. Garriot given how passionate you've been about this game for four years could you contribute one percent of your own wealth to the project? No? Well then, could we get a finished single player game and our autistic Egyptian symbol necklaces mailed to us?

Hello?

I guess the call dropped

MORE EXCITING NEWS:

This permament alpha soon to collapse is spending a whole day of development- Streaming the in game birthday party of Lord British! Six hours of Twitch streaming, we're talking easily 190 people will watch this. That day wouldn't have been used for making the game much better anyway, let's celebrate theft

extra stout fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 23, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Starr Long is in charge of locking the threads about the dead scam game now

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...5.95837/page-14

Because Garriot is still busy reminding people he used video game money from 30 years ago to pay to go to space business class one time

https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/6phw4i/im_richard_garriott_and_im_a_private_astronaut_at/

And while the game will never be finished or playable you can buy a huge ugly rainbow colored PC with optional KATANA SPEAKER SYSTEM to run a bad, dead alpha scam

https://www.originpc.com/promotion/2017/july-promo/

They really are willing to put in the hard work, make a bunch of phone calls and promote the sale of nothing

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Percelus posted:

i am sure everyone still playing this "game" is really excited about the oktoberfest themed fundraiser :shepface:

the game is just 63 players donating a few thousand dollars a month to get to chat with a millionaire who wont contribute his own money but feels too badly about firing the remaining 5 employees working on his 'vision'

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i really wish their office (if they still have anyone unfired by now) was close enough that i could drive there and throw garbage at them until they refund my 30 dollars

making an awful unplayable game is one thing, but stretching it out into a 5 year scam where you're not paying anyone to finish the game but you still have volunteer mods banning people for posting honest summaries of the game, i mean gently caress you garriot, lord shitish

richard hairytits

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Thought about this 40 gig unplayable alpha recently when Camelot Unchained announced they got $7.5 million from some of the same folks who backed DAoC, and the beard programmer next to Jacobs said something like "So I won't have to cut off my beard and sell locks of it for 5000 bucks?"

Also after reading the previous page I think you guys should go easy on Lum, while this game is a permanent scam he is a good guy who just wants to keep his job, I would also be very interested in hearing the details of all the failure but it is probably not reasonable to expect or ask for it until it's all over

I don't see a Camelot Unchained thread so I hope one of you MMO whales puts one up once they make the beta announcement in a month

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

jabro posted:

Weren't you the idiot trolling him while he was trying to play LOTRO?

lol

I don't know where he got that from but yes he posted that once, I think I referenced the scooter hooked up to an ipad but SoTA jokes do not count as trolling him personally, also I am entitled to SoTA jokes until they refund my 30 dollars

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Kak posted:

CU is the only other game I backed besides this smoldering pile of poo poo. Their team seems to be making progress slowly but surely considering they're making an engine and assets from the ground up and one of their main programmers left because of creative differences. I hope it does well. It looks like it will be perfect for people that can't log 8 hours a day and just want a quick battle and be able to log off.

Same here, only two kickstarters I've ever given a dollar to

Camelot Unchained announced today that Beta 1 will begin July 4th this year, and that part of the rewards being given to donors for all the delays will be things like: Beta 2/3 people will be let in right away or maybe a week later

Beyond that it's just guesses, sounds like prices will change and some gifts will be added as bonuses, then maybe a month after beta the good deals will go away and refunds might be turned off. So this game will have gone like 5 years of development with refunds left open the entire time, and with Mark Jacobs putting in more of his own cash than we did. Pretty cool even if slow. Seems like it'll accommodate casuals more than other greasier MMOs.

As far as a thread goes I'm still playing LoTRO and doing that thread, so one of you bums should put one up in maybe early June, thanks!!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

TheAgent posted:

this was from September 3rd, 2016

physical items still haven't shipped

looking through some of the old posts DancingShade and Alexander DeLarge made makes me crack the hell up

are you trying to say that a guy worth 50 milion dollars could safely afford to mail people mousepads and posters within 5 years of taking their money on kickstarter? let's keep things fair and realistic. what next, the 'massively' in MMORPG should mean more than 218 people??

the 52nd build of the game shouldn't crash to desktop everytime???

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Oriental Hugs posted:

How the hell are people laundering money with this?

That was an auto-correct for 'losing'

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I have to find awesome pictures from the launch party in the Star Citizen thread. :sad:

https://twitter.com/DavidSwofford/status/974067020592570368/photo/1

His character name is "the press"

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

CoffeeBooze posted:

That necklace seems pretty appropriate for Garrison these days.

Depending on how the light hits it it looks like either a tacky $ necklace, or a creepy snake.

So either way he wears his heart on his neck, as the expression goes

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
it's been five? years since richard garriot had iolo the bard come in during the first stream and confirm he'd be hiring him to make the soundtrack, does anyone know if there is any confirmation of how many tracks iolo recorded for the game?

the only redeeming aspect of this project would be at least being able to download those songs

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

mike12345 posted:

I watched a stream, and the fps was terrible. Maybe it was the streamer's potato computer, couldn't tell.

A while back the official stream looked like it was running the game at about 19 FPS and I was banned for asking them to show the current frame rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

CoffeeBooze posted:

Im absolutely shocked that DAOC has been trucking along with enough subscribers to keep the servers open for this long.

The fans are loyal and you can be sure you'll see a lot of them happily beta testing Camelot Unchained when it begins this July 4th