Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've done a wicked thing today. I gave in to temptation and...used an infinite money cheat in SRW3.

I'm a bad person and not a proper Super Robot Warrior. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, the SNES game. I've tried to beat it like 3 or 4 times now, but have never seen it all the way through.

I just can't drop it for whatever reason, so I'm determined to see it all the way through...just, with infinite funds.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In case you don't know, Super Robot Wars V is getting an English release on the PS4 next year as well. :)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SRW3: Can the Nahel Argama not be upgraded? I thought you could for some reason but it doesn't appear in the upgrade menu.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So uh I just noticed the OST for Alpha is for sale on American iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/super-robot-taisen-alpha-original/id483369877

Why is it doing here!?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man, SRW3 sure has some...SNES-era plotting.

Lune: "Grrrr! I'm gonna get you guys for killing my father, Bian Zoldark!"

Masaki: "Hey you're cute."

Lune: "True. Also gently caress the Zabi family, I'm joining you guys."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is V up for preorder anywhere?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Prism posted:

PlayAsia has it.
I found it on there, made an account, and now I'm going to be spending too much money on this game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm FINALLY coming up on the end of my SRW3 playthrough.

Getter G is absurdly powerful, holy poo poo (Bit surprised the game actually went through with killing Musashi though, since you can save most of the other "doomed" characters). The Granzon is also absurdly good, especially since killing a boss leveled up Shu enough to get Double Act. :getin:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

It's maybe been ten years since I played through SRW3, but I definitely remember feeling a sense of relief when the game finally gives you some more powerful tools at the tail end of the game.
It definitely feels like some weird progression in terms of empowerment. Throughout most of the game I felt like I was maybe getting something actually useful for battle like, every three or four stages. In this last stretch of the game though, I'm suddenly getting multiple people with Map Attacks, several heavy hitters like the Getter G, plenty of people now with Double Act etc.

Like early to midgame felt reasonably tough to me, even with the shameful infinite money cheat I used, and now I'm getting flashbacks to when I played Z2.2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Omfg the second to last stage of SRW3 is such bullshit. I'm pretty sure that Wendolo and his Dikastis have literally infinite HP, as if being able to one-shot most of my guys wasn't enough. But hey that makes the game too easy apparently, might as well give him like 15 units of reinforcements on turn 5, including several bosses like Paptimus and Sara. :shepface:

This game is evil. It lured me into a false sense of security before beating me back the gently caress down right at the very end. Luckily I know that if I somehow can kill Wendolo before Paptimus and his crew arrives I can skip them outright to clear the stage...the problem with that though is that I'm not sure I can clear everything before Wendolo without abusing spirits.

EDIT: After some more failed attempts, I'm not sure this is even mathematically possible for me to clear.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 6, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I appreciate it. :)

I'm getting pretty stumped here though. Maybe if I had more than two usages of Supply I could get through with Map Attack spamming, but that would require redoing the entire game again to properly set up for. That way I might be able clear this first wave of enemies more easily...though right now, I'm a bit stumped on how to deal with these assholes that wait on the other side of the map, never move, and just hit me with ranged funnel attacks and the like. It takes me like two turns just to get over to them.

The bosses in this initial wave are still posing a problem, but to kill them without draining my SP takes too much time until Wendolo appears. And if I spend too much getting him with his bullshit powers to spawn, then Scirocco and his goons strolls in anyways and will pick off whatever forces I still have around.

Maybe I should just forego the whole "clear in 5 turns" idea altogether, wait it out until Scirocco spawns and (Slowly) try taking him and the initial wave of enemies out, and then going after Wendolo. It would be a pain in the rear end but I'm running out of things to try. That strategy still might be a big drain on resources, but I might be able to recover from that with some clever usage of parking units in the Ra Cailum and running around the map.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I apologize for the second double post in a row, but I've done it. I've finished SRW3!

For the second to last stage, I ended up being right about having to take things slowly, wasting turns on recharging, and I had to fight off Scirocco and his forces before spawning Wendolo. I actually a slightly easier time here than I expected, since Mekiboz, Sikalog, and Agirha didn't even move from their spot until I intentionally aggro'd them with Ryune's Rage. Once Wendolo himself spawned, it was just a matter of spamming all of my strongest attacks with Valor or whatever the hell it is called in this patch. Finally, I Double Tomahawk'd that little fucker to death (I had just barely run out of enough Will to not be able to use Shine Spark :(). Took me 23 turns on this map (Compared to the 5 turns that was my initial, foolish plan) but I did it.

Afterwards I had a low enough turn count to get to the special bonus stage where you fight the Neo Granzon (Plus two Valsions. I guess Shu had some friends he just didn't think to invite to battle before now?). Didn't take any special strategy- again just spamming my best attacks since only three enemies were on-screen. Lot of HP on that guy though, and he hits pretty hard, particularly when he used two Map attacks in a row. Final turn count was 309.

I'm glad I played SRW3, though I don't think I'll ever play through the entire thing again. I think I'll play SRWJ next- anything I should know about it?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

J sounds bizarre.

Is there like a ballpark amount of accuracy I should be looking toward getting to?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HitTheTargets posted:

Which in turn opens the door to the RX-78-2 Gundam using Super Napalm again.
I remember I would always try using the Super Napalm in A Portable and each and every time I was mad that it never hit anything.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Or you end up with strange cases like Roux piloting a Zakrello.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Policenaut posted:

I demand the return of The Great GM God Ideon.

CAN YOU HEAR IT?!

SURELY YOU CAN HEAR IT!

THAT FAR OFF ROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!
Ideon has only been in two or three games, right? I'm kind of surprised it hasn't popped up more.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

It's probably just because of how setting-dominatingly powerful it is. It can work if you work around it but it isn't some random gundam series or one-off super robot show that you can just plug in for an added unit like Trider.
I suppose that makes sense. I'd just like to see it destroy the universe in HD.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Captain Earth had a time limit thing too IIRC, but only when they were on Earth piloting the smaller robots IIRC.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

I wish they would have a Super Shounen Anime Wars.

I mean, combine the casts of Dragonball, One Piece, Naruto and maybe Hero Academia and that's a large-sized SRW cast right there.
They actually tried something like this back in the NES era.

That's Famicom Jump II. No idea if its any good or not, and I doubt it's available in English.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's what I always thought MSF or Diamond Dogs should have as a gimmick if they ever make it into an SRW game, since Peace Walker and MGSV have you stealing vehicles and stuff anyways.

It's like, Big Boss can ride a Mass Produced Great Mazinger he ballooned somewhere, why not.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In SRWJ, is this thing about not deploying the Zeorymer unless required to get the Great Zeorymer some kind of glitch or is it an intended mechanic?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

WrightOfWay posted:

It's intended. You can actually activate the flag with a gameshark.
Alrighty then. If it wasn't intended I think I would have used the gameshark method. I'll try it the way the game wants though.

Schwarzwald posted:

I have to assume it's intended.
I wasn't sure since it just sounds like a weird way to get an upgrade, and SRWJ does have some weird glitches in it based on what I've read online.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

English is looking good.

How are these bonus things going to work? Am I going to need to make a foreign PSN account to download them?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Does the menu patch translate objectives/SR points too? Otherwise it seems kinda worthless.
IIRC the dude behind the project was planning on doing those too but never got around to it.

He actually had a partial MX Portable patch in the works too but never released it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

Now we need a few of the KURISMAS PRESENTO scene and we can summarize the entire series in a couple screenshots!
My favorite scene in Brain Powerd is when Yu is holding a woman up at gunpoint and he gets so distracted looking at something else that she just turns around and walks away.

Hokuto posted:

We don't know how bad V's translation will be, but here's one that I can tell you guys will probably be good!

I finally got permission from my collaborators to show off screens from this very much nonofficial translation effort.

Nice.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wonder if there is an interesting way to translate Mika's increasing dehumanization and reliance on Barbatos into SRW gameplay mechanics.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The most logical thing would be that Barbatos Full Power has a usage limit like old-school Raideen or SRX but they've shied away from that kind of mechanic for a long time.
One idea I had was that abusing Barbatos would cause Mika to take extra levels to learn Spirits. Or gradually increase their SP cost or something like that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

Yurika being around gives me hope, and also hope that they're basically doing W's PoD
How did W do PoD?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Beecha surviving ZZ is one of the great tragedies of 20th century fiction.

Every other main character I like. Judau is cool, Roux is cool, Elle is cool, Leina had some good moments when she was around, Mondo got tolerable. ZZ was a weird time for Bright (Like that weird subplot where he almost cheats on Mirai) but it added to his character IMO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely can't think of a single redeeming thing Beecha does.
Even his name annoys me, since anytime I read it it makes me think of beached whales. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Definitely weird time for Bright. I think it was fine for his character development because you can tell he was suffering from being far from his family for so long that he practically lost it.
I really dug that stuff myself, it just wasn't at all what I was expecting in the show.

ZuljinRaynor posted:

That scene was frustrating. ZZ also annoyed me with how Fa seemed to act like she had no piloting experience at all in the first few episodes. She had quite a lot of hours under her belt after Zeta, why is she all of the sudden completely useless?
If you're talking about those episodes where she's piloting the Zeta, I seem to recall some line about the Zeta having insane customizations specific to Kamille's piloting style that even Judau needed time to overcome.

Of course that's just a plot explanation. I could have used some badass Fa moments.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HitTheTargets posted:

Someone should call her parents. I think she got lost on the way to Persona 5.
Are we sure that just isn't some photoshop of Rise as a goth girl?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As I've been stumbling through SRWJ, I find that I'm really enjoying the Puzzle Robo segments. I'm sure they're considered simplistic to people better at these games than I am, but I like figuring them out.

The extra cash is certainly nice too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hokuto posted:

I wouldn't say they're simplistic? They get really obtuse and arcane the further in you go. That's most people's beef with them. I did really like the early ones.
Ah okay, I'm still in the early 20's so I guess I just haven't gotten to the harder ones yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Have you noticed that resupplying lowers a unit's Will by 10?
Yes, in fact. I couldn't have told you the exact number (I thought it was closer to 5 off the top of my head) but I've noticed that kind of stuff in other SRW games at least. I remember in...MX Portable, I think it was, I had an issue with keeping EN and Will maintained for people like Domon in certain stages.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 23, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

If humanity don't fear death, all ambitions and desires stop and a "suicide gene" activates causing humanity to kill itself. Because peace and prosperity is bad I guess.

Except now there's been another twist and I don't know what the gently caress is going on any more.
That sounds like a really dumb metaphor for apathy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hokuto posted:

Since we're talking Gundam...

:allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Huh, they're going with some of the lozalized names- "True Mazinger" and "Star Blazers 2199".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As I play SRWJ I feel like some of the crossover stuff works and some of it feels a little forced.

Like when Zeorymer's Masato learns of his background and wonders if that means he's actually a Coordinator, that's a cool detail. But then stuff like Kira having to pilot the Strike comes off as a little flimsy when we have like 20 other machines on the Archangel alone at any given time, to say nothing of everything also on the Nadesico. Random ZAFT soldiers recognize that Domon and co. are also piloting Gundams, but unless I missed some weird detail in a route split, what they even would be doing if the Devil Gundam wasn't running around seems unexplained since the Gundam Fight doesn't seem to be a thing here (Which makes both their Gundams' similarities and differences in regards to the ones that were hidden at Orb odd in this particular setting).

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 6, 2017

• Locked thread