Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's a bunch of behind-the-scenes interviews and production art here. I can't remember which interviews include it but there was apparently some drama between the CGI guys and Doug Netter.

One cool tidbit is that the Omega-class destroyers were originally intended to launch their fighters from the very edge of the rotating section, using the centripetal force to fling them out like B5's Cobra bays did.

I'd love to see a cross-section schematic. Starfuries seemed way to big for a dozen to be held inside a destroyer, let alone to allow them to maneuver into docking areas for repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Burning_Monk posted:

G'Kar's is a pretty dope bachelor pad.

There's a scene in season 1 where someone goes to visit G'Kar and two women leaves his bedroom.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Watching River of Souls and Legend of the Rangers back to back would probably make you give up on the series.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

hope and vaseline posted:

Space: Above and Beyond is what comes to mind.

drat you!

I loved the set design for Space Above and Beyond. Honestly, its first season was just as strong as B5's.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I generally enjoyed his run on Amazing Spider-man, as long as we forget Sins Past ever happened.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jedit posted:

To be fair, she did marry him afterwards.

And then divorce him shortly after. So maybe the no pants thing was a big clue she missed.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Now for a recipe for Minbari flarn.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

All those jokes my friend and I made about Khazad-dum and Za Ha Dum sharing the same crevice where you can be reborn is a bit less funny now I guess.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Flatscan posted:

JMS and his walkabout bullshit is never the good bit of anything.

It's the whole plot of Midnight Nation.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Rebooting B5 would be dumb, but the setting has plenty of room for another series in it.

It'd be good to pair Ron Moore with someone to do a good depiction of The Dilgar War.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I didn't say he should be in charge of it. He just needs to be paired with someone who can actually conclude arcs and think of endings to a story. Nobody complained about his work on DS9.

I heard it was a dartboard :v:

Also pretty sure it was a spinning wheel thingy.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

pentyne posted:

With TNG Rodenberry was given way too much influence and power, and all the writers and staff that had regarded TOS as a masterpiece and thought he was some visionary genius quickly realized that he was actually pretty bad. Like, old school racism and misogyny bad.

Roddenberry must have gotten kookier with age. In TOS he had Nichelle Nichols read for the parts of Spock and Bones because he hadn't decided that their characters would be male.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Timby posted:

If you want to get shithoused quickly, take a drink every time Boxleitner says "nononono."

I'll send you straight to black-out drunk.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

At this point I figure it's more about tonnage and how much you pack into your holds to sell, and stuff like fresh bacon and eggs isn't worth the price because you couldn't carry enough to make it economical compared to other stuff. Especially as there's already freeze dried, shelf-stable eggs. But as a freighter captain, you've probably got a private freezer where you can stash a few things that you can give to station ops officers because hey maybe the order of docking can be rearranged a bit to get your ship higher up the list.

Basically, Ivanova is god.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Isn't it two days' time for the White Star, though? I don't think your average freighter is hauling rear end like that. That said I think the transit time for Franklin and Marcus to get from B5 to Mars was like two weeks, although that was on a relatively circuitous route as to avoid being picked up, so maybe a week is more normal?

I'm also a little surprised that Babylon 5 can't accommodate some chickens - you'd think you could keep them fed on food waste or something, and you could use the chicken poo poo as fertilizer for the gardens, couldn't you?

It's probably a balance between needing water, feed, space, and carbon offset. I'm going to pretend an enclosed space station like B5 with a quarter million humans and aliens has a pretty delicate balance of atmosphere.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

Boxlietner has at least three notes. Optimistic, incredulous, and righteously indignant.

And I love them all.

:swoon:

What does he use when he sends stuff straight to hell?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Yes, it's an enclosed space station, but it's still a quarter of a million people with ships coming and going and station security isn't there to enforce whatever the equivalent of immigration is. People probably show up on at the station and never leave.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Do any shows even do an opening theme anymore? Pretty much everything has just like a sting over a logo anymore I think.

I guess The Orville does a theme, maybe that will be updated.

Voltron Legendary Defender's theme is stuck in my head. If you mean network TV, I have no idea. Person of Interest had a theme song, with narration describing the premise of the show.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

https://crudereviews.net/2018/08/22/breaking-babylon-5-reboot-in-the-works-snyder-named-as-showrunner-wahlberg-to-star/

IT'S A FAAAAAAAAAAAAKE

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Q_res posted:

Really, the idea of Melissa McCarthy playing Londo, G'kar, Vir and Lennier wasn't a big enough hint?

Honestly, I only considered it confirmed when I recognized each of the ships.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Rappaport posted:

There's all those guards hanging about, we don't see their life but they definitely seem to be on a lower rung of the ladder. Like a guy whose life's work is guarding a flower.

Do we really see any of the main alien races' "normies"? G'kar has his cult followers who seem to be working class (if that even makes sense in an alien context), the Minbari scenes revolve around fairly politically powerful people and Centauri stuff is nobles fighting each other. Although aside from the space janitor episode we don't see that much of Earth's randos either.

I guess there's that Rangers/Minbari episode with the young people being trained.

There was that space racist family visiting B5 from Earth and complaining about how dingy everything was cause of you know who

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I kind of feel bad for the average Minbari who read the news one day and found out they had no govt. I think there was an opportunity to show more domestic dissension on Minbar with various groups of Minbari calling for a more representative govt where they actually voted instead of a new Grey Council.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I watched the Next Generation episode last night where G'Kar shows up as a Romulan. :allears:

Oh Tomalok :allears:

"There's great hostility behind his smile."

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Zartosht posted:

The Galactic Virgin Squad has arrived. We live for the oneitis, we die for the oneitis!

Is Zack Allen lying down in the backseat?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Seems consistent with other flag officers like Generals Franklin and Hague.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

poolside toaster posted:

Wouldn't The San Diego Ruins be like... a bunch of burned out malls and a roadside avocado stand?

"And they put too much cilantro in everything!"

feedmegin posted:

I mean then you're also kind of assuming America conquers all of Earth in the back story (which granted does explain why 99% of people Earth in a position of authority seem to be American)...

I don't really recall the conflict that EarthForce/EarthGov emerged out of, but if Western nations were part of the victors, it makes sense as to why Western rank structure would be used.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

3) A commander on the first contact ship that was known to be bad in first contact situations (uhhh...so how many wars with other races were the humans involved with thanks to this guy?)

I thought The Omega Incident that Lefcourt refers to was the incident that brought Earth into the Dilgar War.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Zaroff posted:

Wasn't that Ko'Dath (who was only in Born to the Purple, then had an airlock accident)? Or did that happen to the first Na'Toth as well and they just madebad choices with their Narn aides and prosthetics?

There were two actresses who played Na'Toth. The original came back I think in the 4th season when G'Kar found her on Narn in a prison. It really felt like "oh you forgot about me that's cool".

I stand corrected.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

ThingOne posted:

It does seem pretty convenient that the one weakness of the Shadow vessels is telepaths, something almost every major race has. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just that there has to be more to this than we're being told.

There's a reason that the Narn don't have telepaths and why G'Kar propositioned Talia in season 1. But also because season 1 G'Kar was a sleazy skank.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

McCloud posted:

Rewatching this series, and something I've noticed is how everyone has a tragic backstory.

Ivanova lost her whole family to various circumstances, Garibaldi was a drunk and lost friends because of his work, Sheriden lost his wife to ZA'HA'DUM, Marcus's brother was KIA for the rangers, Delenn lost her mentor and father figure (and spiritual leader for her culture), Vir and Londo were both considered huge jokes in their respective families and G'kar was literally a survivor of genocide.

The only one who didn't have a sob story background is Incel Lennier and Frankin.

Corwin's backstory was that he had the lowest grade in his entire Academy graduating class.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I thought it was implied 1-3 were also sabotaged by the shadows?

In my headcanon it was sabotaged by the Anla-shok just so they'd have to build 4 and 5.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 19, 2020

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Poor Keffer. Everyone always forgets about Keffer.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Tighclops posted:

lol wasn't that guy in the opening credits for season 2

he was barely a character

Yeah I think JMS was pushed to have a hot-shot fighter pilot character in the series so they casted Seether from Wing Commander IV and he was shoe-horned in and given a role in the plot and then killed when the network wasn't looking.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Personally I think about Keffer, his credits listing and all that like he is the unsung hero who was the first one to actually deliver proof and main story actually starts with him. Plot device? Yes. Neatly executed plot device.

I see what you did there

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

CainFortea posted:

I'd imagine in garibaldi's case it's a holdover from the earth-membari war and he just kept on flight status for the flight pay.

Actually that's probably a lot of them.

I guess the supposition though is that there isn't a separate aviator branch of Earth Force.

I mean it'd be really crazy if Franklin hopped out in a Starfury for some reason.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's only really A Thing early on when they're mostly dealing with Raiders, to be fair. You could argue it's because they've got the experience and flight time to lead a squadron of military combat craft to go stomp some rear end in a top hat pirates picking on civilians, plus it's the only fun to be had in the middle of nowhere.

It makes perfect sense in Sinclair's case since he was a fighter pilot and commanded at least a squadron by the end of the Minbari War. And I don't know what Ivanova's job was before she was Sinclair's second in command.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

That's what I mean when I talk about an aviation branch. You wouldn't typically just learn to be a fighter pilot over a like a 6 month training course just for the money. Typically that kind of training is complicated and expensive and dedicated to those who want to be fighter pilots full-time. If you're going to train someone to fly a Starfury, you wouldn't just let them go back to being security or whatever. You'd make them be a fighter pilot for years, at least until they paid back what you spent training them.

The most obvious answer to this is that JMS doesn't know squat about the structure of a military.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

They were marines tho so that makes a modicum of sense. They spent most of the time in the hammerheads this if I recall correctly.

Haha Fox couldn't afford for the 58th to spend so much time in Hammerheads. They are called an air/ground element so I always took it to mean that they were within a specialized wing that could deploy for either. Even when you looked at the ground missions they did, they typically weren't just regular infantry missions, except for maybe Dark Side of the Moon where they went to the refining facility. It was usually "insert -> selective strike -> extract". So in that respect they were used almost like special operations forces, like when they went to medevac a unit in Stay With The Dead, or blow up a supply depot in Dear Earth, or do behind the lines reconnaissance with very limited ROE in Toy Soldiers.

In case you can't tell, I love Space: Above and Beyond.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Soylent Pudding posted:

Which is why I also have a soft spot for the Novas which can best be summed up as "strap as many giant fuckoff lasers to a brick as we can".

I mean in general I love almost all the starship designs in B5 and think they all tell a story about the perspective and status of the race that built them.

e: I'm fighting the urge to do my breakdown of all the major powers ship designs and how they contribute to telling the story of their builder races while stuck in these zoom meetings.

Why are you fighting it?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Narsham posted:

I think it’s fairly clear that the Minbari understanding of the Shadows is based almost entirely on what the Vorlons told them.

Pretty much this. I thought they were of a similar age given that the First Ones trusted both of them and given their parity in technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Horizon Burning posted:

Did Clark have that much genuine support, though? In that sense of 'I'm surprised he had so much.' I always got the impression that there weren't many genuine Clarkists but there were a shitload of people who were scared to speak out or act against him because he'd execute and/or disappear them. When it came down to it, something like half of Earthforce turned against him and the moment there was no threat of reprisal there were people marching on his office. But he has Psi Corps and Nightwatch and so on.

I got the impression that even if they weren't genuine Clarkists, they still thought he was doing a good job representing Earth interests, sort of like how people don't like Trump but they think he's doing a good job handling the economy and that he was Santiago's VP so how bad could he be.