Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Crosspeice posted:

Have you gotten to the point where you become so underlevelled that REPELS stop working? XY was the first game in the series where that happened to me, it was very frustrating.

did...did you turn off the EXP share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

X/Y have lackluster story, and pretty good gameplay/Pokemon availability. I'm really looking forward to Sun/Moon, though, because the teases so far seem to be promising a very, very weird story, with a lot of deviations from the normal Pokemon formula (but using game mechanics in new ways, like with the Totems). Also the environments look amazing from the trailers, with a bunch of dense-looking areas.

I think another thing with X/Y, that some have remarked upon, is the transitional nature of it. It's the first mainline Pokemon game with 3D models, but it doesn't really extend that to the overworld. Sun/Moon finally goes most of the way in having more realistic proportions. This will likely make even small areas seem larger.

It's also not clear from the map what the overall path is. Although, it'll probably still be fairly straightforward, so there's an even leveling curve. Nobody really wants what we had in GSCHGSS.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

gosh, Gastrodon is just a really solid Pokemon. I have never heard a bad word about Gastrodon, because Gastrodon is A GOOD BUDDY.

pink Shellos looks terrible, though, always go blue.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Roserade and Tangrowth are great buddies. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Zuzie posted:

After XD, I think Game Freak decided that the Colosseum universe should be axed. Hence why no references to it had been made since 2005 or whenever XD was released.

But still, Colosseum was an interesting experiment as you only had an extremely limited pool of Pokémon to work with and no real way to increase the number. You couldn't obtain any Pokémon apart from the trainers who had Shadow Pokémon on them. Even XD had wild Pokémon that generate endlessly.

XD also had a limited pool, though. IIRC there were only 3 or 4 places with wild Pokemon, only three species could appear at each, they were woefully underleveled, and the mechanic was weird and annoying.
but XD does have the rainbow dudes with a wide spread of good shadow Pokemon to catch right before the first dungeon. There's Spheal, Houndour, Seedot, Baltoy, Mareep, and Gulpin.
XD was the first time I ever used Gulpin, and I fell in love. Mostly 'cause it could tank hits like a champ, and I aggressively used Yawn.

and not far after that you get Shroomish.

The real problem with XD is that before Citadark Island there are 47 Shadow Pokemon. At Citadark Island, there are 35. The final dungeon is the sloggiest of slogs unless you use the strategy recommended by most guides (a Shadow Pokemon with Shadow Half).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

oddium posted:

magcargo love to help egg

how is a volcarona even supposed to hold the egg. no thanks

Magcargo has finally achieved its destiny by being everyone's egg-hatching buddy. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

jarbv posted:

I feel like event pokemon are pretty rare

but if you're like me and ended up with 5 Victinis you should feel okay with trading them away for something you need to fill or dex or want more

edit: it is pretty lovely that you can't put up event pokemon up for other event pokemon on GTS...

I've never had a Victini. I have all the other 5th gen event Pokemon, and now I have a Darkrai and Hoopa, but never a Victini.

missing event Pokemon: Mew, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Diancie, Volcanion

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY OF THESE FUCKERS?!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I guess it would be a bad time to mention that most of these were available over the past several months? :ohdear:

On the plus side, Volcanion comes out in two days, Keldeo is on Mystery Gift now, and you can also get a Meloetta and Genesect in the upcoming months. The latter three you could probably trade for some of those.

Also, if you're willing to get ORAS, you can catch Deoxys in-game.

I have all the 5th gen legendaries except Victini, because I was actually paying attention to the events during that period of time. but I get in and out of being interested in playing Pokemon, sometimes going months without picking up my 3DS.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Zuzie posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't include a new fossil duo this time around. However, I wouldn't mind including Tyrunt and Amaura again. Mostly because their evolutions require a specific time to evolve, and since a region based on Hawaii is also home to koala and orangutan Pokémon, they may just introduce new fossils anyway.

Or an even cooler idea would be that Omanyte and Kabuto didn't go extinct in Alola and continued to evolve.

it doesn't seem all that likely, but I would love Alola Form Omanyte/Omastar and Kabutop/Kabutops.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Yeah, but he was pretty much the star of the episode.

I guess people are still upset over Porygon never appearing in the anime is due to the "catch them all" mentality and the anime will pretty much never have them all on screen.

Actually, another victim of being erased from most Pokémon media is Kadabra, and this is mostly due to Uri Geller being sue happy. He lost the case but the damage is done and as far as the anime and card game is concerned, Abra evolves directly into Alakazam.

Porygon Did Nothing Wrong.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The more I think about it the more I realize I don't really like that many Gen 3 pokemon. Slaking's cool tho

I find the opposite is true with me.

like: Sceptile, Mudkip, Swampert, Lotad, Ludicolo, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Nosepass, Mawile, Sableye, Zigzagoon, Taillow, Swellow, Pelipper, Shroomish, Breloom, Whismur, Loudred, Exploud, Makuhita, Hariyama, Aron, Lairon, Aggron, Gulpin, Swalot, Wailmer, Wailord, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Spoink, Grumpig, Torkoal, Camerupt, Trapinch, Flygon, Cacnea, Cacturne, Swablu, Altaria, Zangoose, Seviper, Lunatone, Whiscash, Corphish, Crawdaunt, Cradily, Armaldo, Banette, Tropius, Absol, Snorunt, Glalie, Spheal, Relicanth, Salamence, Metagross.

and there's very few outright misses. Maybe I'm biased because Gen III was really My Generation, more than the others. Gen II was the first one I played, but Gen III was when the games took primacy over everything else about the franchise. and, I think Hoenn at the time had a deeper, more interesting range of features and climates, and a much better level curve, and a much better range of available Pokemon. I still remember encountering an Aron and realizing you could get a strong, tanky Steel type THAT early. I remember first running into Tropius. I remember dominating contests with my beautiful Torkoal and my cool Castform.

maybe that nostalgia is why I haven't actually bought or played ORAS yet. I'm afraid it'll ruin my memories, that it won't be as good as it was.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Now that I think about it... is Victini the only event legendary with an in-game event that we got his event for? like, everyone else was just via the legendary being handed to us despite a whole even being made for them.

they only started really loving up with that midway through Gen IV. The Deoxys event happened. Jirachi never had an in-game event. Shaymin and Darkrai also both happened. but the Arceus cockup probably soured them on making the event legendaries really integrated into the game. So in BW they had things you could do with the event legendaries once you had them, with Keldeo having an exclusive move, Meloetta having a form activated by an exclusive move, and Genesect having that drive thing. with XY the event legendaries now seem mostly detached from the game, and I don't know what the point even is with them. I appreciate that Deoxys is no longer an event legendary, and I hope Sun/Moon resolves the problem with the rest in some way. at least there will be legit Mews everywhere thanks to VC Red/Blue and PokeBank.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I'm so fuckin excited to make new teams in Gen 7 yall. Experimenting on showdown back in pre-bank X/Y, just seeing what worked and what didn't and trying to find the niche for all the new stuff was a hoot and I wanna do it again. bring on the mons

praying for Pyukumuku to actually be usable.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I liked it when the sun and moon fire starter's final form was part fighting.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

i want the mangosteen thing to evolve into something good, or just to be good, so i can name it lowtax and use it on showdown

I will name mine Lowtax anyway. maybe even catch a whole bunch on release week, Lowtax1, Lowtax2, and so on, and wonder trade them all.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

dang, a Dragon/Fighting. that's awesome. and it's basically a punchy anklyosaur.

I like that Type: Null and its evolved form are crude attempts to replicate Arceus.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Some light news at the Milan Games Week, someone saw the mockups of the back the Sun and Moon boxes, confirming that Drampa and Turtonator are single stage Pokemon and may even be version exclusive.

https://twitter.com/Pokeshopper/status/787324997136179200

Also, Alolan Form plushes coming to a Japanese store nowhere near you!

Wait, how does the box confirm that Drampa and Turtonator are single stage?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

this one is in line with Alola Exeggutor in sheer silliness. Beautiful.

I will bet it is Ground/Fairy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

awww, I'm disappointed this happened. Stupid Nintendo, stupid dataminers, and stupid me for not bailing on this thread pages ago.

really surprised that Komala is single-stage, and that the toucan is Pikipek's final form.
I guess I'm not at all surprised that they didn't add that many more new Pokemon, though.

at least we don't know anything about them.

So, the Alola Pokemon lineup is like:
1. Rowlet
2. Dartrix
3. archer owl
4. Litten
5. Torracat
6. heel tiger
7. Popplio
8. Brionne
9. pop star siren
10. Pikipek
11. half-toucan/half woodpecker
12. toucan
13. Yungoos
14. Gumshoos
15. Grubbin
16. Charjabug
17. Vikavolt
18. Crabrawler
19. yeticrab
20. Oricorio
21. Cutiefly
22. Ribombee
23. Rockruff
24. Lycanroc
25. Wishiwashi
26. Lurantis
27. Fomantis
28. Stufful
29. Bewear
30. little freaky thing
31. big freaky thing
32. Morelull
33. shroomhead
34. Salandit
35. bigger Salandit
36. possibly a sea urchin
37. possibly a large sea urchin
38. Mudbray
39. Mudsdale
40. Turtonator
41. Drampa
42. anchor-thing
43. Sandygast
44. Palossand
45. Comfey
46. Wimpod
47. Badasspod
48. Komala
49. Bruxish
50. Type: Null
51. Silvally
52. Pyukumuku
53. Mimikyu
54. Oranguru
55. Passimian
56. Minior
57. Togedemaru
58. Bounsweet
59. Steenee
60. Tsareena
61. Jangmo-o
62. Hakamo-o
63. Kommo-o
64. Tapu Koko
65-67. Island guardians
68. little Lunala
69. Lunala
70. little Solgaleo
71. Solgaleo
72. Magearna
73. Marshadow

are the Ultra Beasts actually counted as Pokemon?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Zore posted:

No Dolphin though.

Which is weird as hell since 'rugby Monkey' is otherwise such an off the wall guess.

the blank spaces could have something. There's four blank spaces in a row, which means there could be a 2-stage line that just didn't get programmed into the demo.

but ugh, if there's no dolphin, I am sad. This was the PERFECT OPPORTUNITY.

also, does anyone else think the Alolan Geodude line might be Rock/Electric? and Alolan Diglett/Dugtrio may be Ground/Fairy?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Do we actually know for sure that the yeti crab is ice/fighting? I thought the leak didn't have any info on types.

We don't know it for sure, no, but it's the easiest guess ever. Crabrawler is Fighting type. the yeti crab looks all abominable snowman like, which lends itself to Ice type. done.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

It might be possible to chain breed Power-Up Punch onto it. Start with Lucario who learns it by level-up and then via e.g. Rhyhorn to Kangaskhan.

lol that's a lot of effort. RIP godKangaskhan.

and speaking of, I was telling a couple of guys the other day about Mega Kangaskhan, which they hadn't heard about before, and about how it learned Power-Up Punch. their jaws dropped. "That's broken." they said. well, I told them, Game Freak doesn't care about balance.
but I guess that's changed?

Speaking of all that, I'm wondering if it's possible very few Gen VII Pokemon will see OU competitive use. Kinda doubt either Robinhoot or Heeltiger will be up there, but Water/Fairy is a strong type combo, so if the siren has the right stats it could see use.
Turtonator might be decent, considering Fire/Dragon is a solid defensive typing with only three weaknesses (Rock/Ground/Dragon).
I guess Lycanroc Middday Form might see use as the rare fast rock type.
possibly Kommo-o, because it's likely the pseudolegendary.
Silvally will get booted to Ubers right quick.

maybe the Island guardians, if they're not too strong. They're all good typings (Electric/Fairy, and I assume based on Oricorio, Ghost/Fairy, Psychic/Fairy, and Fire/Fairy).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

nice to see confirmation Aether is as evil as we thought. definitely wouldn't have a bunch of unique battle intro screens if they were on the up and up.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Offensive wise, it shouldn't do too bad in the coverage department at least. Ghost is a very good attacking type right now, what with only 1 type resisting it, and 1 type immune to it.

I just hope the Alolan starters aren't as bad as the Unova ones. Those actually felt like they fell off as the game went on, and near the end of the campaign I was heavily tempted to bench them because they weren't doing as much work as the other mons I could get.

I don't use Unova starters in my Gen V game runs anymore. Emboar is boring and slow, Samurott has some fun moves but I don't really like the way it looks (and it's just Water type, eeeeugh), and Serperior...I found Snivy only slightly less challenging to use than Chikorita in the Gen II games, so it never got to Serperior before being ditched. Even when I did a grass type run. I replaced it with a Maractus bred with Wood Hammer. Worked out way better.

Just from how these starters look and their typings, I suspect they'll all be usable. Grass/Flying with actual good stats and level-up moves will probably be decent, and then Grass/Ghost will be mostly excellent. Incineroar will easily outclass the only others of its type, the Houndour line, but prior to that Litten/Torracat might be a bit limited by being quadrupedal. The Popplio line will be good from the get-go, but will get crazy good upon final evolution. I think Primarina will probably see competitive use, even.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

:toot:

finally got my Volcanion! Dunno if I'll do anything with it.

...why is the original trainer named Helen?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder who else will appear at the Battle Tree. I don't imagine there will be as many surprise appearances as in PWT, but I still expect to see a few more characters from past games. Not sure if we'll see any gym leaders.

but I would expect Lance, Steven, Alder, Iris, and Barry. Cynthia indicates we'll see Champions, and Wally indicates we may encounter other rivals. Would love to see Silver.
I also wonder if we might encounter Giovanni. Giovanni truthers unite, he ain't dead, he just thought Neo Team Rocket was pathetic and not worth his time.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I just don't understand not liking the Whismur line. They're cool and fun to use! Especially because Gen VI gives them a nice big present in the form of Boomburst. I actually had both Exploud and Noivern on my first X team, they were the Boom Bros. :3:

I guess my least favorites are mostly awkward middle evolutions, and pointless trash like the Burmy family and the Pidove family. AND MILOTIC. gently caress MILOTIC. it is not beautiful. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like people are coming around on Incineroar, which is good, because the design is excellent, and it is HEEL TIGER. still going with owl, but there should be no more Incineroar hate in this thread.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

oh, this is neat. Seems like Decidueye doesn't have an ideal stat build, but WHATEVER. Owl Buddy will prevail, I don't need him/her (depends on my patience for reloading) to be OU.

ALSO, Absolutely everyone was right about the Aether Foundation, and something the leaker posted suggests that not Guzma, but Gladion does a heel face turn. Probably he went undercover in Team Skull to begin with, which is cool. Still hoping my theory that Lillie, Gladion, and Lusamine are siblings is correct. I mean, they have exactly the same eye and hair color. THAT CAN'T BE A COINCIDENCE.

Also, relieved Wimpod's evolved form stays Bug/Water, and it looks like we have another Bug/Water family to go with it, maybe one more special-oriented.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I want to know when I'm going to die.

Pretty sure that if there isn't already a ghost Pokemon that does that, there will be.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I'm focusing on going through the game before exploring most of the game's deeper features, but I kinda love the SOS system. It's very silly. It hasn't yet caused my team to wipe out, but then I'm always a bit overleveled now. Also, I got an underleveled Shelgon (lv 16, lol), so yeah, love it forever. also just kept running into Panchams that like to summon Pangoros tonight. Caught the first one I saw, and the next few were bags of experience.

My big issue is an embarrassment of riches in terms of usable Pokemon. I did a team rotation in my first run of X, and I remember that fondly. But here is the thing about that - I got bogged down at multiple points making sure all of my friends were equally leveled. Every time I'd make a tough call and swap one out of the party, I'd catch another one that I'd want to try out.

ugggh.

as I write this, also caught a level 16 Gyarados in Paniola Town.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

I think it's really dumb if it truly is a strict "original 150" pokédex and doesn't include the added evolutions and baby forms from later generations. Also, throw some Alolan forms in there, at least the less climate-related ones (Rattata, Meowth)

yeah, I feel like by all rights the Kanto Pokedex shouldn't ignore the Pokemon related to the originals. It'd be too much like in FRLG when your Golbat just won't evolve, for REASONS. :smith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

hangedman1984 posted:

Why are you a hateful cruel person? Tie-dye Muk is beautiful and if you can't understand that then you don't deserve it.

co-sign. adding Dark type also made Muk crazy-better. It is only weak to Ground type moves, and offensively counters Psychic and Ghost types.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

whos your favorite pikachu clone i like emolga

I like all of them except Plusle and Minun. I have a plush Pachirisu, and would buy an Emolga, Dedenne or Togedemaru if I ever saw one for sale at GameStop/Barnes & Noble/wherever else has plushies for sale.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

HMs wouldn't have been as offensive to me if any of them besides Surf and sometimes Waterfall were worth using in battle.

depending on when you get it, Strength can be pretty decent. Rock Climb was...okay.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I've never used Lileep before, but it's shockingly decent in Alpha Sapphire once it starts learning good moves. Also teaching it Toxic helps, it's damned tanky.

also I've never thought about it before, but Rock/Grass is such a bizarre typing because those two types nullify each other's weaknesses six times.

Water is good against Rock but Grass resists Rock
Fire is good against Grass but Rock resists Fire
Grass is good against Rock but Grass resists Grass
Poison is good against Grass but Rock resists Poison
Ground is good against Rock but Grass resists Ground
Flying is good against Grass but Rock resists Flying

and its weaknesses are the random grab bag of Fighting, Steel, Ice, and Bug.

I also came to the shocking realization I've never seriously tried to use Jigglypuff before, and am now rectifying that.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Exploud is the superior noise maker pokemon, even if it doesnt get a second typing. :colbert:

I used Exploud in both X and Alpha Sapphire, lol. Boomburst is, as the kids would say, lit. 140 base damage, 100 accuracy, and 10 PP. With no bad consequences outside of doubles. lmao what is this OP nonsense? and Exploud is the only one that can really take advantage of its power to the fullest. In competitive that still might not be enough to rocket Exploud to the top, but using Exploud in-game in gen VI is just pressing the win button over and over.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOF-SijlAU8&feature=youtu.be

This is a pretty cool lecture about how Masuda made the Lavender Town and Pokemon Mansion tracks so unsettling. The same guy also transcribed the entire Red/Blue score (which is more insane than you'd think, 99.99999% due to Pokemon Mansion). really made me think about how Masuda's music has been crucial to the success of the games, because of how good he is at evoking the desired emotions in the player.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Once I learned there would be a proper Gen VIII game in 2019, I lost all ability to be angry about the Let's Go games. They look cute and kids will have a good time. and surfing Pikachu is now 100% real and cool. And having wild Pokemon encounters be overworld is a welcome change that should carry over to the main games. And Repels could mean when you get anywhere near them, they freak out, have a cute panic animation, and scamper off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Late to the Charjabug is great party, but it really is, and I have a plush one. I was shocked to find a high quality one at GameStop, and it was the plushest Pokemon plush there. :3:

Also it pisses me off that it evolves from a strong physical attacker to a special attacker. Next time I run through Moon, may just not evolve mine. Very usable anyway.