Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Oh man I love that band

Just beat the electric trial. I love how they kinda fake you out with how the trials are gonna go, with the first one being just oh hunt down these lovely pokemon until the door to the totem opens, and then the water one is a bit more involved, with amusing NPC interactions, and then by the fire one all bets are off and they're just very funny and entertaining while still maintaining the general gist of beating up some lovely pokemons until the big one shows up

Fairy one is the best:

"Hi, I'm a Captain. Here's a Z-Crystal. Maybe I should make a challenge sometime."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel sorta bad that I'm using the In-game trade pokemon to carry my team through the game. Otoh, the Tsareena and Machoke make perfect teammates for my Incineroar's wrestling team

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I found a Shiny Oricorio while leveling up mons to fill out the Pokedex. Still the rudest bird when it comes to capture rates and had to settle on a Repeat Ball instead of something cool. I'm tempted to used this on my team for shits and giggles. What's the best type?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Woop, more WT luck - got a A-Vulpix with hidden ability and Moonblast bred on, in a beast ball. OT isn't the guy who WT'd it to me so I wonder if he didn't realize it was good?

It might not have the nature or ivs they wanted or they were looking for a shiny

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oddium posted:

i wish iwata had crunched enough data down to add the baby meowth. and the cat hoppip

Just kick out some of the other Gen 2 Pokemon that weren't really interesting. Quilfish was definitely cuttable after its evolution was also cut. Idk where Dunsparce showed up in develpoment, but that one could have also not been needed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

less laughter posted:

No it's 100% real.

Are they sure it's not just a level placeholder set at 1?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Look up where some of these crazy-rear end Sonic The Hedgehog 2 prototypes came from.

I believe the current rumor for the source of this ROM is that the original owner died and it was sold off in an estate sale and got picked up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I asked this in the Let's Play Sandcastle, but I think I'll get more feedback here.

I want to do an LP that spans basically all of the regions in the Pokemon games starting from FR/LG in Gen 3 to S/M or US/UM in Gen 7. This will all be done via emulation. Rather than starting a new team in each game, the team of the previous gen will be bred and the eggs/hatched pokemon will be transferred into the new game (or hacked in in the later generations). To make it actually interesting I was thinking of adding some Nuzlocke rules to actually make things suspenseful and challenging as just running through all of the games with an intergenerational team seems not quite as interesting on its face (One catch per area seems like a good rule to start with). Regions in games wont be repeated besides Kanto so picking between RSE and ORAS as well as BW vs. B2W2 and SM vs. USUM will need to be decided beforehand as well.

One big thing is that this is my first time doing an LP so idk if I'm biting off more than I can chew. Also, I'm trying to gauge if there'd be any interest in another Pokemon LP and what I can do to make it interesting enough to follow besides just making another Nuzlocke run.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kikas posted:

Going through the generations sequentally is kinda what Crosspiece is doing, maybe he can tell you more about that. And running the same team through 6 gens will get boring IMO, you don't get to show off any new additions and lock yourself to Kanto Pokemon. Also Nuzlockes are way better in comic form than in LP form if you want an audience for it.

It's definitely not gonna be the same team if I can help it, but I'm sure there'll be some sort of dynastic line running at a certain point. Breeding is meant to be done with two different pokemon if available and the LP itself is gonna be a by post one in the LP sub forum. I don't have the stuff for editing a video LP at this point other than pulling screens.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Yo, wasn't planning on doing all the games in a row, or even some of the side games, but hey, I'm loving it.

A Pokemon LP is a pretty big investment, so if you've got the screenshot tech down, then you'll be fine, though you've got to consider what you'll be keeping in. I have around 300 images per update spanning around 30 updates per LP, so it can be a lot, though you won't be going in as much depth as I am, so maybe you'll have like 20 updates per game. No need to do every side thing if you're planning to go through every game. Otherwise, you should go ORAS instead of RSE, BW AND B2W2, and USUM instead of SM. You should also trade the Eggs over so they're your OT, or they'll get a bunch of exp and make everything too easy.

The main problem is this is a big project for your first ever LP. I think you should do an FRLG nuzlocke and then see how you feel at the end of it, if you fancy continuing on to Gen 4. I also think you should transfer your old mons forward, but just get a new team so you have something new and exciting to go over, as 5 LPs of the same six Kanto mons that reset in level each time might not be too exciting, but since you're doing a nuzlocke, who's to say they'll survive the entire trip? Best of luck to ya!

Doing an LP of FRLG first seems like the best course of action and yeah, I forgot about the EXP bonus from having traded over pokemon so Hatching from 3 to 4 at least will be what I'll do. Beyond that, when I start hacking them in (and learning how to do it), I'll make sure the OT is the new one.

As far as a Nuzlocke goes, it's more of a matter of adding an element of challenge and narrative assistance since I'm not confident about spinning one up out of whole cloth. Side stuff will largely be ignored, but I'll have to play it by ear.

Oh, and I haven't played any of the games between FRLG and SM so I'd be going into them blind which is its own kettle of fish. Doing both BW and B2W2 is probably lost on me as a consequence at this point.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The transliteration of Sizzly Slide is "[SFX of burning] Burn" so they could've named it Sizzling Strike or something and sound less bad while keeping the alliteration. Buzzy Buzz could've been Buzzy Bolt or something. The translation of the names just sound so :effort:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RME posted:

Even Pokémon is an isekai now
What a world

Japan is obsessed with the genre right now so it makes sense. It's only missing the protagonist dying before waking up in the Pokemon world.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Especially Evee as seeing as it has powerful moves that correspond to various elements at its disposal why would you ever need to use another Pokemon in battle?

What's the maximum amount of Coverage you can have with an Eevee?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

I'm pretty sure it's got a Fire, Water, Grass, and Electric attack at any rate but I'm not sure about the other types.

So assuming it's got an attack based on each of its Evolutions, what's the maximum amount of coverage you can get with that Eevee?

Jade Mage posted:

Isn't larvitar heavy as hell? I can't imagine carrying one of those rock-eating suckers around on my shoulder.

It's only a little under 160lbs. It's also only 2ft tall.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I want those unused babies from the GS beta to become realized

I want my baby Paras, Meowth, Tangela, Doduo, Girafarig, Ponyta, Grimer, and Growlithe,

:same: for the first three. Nah to the Doduo one. I don't believe Girafarig had one unless you mean the two headed ghost. I could go either way on the last three.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I would say so! FRLG drove me crazy because they're far too faithful to the originals. I've noticed some rejiggering of movepools. For example, Bulbasaur learned Vine Whip a lot earlier. Also Vine Whip is more powerful and has more PP, but that might have been a change made since Gen 1. When my Abra evolved, it learned Psybeam instead of Confusion, heck of an upgrade, that. Mega Drain also got buffed, up to base power 75. There are probably more differences, but those are some that stood out to me.

Starting with Charmander was a lot harder in FRLG because instead of Bide, Brock had Rock Tomb which hosed all but three possible Pokemon you could catch and of those, only one had attacks that were effective on both the Geodude and Onix. Charmander did get Metal Claw, but it could still get ruined by Rock Tomb.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Any pokemon that gets focus usually gets buffed to stand alongside better pokemon

Eevee gets the Eviolite and a free +2 to everything Z-Move
Pikachu gets the Light Ball and no fewer than three Z-moves, two of which are exclusive
Greninja gets Protean
Charizard constantly gets screwed over by rocks but hey, it's now actually a dragon

Clefairy's a fairly solid support pokemon, but in games with maybe two double battles it gets heck-all

I remember reading that during the R/G development, Flying was also meant to include Draconic pokemon (i.e. Charizard and possibly Gyrados and Aerodactyl) and Dragon type wasn't a thing. Tehy reversed that for the inclusion of the Dragonite line, but never granted the Dragon type to anything else as it was supposed to be special. I forget where I read this and if it was true though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Someone whose good at maths calculate all the possible Eevees given up to two types, not counting mega evolves. Then name and draw them

There are 171 different possible type combinations. 8 already exists leaving 163 to go. Someone else can draw and name them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Wild guesses on Secondary starter typing

Grass/Rock or Grass/Dark. Grookey's gonna turn into a punk rock drummer.
Fire/Ground or Fire/Electric. Scorbunny is gonna be a soccer footballer.
Water/Dark (again) or Water/Psychic. No idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Winklebottom posted:

Cyndaquil isn't a rat either but it still fits pretty well

It just doesn't fit. You could try and stretch Cyndaquil to being a hedgehog except that it's original japanese name is a reference to Porcupines (yamaarashi, lit. wasteland in mountain (idk)) and not hedgehogs (harinezumi, lit. needle rodent)