Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Step 2: Put every mod in the OP into one single .exe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The best mods are ones that contain features that I'd never considered before, and now can no longer live without.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Too late. How does it gently caress things up?

While loading more grids sounds good in theory its an exponential growth on resources used. Not to mention it can cause certain events to trigger when you aren't even close to them, since the game was built around having a certain amount of grids loaded. From memory you can't revert to a lower setting once you've saved the game on a higher setting, otherwise your game is just hosed. Thats how it was in New Vegas anyway.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Huh, I've played with 7 set for ages and it's never obviously caused any problems.

Pretty sure 7 is the absolute highest you should take it, it's 9 and above that starts to see serious issues.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Red Mundus posted:

They really are, and they are compatible with almost any mod out there. The modder really went to town to not only create everything from scratch but to make a custom race that could be slotted into any game and be compatible with everything. It's ridiculous. All that for a one-off race for a decade+ old game.

And he didn't even give them blowjob animations? Pssh.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Obvious solution: Make Mage Robes just clothes that were just enchanted with the enchanting skill.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Section Z posted:

Are there any of these combat overhaul mods (Wildcat does look simple enough for me to want to try someday), that deal with the whole "After a point. being hit by magic sucks huge balls compared to being hit by any amount of weaponry" thing?

The secret to making combat in these games fun isn't necessarily to make combat significantly harder, but instead to bump up the number of spawns with something like ASIS. It's so much more fun to take out 10 semi weak guys than 1 huge damage sponge. The same thing applies to the Fallout games too. If you're skeptical, I urge you to try it at least once and then I think you'll see what I mean.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I mean he has a point. I've played Skyrim quite a bit but I never even got to the point where a DLC started. Since this is the modding thread I'm willing to bet I'm not alone.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

scamtank posted:

if you haven't reached level 9 in a standard leveling pace playthrough, wowie that's some dedicated restarting action

:smith: Last timed I played Skyrim I put too many difficulty mods on and got absolutely stomped by the zombie wizard at the end of the quest that gets you the very first dragon shout. In the end I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd rather be playing New Vegas so I just played that instead.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 7, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've never made a mod before but it seems like someone posting a 3/4 out of 5 with an explanation on how it could be better would be the best case scenario from an author's standpoint.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'd much rather play a TC of Skyrim that removed everything but the butterfly collecting, honestly, were it not for the fact that I've had fast travel disabled for awhile and... Skyrim's just not that fun to move through. Some of the environments are quite spectacular but they lack the character and density of FO4, which really made the most of disabling fast travel. Skyrim has its biomes but they're not as stimulating as a massive city ruin.

I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like you would like Enderal

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

sebmojo posted:

tips hat

don't tell reddit they will call it mod piracy and ban u

https://www.reddit.com/r/modpiracy/ ?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Transmetropolitan posted:

Funnily enough, even with those fundamental fixes, I started the game, the cart flipped over at the beginning and got stuck sideways on a rock :v:

This is actually a modding rite of passage. You are now One Of Us.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There must be some combination of mods to make combat fun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nahrix posted:

I never beat Skyrim when I first played it. I got through the Thieve's Guild questline, and then I got fed up with all of the quirks, and instead went into modding mayhem. Then I got bored, and moved on.

The one thing that was bugging me about Skyrim was: did I choose to stop playing because it was a bad game, or was I just too spergy to let go of the details and appreciate the whole? SSE answered that question; I am, indeed, far too spergy. This game is amazing, and adding mods is just as fun as the game itself, when everything runs perfectly. I wish I played it like this the first time around.

I find it really weird that the SSE has renewed peoples hype for Skyrim. I've seen a ton of posts with this same basic story. And the hype for its release on Nintendo Switch is doubly confusing

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I used to have this hilarious gif of a guy in Skyrim flying through the air with a massive physics dong spinning around, but I lost it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I don't really want to start googling for it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hobo on Fire posted:

Physics enabled floppy dongs are something everyone who mods skyrim should experience.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

You have brought me joy. Thank you, sir... thank you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Monolith. posted:

I tried Wildcat, got one shot, and uninstalled it.

Well yeah you installed an increased difficulty mod that is intended to increase the lethality of combat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Been playing Morrowind with MGO (Morrowind Graphics (and sound) Overhaul) and Morrowind Rebirth + Tamriel Rebuilt just for kicks. This poo poo does not play around. Took me like a full day of wandering to get to level 2, this will come quicker now that I have discovered how to make 1 mana spells for training but I don't really like the idea of jamming a button over and over. Also found a Practice Dummy that seems to allow me to level up melee stuff to a certain extent. Any tips for leveling up Sneak and Security? I'm using Madd Leveler so I don't need to know how to game the vanilla leveling system. I've also jacked the difficulty to max because I hate myself, and because I love games where you start off as the scrubbiest of scrubs and slowly work your way to godhood.

I checked beforeiplay.com and it was basically just spoilers on how to break the early game, which is the exact opposite of what should be on that page.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 7, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I somehow missed that thread, thanks

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Skyrim is a game that everyone wants to be good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

wormil posted:

Currently have an i5-2400 and 1050 ti, will I see much improvement in Skyrim if I up to a gtx 1060? The 1050 ti is running about 99% a lot of the time and I've had to uninstall a couple mods to keep the framerate up. The i5-2400 might also be limiting me a bit, I'm seeing only 70-80% utilization on the cpu but it's getting hot. Eventually I will upgrade the whole system, just waiting for hardware prices and options to settle a bit.

Maybe I'm way off here but that seems rather strange considering Skyrim came out in 2011. No even reasonably modern computer should be struggling with it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

it's pretty fun. if you liked the museum of artifacts in mournhold this is that with some quests attached. and for every 10 items you deliver you get a neat reward

it also allows you to go full on collector OCD and has museum slots for basically every unique item in the game.

that, and it autopatches itself to whichever other mods you have installed make it really cool. haters vacate

This sounds like everything I've ever wanted in one of these games. It's like the wall in the Lombard Station mod in New Vegas, only 100x better. I love sneaking around, I love looting, and I love collecting this loot. Skyrim's biggest crime, in my eyes, was a massive lack of cool loot.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
People don't make mod packs for these games, for some reason. I think it's because they don't want to pull downloads away from the individual mods.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NihilCredo posted:

Indeed, Big Cocks of Skyrim is worth every FPS.

Asking for re-post of the "Man Flying Through Air While Massive Dong Flails About" gif because I forgot to save it last time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Raygereio posted:

What I saying is, gently caress FO4. There's nothing redeemable about that game.

That's not true, it has very good graphics.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
One look at Dogmeat and its obvious how much better the graphics are. At least give it credit for that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anything that cuts down on pointless busywork is fine by me. I've recently been taking into consideration how games respect my time when forming opinions of them, which isn't something I really thought about before. In this case, you can respect your own time with a mod like that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Internet Kraken posted:

Weight exists to keep your from just blindly looting everything you see. If you want to do that anyways you might as well just mod out weight/make it irrelevant.

I agree with you. I usually do just mod my carry weight. That's because if I come across loot I want I'm not going to say to myself "welp, can't carry it, guess I'll just leave it here", instead I am going to do the logical thing and go back to my house/storage and make room for the loot I found. Then you end up doing this like 500 times.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Internet Kraken posted:

You can simulate the original design if you restrict your use of fast travel. I only fast travel while at major settlements, so when I'm just roaming the wilderness the weight limit is actually relevant. But yes, if you fully "abuse" instant fast travel and storage then weight limit is almost entirely pointless. And you can't fault someone for doing that since A) its literally just using the mechanics in their intended fashion and B) its circumventing a mechanic that isn't terribly interesting in the first place.

A bigger problem to me is that I don't have any reason to actually keep looting now. I'm setting on 15k gold and have nothing to spend it on. Merchants don't carry gear for me to upgrade too and I already bought all the spells I need at the moment. So why keep picking stuff up? I wish there was more stuff to spend gold on but admittedly I have no idea what that would be.

I admire your ability to accumulate a decent amount of wealth and then decide "I have enough" because most people don't have that sort of self control.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Once per hold. But still it's pretty loving hilarious to straight up murder an extremely prominent noble right in the middle of an extremely public event and have the guards go "Oh right, you're a thane, I'll let you off THIS TIME."

People in political power getting a free pass to commit crimes? Sounds realistic to me.

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone explain why trolls always drop two of their skull

Don't fantasy trolls have a tendency to have two heads? Maybe its related to that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Internet Kraken posted:

Radiant quests always get put into the misc tab so its pretty easy to ignore them.

Its the main quest log being filled that drives me nuts. You go to finish one quest and you pick up two more on the way. An endless cycle!

But thats infinite gameplay!!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the Morrowind way is best. Allow you to kill NPCs then notify you that you may have screwed up your game

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

drat, I need to give obliv another shot O_O that looks so good.

Do you have images of npcs?

no, dont

docbeard posted:

How do you play as a stealth archer? Do you, like, install mods from across the room under a blanket or something?

Step 1) Stealth
Step 2) Arch

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Internet Kraken posted:

Stealth in these games is a lot more fun when you;

-break compulsive reloading habits and deal with consequences

Why would anyone ever do this. Quicksave FOR LIFE. Just lol if you aren't Nicolas Cage from Next, living in the perfect timeline

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 6, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Peachy Poo posted:

Wow. I haven't seriously played Skyrim in years, at most I'd load up my rickety-rear end unstable oldrim install a couple times a year, play for a couple hours, and then not touch it again for months. Over the last week, I read the last couple of months of this thread, and finally decided to try out SE. Based on what I saw in here, I followed the tuco guide (holy poo poo this took me forever), and loaded up on every single one of Enai's mods. I'd played with apocalypse before, and heard of ordinator, but I didn't realize they were made by the same person who also had so many other mods.

It's like a whole new game, I'm super impressed. It looks downright beautiful, and the RP value and amount of weird character build stuff Enai's mods allow is insane. I can't believe it's 2019 and I'm excited to play Skyrim again. So thanks for the recommendations!

I decided to try out Enai's mods but I couldn't get them to work for the life of me. Spent forever trying to figure it out. Eventually I realize I downloaded them all for Oldrim.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Been playing this in VR. This game used to bore the poo poo out of me, now it's the most enthralling, amazing thing on this planet Earth.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
After messing around with MO2 and NMM and having a rough time of it (mainly due to them not natively supporting Skyrim VR, so you have to do a workaround), Vortex is extremely good. The only issue I have with it is that its not immediately obvious how to manually sort the load order (as it has some sort of auto sorting).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know I'm super late to the party on this, but Apocalypse has some really neat spells. Like right now for instance I'm getting a lot of use out of an illusion spell that makes a copy of the enemy you're fighting that does the same damage but has 1 hp. It's really neat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Its Coke posted:

Is Nexus Mod Manager the recommended way to manage mods?

I've been using Vortex and it's been pretty great. It has this feature where it tells you exactly what files are conflicting between two mods and asks you which file you'd rather use. I'm not sure if thats a standard thing or not but I really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Its Coke posted:

Any good weather mods compatible with Enhanced Light and FX?

My pretty basic research on this topic lead me to Obsidian Weathers, in the end. It just seemed the best looking to me.