Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I am the author of the crazy SPERG-Ordinator-CACO patch.

If it's buggy, meh. I'm not touching it again until after the Special Edition is out, unless my PC will be unable to run Special Edition at all. No point in trying to mod something I can't even use. Not to mention it'd require an SKSE for SPERG and CACO, as well as a SkyUI for the MCM for Special Edition.

I will be satisfied if it would just work right out of the gate once those things are fulfilled.

It does not require Ordinator in the slightest. Ordinator does touch the perks that CACO touches. But SPERG does it slightly better. More balanced. The entire alchemy tree with the mod is basically just SPERG with a couple of CACO features tacked in. And ingredient lists with effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The "hardcore mentality" for games seems like "dark souls is too easy. Let's make it harder than dark souls. A wolf biting you should be able to kill you in one small nibble. A bandit hitting you with the blunt edge of a iron dagger should make you die instantly even if you're wearing full daedric armor. They should be able to survive 20 smashes of your daedric warhammer."

The "difficulty" people seem to get with the game is "oh let's make it harder because it's too easy when I just use stealth archery for everything."

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The main issue I have with the STEP guide is like "Here's how to start modding: THE GAME LOOKS LIKE GARBAGE SO LET'S CHANGE EVERYTHING. IGNORE OVERHAULS THE GRAPHICS IS GAMEPLAY"

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

davey4283 posted:

And these mods all work with vanilla skyrim (no DLC)?

You need to get the Unofficial Skyrim Patch then. It's no longer being maintained as most people will have all the DLC.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Steam allows refunds, you know.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I got the same invitation to the modders only subforum.

I won't participate. I will stand aside and watch from a distance.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Older Windows OSes were worse about memory management. Also people didn't have as much RAM back in the day. Back when Oblivion was released in 2006, 1GB of RAM was probably the average the normal user would have. Obviously these days even a computer you buy off the shelf will be able to play Oblivion pretty well, even off an onboard video card.
Back in 2006, restarting would free up that precious amount of RAM you had. These days, restarting your computer won't do much to improve the stability of the game.

I've only had to restart my PC after a game crashed about probably 3 times in the past 5 years. And that was when the game crashed and hardlocked my PC.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

So, what's the opinion on extracting mod BSAs in Mod Organizer in here? I ask because both the USLEEP and Unofficial High-Res Patch pages seem to be vehemently against doing anything of the sort for fear of loving things up in-game, but extracting's been my general practice using MO recently with New Vegas, as well as prior mod installs of Skyrim (I think the last one I did was in... 2013, maybe?).

I generally prefer doing so because I like to see the conflicts in MO rather than trusting that the program is sorting it all out behind-the-scenes, but what I've read elsewhere seems to indicate that it doesn't really matter either way UNLESS you start mixing update files containing BSAs with main files with extracted archives. In any case, do the foretellings of buggy doom on the USLEEP page have some weight to them, or is Arthmoor just blowing smoke as he is apparently wont to do?

Arthmoor is against Mod Organizer. He also is against STEP.
Just ignore Arthmoor's advice about not extracting BSA files. He will throw a fit because he thinks it'll break things. But Arthmoor probably also supports Nexus Mod Manager and installing stuff to your Data folder instead of putting it in a virtual folder which actually makes sense.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Hopefully this means NMM uses a virtual data directory and doesn't overwrite stuff just because you installed things in the wrong order.
You know, like Mod Organizer.
I'll probably still just use Mod Organizer rather than NMM.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Subjectively rating a mod lower and writing a perfectly good reason makes sense. You might as well just have a 1/5 and 5/5 and don't let people choose anything in between if you want your hugbox for mod authors.
If someone gives a mod I made a 1/5 I don't care. If they give it 4/5 and attach a good reason, that's constructive criticism, and lets you make changes instead of blindly going 'THIS GUY IS TROLL LET'S SLAM HIM FOR GIVING MY VISION A LESS THAN PERFECT SCORE'

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

They probably are also into the entire 'safe space' thing and had their parents always tell them they are the best and they can do no wrong.

Will they rage if they manage to get a job if their boss criticizes their work? They need to realize the real world is harsh.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Davoren posted:

I actually don't mind this, might even be cool if the fights at each one are set up to be challenging and fun, it just makes me laugh because the oblivion gate thing was my first time hearing about him.

The problem is that people would tear down the structures. They don't want to wander around and suddenly be reminded of something that happened centuries ago. ESO took place in 2E 583. 2E 867 is when Tiber Septim said the 3rd era would begin. 3E 433 is when the Oblivion crisis began, and began the 4th era. 4E 201 is when Skyrim takes place.
I am pretty sure that 1 millenium is enough for people to get rid of the Dolmens or to have the land itself swallow them up.

I severely doubt people would see the Oblivion gates and go "yeah that should stay. We should be reminded of when the daedra almost destroyed Tamriel." The same would go with the Dolmens and people going "yeah that should stay. We should remember when Molag Bal tried to bring Tamriel into his plane of Oblivion."

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Can't be a true Dolmen without an absolute clusterfuck of people showing up to claim the loot as soon as the fight breaks out.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Any goons have experience with creating mods that add craftable upgrades (via grindstone/workbench/etc) that include variables from other mods?

It's a pain in the rear end to do so.
And yes, I have done so.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I figured, but with the idea I have in mind, it was worth the ask.
That's probably the biggest hurdle, other than, you know, using Creation Kit to make my very first mod.

I did it using just TES5Edit.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Arthmoor is a talented modder.
He has a toxic personality. Basically a virtual file system is the devil, and you should always install mods manually or use Wyre. Make sure you actually put them in the Data folder! Never ever extract your .bsa files. You'll break things. Do you know how many times Arthmoor had to do tech support for someone who installed his files and extracted the .bsa file manually?
Probably once, when he did it himself as he's against Mod Organizer and think any mod manager is upsetting his vision.
At least he doesn't go "Steam Workshop only".

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Source your quotes.

Speculation because of the way he seems to be toxic against Mod Organizer and extracting .bsa files.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

If anyone wants to take the mods I've made on the Nexus and convert em to Special Edition, go ahead.

I can't run Special Edition on my dinosaur of a PC.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

You don't need to be able to run it. You just need to download it and the creation kit.

You might need to open it up once, so if you have an ancient video card without Dx11 support you're out of look there I suppose.

So I should download a 12GB game to update a mod I made with TES5Edit. Got it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Oh boy, someone asked about SPERG+Ordinator!
Someone combined them for Oldrim.

Some else made a patch that makes SPERG + CACO work better with Ordinator. Or you can just use it for SPERG+CACO. I actually found out that when I made the patch that I was using absolutely no Ordinator perks.

Again, these are for Oldrim. I am not going to update SPERG+CACO+Ordinator patch for Skyrim SE. Can't run it, not downloading 10GB to save and exit a mod. Besides the fact SKSE is required, and SPERG would need to work for SSE.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 6, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

aioli is just mayo posted:

Thank you for the work you did, was pretty fun playing with both.

I did not make SPERG+Ordinator.

I only did the SPERG+Ordinator+CACO patch.

It's more of a SPERG+CACO patch, to be honest.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

:magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Just to see how they did things, I tried out Vortex and immediately uninstalled it after 10 minutes because they didn't fix the main problems.

You NEED to keep the archives for mods. Also it installs them to your data folder.

It's not a symbolic link. It straight out copies them. MO2 is still superior.