Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

I've never had a problem with loot, it fucks up mods occasionally but you can trivially configure specific mods to load after others.

If you're just plugging in 200 mods and not looking at the result it's probably going to cause you grief, that's a lot of mods and no tool is going to do that perfectly. I generally sanity check after I install a new mod and run it and more often than not it's in the right place.

As someone who also used to manually load huge mod lists, it's way better than the alternative. Just spot check it after you run it.

I’ve been experimenting with Skyrim modding for a little bit now and the only mod I’ve really encountered so far that LOOT can’t wrap its head around is RSkyrim Children because of the second ESP in it that needs to go at the very end of your load order otherwise all the kids it alters end up looking like bald potato monsters. LOOT loves to put that one for some dumbfuck reason right in the middle of the load order and I always have to fix it manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Raygereio posted:

My awkward Skyrim confession is that I like Serana as a companion.

You’re not alone. I did Dawnguard after Helgen Reborn, so at the end of the DLC I convinced her to cure herself and then brought her with me and used My Home Is Your Home to plant her in Helgen with all my cool Helgen homies, so now she hangs out there and helps them rebuild the town. Because gently caress those dreary Dawngaurd fucks, Serana’s too good for them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Like, playing the whole Forgotten Vale segment of Dawnguard with a good ENB is really cool, in all seriousness. I got there in the middle of the night and timed it well enough so that I beat Vyrthur pretty much right at daybreak so my reward was to watch a beautiful sunrise over the mountains from the top of the Shrine of Auriel.

The Soul Carin was garbage though. Ghost Horse was cool and all, but I fell victim to that wonderful Bethesda bug where if you pick up even one of the crazy dude's manuscript pages and then leave the Cairn without fully completing his quest, it tears your game apart until you go back and actually finish it. That was sure a load of horse poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

My mod setup for a playthrough I'm preparing whenever I feel like:

* Bugfixes and other essentials:
- SKSE64
- SkyUI
- USSEP
- SSE Engine Fixes
- Havok Fix
- Better Dialog Controls
- Better Messageboxes
- Customizable Camera

* Better character start:
- Racemenu
- ASLAL + more
- Hallgarth's Additional Vanilla Hair
- something for more eye colors maybe?

* Make the world feels more alive and active:
- RDO
- GDO
- BUVARP
- Run For Your Lives
- Immersive Patrols
- Immersive World Encounters
- Interesting NPCs
- Missives
- The Notice Board (+ Better Solstheim addon)

* Places to be, things to do:
- Beyond Skyrim Bruma
- Apotheosis: Lifeless Vaults
- Blackreach Railroad
- Hammet's Dungeon Pack
- Easier Rider's Dungeon Pack
- Skyrim Underground
- The Forgotten City
- Vigilant
- Darkend
- Ravengate
- Heimfeigr (conversion needed)
- Moonpath to Elsweyr
- Gray Cowl of Nocturnal

* Maybes
- Project AHO
- Wyrmstooth / Drachenzahn
- Falskaar

* More content:
- T'Skyrim - True Weapons
- Somewhat Historically Accurate Weapons and Norse Viking Gear
(some xEdit required since both have some overlap)
- Brigandage
- Common Clothes
- Adept - Magic of Ash
- Reach Magic
- Nightwielder Spire
- Witchhunter Spells & Prayers
- Rotmulaag + Paarthurnax Dilemma

* Better graphics:
- SMIM
- Ruin Clutter Improved
- LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Weapons
- Gemling Queen Jewelry
- Aetherial Crown
- Eye Normal Map Fix
- Superior Lore-Friendly Hair
- WACCF
- Better Foxes

* Critters
- Blood Horkers
- Karstaag - The Frost King Reborn
- Grahl - The Ice Troll
- SkyTEST and/or Animallica?

* Companions
- Inigo
- Lucien
- Benjamin Doon
- Vilja
- Mirai
- Auri (Song of the Green)

I’m seeing a distinct lack of Helgen Reborn on that list :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

It just rubs me the wrong way that this mod cannot be activated from the start.

It's not that much of a pain. Just have it deactivated in your load order, play through the opening till you clear Riverwood, save and quit, activate it and continue. You're missing out on a drat good mod for a relatively minor inconvenience.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RangerPL posted:

How does modded oldrim (with enb) hold up on Windows 10? I remember some anecdotal issues with stability when 10 came out.

I recently rebuilt my mod set up from the ground up one by one a few weeks ago. It was dodgy and unstable as poo poo until, ironically, I installed an ENB, at which point it levelled out and I have not had a crash yet running with over 200 rather complex mods.

So over all, rather well. Just make sure the ENB is like one of the first things you install.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bee posted:

Realtalk, I am amazed Beyond Skyrim is a thing that's still happening. But I'm also glad, especially since it seems like the two important parts (Cyrodil and Morrowind) are the ones with pre-release previews.

I keep checking in on their site like once a month and they seem to be making steady progress. Illiac Bay seems like it's coming along fairly well too. Hopefully at least one BS mod will be out in full by the end of 2019. Because Bruma is one hell of a tease compared to the total scope of the project.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bee posted:

That's the weirdest thing. A mod of this scope seems like it should be, like. A back of the napkin scrawling at best. Instead we have steady progress, active updates, consistent releases and preview mods. I don't even think we've seen a single self-destructive rant yet!

I think one of the projects (Valenwood, iirc) collapsed and it was just a matter of "It didn't work out with the team we'd put together, when/if we find another team who can work on it, we'll let you know."

Really, I just want them to release the HD texture pack for Bruma for Oldrim. The SSE version has the HD textures, but vanilla doesn't so it looks really out of place if you're playing with a bunch of HD mods like Rustic, Noble Skyrim and Book of Silence.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Download SE version, extract textures, use with Oldrim. Or just play SE since it's better. :colbert:

Sounds like they have some really aggressive version checking.

Also LOL if you let Skyrim update.

They’re locked up in .bsa’s, and trying to Frankenstein them in manually is an amazing disaster.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Entropic posted:

Beyond Skyrim will be ready in time for TES VIII.

And will be more stable than whatever VIII winds up being.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

potaties posted:

Are there any mods that let you dismiss a housecarl? I was gifted one, but I really prefer to not have some lady in clunky armor wandering around my house. Murdering them seems like going too far - I just want them to go back to whatever they were doing before I was made a Thane.

My Home Is Your Home.

It lets you assign anywhere in Skyrim as your follower’s “home” so that when you dismiss them, they return to that spot instead of their original or current home point. So just take your housecarl for a little joy ride and say take them to their jarl’s home or just in the middle of the woods and through a few simple dialog clicks you can deposit them wherever and they’ll stay there. Then when you go back to your house, it’ll be nice and empty again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DrNutt posted:

I've never played enough Skyrim to end up with a home + multiple followers but uh, what happens then? Do you just accumulate a collection of followers who hang out together in your house? I got and dismissed Faendral before I had a home and he just went right back to his woodpile.

I don’t really know, to be honest. I think housecarls go back to homes in their hold of origin—Lydia goes back to Breezehome in Whiterun, for example, if you dismiss her. But I’ve played the game with mods for so long that I don’t really even know how vanilla Skyrim treats followers.

This is why I liked using MHIYH and Helgen Reborn in tandem, because at the end of the quest line you functionally have an entire town that’s yours that you can plot your followers into with MHIYH to mill about it when they’re not out there with you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Have I been just ridiculously lucky somehow? I've never had a ctd on the PC version of Skyrim, except for times when the game wouldn't even start due to mod conflicts, which were generally fairly easy to resolve.

The game would crash all the time on my brother's PS3, but I figured that was because there was no unofficial patch on PS3.

Generally, I’d say yes. I had a really weird time with my latest mod set up where I had to redo my entire install process like three times because it would just crash on a hair trigger. It got to the point where I created a brand new vanilla save and just started loading mods into it one by one outside of Helgen cave to try and manually root out the one that was causing the crashes, and as it turned out the silver bullet that solved everything was installing an ENB. The second I did that it stopped crashing and has been completely stable for going on like 3 months now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The best way to handle a Daedric quest is tying Boethia's Calling to the Riverwood love triangle. Poison Camilla and Faendal's relationship so that Sven emerges victorious and lets you recruit him as a follower... then drag him away to Boethia's altar as a sacrifice the next day :devil:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

ugh that takes time and a vague sense of composition but fine i'll take some nice ones

have these to sate

I used to be an adventurer like you, until I took an ice bolt to the head.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Is there a recommended visual overhaul for NPCs that doesn't just turn every woman in the game into Playboy pinups? It's a bit weird to have these really nice looking followers and player character and then all the other NPCs (and especially the men) still look like dogshit.

Depends on what your definition of "pinup" is, but GCE NPCs Replacer has some decent and relatively lore friendly updates on certain key story NPCs. It kinda goes overboard on Serana and a lot of the housecarls, but its overhauls to folks like Ulfric, Tullius, Balgruuf, Lydia, Ralof, Rikke, Hadvar, and Delphine (the lore friendly older version at least) are fairly spot on. It's also modular so you can pick and chose what characters you want to replace if you think a lot of them look too ridiculous.

Smooth Faces for Ladies and Gents also cleans up a lot of the cragier folks around Skyrim without turning everyone into teenagers for no reason too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm Taylor Swift Elisif.

My ex-king brought his new housecarl
I'm like "Oh my god. I'm just gonna FUS-RO-DAH!"

e: Seriously though, I'm almost kind of impressed with how gamut running it is between "Oh this actually looks pretty good" and "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAAAACE?!"

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 16, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The only woman that looks right in that mod is Rikke.

I like inexplicably Japanese/Akaviri Serana.

I'd argue Lydia and Old Delphine look fine too. But everyone else who's not a part of this crew though is a write off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I always got the sense that Rikke, Ulfric, and Galmar were all roughly in the same age range so hobo grandpa Galmar isn't really doing it for me.

It's probably Paul Eiding's gravely old rear end man voice for him that makes people think otherwise. He sounds like Scandinavian Roy Campbell.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Addamere posted:

who is rikke

is she an imperial or something?

She's Tullius's second in command at Castle Dour in Solitude, his equivalent to Galmar on the Stormcloaks side. The only time you really encounter her is when you take the Greybeard's summons to Tullius in Season Unending, or if you follow the Imperial side of the civil war to its completion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Addamere posted:

ah, i never signed on with the imperials

but i looked her up and she is voiced by Claudia Christian

i have to go talk to her now and imagine it's ivanova telling me imperial things

Yeah that is kind of funny that between her and Tullius it's basically Commander Ivanova working for Colonel Tigh...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Addamere posted:

Need an NPC replacer mod that makes Tullius into one-eyed resistance fighter Tigh and Rikke into Ivanova complete with EarthForce uniform, thank

Tullius kinda looks like Michael Hogan already so just slap an eye patch on him and there you go.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I'm now picturing that movie's poster with Nick Cage wearing a horned helmet with a huge beard and the cars replaced with dragons and crap.

Someone please Photoshop that.

Calm in 60 Seconds

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2OYcgr4rM

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That Ignorant Sap posted:

You don't need to enter the College for the quest, you can just head north to his cave and the quest does continue normally.

Yes, but :pcgaming:IMMERSION:pcgaming:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Iverron posted:

Currently making my way through Beyond Skyrim Bruma and while it’s fantastic I’m 150 hours into this run of Skyrim and I’m running out of steam. Have the following mods left to play through installed:

Clockwork
Moon and Stars
Falskaar
Project AHO
Helgen Reborn

Any suggestions on what to prioritize, what to skip, anything I should play through instead?

Helgen Reborn's a good one to start with because you can follow it's questline from start to finish without really deviating to or from other places, plus you basically get an entire town of your own as a reward for finishing it, so why not do it first? Also if you haven't done it yet I'd recommend adding The Forgotten City to that list. Just beware, if you start TFC it's one of those questlines where there is no way to bail out on it unless you complete it or dive all the way back to a save from before you started it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
My ancestors actually play the game after modding it, imperial. Can you say the same?!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

My first time using Static Mesh Improvement, the cart basically rolled on it's side into Helgen. It's never done that since.

It's so delightfully hit or miss as to whether or not you'll actually make it into Helgen or not. I actually rode out the rollercoaster once and made it to the the proper start of the game only for everyone in the opening scene to start despawning one by one on me and holy poo poo was that a trip. Another time I tried it and I wound up on the road just standing outside the cart with Ralof, Ulfric, Lokir and the Imperial soldier unable to move as the wagon cartwheeled down the hill without us.

I was both sad and relieved when I found the SMIM cart fix mod, not going to lie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Sexy Tullius mod when.

You can’t improve what’s already perfect, my friend.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

heard u like girls posted:

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM

You violated my mother!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DrNutt posted:

:eyepop: Hoo lordy those are some pretty screens. Especially the first one, love the colors in that.

Same. It's just weird for me seeing it without the Whiterun Market/Outkirts mod installed. It just looks so... barren.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DrNutt posted:

That sounds like something I need to get installed. Probably my biggest complaint after installing nearly two hundred mods is that while everything looks really nice, it's still as barren and lifeless as day one Skyrim.

If you've got the room for them in your load order here's a few that do a decent job of fleshing out the civilized sectors of Skyrim. Just be careful because a couple of them override one another in certain ways leading to some minor Philadelphia Experiment type poo poo of world objects embedded in one another, so use at your own discretion.

A couple of these should make the world feel a little bigger and more lived in. They're a lot of small things on their own, but they add up to night and day when implemented together.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Adnor posted:

Oh God I haven't looked at Skyrim modding since before the Special Edition was released. Is there a good guide for Special Edition modding? I remember at launch mods not being ported to the SE but I imagine the bigger ones have been ported, correct?

There's also a guide on how to do it manually if there's one out there that hasn't been touched yet that you really want in SE.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bony tony posted:

Me too, but this time I soothed it by playing the soundtrack while walking outside.

Until you get one of the combat tracks and get really nervous :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

What’s wrong with her... everything?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

I just came across Great City of Winterhold and holy moly does this look impressive

like it actually takes into account the fact that most of the city fell into the sea

and that architecture, drat

Apparently it's part of The Great Cities - Minor Cities and Towns SSE Edition

I wish it had more compatibility patches, as it is right now I'm way too deep into my current modding setup and JK is just so well-established that you can reliably get patches whenever you need them

Same here. There's a few patches for the Solitude version of that mod which make it play well with stuff like the Skyway mod, but yeah I'd love to have a version that reconciles Great Cities Winterhold with JK's Winterhold, because they both do great things to the town but conflict with one another kinda bad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

graynull posted:

Finally getting around to upgrading my old GTX 760 to a new GTX 1660 Ti. Now all my 8-titted milkmaid followers shooting lightning bolts from their dick-nipples will be rendered with glorious complex particle lights and ambient occlusion.

I was watching some videos of people complaining about all of the problems in Anthem and it did inspire me to go look for a flight mod. It's kinda clunky and not really suitable for real combat, but it's a pretty fun and unique travel power to mess around with. Throw in a few wing mods and some animated dwemer jetpacks and it was not too bad.

I believe the mod you're looking for is Dwemer Rocket Boots.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Addamere posted:

Any way to turn steam updates off for a game so you don't have to deal with that?

Flip the game to "Update this game only when I launch it" and then use the SKSE launcher to sidestep technically launching the game itself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

drkeiscool posted:

why are we loving dragons for science?

Because that’s how we learn. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

Beyond Skyrim: Bruma is apparently really good, I've got it installed but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet

I'm also enjoying Interesting NPCs and Inconsequential NPCs, but the former requires some fiddling because IIRC the conversion wasn't perfect

Oh and Guard Dialogue Overhaul and Relationship Dialogue Overhaul are good as well

Quickloot adds FO4-style quicklooting to the game, so you don't need to pause the game whenever you want to loot something

The new Expanded Towns and Cities adds a bunch of new buildings and well-voiced NPCs to a few locations in the game (it's a work-in-progress)

I'd also suggest Skyrim Bridges as it makes the environments more varied. The same goes for Immersive Fallen Trees, gets you some nice dramatic views.

Bruma’s pretty cool but still fairly tiny as far as worldspaces go. Hopefully Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil will be done some time this year.

JK’s Skyrim and Great Cities also do a great job expanding the world. They’re also highly modular so you can create a hodgepodge, especially because there’s certain villages that ETAC covers that JK doesn’t like Shor’s Stone, Karthwasten and Kynesgrove, meanwhile JK has a better take on places like Riverwood and the hold capitals, while Great Cities basically creates a whole city beneath Solitude to explore at sea level and turns Winterhold into a proper city like it’s claimed to be in the game lore.