Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

computer molester posted:

i seriously wanna know what the gently caress could cause this

vga glyphs are stored in a lookup table so if that is broken i would expect it to replace the letters with consistently the wrong letter, like a cipher that substitutes o for g, but it doesn't look like it is doing that, it sometimes displays the correct o then sometimes replaces o with g. however it also displays a full word incorrectly twice in the same way (the word normally) so something repeatable is happening, maybe there is a hysteresis involved so that it fucks up a letter depending on what the last letter was, or a state machine that is out of wack. or the source text could just be hosed up but then i don't know how you'd end up repeating the same errors like that.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Management posted:

the two common failures seem to be 'o' -> 'g' and 'i' -> 'a'. both of these letters are 8 apart in ascii values. a likely explanation is that one of the data lines leading to the memory or one of the columns in the ram or cache is flaky and occasionally dropping bit 3, which is subtracting 8 from that byte. why o and i are commonly affected is not obvious to me.

yeah, these vga registers are probably in the 2d hardware, not stored in memory. vga look up tables for chars and things are tiny and you are not gonna go out to memory because it has to be super fast, the character maps are all stored in the vga unit and you look them up with mmio access. there could be a register file in the vga hardware that has a stuck bitline of something.

when i go to work tomorrow maybe i can dig up a vga spec and see what the addresses are of all those chars that are wrong.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 25, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

prefect posted:

he's a plumber, and that's his plumbmobile -- the shirt could be part of a uniform

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

here is the uncorrupted version:

in vga text mode, you write the text for the frame, then you send that to the vga hardware and the VGA hardware is just gonna look up the glyph for each text character by the ascii code.

the glyphs that I see substituted (and their ascii codes) are

o->g
0x6F->0x67

n->f
0x6E->0x66

N->F
0x4E->0x46

,->$
0x2C->0x24

i->a
0x69-0x61

so you immediately notice that they're all off by 8, that is, they all are a difference of one bit flipping, the bit in position 3 (because 2^3 is 8).

code:
position: 7 6 5 4 _ 3 2 1 0
bit:      0 0 0 0 _ X 0 0 0
so for example

code:
position: 7 6 5 4 _ 3 2 1 0
bit:      0 0 0 0 _ X 0 0 0
n (0x6E): 0 1 1 0 _ 1 1 1 0 
f (0x66): 0 1 1 0 _ 0 1 1 0
so it's an intermittently stuck wire somewhere, could be that the hardware is overheated and causing the timing to screw up and sometimes not flip that position 3 bit to 1 fast enough before it gets latched, or something like that.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 25, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also I will not inline this as I know some weak pissbitch will make a fuss over it:

http://i.imgur.com/C9bw3wL.jpg minor NWS

lol @ the majority of folks getting small potatoes handout protest dildos and a couple of ladies bringing their own homeboys along :eyepop: :dong:

lmao

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
don't post pics of me posting

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

epipen posted:

compounded medications are where the pharmacist has to actually compound the medications - get the ingredients, put them in the capsules, etc
it's super uncommon, but occasionally a doctor will prescribe a medication that has to be compounded for the right amounts of each active ingredient, or which isn't sold pre-made for whatever reason (I think ergotamine is sold normally in the US but in aus concerns about its relation to Ergot and LSD have prevented that)

basically think 'research chems' but prescribed by a doctor and regulated

yeah a friend of mine had a yeast infection in his ear and the compounding pharmacy made boric acid capsules for him to shove in there

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

oh and we got this one too

and i just double checked to be sure

his mom can upgrade the ram just as much as you can, by selecting the maximum at purchase time.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
friend of mine had a 1928 buick and the manual said "have your man adjust the spark gap every 500 miles". because there was so much maintenance you had to had a dedicated full time manservant to drive you around in it and keep it running

he also had a mode A ford. didn't need oil changes, which sounds better than todays cars but then you read the manual and see that it had no oil pan - it just dumped oil out onto the ground and you put new oil in every 500 miles. the manual actually said this was a feature because it helped keep dirt roads from getting too dusty.

modern things are a lot more reliable and low maintenance. a new car will go 7500-10,000 miles without even an oil change, just gas, and it won't have a carb that needs to be adjusted when the humidity changes and other poo poo like that that we forget about today.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 30, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
upgrading pc parts is fun but it comes at a cost - the standard form factor - that limits how small and light you can make things. also computers really only last 4-6 years tops before you start to feel the need for more speed.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Moist von Lipwig posted:

we will likely never surpass the energy density of gasoline with battery technology

and by 'surpass' I mean like "get within 1/100th the energy density"

yeah but it doesn't actually need to, it just needs to make a car go 300+ miles and charge in 10 minutes.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

i have a friend who worked at the henry ford museum when he was in college, as a guide and driver of the old model Ts that you can get a ride in

he said that at least once a day there'd be some cocky guy who'd be like "hey, can i drive it? i'm a real good driver" and nag him about it, so after a while he'd let in and go "alright, sure, slide on over"

and then just smugly grin as the guy would sit down, put his hands on the wheel, pause for a second, and go "....uh....i....uhm....how do..."

yeah i was a pro too until i got in the buick and was like
me: "what is this lever on the steering wheel hub?"
him: "that adjusts spark timing"
me: "i'm out"

also the model A had to go up steep hills backwards to keep the gas tank (also the dashboard) above the engine.

driving a model t sounds about as complicated as that silent movie piano guy pulling all the levers.

hit it joe! <me stalls immediately>

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

b hole massager function

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

enotnert posted:

that's what i like about being an adult without kids. . . all my friends got kids, and they think i have the best toys, and hearing them laugh, and watching them smile and having the time of their life makes me happy I have more a toy budget, cause I ain't buying diapers.

yo kids can chill out here with you and have fun, but when they get to be crotchety and it's bedtime, you take the assholes home.

yes use your child budget to go scuba diving and on expensive vacations and then let robots take car of you in old age. that is my plan.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
millennials are killing this millennium

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

wasnt this a kickstarter? did they make an order for a million of these ball sack lights from some chinese supplier and then fold, and now it's being liquidated?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
whenever i put on a clean suit and walk into a fully automated fab i sing this to make myself not feel bad about how many people don't work there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfDqR4fqIWE

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

jpeg artifacting confirms this meme is dank

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

well if you didn't use a full windsor maybe you'd be done sooner

skinny tie + full windsor is the way to go imo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

typical texas driver

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

vodkat posted:

scottish twitter best twitter

a friend of mine has a normal American voice until beer. #3 and then he becomes super Scottish and wants to fight you SO BAD

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol gbs is gone

holy poo poo piss what is going on

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NoneMoreNegative posted:

the Marvellous Maps site now has USA and Aussie maps to go along with the excellent UK funy name map

http://marvellousmaps.com

please reserve your 'I'm the...' below

don't post my address (dutch oven lane)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Necc0 posted:

yo everyone should read this transcript it's real powerful

yes

they are at once horrified that it was used, depressed that their government did not have enough faith in their predictions to launch a manhattan project of their own, and too worried to actually advocate for it for fear that the nazis would execute them if they didn't succeed.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

this guy handling mercury with he bare hands

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
also, pooping into a mercury filled toilet your poop would just sit on top of the mercury and smell bad unless you poops have amazing density, which defeats the whole point of the toilet.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
this toilet guy is turning his home into a superfund site for youtube hits

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

he should get apple pay because then you don't have to feel bad about wasting money on things, like me

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sniep posted:

i have 1180 sqft for $225,000

gently caress denver real estate

at least its not bay area

that seems p cheap to me, depending on the neighborhood. in Austin you would be driving 1.5 hrs to work each way at that price.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

what is this book and how can i buy it?

also the next paragraph says something awful .... what does that say???????

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

that's fantastic. i know that particular mcdonalds and it is the skeeziest, fightingest mcdonalds i've ever been to and it's in canada. the raccoon is something i hadn't seen there before, but otherwise the fight is totally normal weekend events

Canada sounds terrible I live in Texas and even here no one takes a raccoon into a fast food restaurant because that would be uncivilized.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
what I am saying is that Texas is better than Canada.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

stop posting terrible music in the pictures thread

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i was in an ultra conservative part of my state and some guy was trying to impress my girlfriend at the time by telling her he did speech tours about how america must be allies with israel. it was a brewery and i was drunk so i was loving with him telling him israel was an illegal terrorist state and i was pro abortion.

he made a comparison about "why cant he go out on the street and shoot someone if we can have abortions." then he started telling me if i had a problem with america we'd have a problem. his nostrils were flaring, he was yelling extremely loud, spitting all over, and his face was turning red. he started to hyperventilate. he then had trouble breathing. his friends had to take him outside and laid him out on the concrete to help him breathe.

he sorta looked like alex jones, too (he was overweight).

i trolled some fundie into having to go to the hospital.

EDIT: americans are generally terrible people

this did not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

too close to home

• Locked thread