Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bill NYSE posted:

ffffriday night mothfuckas

e: preserving the typo

me irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

it takes some kind of specially broken brain to specifically go and seek out things like GIGANTIC HEMORRHOID.jpg or MAN HAS EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA.mp4

some people are just bad people

the giant hemorrhoid essay is actually very interesting

it's a little gross, sure, but not really any more gross than your typical surgical article

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Apocadall posted:

apparently there is a new thing in maine where they'll pay your student loans at $4500 a year if you stay working in maine after getting a stem degree

it should say everything that they have to pay you $4,500 a year to stay in maine after getting a degree

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Apocadall posted:

i love the idea of immortality because i want the pains of watching everyone i cared for die and watching as everything around me slowly fades away into blackness, i feel it's well deserved

unless you die at 40, how is this different from regular mortality

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Linux Pirate posted:

i have bipolar II disorder. i probably shouldn't admit that here because i know it's going to come back and bite me in the rear end

Moist von Lipwig posted:

me too, whatever lets be pals

epipen posted:

honestly i always say this, but you'd think yospos (and SA in general) would be more accepting of this sort of stuff?

welcome to yospos, the rich goon mental illness support forum

(i am not exempt from the charge)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

epipen posted:

i was going to ask where the rich bit came from but remembered a good half of you are paid to touch computers

yeah non-rich mental health cases are chased out of here at a furious pace, because we are all such dignified individuals, our garden-variety anxiety and depression and dysmorphia can't be viewed through the same lens as the toiling classes

:colbert:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i have a friend who worked at the henry ford museum when he was in college, as a guide and driver of the old model Ts that you can get a ride in

he said that at least once a day there'd be some cocky guy who'd be like "hey, can i drive it? i'm a real good driver" and nag him about it, so after a while he'd let in and go "alright, sure, slide on over"

and then just smugly grin as the guy would sit down, put his hands on the wheel, pause for a second, and go "....uh....i....uhm....how do..."

quote:

The Model T's transmission was controlled with three foot pedals and a lever that was mounted to the road side of the driver's seat. The throttle was controlled with a lever on the steering wheel. The left pedal was used to engage the gear. With the floor lever in either the mid position or fully forward and the pedal pressed and held forward the car entered low gear. When held in an intermediate position the car was in neutral. If the driver took his foot off the left pedal, the Model T entered high gear, but only when the lever was fully forward – in any other position the pedal would only move up as far as the central neutral position. This allowed the car to be held in neutral while the driver cranked the engine by hand. The car could thus cruise without the driver having to press any of the pedals. There was no separate clutch pedal.

When the car was in neutral, the middle pedal was used to engage reverse gear, and the right pedal operated the transmission brake – there were no separate brakes on the wheels. The floor lever also controlled the parking brake, which was activated by pulling the lever all the way back. This doubled as an emergency brake.

remember these were considered "easy to drive" at the time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this is amazing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is amazing

:goonsay:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

just pretend i reposted ALL of these

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/these-shameless-cocaine-ads-prove-70s-were-hell-time-be-alive-166927

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you must be a loving millionaire because I live on less than 2k a month

either that or your dealer accepts credit cards

you would be astonished by the financial resources you discover while working on a serious cocaine habit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I might make this someday

:goonsay:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

welcome to georgia, leave your dignity at the checkpoint

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

is that an engine mount made out of two wrenches?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

malt liquor is only intended for the urban feral

unf yes i love schlitz suburban advertising

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know. I'd say most blasting cap injuries involve multiple digits

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

arsenic used to be over-the-counter. i think thallium sulfate, too.
salvarsan, an arsenic compound sold as a drug, was not particularly toxic then taken as intended. unpleasant yes, deadly no.

paris green, an arsenic compound sold as rat poison, was really loving dangerous

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Linux Pirate posted:

CALL ON MEEEE
call on me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i've never understood the vagaries of this kind of newspaper "everyone knows what we're writing but we didn't actually write it" censorship

it's a tabloid.

they just have to escape formal sanction by state and federal authorities

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BANME.sh posted:

the sound card in your computer will have a DAC in it that sends the audio signal through a line level amplifier before sending it to the headphone/speaker jack.

people get special DACs because they think it makes a difference (for the past couple decades, maybe more, it makes zero difference. bargain basement DAC chips are already mathematically perfect). the real difference lies in the line level amp, which may be susceptible to interference which can produce audible noise in the signal, especially if your sound card is integrated into the motherboard

bearing in mind that a high-end DAC and the line level amp together cost about two bucks

your manufacturer had to really cheap out not to get good output.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
some ex-symbolics guys put up a web site and it has this great fuckin demo reel

the first segment is a whole bunch of commercial segments glued together. at 6:30 they do a pixar-style short. in between is a demo of the authoring system with what sure sounds like phil hartmann narrating

the authoring system looks really good and cool for the 1980s, but i have no loving clue how you could render 640x480 footage on a symbolics 3620. it must have taken two weeks to squeeze out the two minute pixar-type demo.

(incidentally, pixar was originally a hardware firm. rendering anything, even video, on a 1980s workstation sucked so bad they thought they could sell a dedicated box for it)

http://smbx.org/stanley-and-stella-breaking-the-ice/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVj4MljuyXk

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Roosevelt posted:

i have been trying to figure out how to play mechwarrior 2 again because of a couple pages back and i have been thoroughly stymied

mechwarrior 4 was better in almost every way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i also hate it when people confuse silicon and silicone

silicon breast implants

only the best for my iron lady

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

i got a new keyboard and it's absolutely disgusting. enjoy

is this some etaoin shrdlu poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

graph posted:

worth a half hour of your time if you havent seen it

https://vimeo.com/127605643

this looks pretty awesome

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

as usual, I'm the Bausch & Lomb 3D Weltanschaaung

i'm sure the authors didn't know this, but bausch and lomb really did make shitloads of computer equipment. plotters, optics, CAD stuff, etc.

quote:

B&W image of a Graphics Computer System. There is desk with a "Producer" computer under the table, Dual Bausch & Lomb computer display screens, an input tablet and a small printer. In the foreground is a large pen plotter with a schematic in production. The screens have the same expoded view of a part.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Improbable Lobster posted:

Megaphragma mymaripenne

oh my god this is rad

it's the biological equivalent of gcc -Os

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaphragma_mymaripenne

quote:

Megaphragma mymaripenne is a microscopically sized wasp. At 200 μm in length, it is the third-smallest extant insect,[1] comparable in size to single-celled organisms.

quote:

Uniquely, by the time M. mymaripenne reaches adulthood, 95% of its nervous cells have lost their nuclei. Only 339–372 nuclei are found throughout the central nervous system, of which 179–253 are found in the brain. The nervous system of the pupae of M. mymaripenne makes up 19% of its body mass, 11% of which is the brain. Unlike in adults, cells in the pupae have nuclei. Only in the final stage of development do these undergo lysis, which greatly reduces the volume of the nervous system. While the brains of pupae are 93,600 μm3, those of the adults are only 52,200 μm3. Accompanying this shrinkage of brain volume is a shrinking of the occipital area of the head, with the cuticle folding into helical spirals.[2]

they destroy nuclei in the nervous system to reduce overhead

amazeballs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

me irl

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

.lnk to the past posted:

guy is obviously an immigrant because a real aussie would have glassed him

how long until australia bans glass mugs in bars

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

got reminded of this today

my favorite thing in this image is the recursion

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jonny 290 looks and sounds exactly how i imagined in my head

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i'm pretty sure i could learn to love college hockey

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kenny Logins posted:

maybe i'm just thinking turkey is a more recent thing for christmas/easter than thanksgiving. iirc i think goose/ham are more traditional for those holidays, respectively

goose was an english tradition. turkey was the nearest replacement for goose

ironically people liked turkey so much that it's now the most popular choice in the uk as well

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

no. they're a litterrall personification of our unescapable mortality. the racist thing is horseshit from retards grasping at straws for reason to dislike a hugely popular genre.

yeah the race thing never worked for me either.

the scariest thing about zombies is that you could be compelled to join them. this works either as a symbol of mortality (you will join the dead some day soon) or preying on fears of poverty (oh no the unwashed masses are coming!)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

despite what people might think, im actually rarely gutter minded and one of the last people to hear something and think a dirty thought or see a dirty thing in a picture, but I had to spend a long time looking at this picture to see what it was actually meant to be.

i can't figure it out

is it photoshop?

it looks dirty as hell

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anthonypants posted:

it's a couple of mittens, the hands are the thumbs

wow they screwed that up really bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
even after being told i still can't see mittens in that picture

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think you'd see a butt in it unless you had been primed to see it that way

yep this is 10,000% better and the actual design they should have used

edit: oh wait this IS the design they used, someone drew the hands on with a pen. NOW i get it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

its b/c they all 'ironically' unironically think theyre dude on the right

http://theironpill.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

hey guys, can we all agree that it's mega hilarious when people who are speaking english are still subtitled in english if they have even the slightest of accents, even if that accent is of another native english speaking reagion

there is a target accent for american broadcast television. if you're far from the target, you get subtitled.

it's not about "native" vs "non-native" accents

• Locked thread