Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

BobHoward posted:

It's not as bad as those numbers might suggest, my friend who designed enterprise ssd chipsets and told me about this said that manufacturers rate flash for minimum guaranteed retention time at end of life, i.e. after doing the rated maximum write/erase cycles. A consumer SSD far away from wearout should remember data a lot longer than 1 year if left unpowered. Still, don't count on it, use HDDs for storage that might go unpowered a long time.

For long time I've wanted to know, what is the failure mode when SSDs reach the maximum write cycle? I would hope that the available writable space slowly decreases, but the the blocks that can't be written on still remain readable? How much variation is there on how many cycles different blocks can be written? Could one block last only 1000 cycles, but the block right next to it manges 5000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Unlucky7 posted:

Sorry about that! For the sake of record, the question was that I had an older computer with the Sata 3Gb/s and I was wondering if the bottleneck is significant enough to factor in.

Thank you for the info! I will need to think on this.

I doubt there is anything to think about. I don't think there is a Sata 3Gb/s SSD that is as good as the standard choices, yet cheaper enough to be worth buying.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

It's no use wasting time pruning tabs. Computer performance grows faster than the load caused by all those tabs. Of course you can't do that on Chrome because gently caress horizontal tabs.

So it's about 376 tabs for the default Firefox profile, 236 for the profile dedicated for Something Awful, 196 tabs for YouTube profile, 478 in the profile for all kinds of projects, latest about upgradijng and rooting my tablet, and then bunch of other profiles I don't have running currently.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I mean the other reason is that I'm gonna have 30-40gb just sitting free on the first drive and it'll bug me for the obvious OCD reasons but I can live with that.

You should have free space on a drive anyway to keep it working well.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Park data on it and let it sit for > 1 year on a shelf.

Well sure, SSDs can't be used for that, but I doubt anyone was even thinking of using them like that. Maybe you should look into Blu-Ray disks, they should last even longer than harddrives in offline storage.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

BobHoward posted:

They can (and sometimes do) already do this today with NAND, at a lower cost. Why do you think a more expensive memory technology with only a marginal improvement over NAND (in this application) will do better than, say, Seagate's SSHDs? (Which have been proving for quite some time that 8GB of cache isn't enough to make a HDD perform anything like a SSD, and that isn't likely to markedly improve with Optane or 16GB cache capacity.)

Microsoft Studio is one product with similar system. 32 GB M.2 drive as cache with 1 or 2 TB storage drive.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Armacham posted:

Update for my saga. I was able to borrow a spare 2.5" drive from someone and it was recognized fine. Guess I'll see if Samsung wants to try replacing it again without it disappearing for 3 weeks again. In the mean time I was able to convince dell to send me a new interposer cable for free.

You could also try a USB-SATA adapter, that would eliminate any possible problems with the motherboard controller or SATA cable. Such an adapter could be useful to have around anyway.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SATA-Portable-Adapter-Supports/dp/B014OSN2VW/

Knifegrab posted:

Is there bootable software I can load onto a usb drive to confirm my suspicions that my ssd is toast? My bios attempts to detect it saying "Auto detecting SATA1..." but it hangs there for a while, then jumps to a "Please insert a boot drive, or restart" screen. It doesn't even show up in my bios or boot menu when all my others do. I have tried swapping cables too so that is not the issue.

Anyone have any recommendations for that software?

The opinion from others that this won't be fixed by different OS is most likely correct, but there are a multitude of different software that can be used for this. There are dozen different Linux distributions that can be used from USB stick without installing. Knoppix is a full desktop environment designed to be run only from CD or USB drive. System Rescue CD is a small Linux normally used from command line. Hiren's Boot CD is a large collection of different tools including HDD diagnostics, partition and disk management software and even a Windows XP PE that can be used from single USB drive.

My suggestion is to have at least USB sticks with System Rescue CD and Hiren's Boot CD lying around permanently so you don't need to start creating them when the need arises.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

redeyes posted:

Whats the largest amount of writes a goon has on a SSD that is working well?

The first server with SSDs at work is used for running a bunch of Oracle databases. One day I decided to check with hpssacli the wear level on the drives. It estimated they had about 50,5 years of life left on them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Atomizer posted:

The only thing I take issue with is the "...at some point in the next 5 years..." comment; 5 years is a long time in technology, and I wouldn't buy something now that I don't need until years down the line. I mean in SSD technology alone, imagine if you were stuck now using something you bought 5 years ago (like the aforementioned 840 Evo!!!) instead of something modern, cheap, and good like an MX500 or WD Blue (NVMe wasn't even a thing back then, and 5 years from now we might've transitioned to u.2 or whatever.)

I interpreted that as "what to do with the old M.2 SATA after you replace it with NVMe." Currently the smart money would be with 500GB M.2 SATA or something, but in 3 years the price and performance probably change enough that you want to upgrade to a 1-2TB NVMe. Many systems have only one M.2 slot, so at that point the old M.2 SATA becomes useless, unless you happen to have some other system with empty M.2. If you had bought a traditional SATA you could still keep using the drive.

From time to time I have an itching to upgrade to a 1TB SATA SSD for more space and an extra incentive for that is that I could my old 850 Evo in my Playstation 3. Like my old OCZ drive ended up in the ancient laptop I got as a hand-me-down.

SATA is an universal standard, but M.2 SATA is already practically obsolete.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Or if you are not ready to upgrade yet, then install Win 10 on the NVMe, upgrade the firmware and wipe the NVMe.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

For space reasons a M.2 USB enclosure would be a clear choice. Then just choose some cheap M.2 SATA SSD. Or go even smaller with something like KingDian P10, although the source seems a bit sketchy.

Transcend M.2 SSD Enclosure Kit Model TS-CM80S
USB 30 External

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

It pisses me off that they didn't use an existing, well known and used PC screw type for the job.

Or rather they should have used the well known SO-DIMM clips.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

What games do such a significant amount of writing to affect QLC cache? I would think most games get installed and after that they are read only, except for config changes and save states.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

jeff8472 posted:

Pulled the drive and re-seated it and it booted fine. Should I be worried it will go out again?

Well, the sad thruth is, yes. You should never trust a storage drive, whether ancient spinning rust or the hottest NVMe. They are highly reliable, but still they are only waiting for the perfect moment to stab you in the back.

Thankfully you seemed to already have a one part of the solution, your NAS. Instead of storing the important files in there how about putting a full backup of your computer in there, at least daily and possibly even more shorter intervals for the more important stuff. Duplicati and Duplicacy are probably one of the more popular choices for that.

You say all your important files are in the NAS. Do you mean you have backups of those on the NAS, or is the NAS the only place those files are stored? Because the NAS can't be trusted either, it's just waiting to go up in smoke. Maybe set up a cloud backup for the NAS. Backblaze B2 or one of the multitude of competitors. My choice was a large harddrive installed in my work computer and daily rsnapshot of my home server.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

repiv posted:

It's not impossible but standardizing and shipping a compression codec and interface across all NVMe controllers (if drive-side) or Intel and AMD (if cpu-side) is going to take years. Don't hold your breath.

I can't see how it would be that hard. Most useable place would probably be to have hardware or GPU assisted decompression in GPUs, since most games will probably have a lot of data to be fed to the GPU and this data is quite similar across large amount of games, so a single compression algorithm works for all of them. If you have advanced enough GPU the game can send the compressed data straight to it. If the GPU can't handle it but drivers are new enough, then the GPU driver uses CPU to decompress the data. If also the drivers are too old, them the game will have to do the decompression on CPU.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Since NVMe drives are significantly faster than normal SATA SSDs, yet they seem to seldom be noticeably faster in use, then I doubt mSATA RAID would be worth the effort or expense.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm a bit confused -- the laptop only has two slots, one with the OS on an SSD and the hard drive. Does an m.2 drive daisy chain with the existing hard drive?

How do I determine whether the WD750 will fit the laptop, or is the form factor extremely standard?

Crucial P1 and WD750 are both M.2 form factor NVMe drives, they are completely incompatible with harddrives. If you want to replace the harddrive , any 2.5" SATA SSD will do, like the Crucial MX500

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

It probably has something to do with this line in the Arch wiki.

quote:

Warning: Users need to be certain that their SSD supports TRIM before attempting to use it. Data loss can occur otherwise!

Kernel has a blacklist of SSDs with trim problems, but it hard to be sure if it includes all. Whitelist would be too much work with so many new SSDs and firmware revisions. For MacOS it would easy to whitelist the drives Apple has approved and Microsoft is big enough that SSD manufacturers have to maintain white- and blacklists for them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

DrDork posted:

I wonder when the last SSD was produced that didn't support TRIM, though. Maybe some OCZ model from 2012?

Well that blacklist includes Samsung 850, 960GB Crucial M500 and several other drivers I would have expected to be good, so never underestimate the manufacturer capability to gently caress up.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Plug it in and run a disk info utility like Crystal Disk Info.

Will that also notice faked size? I think it would also be necessary to fill the drive and check that all the data is still readable and uncorrupted.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

priznat posted:

I think there were 16GB ones too which are really ridiculous, probably just meant for some laptop oems to speed boost cache their 5400rpm hdds.

They were handy cheap nvme endpoints though (just x2 and had some issues dying extremely frequently)

I considered using a pair of those as the OS RAID for my home server, because they were the cheapest NVMe drives in existence. Pretty much the only reason I didn't do that was that I couldn't verify that it wouldn't disable any of the SATA ports.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

PirateBob posted:

Why are drive manufacturers still getting away with the false marketing of selling e.g. [2 billion bytes or whatever] drives as "2TB", when the usable space is actually only 1.81TB?

Because their marketing is exactly correct. It's your computer that is wrong claiming it's 1.81TB instead of 1.81 TiB.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for the information :) Knowing they run best at 50C is surprising but also a relief, and knowing they can handle all the way up to boiling point is very reassuring. Appreciate the education.

Regarding SSD/HDD for backup, although it would be backup it would still be connected and in-use daily (e.g. I listen to a lot of music and backing up my collection is very important) so do you think that makes a difference?

If you care about the backups, then a backup drive that is connected constantly isn't enough since a single zap could fry both your computer and the backup drive. If you only connect it during the backups that seems like a bit of a hassle and still doesn't protect from things like house fires. Cloud backups are usually a better option.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've been looking at PC upgrades the past few days and I'm torn between getting the 1TB WD Black SN850 and the Samsung 980 PRO.

I noticed that the WD drive seems to have a peak read/write speed almost 500mb/s above the Ssamsung. Is it worth the premium? It seems like the pretty obvious choice I just want to make sure I'm not missing something about it.

I currently have a 512gb 850 EVO as my boot drive. Would a PCI-E SSD really make that much of a difference? Like is it going to give me those next gen mindblowing kind of experience?

Those drives are way overpriced, you probably want the WD SN550.

The question is more about do you need more space. If you need a new drive anyway, then buying a good, cheap NVMe makes sense since they aren't much more expensive. Those premium NVMe rarely are worth the price.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ashex posted:

That's definitely a relief, I'll just make an afternoon out of finding the box of parts for the case and pulling the system apart to install it.

Yeah, make sure you find the M.2 screw.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Massive loving heatsinks. Thanks, Thermalright. http://www.thermalright.com/product/hr-09-2280-pro/

Or maybe we should make drive controllers that don't constantly overheat, idk

Interesting product. If just the fins weren't perpendicular to the airflow.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Klyith posted:

Can't be slower -- the whole point of a self-encrypting drive is that it's encrypting all user data 100% of the time. Every bit you read and write goes through the controller's AES accelerator. Only difference between protected vs plaintext is whether you set a password to protect the key. So any additional layer of encryption can only slow things down.

Modern SSDs use encryption just for wear leveling.

quote:

It is a beautiful utterly elegant hack used to save on wear on the disk. Scrambling/randomising data on MLC drives also improves reliabilty on smaller process sizes - see this paper and these two referenced patents (here and here, and encrypted data is essentially random (thanks to alex.forencich for digging that up in the comments). In a sense AES encryption works the same way as the LSFR used to randomise data on a non encrypted ssd, only faster, better and simpler.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

They could have used grounded SO-DIMM latches.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

They are the perfect product. Impressive looking upgrades for high performance device, that are useless and harmless, or at least don't do harm in a noticeable way.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've personally avoided Samsung SSDs just from the tech news about them I've picked up over the years. Needing to apply firmware updates to resolve bugs, address performance issues, poo poo like that - it was more than enough for me to not consider getting them even if they were priced the same as other drives.

I would consider it worse sign if there are no firmware updates. At least the updates show that the manufacturer is willing to support their product. SSDs seem such a complex devices that I may still not trust manufacturers to get them right at first try. It doesn't happen even with expensive enterprise SSDs. We use a lot of HPE Proliant servers at work and I keep track of the firmware updates. Several SSD models had updates to fix a silly issue where they would die when they reach a lifetime of 32768 hours.

Our VMware VDI got hit by an issue where the drive would die after you upgrade to VMware 7.0 unless you update the firmware. They didn't initially notice the requirement and then they had a drive die and found out about the update. I guess they didn't quite believe and assumed the death was more of a coincidense. And soon after another drive died and they realized all the drives must be updated immediately.

That is such an incomprehensible issue for me. "If you upgrade your operating system, your SSD that has been working flawlessly for years will die within weeks."

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

god please help me posted:

I heard someone on youtube say not to worry about it, since SSDs have a feature that supposedly makes them Read-Only once they can no longer have anymore data written to them. Is that true? Or is there some sort of data recovery service I can contact to help recover the data from a dead drive?

There were some SSD models, I think from Intel, that had that feature. But that was basically a warning sign of your last chance to backup your data. If I remember correctly, the drives would go to read-only mode when they reached the warrantied write cycle limit. You would then have to backup the drive, because the next time you reboot the computer the drive would wipe itself and make data recovery impossible. The biggest irony is, that the drive itself might have been perfectly functional with a lot of life left, but when Intel considered it too used it would self-destruct.

Just build a good backup system and forget all this drive longevity nonsense, because no drive can be trusted to hold your data. If you have good cloud of off-site backups you can still recover your data even if your house burns down.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Harik posted:

it's absolutely a different product because older nodes mean larger cells which mean they can survive more erase cycles. Has enterprise even started using QLC chips yet? They've always been behind the uptake in newer, easer-to-burn-out cells than consumer gear.

Yes, they've had them available for several years by now.

quote:

“Very Read Optimized” is an HPE term used to differentiate new QLC NAND based SSDs that will have variable endurance levels
or DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day) depending on how a customer writes data to them. Using QLC NAND requires that the workload
write percentage and block size be understood as the endurance can be very different than other SSDs in the market.

HPE VRO SSDs are designed for targeted workloads that drive a typical mix of >80% random reads and <20% sequential large
block writes. Today it is standard for all SSDs to use a 100% 4K random write workload to generate the specified endurance
(DWPD) that is listed in the technical specifications. However, as VRO SSDs are not targeted at that 100% 4K random write
workload, it’s important to consider the actual targeted workload.

The VRO targeted workloads would typically have all write operations that are sequential and in 128K blocks which would allow all
VRO capacities to support 0.8 DWPD endurance. However, if the VRO SSD is used differently than targeted, the DWPD will vary
based upon how the drive is written to. If used incorrectly, such as the industry standard 4K random write workload the DWPD
endurance drops to: 0.2 on the 1.92TB; 0.09 on the 3.84TB and 0.05 on the 7.68TB VRO SSDs.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Klyith posted:

WD still makes the WD Blue in m.2 sata.

But for god's sake just have a cable, m.2 sata is a dead format and current mobos don't support it at all. You're buying something that will be trash in your next upgrade.

For reuse it might be preferable option to get an USB enclosure for the M.2 SATA instead keeping a cabled SATA drive on the future computer.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Klyith posted:

Standard internal sata connections aren't going away any time soon. (HDDs still exist)

I don't know what type of weird OCD people work themselves into, that you would rather have a *cabled* USB enclosure outside your PC than a cabled drive inside it.

The purpose is not to expand externally, it's to get a better USB stick. I have a USB-SATA adapter to easily connect drives, but I mostly use it as an external with an old, too small SATA SSD I had laying around, for example as recording storage for TV. M.2 would be much nicer form factor.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Thunk posted:

So a better option would be to get a big plug-in drive and do regular backups with it, and also make cloud storage copies of any really important documents? I can work with that. Thanks!

It needs a bit of a consideration if an external drive or a NAS is better option. The biggest problem with the external is that it requires judiciously plugging it in and running the backup and then unplugging the drive. A NAS, at minimum a external drive plugged in to a router or some other always-on device would automatic backup. The problem with the NAS is that it is always online and under some risk, if you get a crypto ransomware on you computer it might be able to encrypt the NAS too. But it may be possible to hide the NAS enough that the average ransomware won't find it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

You don't give windows the credentials to the backup target, just the backup software.

But's it's still pretty trivial to check what credentials the software is using if you go trough the effort. Half a dozen most popular software should be good enough.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sure, increasing the effort required is all you can do.

Traditional and pretty effective method is to have the backup server fetch the data so the origin doesn't have access to them. But requires a bit unusual situation in home use.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Remote wipe and go buy your own Windows license it sounds like

Or comedy option put Ubuntu on it

I assume the laptops were bought with an OEM license.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Well if you are given your old laptop during layoff of course you would wipe any trace of your work from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

FLUSH testing is probably something that needs to be taken in to account with recommendations, but there needs to be more models tested.

https://twitter.com/xenadu02/status/1495693475584557056

quote:

Fun story: I tested a random selection of four NVMe SSDs from four vendors. Half lose FLUSH’d data on power loss. That is the flush went to the drive, confirmed, success reported all the way back to userspace. Then I manually yanked the cable. Boom, data gone.