Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

berenzen posted:

Abram Jopp's (Creator of Dumblefork) has some good teaching decks for those who have all the datapack on his website. He also has a variety of other decks with why he went with specific cards. While he's not necessarily the best netrunner player, he's probably one of Netrunner's best deckbuilders.

Not that I think you meant otherwise, but I would like to clarify that Abram is, if not in the top tier, at the very least a very good Netrunner player.

I can't speak for the others, but the Kit deck is legit. It installs Magnum Opus and then grinds up a depressingly large pile of money, and there's nothing you can do about it as corp. MOpus is really good on the whole right now, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Smoke is gonna be a goddamn monster with that thing, geez.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Gave Monitor a read. It's a fun little story, definitely worth checking out.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Is there a bad card that Smoke has shown up on/been related to? I feel like the worst is Dai V, and even that isn't like, actively awful, and otherwise it's just straight good stuff.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I am hype to play SPACE WEYLAND (yes I know we have Gagarin already shut up)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, but it's an upgrade so you can just stick it in your scoring server ahead of time anyways, and if you score even one 5/3 off of it you've got your money's worth out of it, with any extra triggers either double-advancing your ICE, or rushing out more agendas.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

Oberth is not a region and therefore blanked by Rumor Mill.

Not nearly as much of a problem for a proactive card in a deck that's playing 2/1s.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

There's definitely some metaplot stuff going on more recently--Mumbad cycle was all about the leadup to a big political referendum on the personhood of clones in India, although there's a lot that we don't know which is kind of frustrating. Flashpoint cycle is more directly about a single event, that being the 23 Seconds incident where Titan Transnational's servers went down for 23 seconds (which is its own board game, woo), which leads to a shitload of upheaval with the government stepping in. But so far it's kind of painted in broad strokes, it's not like how Magic follows the planeswalkers as individual characters really closely.

There's also books/novellas. Of these, I've read Freefall, which references the Android board game a lot more than it does Netrunner stuff. It was a reasonable read, but nothing spectacular; it's much more focused on being pulpy scifi detective noir than on really exploring the setting. I've also read Monitor, which is pretty short, but feels more connected to the setting--it's about a group of wannabe hackers getting in way over their heads with NBN. It also has MaxX! It isn't something I'd recommend to someone not familiar with Netrunner, but if you are it's an enjoyable read, and makes connections to the game without being super obvious about what's what.

Oh, also the setting book. Buy the setting book, it's great.

Really, I do wish that they did more to show off the metaplot. Like you, I'm a total sucker for it, regardless of quality.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Zephro posted:

Sometimes if you spectate on a match on Jinteki.net you can see the player's hands, and sometimes you can't. Anyone know whether that's a bug or some kind of feature that I've been accidentally turning on and off?

It's a feature, host decides whether or not to implement it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Zephro posted:

Fixing IDs is kinda hard because you'd have to replace the Core ID with something generic that doesn't require lots of support, but also isn't from a big box, I guess. I'd probably go with CT, Gabe, Reina, PE, Making News, BABW and ehh, maybe The Foundry?

Replace Noise with Whizzard :unsmigghh:

Reina's a reasonable choice, though Quetzal could also go in there to play up the 'Anarchs break Barriers' thing. Null is really tempting, but I feel like then you'd have to try and stick NFR in, and that's just too specific for the core set. On the corp side, I think you're stuck with ETF, unfortunately. Really, to me the rough thing is not being able to keep both CT and Kate.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

En Passant looks like it's going to be miserable to play against. Can you imagine if it had been out there in the heyday of Dumblefork?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

Weyland finally gets anti-AI ice, and true to form it's garbage.

Naturally. Everyone knows that NBN is the Barrier faction.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Zephro posted:

Yes, basically this. Setup consists of "Be Val" and "mulligan for Blackmail" and then you're good to go. Recursion feels like it's a bit out of hand now too, especially on the Runner side, though that's not a problem unique to Blackmail. And there's an interesting game developing around it with Chronos and Ark Lockdown and so on, so maybe it'll work out in the end. If only Corp deck slots were just a bit less tight.

Meanwhile, Exile is left weeping in a corner as his already-shaky setup gets obliterated as collateral damage for hate against other cards :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Those posts are mostly talking about Employee Strike. Rumor Mill's design problems stem from the same issues though--it just blanks cards, it doesn't actually get around a problem in an interesting way, it brute forces it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Please, everyone knows that King of Servers is the important Netrunner event this week. This is entirely unrelated to me being in KoS but not being able to get a slot in Worlds.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I am compensating for not drinking by playing Exile as my runner, does that count?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Don't know how powerful this is gunna be, but oh boy is it going to be super fun. They also pointed out that the runner encounters the outermost ice, not approached it. This means the runner cant jack out.

Step 1: Play Aginfusion
Step 2: Play Executive Boot Camp
Step 3: Place Excalibur on Archives
Step 4: Rez Excalibur

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Obokata Protocol is scary as gently caress. Welcome to PE! R&D's full of traps that will kill you! The agendas also kill you! Assets? Operations? ICE? Yep, those kill you too.

EDIT: Print net damage-based econ so that I can make a deck where every card kills the runner.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I forget, is Smoke out yet? She seems like she'd be a really solid option.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

They've spoiled Reaver, Apex's new card. And it's pretty close to being what he needed! Of course, now you need to figure out your MU situation, but hey. Also notable that it triggers when you trash installed Corp stuff.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'm running a Netrunner-themed mafia if anyone here is interested in signing up for that.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Oh boy, more ice that tags me when I encounter it. :smithicide:

I mean, it's expensive, yeah, but UGH.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

Dumb question: If Baba Yaga is hosted on Leprechaun, and other icebreakers are hosted on Baba Yaga, is everything free? (MU-wise)

No--Leprechaun only applies to cards hosted on it, not on cards hosted on cards hosted on it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I think a good chunk of that is that HB is the glacier, go-tall faction, and that's a scrupulously fair style of play. They've got strong ICE, they have some good assets like the various Campaigns to stick in your remote for clickless econ, a solid defensive upgrade in Ash, and a solid agenda suite. That's a well-defined strength! Unfortunately, meta trends really haven't favored that style of play. Right now if HB isn't able to cover their centrals early, the runner's going to drop Temujin on whatever isn't protected and build up a huge credit lead, and ICE alone doesn't do enough to tax them--you really need tags and traces to accomplish that. Or they'll run up against Blackmail spam which just invalidates ICE completely. And last cycle was all about asset spam, which is kind of the opposite of HB.

A bunch of HB identities just don't really reinforce the glacier plan that well, either. EtF does a good job of it, so it's all that gets played. Otherwise you're looking at things like Stronger Together or AoT which are very specific, or the Foundry, which isn't the kind of advantage you really need. It's just... not great.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

ninjaiguana posted:

So Adjusted Matrix...does the breaker it's hosted on have to boost strength to equal the ICE's strength to use its ability? Because it would seem the answer is yes from the rules as they stand, and that's not great. I guess you're saying 'I can break ICE this breaker normally couldn't interact with by using clicks, but I still have to pump', but clicks are really precious. Five to install and then needing to match strength as well seems kind of meh.

Also 'you can spend <click> to break subroutines' is terrible wording. It should be "Host icebreaker gains '<click>: break ice subroutine'". The way it's written it implies you can spent one click to break an undefined number of subs during an encounter.

Your wording would require you to boost strength, though.

The point of Adjusted Matrix is it basically makes all their ICE into Bioroids.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

You're also already spending a shitload of influence on Biotics, you really don't have the space to fit in a tagging suite.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm very much of the opinion that I want to play it, but I don't want to buy it right now. Can you elaborate on the BSG-esque aesthetic? I love BSG (the whole franchise really, I have a Battlestar Pegasus patch and Captain's rank pips somewhere in my costuming kit); but I found Dead of Winter to be an inconsistent mess.

Also, I drafted a pair of duel decks that I'd like some feedback on. The goal here is to be flavorful -- this is the story of Kit trying to liberate virtual consciousnesses from HB while they build upon them, and approachable for new players -- trying to keep most of the cards mostly in-faction. Have a look at let me know what changes I could make.

AoT Duel Deck
Kit Duel Deck

I like the idea of having the Bioroids all be unique, but even with AoT's ability, that deck is going to be struggling really hard with how expensive most of its ice is. Only half of its ICE can be somewhat reasonably rezzed 1st turn (okay, Ravana, but it doesn't *do* anything on its own), not all of which ETRs. This makes it really difficult for AoT to get any kind of early econ going, because it just can't protect its Campaigns, and its operation econ is just Hedge Funds and two Blue Level Clearances (especially if it has to compete with Magnum Opus). I think it's going to get out-Econed by Kit basically all the time, and it kind of has to hope that it can bluff Kit into running a big server with Cerebral Overwriter multiple times, because otherwise it's just really iffy.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Account Siphon them into the ground. Then Vamp them. That 8 cost to rez doesn't look so doable now, does it?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Turns out that Brian Stinson is really bonkers out of GRNDL. If you get him in your opening hand you can do things like Restructure - Install Stinson - Stinson the Restructure and end your first turn with 28 credits. I got to follow that up with a doubled Hedge Fund and installing a naked Profiteering. You don't even need to install ice, they just can't run because no amount of protection is going to save them.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Zephro posted:

Stinson seems like he's really binary, though. He's great if you get him turn 1, but with runner economies the way they are these days it's rare for them to ever be below six credits by the midgame, especially if they know Stinson is a threat.

Or are people finding a good way to use him?

He's binary out GRNDL, but he's so good when he's on that I don't mind having like two dead draws--especially when the deck is mostly dead later on anyways because I'm just hunting for the actual kill pieces.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Personally, I think Datasucker itself is perfectly fine--it's Parasite that's really the problem. Of course, I'm also just a big fan of the general Andysucker rig, so I'm probably biased, but I like stacking up small run bonuses, and I don't think Datasucker is particularly out of line, unless it's letting you instantly trash ice.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Skorpios looks STRONG. That's a lot of recursion that you're shutting down. Their Parasites become one-shots, discarding conspiracy breakers becomes a huge risk, SMCs aren't getting clone chipped back... and that's before you Hunter Seeker their rig into the ground. And it's 40/15, geez.

Also MaxX just eats poo poo to it, not that she's a huge meta issue or anything, but still. That's a brutal matchup.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

berenzen posted:

Every time I've played vs. him, he's seemed like a cool dude, so I really don't know where the idea that he's a dick comes from.

Yeah, I live in the same area and have played against him plenty. I mean, he can come off a bit dismissive when it comes to Netrunner, but part of that is that he really does grasp the game better than just about anyone. He's certainly always been willing to explain stuff in more detail when I've asked; he really helped me get better. He's a chill dude.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

So what's crim's big HQ pressure trick now that Siphon's gone?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

berenzen posted:

Rip deal, legwork and hq interface are still huge pressures on hq. Throw in the lack of Jackson and Fisking the corp can put a lot of pressure on them as you flood them with agendas.

Oh geez. I've been away for pretty much all of Red Sands, I forgot that Jackson's going to be gone.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'm not sure exactly what they expect Weyland to do now. That core set lineup is pretty awful for them. Keeping Project Atlas is nice, but they aren't threatening to do anything with it. The most they can do is trace you for maybe 3 meat damage. Also, Hostile Takeover being a 1-of is some real bullshit for new players.

I mean, it wasn't great before, but I think my dumb one-trick GRNDL deck is just dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'll put it in an easier to read format, but actually this has me pretty excited if they're willing to shake things up this much.

Not that he was any good in the first place, but I appreciate that Exile will reach a level below dumpster tier with that restricted list.

• Locked thread