Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

This is going to be the best game in the series. After playing the demo and looking at all the prerelease info, this is the only possible outcome.

Btw for newcomers, I'd say the only necessary one to play before anything else is the original Phoenix Wright. Playing in order is recommended because the gameplay in each game tends to build off the last one, but Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney has an entirely different feel with it, one that would be jarring if you ever played it after another game. From Justice For All onward the tone stays the same, AND the games go out of their way to avoid spoilers for previous games in the series. However, events that happen in Phoenix Wright turn almost every expectation of the series on its head, and any one game in the series after it will spoil it. The release order is again recommended but if all you want to do is play the kickass new entry, you only really need to play the first.

tl;dr: Every game in the series is stand-alone except for the first, which sets the stage for the plot for the rest of the series.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Regalingualius posted:

Plus 1 has the second-greatest cross-examination of all time.

The greatest is a tie between two from Dual Destinies' DLC case.

Oh yeah. That. You'll definitely know it when you see it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm starting it now, but I'm assuming the thread name change is a reference.

Yeah you play as Apollo Justice and he's fine!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Waffleman_ posted:

No, that part I did. The Ace of Attorney part is the change.

Oh, I didn't even notice that. :downs:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

voltcatfish posted:

Oh my god his name is Pees'Lubn Andistan'dhin

We can't get more Ace Attorney than this, folks.

Everything about him owns.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

legoman727 posted:

Okay, this part has me completely stumped.

Case 2, near the end. I'm trying to figure out what is the shadowy figure in the video. I thought it was the body, but it's not on the video. What are you supposed to select because I can not figure this out.

Holy hell someone please help. The one time consultation would be helpful...

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cloofish posted:

Holy hell someone please help. The one time consultation would be helpful...

Ok after like 3 game overs I found what it is. The shadow is mr hat BUT you can't present him. Instead you present the shadow that rises up when Trucy enters.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I dunno, man, I got that part right away myself. It seemed to make sense.

Something I should mention is that I'm a dumbass that can't put (1-4 spoilers) bullet and metal detector together.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 9, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well, finished my 1st day with this game and it kinda got off on the wrong foot but all in all I felt it was pretty good.

Case 1 had a really rough 1st half.Not only did I think the intro was too long, but until Ahnderstand'in shows up the trial is honestly kinda depressing. Like everyone hates Phoenix and wants him dead, and there's not that many jokes or anything. It's just not a great atmosphere. You'd expect Payne to provide some by being pathetic and everything, but Gaspen is just a goddamn scumbag who is not funny at all. The most you've got for some fun is Rayfa because of how easily she reverts to being an embarrassing 13 year old brat, but even then half her lines are "kill the lawyer" or "the lawyer will burn in hell for his insolence". And the case suffers from Phoenix not having a co-council to bounce off of, I didn't realise how essential it ended up seeming to the formula. Rocker Jesus was great though.

Case 2 on the other hand I really enjoyed. Some weird solutions in the trial aside I thought it was pretty great. I kinda wished they extended it to 2 days, I think there was enough there if they split the investigation and trial up a bit. Good characters all round, nice to have happy Ema back but it's still good to see some bitterness and curmudgeonyness in some of her trial scenes. Most importantly though Retinz was a fantastic villain for what was a 1 day case with no plot importance (I think). His animations were great, the confrontation with him was great, his motives were good and he made the case really personal not just for Trucy but for the whole Wright Agency. Nahyuta kinda got overshadowed though, and while I like his animations he doesn't seem too interesting. And his thing of not getting all that angry with the defence, but instead just acting super disappointed with them goes a long way into making him hateable.

Really though the whole case kinda felt to me like it'd be a much better final case to AJ than what we got for that game. The whole Gramayre thing and how during Retinz breakdown he rants about how he only lost because of Apollo and he still totally beat the Gramayres, is just a really nice moment since the game doesn't point it out but considering Apollo's mom he still lost to a Gramayre anyway. It was a fun case.

Anyway, it's been a good game so far. I hope it keeps it up.

:agreed: on your thoughts with case 2. Fantastic and surprising, it's probably one of my favorites.

Disagree with your opinion on Nahyuta. I love his calm but :smug: personality, I think it set him apart well enough from other prosecutors, I mean it really felt like a different kind of battle with him. And it of course made him really satisfying to take down. I'm really interested now in finding out what the hell he and Apollo have to do with each other.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

legoman727 posted:

Case 2: Reintz is totally Robert Downey Jr, right? I'm not the only one who sees this, am I?

I'd be surprised if you didn't.

e:

alcharagia posted:

i already hate prosecutor sahdmadhi he is a mean bad man

He's so delusional and cruel, I love it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why is Robert Downey Jr. such an rear end in a top hat? :(

That's episode 2 spoilers btw. And (Episode 2 end spoilers) he's one of the best villains in the series.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Episode 3 done

The saddest tournabout :smith:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

fronz posted:

Athena is cool out of the court but analytical psychology sucks

gimmicks are aight in investigations, but courtrooms don't need gimmicks, especially ones that are completely obvious like "why is ___ happy that their friend died??"

The mood matrix is never used for something like this.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

fronz posted:

I used it for something like that immediately before I posted.

Oh right, yeah. I know what you're talking about, sorry :downs:. Still I've found it was more used to better understand the state of the crime than to just see through lies. Idk, it occurs infrequently enough and has enough variance to stay interesting imo. :shrug:

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 10, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Anyway me making an rear end of myself aside, Episode 5 may be the greatest and most ambitious case in the series.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Just finished the game, and I gotta say, that was quite a ride! The cases did a good job in ramping things up each case (except for, of course, case 4, which really should have been much earlier in the game) and they did a good job with having satisfying twists in each case.

Maybe it's just me in the honeymoon phase, but case 5 might be the new high point of the series. I don't want to make a huge writeup on it because it's MASSIVE, possibly the biggest case in the series. And it's just one rollercoaster ride from beginning to end. Imo it justifies the purchase of the game but then every other case is really great so...

!SPOILER!
This game really was Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney 2. You've come a long way Polly. :unsmith:
!SPOILER!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Well then, Case 5 Trial Day 2. I never expected prosopagnosia to be an important element of a game again, but here we are.

I had a big stupid grin on my face during that part.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

LostRook posted:

I would say it's more like an actual Apollo Justice game, as the original was really all about Phoenix. That whole game the only thing you really learn about Apollo's past is his mom.

Again, whole game spoilers.

Yeah true. I'm glad the localization team decided to call the game Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice because 1. Apollo is just taking back what's his and 2. The fact that Apollo is the sole protagonist of case 5 is a nice surprise.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Regy Rusty posted:

"Filler" cases are good

They should make a game with all "filler" cases

I don't think the distinction between "filler" and "plot important" cases was made until Trials and Tribulations. I mean yeah 1-4 has a HUGE impact on the rest of the series but they had to have some kind of grand finale for the first game. Trials and Tribulations was the first game to have an overarching plot besides "DL-6 happened". (Incidentally T&T owned a whole lot)

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 11, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Terper posted:

Phoenix is a loser and the game would be better without him taking up screentime

Phoenix is cool but I think he's better telling dad jokes from the sidelines cause Apollo is cooler and much more well-developed.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Full game spoilers, seriously don't read this until you're done.

I love this game. I don't think that's really a controversial opinion seeing as the goon opinion is that this game is AT LEAST among the best the series has to offer. Central to this, I think, is how this game handled Apollo, someone who as the main character in their own game, had almost no agency in any other game. Phoenix was driving the main plot, and Klavier was so loving perfect that he figured out the murderer in 4-2 and 4-3 well before Apollo did. 4-1 and 4-4 Apollo, and you by extension, don't feel any accomplishment because it's really just Phoenix using you to take down Kristoph and restore his good name.

DD was a BIT kinder to Apollo, seeing as newcomer Athena treats him with respect and learns from him. Still, Athena, the newest character, basically drives the plot, and Apollo, while definitely having a major presence in the story, leaves it up to Phoenix to save the day.

SO. We finally get to Spirit of Justice. Phoenix, as expected, kickstarts the game. We get to case 2 and Apollo takes down an extremely intelligent enemy of his family with a plan that would have been flawless if not for Bonny's clumsiness. This earns him the respect of Phoenix, and in a lesser game like DD, that would be the end of Apollo's plot. However we learn in case 3 that Apollo is related to the main prosecutor and the enigmatic force behind the scenes. Case 4 happens and is just kinda there. Then case 5 has you back as Apollo and even has you beat Phoenix Wright in court. Ok cool, Apollo's story is done, time for Phoenix to resolve the rest of the plot.

Only no, you're investigating day 2 as Apollo. Then it switches to Phoenix and Edgeworth. Ok NOW it's time for Phoenix to save the day right? Only no, you stay as Apollo after that, and for the rest of the game. At every intermission you're wondering if Phoenix is going to come back and solve the rest of the case, but no, this game is really about Apollo's past, present, and future. In the end he ends up solving a case greater than any his mentor has solved (much like 3-5) and seeing as he's become his own man, he establishes his own law office. Apollo, the character that ended up shafted in favor of everyone else, has actually had the most complete character arc in the series, pretty much because of one game.

Sorry, that's a pretty long-winded explanation, but this game seriously amazed me. Apollo Justice was inconsistent as gently caress and Dual Destinies pretty much just played things safe, but this game definitely felt like it moved the franchise forward. I have no doubt that this team has at least as much talent as Shu Takumi to create a compelling narrative.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Maple Leaf posted:

Just started on the game now. Is the frame rate a little low for anyone else? I'm using an OG Gen 1 3DS because it's capture-modded and I can't upgrade. It's not a huge issue, the game being what is essentially a graphic novel with music and cutscenes; I'm just wondering if the game was optimized for New 3DS or something.

No, there will be noticeable lag at points regardless of which 3DS you use.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Waffleman_ posted:

Case 4: THIS IS NOT PROPER RAKUGO ATTIRE. I AM GETTING CIRCUS FLASHBACKS!

One difference is that, aside from being just "there", case 4 owns.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AlphaKretin posted:

Hey speaking of Nahyuta, how exactly is one supposed to refer to his unique voice clip?

I can't remember it offhand, but it spells it out in the text log.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ilifinicus posted:

Which one's the best? it's been so long since I played the other games that I don't even remember anymore

Imo Apollo Justice's is by far the best, as it's actually pretty surprising and a pretty wild ride in general.

e: AAI2's is really good too.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Amppelix posted:

'S alright. It's no clown case. Sure, the logic kinda sucks and it has the video, but none of the witnesses are actively unlikable idiots who make you want to stop reading the dialogue (which is what I play these games for mostly anyway).

It's even worse than Turnabout Big Top. First there's the loving video (GOD THAT VIDEO) and then there's the premise: the prosecution asserts that a small child manages to fire a hand cannon without dislocating anything as well as somehow being able to drag a bigass man to the stage.

Then there's the fact that Big Top leads into a kickass case, while Serenade leads into a case that can best be called "uneven".

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Waffleman_ posted:

Case 4: Uendo is a pretty man.

Best witness in the series. Really sad because him being from a filler case means he'll probably never come back. :(

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Adrian Andrews at least had the good fortune to be in a major case. (Even though it doesn't really have a big role in the plot, it's a huge deal in terms of Phoenix and Edgeworth's character development)

Wendy Oldbag I guess? The bellboy? Yeah it doesn't really happen. :sigh:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Terper posted:

If you look over how the whole deal went down it does, technically, not count as "false evidence"... because the court never accepts it as evidence. The Judge asks Apollo to provide a new possibility, Apollo presents the card, the Judge flips out and asks "Is this the card that was taken from the crime scene?!" and Gavin says "No that's impossible" and Phoenix immediately jumps in with "yeah but only the true culprit would know that" which is what he needs to draw attention to the fact that Gavin couldn't have stood where he claimed.

It is a dick move to Apollo but Phoenix never allows it to become evidence, just a possibility, a bluff.

Yeah it's pretty cool because it's insurance to put Kristoph in a no-win situation. Plus Kristoph is so fond of forged evidence anyway.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Raxivace posted:

Man y'all are way ahead of me, I'm still on Case 3. :(

I'm jealous of you because this game is SO good and I want to experience it for the first time again. :(

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It did, she wrote a entire blogpost on it and frequently brings it up if asked.

Really though it's a can of worms that should probably be shoved in the corner.

E: Actual question, what's the fan favorite character of this game? I can't get enough of Datz. He's actually the best.

Datz owns for sure but my favorite is definitely Uendo. I mean, how could you not love FOUR characters for the price of one? It's brilliant. Also I'm glad that Apollo definitively got the spotlight in this game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Irisize posted:

So I just finished the whole game and wow, that was a wild ride.

Thoughts while the credits roll:

I was kind of disappointed with the first two cases, since they were a bit more... simple than what the past few games were up to. Considering how ridiculously convoluted most of the murders in AAI2 and Dual Destinies had been, I guess that's not entirey a bad thing. The other three, though, really hit it out of the park. They had a bunch of twists that were surprising but now completely out of nowhere.

I feel that the whole Apollo and Phoenix thing would have been much more dramatic had they not revealed it coming in one of the trailers, but I was still extremely hype. I cannot sing enough praises for Case five as a whole, because it was really the Ace Attorney experience at it's finest. The whole sequence of Dhurke being reavealed as dead is probably one of the greatest moments in the series. The way it's just suddenly sprung on the player is incredible.

Rayfa is a lot more appealing than her initial introduction set her up to be.

I was going to complain about Phoenix still not talking to Apollo and Trucy about the whole mom thing, but apparently the writers are aware and saving it, so I guess I can't say much.

Game was fantastic.

Woah woah woah.

I can understand not being satisfied with case 1, since it's pretty much held up by Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin, but case 2 is legitimately awesome. As others have said it's a better finale to Apollo Justice than 4-4, with a kickass villain in whose scheme would have been flawless if not for Bonny's clumsiness. And I don't think we've had a remote killing like this before? Overall the case was fantastic, with a fantastically evil villain.

But aside from that minor gripe, yes I can agree with you that this game is fantastic.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's definitely clear from playing this game that the staff took some things away from AA vs. PL; among other things, (case 6-5) Ga'ran came off to me as them wanting take another crack at Darklaw, who had a really great design and animations...and then had absolutely no presence beyond that. Also that theme is sick, she made up for Nahyuta and how insufferably boring he was in spades.

She owns. I never thought we'd have a straight-up Disney villain in Ace Attorney, but well here we are.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

alcharagia posted:

why is this game titled phoenix wright even

Imo the marketing team's decision to rake in more bux makes the reveal that Apollo's the main character even more epic.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://askaceattorney.tumblr.com/post/145664710287/famitsu-aa6-popularity-polls

Some of these are accurate and some of these are very, very wrong (also the Oldbag vote is powerful)

Oldbag is cool, gently caress the haters. Also how is Apollo ranked 5th? He's so blatantly the best it's almost unfair.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

And More posted:

You must be one of those despicable, forked-tongued lawyers. For your lie, you will burn in the eighth hell. It is very unpleasant, let me tell you.

:saddowns:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This series is completely allergic to writing out characters. There's no way Apollo's not back next game.

Tell that to my friend Dick Gumshoe. :(

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

alcharagia posted:

case 5 investigation 2 what the gently caress am I looking for in dhurke's peceive segment

Try checking his left sleeve.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

alcharagia posted:

case 5 trial 2: okay so I know we here on the something awful forums understand the idea of exaggeration. I've literally been laughing for over two minutes straight at Queen Ga'Ran's FINAL FORM. help me

Reasonable reaction tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Momomo posted:

Putting the cases out of order doesn't typically help the narrative at all, so I prefer them in chronological order. AA5 was especially bad about it since you had stuff like Athena suffering PTSD from Payne when she had already beaten Blackquill in court.

Also, I've just barely started case 5 and the plot has already decided to punch Apollo in the face. This poor boy just wants to have a normal life, drat it.

It worked really, really well narratively in T&T but yeah they went reeeeeally overboard with that in DD. Iirc the case order was 2 -> DLC -> 3 -> first part of 4 -> 1 -> second part of 4 -> 5 :psyduck: