Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waffleman_ posted:

We're almost 24 hours away from a new Ace Attorney game.

I am excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gotta love when a thread is just pages and pages of "Is it out yet? I'm hearing some people have it but I can't get it. Ok it's downloading now. I think I have it? I have it, it's out! It's not out for me though am I doing something wrong?" :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish Rayfa would put on a shirt or pants or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Case 5 is making me have emotions. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well I finished the game. Really good! It goes a lot goofier than any previous AA games both in scope and in subject matter, but there's a really strong emotional core throughout. I've got some mild nitpicks that I'll probably post about later, but so far this game is A-OK with me. And it was nice to have prosecutors that are actually objectively wrong and one of them's even evil, rather than the usual "I was trying to convict innocent people of serious crimes because I'm nice" :downs: stuff a lot of later games had.

cloofish posted:

Imo the marketing team's decision to rake in more bux makes the reveal that Apollo's the main character even more epic.

Only a very cynical and sarcastic person would claim Apollo was the main character of his first game, so he was about due.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress ME.

Also, I think the thing I want the most from a future AA game is for someone to deskslam so hard they break their desk. Even just once.

I could swear that's already happened.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Momomo posted:

Case 4: It was a decent enough case, though it didn't seem quite as impossible to localize as people were saying. Sure, it's out of place that they'd have a rakugo performers, but it didn't seem any stranger than Kurain village. The soba/udon thing was a bit confusing, but eh. Only thing that showed the localizers probably struggled was OWEN 4TH, but it's not like they haven't done word play before. The localization also made Blackquill into even more of a giant weeb, so I'd almost say we got the better version.

I think people were expecting the localization team to try to turn all this rakugo and japanese noodle stuff into Americanized equivalents (like how ramen became burgers), and yeah, THAT would've been a monumental task. But since this is an alternate universe where the US has more asian immigrants, it was fine to just leave it as-is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Now I wanna see Hamilton Burgins and his stack of sliders.

If this was still the DS era, we probably WOULD have seen that, and it would've kind of ruled. But this is an era where they don't even release AA games on cartridges anymore. :saddowns:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm perfectly happy with a mix of both. I don't want the game to suddenly start using the Japanese names and talking about Tokyo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's not a hole. Localizing things is good. Burgers are good. Japanese puns are bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know how you can possibly say puns are bad in the Ace Attorney thread of all places.

They're bad if they're in a language the audience doesn't understand.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Larry Butz is the realest name ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

cloofish posted:

Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin is the best name in the entire goddamn series.

Man, I spent the whole trial waiting for his hippie wig to fall off, and it never did. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

alcharagia posted:

So like... I have to be near the end right? There can't be that much more to this.

Maya's about to channel Quercus Alba for another hour and a half of cross examination.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

SoJ's case 2 is pretty much the best case 2 in the series. Probably one of my all time favourite's as well.

The main thing that brings cases 2 and 3 down is that the clients are people we already know. And Maya's been accused like 4 times by now. I get that it's largely because they wanted the larger cast of protagonists to breathe more, but still.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I would prefer never seeing Klavier again in general, let alone behind the prosecution bench.

I wouldn't mind if his corpse turned up but that's about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franziska is awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not all prosecutors have to be villains

Yes they do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

About case 5 I really liked how it felt like you really were facing off against Phoenix instead of yet another prosecutor. He feels a bit unusually prepared since you're not playing as him, but he pulls a bunch of things out of his rear end to reverse the flow of the trial, which is totally what Phoenix does.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yeah, while I'm talking about the game again, boy is the voice acting in this game garbo. Luckily we're not subjected to much of it, but other than A DRAGON NEVER YIELDS it was all really bad. Rayfa was the worst offender, she's supposed to be barely 14 but she straight up sounds 30.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, both times prior to this that Athena has stood in court, she's had a complete and total breakdown.

Did she break down in case 5-3?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JFA has my favorite case in the entire series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Agreed. Too bad about the rest of it.

I think case 2 is pretty good and the intro case is fine too. It just has one case that's bad in a bunch of ways and drags on forever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

derra posted:

JFA is better than the first game, which easily made it top 3 prior to SoJ.

I don't think anything's better than the first game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e: fff

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I dunno man. The game obviously wants you to think of Acro as a tragic individual instead of a villain, but he wanted to murder a 15 year old girl for basically no reason and then tried to frame someone else when his incredibly stupid plan went wrong. He's a sack of poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

2-3 is the worst in the series for many reasons, including having a notably sloppier localization job than any other case.

gently caress you if you're throwing shade on "In west Clownadelphia, born and raised"

Waffleman_ posted:

Actually, it's easier to make the 3D models, since you only have to make the model once and apply the animations to it rather than redrawing sprite after sprite. You're also underestimating how many frames an animation would have and how many animations even a one-off witness would have.

A general rule I've heard from everyone who ever worked on anything in 3D is that making a new model takes for-loving ever and that's why a bunch of early CG tv shows had so few characters. The easy part is animating them once you've built the rig. I assume this holds true even today.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 19, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really think you have to twist yourself into knots to have a problem with Robin Newman's character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Oh it gets worse. In the Japanese version, Hotti was straight up a pedophile that wanted Pearl to come "visit" him.

This was changed for the localization, obviously. And for the better I might add.

It was very obvious what was going on despite the attempts of localizers.

Also I took Jean Armstrong much better than I should've because he looks very much like an acquaintance of mine at the time who would probably have acted exactly as... "fabulous" as that if he wasn't afraid of getting gay bashed.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 19, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hobo Phoenix is a great visual but it's dragged down by him losing his badge 20 minutes after the closing credits of Trials and Tribulations and him acting like a huge dick the entire game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I thought you guys were talking about Greyerl when you said Jean, who was yet another "surprise they're a chick" character. She was also handled in kind of an eyerolling fashion, though less so than Robin. Her voice literally changes at the reveal for no discernible reason. Capcom's not very good at these characters, are they?

While nothing in PW v Layton is interesting past the first case, it sure makes a lot more sense to use that trope in a (fake) medieval society. Plus I just interpreted it as her voice changing due to no longer faking a boy's voice. Occam's razor and all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The main complaint I'd heard about Robin that was worth addressing was that once she's revealed to be a girl she starts acting like a complete girly girl stereotype, which I was completely fine with. She had girly interests that she hid because she was trying to seem manly, and had a girly personality she hid for the same reason. If anything, it's something closeted people should relate to. We live in a society that stll judges people who have interests that are supposed to be for the other gender, and people who are LGBTQ but closeted are hyper-aware of these judgements and tend to hide parts of themselves that could lead anyone to think they're not straight as an arrow.

But for some reason a bunch of people took her personality shift to mean that all women like super girly stuff and are kidding themselves if they pretend otherwise, and her transformation to mean that trans people are pretending to be something they're not and would feel better if they stopped, which seems like purposefully missing the point just so you can complain about something?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

5-3 sucks because Apollo and Juniper don't kiss.

hosed up that Juniper didn't even get mentioned in this game.

Momomo posted:

She's way too young for him, Apollo should be kissing people his own age.

I don't think anything made me more uncomfortable in the series than Dhurke talking about how Trucy and Apollo should totally get married.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

In Dhurke's defense, he had no idea that Trucy and Apollo were related

It just reflects very poorly on Phoenix.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'll admit my memory is a bit fuzzy since I beat the case late last night but uh case 5 stuff: given the time period the AA games take place in, Jove woulda died in 2005. are we seriously implying that despite the fact that people knew that a famous(?) musician was one of the people who died - The judge even comments that he seemed to know who he was, that no one could punch his name into the internet and find a picture of him in 23 years? I know Kur'ain is sorta old timey but out of all the dumb stuff in AA I find that a little too absurd.

I think the near-future stuff is a localization thing. The original Ace Attorney is supposed to take place in the year the GBA game came out in Japan, which would make that make some sort of sense, although even then, that kind of sloppy record keeping is more like, 70s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Did you catch the bit later in Case 5, Investigation 2 where they open the locket and Athena starts teasing Dhurke about liking younger women? When Dhurke points out he was younger in the picture too Athena replies "aw, that's no fun."

I don't want to think about that too hard. It's a little disturbing!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Regarding the ending, I hope Apollo gets a slight redesign when he inevitably shows up in AA7, just so he looks less like a rookie and more like the owner of a firm. Give him his own jacket at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's weird how much worse the fingerprinting is in this game than it was in 1-5. Like it feels way less smooth mechanically and takes way longer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well Manicured Man posted:

My memory might be a little foggy, but I don't recall the "final boss" breakdowns being quite as over-the-top or cartoonish as a lot of other breakdowns in other cases, with the exception of 2-4 and 5-5.

Uh, you're forgetting the most emotionally restrained individual in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

cloofish posted:

The music in general is drat good but that just comes with the territory.

I still think the music was better when it was more chiptuney/techno-y and less orchestral. Except "Objection", that one sounds pretty good with strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSu8Xh02Z8