Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

starr owns the bugle right now. he wants to sell his boss pictures of him beating up said boss.

"Hey, I took these pictures of you getting beaten up by Spider-Man at your isolated country retreat hours away from the city. I was just in the grounds at the time and happened to see the action going down!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love that Spidey's reaction to Ant-Man getting shrink gassed is just like "oh, suck it up, you god drat baby".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, if they didn't have that as a gimme, it would be a pretty terrible power. "Look out, I'm small now! I can't fly or anything, but I am very small! Given a long piece of string and some time, I could probably climb into your ear and punch your eardrum!"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I could think of plenty of things you can do while small even if you don't keep your strength.

It depends how small and in what context. Like, it'd definitely be great for a lot of scientific and medical work, among other things, but if Shrinks Man is trying to stop any sort of immediately happening crime and his gimmick is "reduce self to one inch tall with land speed of 3cm/second", that's not a great hammer for that particular nail.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh man, Hank aged? This truly is the best continuity.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Looks like Jonah got a little shrinking gas in his eyes, there.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

He still hasn't disproven my hypothesis that he is searching for the best hamburger on Earth.

"Ronan accuses this burger...of being delicious!"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, if you have a magic power that makes you incredibly strong despite having no muscle tone, it's not a stretch to say that same magic power protects you from snapping yourself in half when you lift something. Even "traditionally" super strong heroes have to be subjected to this same suspension of disbelief, they'd be similarly physically improbable due to the fact that you can't just "scale up" natural bodies and expect them to still work consistently.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, when Superman lifts an ocean liner, scientifically speaking all his incredible strength would mean is that his hands puncture the hull. Even if you have enough strength to lift something huge, you also need a sufficient distribution of pressure over a surface area relative to the size of the object, or you'd just punch straight through it (unless it was made of a material hard enough to distribute the massive amount of force applied rather than buckling or being pierced by it). In general trying to explain superpowers through science is a bit of a mug's game.

e: not that that means it's not fun, especially when Squirrel Girl does it, because it totally is!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Newspaper Rocket looks horrifying. His little teeth, man.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love that Rocket isn't executing any kind of shoulder charge or directed strike and is just launching his entire body plank-wise at Spider-Man.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm amazed and delighted that Rocket instantly repeated his ludicrous "throw self forward in rigid, arm-locked position" attack from before, and that it worked if anything even better this time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Space raccoons have an internal propulsion system that allows them to achieve ramming speed, I bet.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rocket looks like a character from one of the poorer Five Nights at Freddy's sequels.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Weekend Rocket is so skillfully drawn after day on day of staring into the dead, beady eyes of that nightmare fang puppet. It'd almost be jarring if it wasn't such a relief.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MJ's anatomy in this strip is a nightmare, it's like she's been struck by a curse and is mid-way through transforming into a gorilla. Like, where are her hands going? Why is her butt sticking out?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A naked Rocket Raccoon fights a stray dog over trash outside a motel.

I don't know what you even add to that. It's perfect.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I just noticed MJ's skeleton leggings. Stylish!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love Rocket's beautiful lady hands, this strip is amazing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, let's be real. This is the guy it's okay to kill right here. That said, maybe Spider-Man's leniency will avert a diplomatic incident.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm a little confused by Rocket's quotes around "AIR". Like... yes, air is a thing that every planet with gravity will have. It's not a novel concept.

I actually think it's pretty deft. The quotes imply that Ronan isn't breathing in the way we would understand it, he's just doing something analogous to breathing, which makes him passing out instead of asphyxiating make a little more sense.

Also I'm pretty sure air is more usually defined as specifically the mixture of gases in Earth's atmosphere, so it's correct in that sense too.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

With this feat I'm pretty sure Newspaper Spidey has established that he's far, far physically stronger than his comics incarnation, because drat.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh sure, he's strong, but "tearing apart volcano-proof alien metal with his bare hands" is a new level compared to his comics benchmark.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Spider-Man's charm (really the central premise of his character) comes from the fact that he's a put-upon average guy trying to use his astonishing powers for good despite life's slings and arrows. Back in the 60s, this was what set Marvel apart in the comics industry and, arguably, revolutionised the whole practise of storytelling in comics: while DC traded in strong, heroic archetypes Doing What is Right, Marvel introduced a range of characters who were weird, had flaws, and were comparatively more grounded.

Like, DC's flagship character is Batman, but back then Batman wasn't the flawed, layered, psychologically textured character people know him as today. He was a goofy costumed do-gooder who had adventures where a laser gave him a magnetised zebra costume or, like, flattened him into a disc. Not all Batman stories were goofy, but his character back in the early 60s was pretty simple: he was a brave hero who fought costumed kooks and upheld the law with the help of his child sidekick. He was rich, talented, and supremely capable, and if he had serious problems they were usually of the zebra laser variety.

Spider-Man was a poor teenager from a working class family in Queens who had to make enough money to get by selling photographs to a tyrannical boss. He was bullied at school, unlucky in love, and not always so great at the whole hero thing. There's an early story where he has to fight crime with a broken arm, and another where Aunt May nearly dies because Peter, serving as the donor in a blood transfusion for her, doesn't realise that his blood is still radioactive from the spider bite and will poison her from the inside out. Understandably, people related more to the average guy trying to do what was right despite his life being confusing and hard than they did, at that point, to flawless archetypes like Batman and Superman. DC eventually picked up the lead after they realised they needed to compete with the narrative complexity that was driving Marvel's massive commercial success, and that's why we have the comics industry we have today.

That said, Newspaper Spider-Man is astonishingly, beautifully incompetent and that is part of his unique charm. But it's coming from somewhere.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I'm willing to bet there's no Tyrannus and this is all a clever ruse to get May to marry him.

It would explain how weirdly ready he appeared to be to martyr himself to Lenny.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

What happened to the runoff Fountain of Youth water when the plug was in there? The pool would eventually fill if there's a constant stream, so it must go somewhere.

It seems to me there would be a bigger problem with immortal beings trying to take over the surface world with this much eternal-life water running around down in various parts of Subterranea.

There's a moloid with the Robin Williams disease from Jack acting as an overflow pump, constantly vacillating between very old and very young.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

*smashes everything in the room* You guys wanna come hang out in my cabin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Pretty sure we're gonna either have a gamma-powered Lizard or a Liz/Hulk fight, which will be over in ten seconds with the Hulk throwing the Lizard who goes 'ronk!' and lands in Connecticut.

This would mean that Newspaper Spider-Man was currently engaging in sophisticated foreshadowing, which would be pretty fantastic.

• Locked thread