Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I started taking martial arts thanks to the previous thread, and I can say that it's a super fun hobby that will make you twice as obnoxious to all your normal people friends who don't think about otoshi garis and axe kicks all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Wait is $75/month supposed to be high for judo? The cheapest martial arts I've seen offered have been $80/month. What's the typical going price for judo if not $75+?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
=/ I'm kind of miffed about this kyokushin place I tried out for a couple months. We did some contact drills with partners--lots of bruises every week--but in the time that I was there for, there was zero sparring going on, even for the more advanced students. I was expecting something like randori to be a regular part of the curriculum. I ended up finding a post online where a former student a couple years back was complaining about the same thing about this dojo. I guess it's entrenched by now.

I think karate is cool and fun, but I don't get how regular sparring--one of the funnest parts of it--is so hard to include.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
:) I'm trying out a new Judo place today! Ever since I tried out a college judo club a couple years ago I've been wanting to practice it regularly, but a bad string of illnesses got in the way. No more! New year, new incoming newbie to taste the floor over and over again.

I will never not be amused by the IJF video's pronunciation of "Jiggoro Kaino" and "Hansoku macky"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I got a nice bruise(?) from my sensei putting me in my first rear naked choke. I feel like I can cross something off my martial arts bucket list now.

oddly enough the intense pressure it put on my adam's apple seemed to override any of the pain from the choke itself. I had some tears in my eyes when he was done demonstrating it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Good luck! Don't forget your kaioken, it's what sets the gokus apart from the yamchas

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I like that they have the schizophrenic website design of a legit martial arts dojo though, good effort

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
How rough are judo crawls (where you lay down on your stomach and pull yourself forward with your elbows) supposed to be on your elbows? I was doing a few sets of them in class and ended up rubbing my elbows raw. I dunno if my skin's just delicate, or my gi is especially rough or if this is just what happens when you do the drill.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Is this just for like randori and sparring, or do you put the mouthguard in any time you're working techniques?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I just passed my test for my yellow belt in judo today! :) I'm one step closer to not being hopelessly bad at hugging people.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I don't have the belt or the certificate in yet, sorry.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Thanks! I like o soto gari but I haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. I do like o soto otoshi quite a bit though. My dojo's pretty small and most of the other people in it are shorter than me, so I've been wanting to get comfortable with a variety of leg techniques.

My actual favorite techniques though are probably kesa gatame and yoko shiho gatame. Something about the principle of "press your weight on them in the most uncomfortable way possible" is just really intuitive to me.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Defenestrategy posted:

It has problems with every attack. It's a pretty incomplete system.

Someone on bullshido posted something a while ago that's probably false and I'm half remembering, but it has an air of truthiness about it, but it went something like Wing Chun might have a grain of truth in it some where, like at one time everyone in china who fought knew how to fight properly and wing chun was an addition to a curriculum of knowing how to box, kick, and grapple. Then over hundreds of years, people passed down wing chun like it was a complete art instead of as an addendum to already knowing how to fight, and now no one knows how to actually use it, because the way to actually no poo poo use it in a fight is lost to history.

isn't this basically what most people say about aikido too? that everyone who originally trained aikido under its founder had black belts in judo or karate already

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I've been doing judo for a while now, and I'd like to catch up a bit on my ground techniques. I know a few holds and submissions for my yellow belt, but I have gaps in some of the more technical stuff like escapes, mounting positions, ways to get past someone's guard, and stuff like that. In judo there are a bunch of kihon/basic techniques, like breakfalls, footwork, posture, and gripping, and they all have specific names and specific ways to perform them so it's easy to learn. Like if I knew someone who wanted to learn judo from scratch, for standing techniques I could be like "okay, here's the footwork, here's how you fall, here's how you grip," and so on, and could catch them up to speed on the fundamentals. Is there an equivalent like that for newaza or bjj?

I know how to shrimp and how to bridge, and how to try to peel someone out of a turtle, but that's where my ability to move around on the ground ends. Are there like, some basic terms I should look up and practice? My dojo doesn't do ground stuff too often so I want to get a little bit extra in on my own.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

OscarDiggs posted:

Is this an appropriate place to ask for advice on improvement?

Two big things I noticed on my first Judo session was firstly, I was either doing the hand movements or doing the leg movements, but not both at the same time, and secondly, I was taught and managed to practice two different throws, and one of them was a leg sweep throw. I could only manage to keep myself from falling over half the time when performing it; I just don't have the balance for it.

So, I can't practice my falls since I don't have a crash mat, and I really can't pratice any throws since, not only have I only done it once so I'd likely do it incorrectly unsupervised, there's also no one to practice with. Is there, however, ways or means for me to practice my coordination and balance?

For practicing your falls, you can do them starting lower on the ground and you shouldn't need a crash mat. For forward rolls, start out on your knees. For back falls, start in a squatting position. For side falls lower yourself slowly to the ground, or start on the ground and just alternate sides while slapping the floor at the right time. As long as you know the basics from your class, you should be able to do these safely on grass or carpet. Try to focus on ending in the correct position as well as rolling straight for your forward rolls. Just uhh, make sure you have enough clearance so you won't hit any furniture.

I'm still a beginner too, and getting your hands and feet coordinated is definitely one of the hardest parts of judo. For me, one of the things that helps is to recognize that when you're learning a throw, you want to learn what your hands are doing and what your feet are doing--but when you're actually doing the throw, you aren't controlling your hands and feet separately. Your body should be moving fluidly together. Like if you're revving up a lawn mower, just yanking with your arm requires a lot of effort. But if you step back with your feet and pull with your whole body, you generate a lot more power. You want to be able to use your whole body's momentum when you throw, not just your arms and legs in an isolated manner. Once you get the individual movements down in terms of where your hands and feet are supposed to go, you want to work on synchronizing them so that your whole body is moving with the throw.

If you want to work on your balance, something like yoga might help. Practicing tree pose and the warrior poses might be helpful, because they're good for conditioning your legs and for improving your balance.

Judo is pretty awesome! There will get to be a point in not too long where you throw a single really clean throw out of nowhere and you'll get hooked wanting to make it happen again :D

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Squirrel Burger posted:

Any opinions about kajukenbo? There’s apparently a really great gym here in LA (Kingi’s) and I’m looking for a practical street fighting style to compliment BJJ. Did Krav Maga for a bit but ultimately decided to stop since so much of it was just woo; I like the idea of KJKB as an alternative that actually integrates live sparring and striking disciplines like Chinese boxing.

From their website (I'm pretty sure): "At our school, you will learn Forms (Katas), Self-Defense Techniques, Point Sparring (Sport Karate), & Street Fighting."

For good or bad, I think you'll find a functional equivalent to shotokan karate there. I saw an osoto gari in their homepage video, but it was in their little demo trailer. If the only part of their style that they spar with is sport karate, i don't know if you'd really be practicing the judo or jujutsu parts hard enough to really be able to use them outside of compliant drills

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I've been doing judo for almost 8 months now, and I've been picking up a few little pains around certain joints of my body. Like, my thumb/wrist, my shoulder, one of my big toes. And tonight I was doing some light ne waza with someone a lot heavier than me and when he was turning me over I heard a loud series of little cracks/pops around my humerus/ulna area. It doesn't seem like anything major, but I have the feeling that this one is going to join all the others and linger for a while.

Is this normal? Like, none of them hurt enough to get in the way of performance except maybe my thumb/wrist, and that's only when I'm doing chokes. The pain's pretty minor, but I'm a little worried that since these aches are happening around parts of my body that are pretty much always going to get used every time I practice, then they might never fully heal/might start degrading further over time.

is this anything to look out for or am I just living the judo life

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I guess this is the faustian bargain I made when I decided it was worth learning how to do really sweet throws.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Hey, so I have a serious :can: question.

My judo instructor has been hankering to have me compete in a tournament sometime. I'm a trans woman who's been on hormones for about 7 years. I'm not out to anyone at this judo club. I know there's a huge debate over what to do with trans athletes, and I take that pretty seriously. I personally spent the majority of my life as a fat pasty nerd, and I don't think I've ever been able to bench press an unloaded barbell bar, so I don't think residual pre-transition strength is an issue. But it's definitely something I don't want to treat frivolously. And in grappling I feel like there's a bigger chance of my trans-ness being apparent, just because you get way up in people's space. So while I personally think competing at a tournament sounds kind of fun, I'm afraid that it could turn into a huge mess.

What should I do? Aim to compete in a men's tournament (I'd have a huge disadvantage, but there'd be no can of worms)? Just say no to competition?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm in a pretty small judo club and am currently the only female judoka there, so I definitely feel the difference in power between me and the guys I've practiced with. I'm coming up on my orange belt promotion soon, so I'd just be doing low-level amateur competition. There's no rush for me to come to a decision, but I'll definitely keep what everyone's said in mind. I think if I eventually do decide to sign up for a tournament, I'll probably talk to the organizers about it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

spacetoaster posted:

I have a question, since some of you seem to know things.

Are women's muscles/tendons/bones arranged any differently than men's?

I've been in the army a while and I've heard several people say (all women), in the training environment, that women develop hip/joint issues more than the guys simply due to muscle/tendon/bone arrangement. I've never seen any science about it, but I work in a branch where around 50% of the soldiers are women and they talk about this. A lot.

Also, one of my minors is in forensic anthropology and I know for a fact that you can identify the gender of someone by their bones, I just don't know about muscles/tendons/etc. Or if any of those things would make a difference.

I just finished a midterm exam on the skeletal system and muscular system for an anatomy class. The only difference I am aware of involves the hip and pelvic region. The sacrum and coccyx in men tilts forward, while in women it tilts back slightly (to provide more room for birth). Women have a greater angle in their pubic arch, which makes the legs have a slight inward angle compared to men, whose femurs are attached more straight.

The tilt in the femur attachment site in the hips can lead to some hip and leg problems, as it's a less stable position than the straight, upright configuration in men, so it can put more stress on the bones/muscles/connective tissues of those areas. I imagine that hormone imbalances could also lead to some joint issues.

If you look it up online, you'll see things that claim that men have larger skulls, women have shorter legs, or that women have more flexible joints, and so on. I would take those a bit more cautiously. The sexual differences in the pelvic bone (and thus in the angle of the legs due to their attachment site being different) have a specific physiological purpose. Other purported differences are probably based on taking a statistical average. Obviously, there are men and women of all kinds of proportions. There are undoubtedly some women who have proportionally longer legs, and some men who have proportionally smaller shoulders.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Verisimilidude posted:

The only real solution I've come to is further scientific analysis and differentiation between fighters in an attempt to reduce physical advantages, and thus draw out a more accurate assessment of difference in skill, while also mitigating the potential for injury. Differentiate fighters with regards to weight, height, arm-length, shoulder-width, twitch muscle fiber, etc., but not specifically gender. I'm not sure where the line can be drawn to say "we'll measure up to this point, but any differences beyond this are OK", but it's a foundation to build on.

I really want to get a job as the person who makes fighting game parameter graphs for everyone

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I got my orange belt in judo!

To date, I've landed I think 3 throws in randori that actually felt like "maximum efficiency, minimal effort." A magical o soto gari against a fellow white belt who was approaching me right at the start of randori too quickly to keep his balance; a harai makikomi at the very beginning of a randori before the teenager I was up against could get his grip; and a ko soto gari where for once I just saw a clear opening and realized "oh! your foot's just right there for me to sweep." It was like time slowed down on that third one as I realized I had an opportunity. Those brief moments of basic competence are super encouraging and unforgettable. Most of the time I just sort of stiffly and awkwardly try to set up either an o soto gari or a ko soto gake, or go into a kesa gatame on the ground if either of us flub a throw.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I wonder if they only get one shot for the whole competition, or if they go in rounds. Kyudo (and archery in general) looks really enjoyable to me.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
if the judo classes are only an hour long, i could see why you might not do randori every class period. the place i go to meets twice a week for 2 hours each, and we normally alternate doing randori once a week or twice a week. Randori is great, but it kinda seems to my newbie orange belt self that my randori will stagnate pretty quickly if we don't have some classes that focus more on drilling the fundamentals. Like, if you're skipping randori to focus on uchikomi, that's probably just as good use of your time.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Mutual Welfare and Benefit :homebrew:

I found out a local YMCA has a free judo club once a week on Saturdays, so I'm going to be switching over to them from my old twice-a-week judo classes because of work hour conflicts. It also turns out the same YMCA hosts Aikido twice a week for a nominal fee. I am cautiously curious, but I'll probably check it out. Aikido sounds conceptually to me like "what if judo was like yoga," which might not be a bad way to get some extra exercise in.

I'm wondering if I'm going to be in for culture shock

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
judo pants are the worst. "they're made to fit all sorts of people" is a busted excuse for their design. that's what different sizes are supposed to be for.

make sure you tie a knot or a bow or something into the little cloth belt that comes with the pants before putting it in the wash, or eventually the spin cycle will tease the belt out of place and you'll have to use a coat hanger or something to tediously fix it. Or just start putting your old pair of karate pants on the line every time you do mat work and hope nobody tears them

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
assert your dominance by going "oss!" even if no one else does. extra points if they're counting to ten in japanese and you just say "oss! oss! oss! oss!" every time.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Her kuzushi is not loving around. At a quick glance I thought she pushed him back and then he approached her and she seoi naged him, but she's actually got her hand on his collar the whole time and is absolutely pushing him back to set up for the takedown.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Count Roland posted:

Not just pushing, but using her leg to trip him up a bit as well.

And I am also not signed up to instagram, it should be publicly viewable.

Oh I didn't even catch that. Guess she goes for an ouchi gari, it knocks him off balance, and she uses that as an opening for a drop seoi nage. I've seen that clip in the past, I wonder what the context is. I don't know how bad it would be on dirt but landing a throw that way in the middle of the street looks like it could break someone's neck.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I agree with CommonShore that you ideally have someone watching you to point out mistakes. Forward rolls are particularly difficult to get the hang of when you're new at them--the refrain I've heard over and over is "that was a barrel roll, not a forward roll. Try again." The thing we'd do in judo is start by practicing low to the ground and working your way up, so doing your breakfalls from your knees at first and working your way to doing them while standing and moving.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Anyone have experience getting back into martial arts after a back injury? I've been real unlucky the past couple of years and got rear-ended twice, and it's led to several neck and lower back herniations. I miss judo like crazy, but just imagining rolling or loading someone onto my back for a throw makes me feel like it's not going to be okay. I'm starting to consider maybe switching over to something easier on the body, like karate or aikido. Even with BJJ, I'm kind of worried that all the ways your neck can get contorted during ground work might be beyond what I can handle.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Dojo oaths/creeds are a pretty common thing in east asian martial arts. Here's Kyokushin karate's dojo oath--it's a martial art notorious for its intense full contact knockdown tournaments, and even it's got one:

quote:

We will train our hearts and bodies for a firm unshaking spirit.
We will pursue the true meaning of the Martial Way, so that in time, our senses may be alert.
With true vigor, we will seek to cultivate a spirit of self denial.
We will observe the rules of courtesy, respect our superiors, and refrain from violence.
We will follow our spiritual practice, and never forget the true virtue of humility.
We will look upwards to wisdom and strength, not seeking other desires.
All our lives, through the discipline of karate, we will seek to fulfill the true meaning of the kyokushin way.

Sir and ma'am to instructors is totally standard--any east asian martial art is going to ask that you refer to the instructor and black belts as some form of sir, ma'am, sensei, sifu, coach, or whatever.

In general, a lot of the formality is pretty normal by asian standards but may rub people the wrong way if they're encountering it for the first time. Bowing to portraits of the founder, bowing to each other, bowing while entering or leaving the dojo, etc. are also all normal. I know it rubs some folks the wrong way, but in my opinion a spirit of deference is useful in any martial art because you're going to have your ego humbled one way or another, so you might as well embrace showing respect to the people and things around you. It's basically just the equivalent of a handshake anyway.

Of course, the respect must always go both ways. The instructor will have authority within the scope of teaching and leading the class, but that doesn't give them any right to treat you improperly.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
That's real gross. I totally get the feeling too old for randori bit, it's the reason (outside Covid) i've been wary of starting up again after my back got hosed up in a car crash. I dunno what's available around your area, but have you considered something like kendo or even iaido or kenjutsu? Kendo has a lot of randori, but it's much easier on the body than a striking or grappling art, and it ticks the ritual and exercise boxes real well. The few kendo places I've been to have had a pretty stoic, practice-first socialize-later energy to them, which I appreciated after going to a kyokushin place where one of the instructors would weirdly poo poo talk Koreans all the time. Look mr. redneck cop, I get that kyokushin is for hardened badasses, not like that sissy olympic tae kwon do stuff you hate, but... I'm korean. the founder of kyokushin is korean. how is this happening???

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Cool stuff. The footwork looks weird though. I've dropped in on a few judo classes and they seem much more heavy and based out than what you see in the video. More economy of movement.

I think the purpose of that video is to demonstrate judo in action, so they're taking a pretty light-on-their-feet, positive approach. Basically, focusing on trying to make throws happen, rather than focusing on trying not to lose. In the Olympics there's always a lot of talk of "defensive judo" and "technical judo" which are based on defending your gi, securing wazaris and playing the clock. Since this is a demonstration, moreover one with a 10th dan, it seems like it's more about gripping up immediately and showing the fundamentals at work.

I'm sure some of it is also just, not wanting to get too rough. Like as an example, there's one part where a throw fails and Mifune's literally up in the air. In a competitive match, the tori would absolutely use that opportunity to try to take the fight to the ground, even if it was gnarly and scrappy and not a clean ippon.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Really want to get back into martial arts, but I don't think my spine and joints are ready for returning to judo. There's an aikido place near where I work that I might give a shot, as a way to kind of settle back into things and see if I'm ready to practice without risking reinjuring anything.

Anything I should look for/look out for in an aikido place? It looks like it's a Birankai school from what I can tell. The instructor is a 5th dan and it's not too hard to find some demonstration videos he's been in from about a decade ago, so it seems to check out.

Aikido seems interesting to me, and I am a sucker for swinging around swords and staves so I think it could be fun. Really want to make sure that if I try a new art, I'm going in with beginner's mind and not carrying my past martial arts experience around as baggage.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
What is the lineage for Asian staff fighting, anyway? I've only ever seen staffs integrated into karate/aikido/taichi, and never as its own standalone art like how swords have kendo/iado/etc.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Ohtori Akio posted:

Started kendo, kendo rules. It's a really nice feeling being in a huge traditional practice with a bunch of helpful senior students. i don't think it would be helpful in a street fight, but I own running shoes.

Holy loving poo poo a hardwood floor hurts bare feet though.

I think many different martial artists over the last century had the thought, "oh I could totally work jō into this". Kendo has its own, aikido has its own, I know the old schools do too. I don't think I'd ever be interested, I'm just not that likely to run into an angry swordsman blocking my path.

:) I actually returned to a kendo class for the first time tonight, after about 5 years. Back in the day I had to stop practice right before I could put on armor and actually spar, so I'm hoping that after a few return sessions I'll be able to do some keiko and feel what it's like to get thwacked with a bamboo sword a thousand times in one night.

Kendo does indeed rule.

WRT the floor hardness thing, your mileage varies. My club had to switch venues, and the old place had much softer wood floors that had some give to them. The new place's floor looks like some sort of fake or combination wood, and it's really hard. Most of my club's post-covid lockdown members are 40+ , and they were warning me about being careful about the stomp you do when you strike.

Kendo club only meets once a week, so I'm going to visit an aikido place tomorrow and see what it's like. Hoping it's just chill and down to earth. Where I am in life, those flow practices look really appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Naginata is so rad. The stance and sweeping strikes look so awesome. I wish kendo and naginatado were more common in the states, those kendo vs. naginata exhibitions on youtube look really rewarding and fun.

Glad to hear that you're in a safe and accepting space. I always feel kinda awkward that my kiai doesn't sound like most women's, but people have told me I have a pretty vigorous shout so I can't feel too bad about it.