Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Cross-Section posted:

New clip with Bendu, voiced by Tom Baker.

Interesting that Ashla and Bogan are popping up here, wouldn't be surprised if Tython got name-dropped as well. Also liking the ambiguity about the Force that they're introducing with this character, reminds me of KotOR 2 a bit.

Ashla and Bogan are terms that have been around since the first few drafts of Lucas' original scripts, so it's in keepig with the whole "going back to the well" theme that Rebels has had from day one. Tython, AFAIK, is a relatively recent addition. That's not saying it won't pop up, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

MildShow posted:

Speaking of Lego Star Wars, did anyone else watch the Freemaker Adventures series that aired a while back? Definitely aimed at a younger audience than either Clone Wars or Rebels, but I still found it enjoyable.

That show was so much more entertaining than it had any right to be.
You could really feel the writers were fans of the material - some of the stuff they included were real deep cuts from SW lore. (Such as namedropping whroshyr wood and shyriiwook, for example, or naming the space station the Wheel) And even though it had the usual Lego silliness (especially the characterizations of Vader and Palpatine) the show was genuinely dramatic when it needed to be. The battledroid humor worked pretty well, as did the funny Hutt adversary. Plus, Lando voiced by Billy Dee Williams? Works every time.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

He didn't even get a goddamn hug when his heterosexual life partner died.

Leia has always been racist about Wookiees: "Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?"

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Curse you Sheev for the normalisation of relations between the Naboo and Gungans! :argh:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auspu9FfOUg

:magical:

I.. I never knew I needed this until this very moment.

This has some wonderfully obscure stuff - they even included the red snuggies! Bonus points for listeners of Rebel Force Radio, where "Where's Kitster?" has been a running joke for like a decade.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Veotax posted:

I spent last the week or so catching up on this show and found my self really enjoying it. I never watched the Clone Wars, if I'm liking this would you guys recommend that I go back and watch that too?

But be prepared for a rough pilot movie, first season, and a few real clunkers here and there. Most of it is good though.

And by now you've seen what Ahsoka becomes, so maybe her starting out as an annoying brat may sit easier with you than with people who didn't know where her character would be going back when the show originally aired.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I still sort of miss her calling R2 "Artooie". I thought that was kinda cute. Skyguy can gently caress right off though.

Way back when the Ahsoka/Vader confrontation was first teased, I had this vision of him calling her "Snips" to get her to lose her poo poo.
In the end, though, with considering what we got, flippancy wouldn't have worked in that moment.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Roach Warehouse posted:

I laughed pretty hard at Chopper almost-certainly blooping out "I have a bad feeling about this" as Zeb started dragging the droid back to base.

Yeah, I had to watch that twice to make sure it was what I thought it was.
Normally I'm not the biggest fan of the Chopper voice effect - it sounds too close to someone literally saying "wahp waaahp wahp wahp waahp" into a microphone, but this one time it worked out nicely.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
I have to admit I teared up a little during Sabine's rant/swordfight at the end.
On the one hand my brain goes "wow, that's a really clumsy exposition dump that probably should have been parcelled out more carefully over the last few seasons", on the other hand something about the combination of the music, the shot compositions and Tiya Sircar's voicework just got me emotional. Or maybe I'm just happy that the worst character in the crew finally becomes interesting.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

They're a planet of Boba Fetts

Someone in a podcast recently described them as "watered-down Klingons", which I think is pretty spot on.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I think that's what I really love about this show. They do a pretty great job of making a show for newer fans while peppering in the stuff for die-hard, long-time, overly analytical mega-nerds like me/us.

I loved the fact that Obi-Wan talked about "old wounds".
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Wounds

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

When did they show up in Clone Wars as the reason for powering the death star? I don't think that is true.

There was a bunch of unfinished episodes that they released after the show had ended - the "Utapau" arc, I think. It ended with Obi-Wan and Anakin securing a huge kyber crystal from some enemies, and it was strongly hinted that given enough energy, this crystal could power a huge weapon.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Catching up with season 2. That first half is rough, and aimless.

And now I'm in the back half and good god is the show not firing blanks.

For some reason this has been mostly true with both Clone Wars and Rebels: The first half is a bit of a mess, and then the second half is where the strong stuff happens. I've heard multiple podcasters comment on this as well, so after a few years of this you almost have to wonder if it's by design. To what end though, I can't imagine.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Chickenwalker posted:

I feel like they were pretty explicit with this, but...

What was he saying after his line about the will of the Force being that Jedi die? That he was the will of the Force?

"Perhaps it is the will of the Force that the Jedi and all your kind perish. And I serve the will of the Force."

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I did, it made the show all the sweeter. What happened to Asajj?

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Disciple-Star-Christie-Golden/dp/1101884959

She gets hired by the Jedi to assassinate Dooku, falls in love with Quinlan Vos, and dies.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

I guess this is the inspiration for that one guy in TFA? The "Traitor" guy?

Possibly. It may also have inspired the scene in the first episode of Futurama where Fry gets beaten up by the cops with laser batons. ("Gentlemen, please, there''s no need to use force!")

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

Tarkin was pretty enjoyable, as opposed to Lords of the Sith which was a slog to get through, mainly the writing. Unfortunate - Vader + Palpy having adventures should be fun! Alas.

For what it's worth, for me it was exactly the other way round.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If you didn't see the new Battlefront 2 is using the immediate aftermath of Endor as its story, so that's pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kae-JjbLsgA

Nice bit of continuity from the comics to see one of these guys in the trailer at about 1:15
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sentinel_(The_Contingency)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

tsob posted:

The episodes he was with Mace Windu were pretty good too, and actually humanised the character a little.

Jar Jar getting jiggy with an alien queen while "Mastering Mace" is relegated to sidekick status is a concept that really should not work, but I'm so glad it did.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

The one with the space bankers has the best Anakin moment in history.

Which one is that? It's been a while since I've seen the episodes, and so far the best Anakin moment for me is his resolution of the Satine hostage situation.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given we're getting side-movies like Rogue One and the Han Solo movie, I actually think a big-budget Game of Thrones-esque Star Wars series is perfectly possible now.

Wait until after the Kenobi standalone movie and Episode 9 are finished. By then they should have amassed enough props, set pieces, costumes and ships from six movies that they can recycle to make the show look reasonably good without having to spend a metric fuckton on each episode.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Is it just me, or does the voice track sound literally phoned in? Like, really low quality audio?

Sounds fine to me.

Cross-Section posted:

It's serviceable for what it is: A free animated short written and produced for girls aged 6-12.

Yes, and not just girls either. My five-year-old doesn't understand English, but the story is basic enough for him to follow, and he's requested six repeat viewings so far. :)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Next one is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPhiPd-EXCA

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
And number three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL6OPMp4IUY

They've had better voice actresses for Leia in the past. This one sounds really off. I dug the "Yub Nub"-inspired background music though!

The opening shot reminds me of the title cards for the old Ewoks animated series. Compare it to episode 4 "To Save Deej", and you'll see what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqt3y1mr8NQ

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 5, 2017

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I was wondering what happened to whoever originally owned that dress. Then I remembered.

Eh? I mean, it's a bit large to have belonged to Cindel Towani ;)

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 6, 2017

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Number four:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTxJpEkR7CE

It's nice that Anakin feels comfortable enough around Yoda and Ahsoka to be rocking that lipstick.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 6, 2017

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Covok posted:

What is up with Anakin's face? Looks like he's a male model for a fashion magazine in Sweden.

"My father has it, my sister has it... and I have it too."

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Dave continues to tease Schrödinger's Togruta.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Next one is online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPS6Od-oxcc

No idea if Catherine Taber is voicing Padmé again - I can't even remember what her voice sounded like in the cartoon, but this one certainly doesn't sound like Natalie Portman.

One drawback of marketing the show to kids is that the action scenes are excruciatingly slow. This episode especially.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
And the next:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0O1yP9kNo

Eh. Those last two really didn't do anything for me.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I figure Jyn kinda sticks her neck out for kids getting screwed by the Empire since she probably feels a connection to them. There's that frightened kid in Rogue One and then there's this.

I like that the Empire has a regulation that deals with unlicensed pets.

Also, apparently we got a twofer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgNnBNvLB2Y

This is much more like it. Always good to see IG-88, and the fact that the opening shot of this short is the same as the closing shot of the last one gives you the option to imagine that these events happened literally during the same timeframe and the characters juuust missed each other.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

The placement of Sabine's hair is really unfortunate. In the thumbnail it looks like she has a ridiculously pointy nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Ewoks 2.0

• Locked thread