Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

From previous thread:

Cross-Section posted:

New thread's up, take all your hot Thrawn discussions there.

So...what do you guys think of me?

I'm obviously super psyched about this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dave Syndrome posted:

Ashla and Bogan are terms that have been around since the first few drafts of Lucas' original scripts, so it's in keepig with the whole "going back to the well" theme that Rebels has had from day one. Tython, AFAIK, is a relatively recent addition. That's not saying it won't pop up, of course.

Same with Bendu. In the original script, Jedi were called the Jedi Bendu.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

drunkill posted:

Well there is a new trilogy of Thrawn books that Zahn is currently writing, so no doubt they sat down and talked about everything in great detail before he was added to Rebels.
http://www.starwars.com/news/qa-with-timothy-zahn
There was a video at the Celebration reveal too, talking about Zahn and Rebels and Filoni but I'm on mobile and can't find it right now.

Pretty sure it's just one book, not a new trilogy. The link you posted backs that up, it only talks about the one book, Thrawn, and how it will span several years, from his first encounter with the Empire to the events of Rebels.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

It drives me crazy that in Disney XD's massive list of cable providers you can sign in with to watch their shows online, mine, Bright House, still isn't an option.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Loved the first episode back. Thrawn was Thrawn-ing it up, not taking the bait but instead focusing on the bigger game. But I will say, for a Star Wars kids show, I was not expecting the main character to mind control someone into suicide. That was...dark.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kesper North posted:

I was taken aback, yet pleased, because it makes it pretty clear that Ezra is doing something really hosed up without even needing any of the other characters to moralize at him about it.

Kids shows overall are darker than they used to be, I think. (I don't entirely think this is a bad thing. Reality is a tough neighborhood.)

Oh I'm a fan of them doing it. Actual stakes. No, "Ezra, you're approaching a dark line!" He's crossed that line already. Now what happens next?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Phoenix Group's force wasn't bait, but Thrawn letting them go was definitely him focusing on bigger game. He knows (or at least should based on previous engagements the Empire has had with them) that they have a few Alderannean Cruisers and some more corvettes that weren't present to cover the theft. And the only reason they'd steal old bombers is ambition to strike at larger and more important targets. Crushing part of Phoenix Group now would just make the rest more cautious. He probably wants them to get more cocky and willing to make more brazen attacks so they expose themselves further.

Also, it wouldn't be too much of an rear end pull if those Y-wings had trackers hidden in them. Since he suspected the theft ahead of time.

Oh sure, I guess I didn't mean literal bait. I just meant the smaller prey that the Imperials would have normally just gone after. He's playing a game, and this trap didn't spring a large enough target.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sith Happens posted:

Thrawn has some original Ralph McQuarrie art in his gallery:

https://twitter.com/PaulRMQ/status/816713388986429441

Awesome little detail.

That's fantastic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

"Luke, you are the last of the Jedi™."
*Jedi is a registered trademark of the Jedi Order, and is not intended to imply general force user.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 10, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

twistedmentat posted:

It just struck me that it's odd no Rebel's characters are in Galaxy of Heroes (the fairly fun and not as evil as most mobile games unless you want to get into high level competitive play). There are Clone Wars characters like Cade Bane, Ashoka and Fiver, but no Sabine, Kanaan, Kallus or whoever.

Eh, I think they'll get around to them eventually. An upcoming event adds Darth Nihilus from KOTOR II, so I think they just plan on slowly working through their massive character list. poo poo, we're still using "Clone Wars Chewbacca" and Luke Skywalker as seen on Tatooine with a rifle, even though Cloud City Luke is in the game, just not playable. They're focusing on a long game for this.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Covok posted:

I just noticed that the guy on the right in the foreground has blaster earrings.

Yeah, blaster earings is everyone's favorite detail in that picture. Well, that and the fact that he's seated next to Eugene Levy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i goth the Sith Assassian from the event, waiting for Nihilus event to open right now.

And yea, adding new characters is probably the best way to get people to spend money on mobile games. According to someone on reddit, it would have taken $100k to max out Krennic and the Death Trooper, and I'd not be surprised a few people paid that.

Yeah, I'm blown away by what people pay for this. I remember when General Grevious was first introduced, I thought it would take months until people built up enough shards to blow in the shard shop to get him up to speed. Later that day, someone in my guild introduced his level 7 Grevious. I can't imagine what he spent to do that.

Like, the game is slow moving if you freeplay it, but it's completely possible. I just have to be okay with the fact that I will get a level 7 Darth Vader sometime around the heat death of the universe.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Wookieepedia is obviously a treasure trove of collected and collated knowledge of all things Star Wars, but is there anything that traces the changes to various stories over the years?

I'd love to know how Vader's (and everything else's) back story changed around before the prequels were released.

Copying/modifying a post I made in the Star Wars book barn thread, because this book is exactly what you want:

If you want more about the different drafts, this book is a must read. The Secret History of Star Wars by Michael Kaminski. He poured over the various drafts of the first six movies (it was written in 2008), interviews with Lucas and Kurtz and Kasdan (and others), and published notes to put together a timeline of what Star Wars was at various times in it's history. It's amazing. I've sang it's praise in the book barn thread various times, and summed up some crazy poo poo from it (like the original drafts of ROTJ), but it's universally accepted in the thread as the definitive history. Every once in a while I pick it up and read a random chapter. We were clearing out books recently, and my wife held it up and said, "This book has 4 bookmarks in it, so I'm guessing you want to keep it?" Just keep in mind this is (I believe) the only book this guy has ever written (it started as a PDF he posted on his website), so the writing is occasionally a little rough.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheCenturion posted:

I also liked that Thrawn's SD was identified as the Chimera

Oh I missed that. Nice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

According to IMDB it's still James Arnold Taylor

That's for the holocron scene at the beginning. Old man Ben is played by Stephen Stanton.

I loved it. Obi-Wan has reached another level of understanding with the Force. Maul was completely outmatched, and had already lost the moment he showed up. Everyone else can busy themselves with fighting the Empire, but Kenobi has a higher purpose, and the Force is with him.

It was perfect.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

Yep, that was a pleasant little surprise. You start the Binary Sunset cue, you best let it finish. :colbert:

Also, this Pablo tweet from earlier should provide a bit of insight as to what they were going for in regards to the climax of the episode:

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/843105374601465856

Yes! I knew it reminded me of something! Pablo gets it.

It's honestly one of my favorite moments in the show. It's the exact opposite of "light saber helicopters" from last season.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 18, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Logical1234 posted:

Lots of good words.

This is a good post.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

This is going to be your college dissertation, isn't it? Or like that website setup with a full breakdown of the West Wing episode 17 People, maps of the building and all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Moon Slayer posted:

Wait, what? Why would they do that? I remember that episode, it was good but nothing special.

No idea. I think he just wanted to write a "thing", so he picked this. It's actually rather interesting, if odd in concept.

http://seventeenpeople.com

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Colonial Air Force posted:

I realize Obi-Wan may believe this, but Vader did bring balance to the Force.

Prior to him falling, there were a whole lot of Jedi, but only two Sith. Afterwards, there are only ever 2 of either until the end of ROTJ.

But, even if "balance" is intended to mean "get rid of the darkness", it's Anakin who comes back from the darkness and kills Palpatine. Luke was just a catalyst.

Luke was the reason. Vader was the means. Because of Luke, balance was brought to the Force.

It works either way, really, because obviously without Vader there's no balance either. It's just that, Vader, in a galaxy where Luke and Leia died along with Padme, does jack poo poo about bringing balance. Luke is the key.

e: Oh, and officially, yes, balance is not a numbers game, because Jedi (are supposed to) represent balance, and the Sith represent chaos and darkness.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 20, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Quite frankly I like the idea of the Death Star's beam being a giant lightsaber that they're just expanding and contracting through planets

Good news! There's a book with just what you're looking for!

Yes, this is a trap.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bad Moon posted:

I remember reading in a book when I was a kid about Luke sitting in Obi Wan's house, staring at a forge and using the Force to remove all the impurities in a light saber crystal and practically making GBS threads himself as a moments distraction would cause the whole thing to explode and probably kill him. I always liked the idea as I thought the idea that a Jedi having a light saber was an implicit acknowledgement of their mastery of the Force and Luke getting his as an inheritance was a sloppy short cut due to desperation

What was that from? I don't think it wa the novelizations of the movies but maybe it was?

So not a novelization of the movies, but about as close as you can get, given the weird history/project surrounding that book.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hakkesshu posted:

Darth Vader is really good and is one of the few non-OT properties to actually treat him like a character with vulnerabilities and fears, and not just the most badass fuckin walking tank in the galaxy (though there are those moments too).

It also has one of my favorite moments in either the old EU or the new EU. Vader finding out that the person who blew up the Death Star is a god drat Skywalker, and everything that means. It's amazing, and completely re-frames The Empire Strikes Back. Because it confirms that Vader knew before the Emperor tells him in the hologram scene that he knows he has a son, and not only that, but has been spending the whole movie using the massive power of the Empire to not find the Rebels, but find Luke. Vader is so different between ANH and ESB because he's become obsessed with finding Luke, taking chances going into the asteroid field, killing anyone around him who is making this harder, etc. And he's loving furious with the Emperor, but trying to keep his emotions under control so The Emperor doesn't detect his plan to betray him. Because he was lied to. The most pivotal and tragic moment of his life, one that has defined who he has been ever since, was a lie. And now he knows. And all of this is shown in a couple of frames, with Vader flashing back, and quietly raging until it boils over, spider-webbing the window in front of him.

It owns.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is that sequence available to see anywhere because holy poo poo

Best I can find, but this cuts off the moment after this, where he reaches out to Palpatine, who immediately senses his anger, and basically tells him to cool it, and remember where his loyalties lie.

https://comicnewbies.com/2015/06/04/darth-vader-learns-luke-is-his-son/

edit: Oh yeah, reading again, I forgot one part. He also thinks about how he almost killed his son, not knowing it was him. The situation Palpatine put him in was almost a closed loop, killing the son he didn't know he had.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Make sure you use either of the links, they have more than just that one screen cap above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah they're going to be animated shorts filling in some "gaps" in the movies, all about female characters. Where possible, they're using the original actors. It's also partly (mostly?) to advertise a new toy line, which are basically action dolls (but as a Star Wars fan and a person with a daughter, they are super cool).

• Locked thread